Let's tone down the outfits — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Let's tone down the outfits

Chasind.3128Chasind.3128 Member ✭✭✭
edited August 7, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Don't get me wrong, many of the outfits are downright amazing! Like the wedding attire for example. It changes its look for a different race and gender. By far the best, yet we have so little of that type-As a racially changing outfit.

And can we please for the Love of Lyssa have an oversized Witch/ Wizard hat that gives us Hair!

Many of the outfits we do have though are either not quite there as far as aesthetic or they're really strange and fit no theme and there even some in between. Some outfits we have are even from GW1 but strangely looked better in GW1. (Gwen's outfit and Elona outfit.)
Some outfits look like you're ready to go to a Blizzard Cosplay contest (Put together cheaply or overtime but still gimmicky)
The point is too, you don't have to show so much skin to look good really Or have a bunch of useless tassels or cheap looking flames that look more like steam that were added because why?

The Timekepper outfit looks awesome! But my problem is, we have so many far out outfits and the simple ones we do have we wish we could change somehow.
Here are some examples of outfits whether practical and fit for a Heavy Class or extravagant but not overdone.
Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Look Ma! No silly underboob
Example 4
Example 5
Example 6
Example 7

Comments

• SnowHawk.3615SnowHawk.3615 Member ✭✭✭

I don't see where these can only be for heavy classes, but for any- and yes I agree the practicality of outfits given are low- I think the only decently normal one is the Anise and Rox one. The majority of the outfits are highly impractical unless they're deity based but that's what happens when anet doesn't hold an outfit design contest at least 1 time a year.

• nekretaal.6485nekretaal.6485 Member ✭✭✭

It would be nice to see account bound versions of the town clothes tonics "for sale" in the gemstore, preferably in the exchange table for black lion statues.

• Chasind.3128Chasind.3128 Member ✭✭✭

@Malhanjia.1452 said:
    I'm still hoping for the option to turn off shoulders on some outfits. Like the base of an outfit is really nice but I really don't like the oversized shoulder bits especially on a male character.

Yeah, many of the outfits have either a silly looking headpiece (Why, Anet??) or oversized shoulders (Again; why Anet???)

@nekretaal.6485 said:
    It would be nice to see account bound versions of the town clothes tonics "for sale" in the gemstore, preferably in the exchange table for black lion statues.

That would be nice, or even GW1 armors that aren't altered by GW2 designers. *hint hint Anet

• How about we get 2 outfits per release then people can choose a toned down one or a sultry one. Me being for sultry obviously.

@Lambros Augustus.6594 said:
    How about we get 2 outfits per release then people can choose a toned down one or a sultry one. Me being for sultry obviously.

There's nothing wrong with sultry, as long as it makes sense (generally does for mesmers & not for Warrior)

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Chasind.3128 said:
    Whoever is designing the outfits I think is a little out of touch with the playerbase.

One would hope that ANet's marketing team would have a pretty good idea of what would sell versus what some people ask for.

/me shrugs

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

They're selling really kitten well if they keep making them. We just have to accept at this point that outfits are easy and efficient to make, so they will keep being released. If you think they look good or not doesn't matter, it's highly subjective anyway. I own like 22 outfits, I enjoy all of them & they definitely fit a theme. Or I can simply dye them to make them fit.

Very passive aggressively chuckling, because I'm totally not mad on the Internet.

• Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2018

@Chasind.3128 said:

@DietPepsi.4371 said:
    It's been said before, but yes, this X 1000. Too many over the top options, not enough modest, tasteful options in this game. That's true for weapons and armour skins too, not just outfits.

(Also 100% agree that the wedding outfit, and all it's variations are stellar. <3 )

In forums I never see people requesting more over-the top outfits or obnoxious animations, I've seen several posts about more relatable outfits that fit the core of Guild Wars. Like corsets, poofy sleeves, feathers, leather belts, sword holsters, better looking robes etc. Yet, we keep getting silly outfit more often than we really should.
    Whoever is designing the outfits I think is a little out of touch with the playerbase.

You would think wouldn’t you that ANet can see what sells. If they see that “over the top” outfits sells better than a plain outfits then that tells them what the players really want, despite what people might say on the forum. After all, it’s the people who don’t like the outfits who are more likely to post their opinions, not the players that buy and are satisfied.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• OrbitalButt.5708OrbitalButt.5708 Member ✭✭✭

I will never, under any circumstances, purchase an outfit.

• @OrbitalButt.5708 said:
    I will never, under any circumstances, purchase an outfit.

lol

• starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Chasind.3128 said:

@DietPepsi.4371 said:
    It's been said before, but yes, this X 1000. Too many over the top options, not enough modest, tasteful options in this game. That's true for weapons and armour skins too, not just outfits.

(Also 100% agree that the wedding outfit, and all it's variations are stellar. <3 )

In forums I never see people requesting more over-the top outfits or obnoxious animations, I've seen several posts about more relatable outfits that fit the core of Guild Wars. Like corsets, poofy sleeves, feathers, leather belts, sword holsters, better looking robes etc. Yet, we keep getting silly outfit more often than we really should.

Thats a little narrow minded don't you think? Simple fact about game Forums: People complain loudly about things they don't like, but people rarely make a big deal about things that are ok. So it stands to reason that people who like these things are satisfied, and too busy playing to come on the forums to complain about how happy they are.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Chasind.3128 said:

@DietPepsi.4371 said:

You would think wouldn’t you that ANet can see what sells. If they see that “over the top” outfits sells better than a plain outfits then that tells them what the players really want, despite what people might say on the forum. After all, it’s the people who don’t like the outfits who are more likely to post their opinions, not the players that buy and are satisfied.

I'm aware of this, but I'm not saying stop making obnoxious looking outfits, just make more practical ones just as often

@Rauderi.8706 said:
    I've always been a fan of smaller silhouettes and more intricate detail (ie, the opposite of WoW and a lot of what GW2 has put out over the past few years). I'm far more likely to appreciate good texturing and dye channels over ginormous pauldrons with baby faces and headpieces that can hold an entire board game...

I agree, Often times the outfits are quite there for me and many of my friends/ guildies so of course we don't buy them. The last outfit I know I've bought was the Beta Mesmer outfit when it finally released. It was slimming, practical (in it's own way, like a nobel) That and the wedding attire, also practical but it was Race based.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Chasind.3128 said:

One would hope that ANet's marketing team would have a pretty good idea of what would sell versus what some people ask for.

/me shrugs

Very true! If only they could do both

• AzureTerra.1642AzureTerra.1642 Member ✭✭✭

The ability to turn off shoulders exists for normal oversized bits so why cant it be done for Outfit oversized bits

• Scar.1793Scar.1793 Member ✭✭✭

@crepuscular.9047 said:
    i said this before, i said again... vote with your wallets

WE WANT ARMOR SETS, NOT OUTFITS !!!

RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018

This, I love my leg/head/shoulder/hand armors but can’t find a decent chest armor for my Charr. Saw the Fallen Balthazar outfit and it looks good but come on so many outfits and you can’t mix or be creative with them. Armor skins are not only better but seriously except newbies who don’t have good looking skins and people with really bad taste who uses outfit H24? I got the halloween succubus outfit, noble-like outfit, Balthazar outfit, and a few others I cannot recall right now. I never use them more than 10 mins. Some of them have really low res textures.

• juhani.5361juhani.5361 Member ✭✭✭

@Fraghound.5730 said:
    Those examples, oh I wish they were in game! I've never been a fan of outfits with a ton of effects and stuff like that (my favs for example are the clothing tonic outfits, the hoodies, jungles explorer - you get the idea) so personally I would very much welcome some outfits that are toned down that were simple and cute.

Not just those examples, but all of the outfits on the Pinterest pages were really nice :) I'd love to see some sensible outfits for sale-- and pants for light armor classes.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see more outfits without skirts of any kind.

Just, you know, make an outfit and stop before you add a raggedy buttcape or skirt.

• Swing.6439Swing.6439 Member ✭✭✭

I'd like outfits to stop existing as a whole, I prefer to mix and match. Wish they'd make new armor sets.

• Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2018

@Carighan.6758 said:
    I wish we'd get less gimmicky, overly gaudy, stuff.

I mean, sure, there's plenty stuff which isn't, options, bla bla. But really the game looks so bad nowadays whenever players are around. Bright glowing white outfits with sparkles flying off everywhere, riding pink-glowing burning bunnies... what is happening? Where is that high fantasy MMORPG we used to play? When were all the graphics designers fired and an AI exclusively trained on LSD-induced paintings took over?

When were all the graphics designers fired and an AI exclusively trained on LSD-induced paintings took over?

You make it sound like ANet is designing outfits with no input from sales. That’s exceptionally unlikely. Businesses follow the money. If that’s what sells then that’s what will be designed. If plain things brought in the cash then that’s what you’d see. A game that doesn’t have a subscription but is dependent between expansions on people buying from the gemstore is going to sell what people want.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭

Since I learned on the forums that town clothes can be converted to outfits, I've had a couple of characters in that. So, another vote for armor or outfits that are stylized, but not over the top or overly martial in nature.

• Aeon.4583Aeon.4583 Member ✭✭✭

Ha-ha-ha =)
    It's been my dream for years to have some kind of undershirt cloth slot. Just to cover Assassin Coat UnderBoob =)
    Glad to see i am not alone in this.

• Ephemiel.5694Ephemiel.5694 Member ✭✭✭

If they do that, then this little indie company may not have enough funds to keep the game up.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ephemiel.5694 said:
    If they do that, then this little indie company may not have enough funds to keep the game up.

It's not an indie company, nor is it little...it is 100% owned by NCSoft(therefore not independent) and has somewhere around 300 - 400 employees(not small but not large either).

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Hyper Cutter.9376Hyper Cutter.9376 Member ✭✭✭✭

@DietPepsi.4371 said:

There's tons of "modest, tasteful" skins (basically all the crafted stuff, for starters), you basically never see them for that exact reason, they're not interesting enough for most people to use.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

they need to separate headgear, so we can use the outfit headgear on armor and vise versa.

• starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

@sorudo.9054 said:
    they need to separate headgear, so we can use the outfit headgear on armor and vise versa.

So what you're saying is we need a BlackLion hat box?

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

no, what i am saying is that we should be able to use armor head skins with outfits and vise verse.

• Girlyvader.9078Girlyvader.9078 Member ✭✭
    edited August 10, 2018

@sorudo.9054 said:

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

no, what i am saying is that we should be able to use armor head skins with outfits and vise verse.

Already been answered by devs that the outfits use a separate system from the armor skin system, which is part of why it is quicker to churn them out [not having to deal with each piece clipping also helps, but realise the base armor system is largely legacy design; if you look at the legacy armor skins you got with GW2 Heroic edition, you might notice their texturing is a lot cleaner than that found on most of the other base game armors]. Honestly I'd settle for them importing more of the GW1 'Elite' armor skins as gem store skins; given the legacy code is from GW1 and the oddly inconsistent texturing on the three known directly copied armor skins from GW1, I suspect the armors from that are at least partially importable, and there were some very nice armor sets in that game... some that would need to be avoided too [anything for the female elementalist: that istan elementalist outfit? It's more modest than the actual GW1 Istani armor set it was based off was.] but most in the elite category were better than what GW2 provides now.

• starhunter.6015starhunter.6015 Member ✭✭✭

@Girlyvader.9078 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

Already been answered by devs that the outfits use a separate system from the armor skin system, which is part of why it is quicker to churn them out [not having to deal with each piece clipping also helps, but realise the base armor system is largely legacy design; if you look at the legacy armor skins you got with GW2 Heroic edition, you might notice their texturing is a lot cleaner than that found on most of the other base game armors]. Honestly I'd settle for them importing more of the GW1 'Elite' armor skins as gem store skins; given the legacy code is from GW1 and the oddly inconsistent texturing on the three known directly copied armor skins from GW1, I suspect the armors from that are at least partially importable, and there were some very nice armor sets in that game... some that would need to be avoided too [anything for the female elementalist: that istan elementalist outfit? It's more modest than the actual GW1 Istani armor set it was based off was.] but most in the elite category were better than what GW2 provides now.

Not completely true, there was a bug/glitch a few years back you could do with outfits and headgear. Involving swapping between outfit on/off while under water. It would glitch out and let you wear your normal head gear on the outfit. So the systems are quite similar just by alone being able to click the head gear to off removes the head gear of the outfit. Adding a correct channel though to allow 3 choices instead of 2 may be the problem.

• DietPepsi.4371DietPepsi.4371 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2018

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:
    There's tons of "modest, tasteful" skins (basically all the crafted stuff, for starters), you basically never see them for that exact reason, they're not interesting enough for most people to use.

The basic crafted skins are that: Basic. They may be modest, but they lack the intricacy and detailing of other high-end modest armour skins that make them look visually appealing. e.g. Chainmail chestpiece vs Phalanx chestpiece.

You stand to benefit more from making friends than you do making enemies.

@Girlyvader.9078 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:

GW1 has this system for quite some time already and since GW2 is made on top of GW1 the code already exists, it's more a matter of taking the time to use this system and intergrade it in GW2.

• Celsith.2753Celsith.2753 Member ✭✭✭

I just wish they'd think a little more about the headpieces. So many outfits I haven't bought because the head piece is overly large or extreme - like the most recent one. It's ok with some because you can at least hide the head, but then i'm left wishing I could use one of my other head piece skins in place.

885k+ WvW kills
    Diamond No Life
    [HUNT] Predatory Instinct

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.