The new EOTM arena is nice, but far to small - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

The new EOTM arena is nice, but far to small

Comments

• @Sojourner.4621 said:

@RandomNameDude.8263 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:
    We'll have a larger version coming out in the nearish future.

Why make it so hard for yourself? You could've just made this one bigger and there wouldn't be any problem!? This is unbelievable. Am I dreaming?

You also promised that we'd get a larger guild hall arena. Never happened.

You have for the millionth time since 2012 managed to indirectly tell the GvG community (what's left of it) that you still don't give a s***.

They didn't actually say they'd be making this arena larger, they said they would have a larger version coming out. It's possible that this one will stay and that a still larger one will be added, and that maybe this one isn't intended for GvG in the first place.

Note: If people are seriously THIS angry maybe folks should take a step back and remember it's a game... put it down, go outside... It's not worth it.

I'm not angry, I'm just amazed. I don't even play GvG anymore but I still care about the community because I know how fun GvG could've been if Anet gave a tiny little d*mn.

• @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

THANKS A LOT guys, really thank you!!
    OS size would be just perfect if that can help ^^

• It would be nice if we had somewhere that was determined as it aint nice coming through the portal to people waiting to gank you while you load

• Jski.6180Jski.6180 Member ✭✭✭✭

Why did it need to be its own land mass the center of EotM is a great size and you can make more then one lair of it. All you have to do is remove the npc and traps and give a portal to the center. Do you think ppl still play EotM for balance ppt like game play lol.

• reapex.8546reapex.8546 Member ✭✭

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@reapex.8546 said:
    I tried to find the arena but I did not see the npc, has it been disabled?

its like gate asura gate

Thank you :D

• Bless papa BenP

• Frick.2635Frick.2635 Member
    edited July 25, 2018

We're increasing the size of the Mists Arena rather than adding an additional one. For reference, I'm including some size numbers I received from the map artist.

Obsidian Santcum is about 3.6k x 3.6k
    Current Mists Arena is approximately: 2.9k x 3.3k
    The updated version will be about 3.5k x 4k.

Its good to see the size being increased, but do these measurements use a different unit than in-game skills? While I can reproduce the size of the mist area the numbers for Obsidian Sanctum do not seem accurate. From side to side it appears to be closer to 4.5k range (edit: from east-west), also most fights there use North-South start positions, increasing the starting distance due to one team starting beyond the ring (Which makes 3.6k x 3.6k not really make much sense). The portions of the arena floor with uneven terrain such as the river but also the rocks on the sides are also an issue, I think most players interested in this would consider edges that require jumping as not being in the combat area.

All this said, 3.5k distance is probably enough if it can't be changed further, and I know a lot of players appreciate the work you're putting into this.

• Threather.9354Threather.9354 Member ✭✭✭

:disappointed: I want 2 arenas. being spoiled brat

Ri Ba - WvW Commander/scout/roamer
    FSP/alt somewhere
    Diamond Legend
    Overconfident [OCD]/Peak Time [Peak]
    Sharing group focused builds for WvW http://www.tinyurl.com/ribabuilds

• Where's the Arena? Which part.

• Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭✭

It needed a larger version indeed, but overall the new map-arena is so beautiful! Please don't remove anything, specially the river, keep all of these environments! :)
    Such a beautiful map, like a forgotten mystical Aztec theme, love it! :heart:

| Separatist | Nightmare Court | Inquest | White Mantle | Sunspears | Loyalists | Ascalon | Kryta | Ebonhawke | Elona | Istan | Kourna | Vabbi | Cantha | Luxon | Kurzick | 71 characters | "Rally to me, Ascalonians!" "Keep Ascalon in your heart." "May the Gods protect you." "Be blessed by the Six."

• The only problem is that "nearish future" in anet's words is probably several months...

• LetoII.3782LetoII.3782 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ben's being great about this
    Let's not bite too hard at the guy

[HUNT] the predatory instinct

• GDchiaScrub.3241GDchiaScrub.3241 Member ✭✭✭✭

@LetoII.3782 said:
    Ben's being great about this
    Let's not bite too hard at the guy

Is that not how we show him our love?

D:

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] always dies on inc masters of the Die On Inc technique where Prince Jarvan just died.

Holy Warriors of [Kazo] following Kazo doctrine guided by, Our Lord and Commander, Zudo in the holy Trinity of Him and his two firm glutes.

• Please disable siege deployment also if possible! Otherwise lovely to wake up to this <3

Hoxworth
    Pirate Chips [LAYS]
    Only have 12 guardians

• Those numbers sounds good ben! am very suprised with how fast you communicated back with numbers

• shaggy.2768shaggy.2768 Member ✭✭
    edited July 26, 2018

That sounds actually a good size being oval will allow for places to stage at.
    however myself and afew guild members where worried about there being water in the arena, since its going to hide AOE's

We're increasing the size of the Mists Arena rather than adding an additional one. For reference, I'm including some size numbers I received from the map artist.

I really do appreciate this, atleast we are getting something for GvG's

• Victory.2879Victory.2879 Member ✭✭

To be useful for something other than just two balled up blobs running into each other, it needs to be much bigger, with height changes too, so that some tactics are involved. Flat surface is just for mindless gvg ball blob fights- and then it can be as small as you like, as they are all balled up anyway.

A couple of objectives with bonuses could then be introduced, a couple different paths, maybe a guild lord and some guards and ooooohhhh look, gvg! Then a league, different size fights from 5v5 to 25v25, imagine! It would almost be like gvg used to be for the first 5 years of the real Guild Wars game, and only 5 years after GW2 came out...

But that would involve balled up blob guilds having to use actual tactics as well as some actual work from the devs, so I'll just go back to dreaming now.

You actually responded to the feedback, wow. Now the only question is, when will this happen and will it happen at all.

• Klipso.8653Klipso.8653 Member ✭✭✭

How many times have I tried using that line?

-Balwarc [ICoa]

• Kaiser.9873Kaiser.9873 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2018

As large as the OS arena please. Make the GH arena as large as the OS arena while you're at it please. No siege there please. Polls would be a good way to decide these things prior to spending the man hours coding it.

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭

@Kaiser.9873 said:
    As large as the OS arena please. Make the GH arena as large as the OS arena while you're at it please. No siege there please. Polls would be a good way to decide these things prior to spending the man hours coding it.

Like all the polls done during the debate about DBL? Honestly, while sometimes I cringe at Anet's decisions, I still prefer they THEY are the ones that make decisions instead of the community.

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Raider (Rank 4444) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 29k Achievment Points
    Calamis Fatima / Kawagima / Hanna Flintlocke

• XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Kaiser.9873 said:

Like all the polls done during the debate about DBL? Honestly, while sometimes I cringe at Anet's decisions, I still prefer they THEY are the ones that make decisions instead of the community.

You forget that it was anets decision to introduce dbl for more than 6 months after HoT release in it's broken state without rotating with abl?
    You forget that they had planned on quarterly rotation of that map with abl until it was suggested to run 2abl1dbl instead of rotation?
    Like anet's decision to design dbl the way it is without input from the community until it was put into the last minute beta stress test?
    Yeah, no, anet's decisions isn't always the greatest either. Like designing a new arena that had no area restrictions from previous content, yet still ended up making it smaller than the guild hall arena that they were told for 3 years were too small.

They still need to take player input on things, which as we see now has already resulted in improvements for this new arena.

Another derailing post. ^^
    EBG North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed!
    Maguuma: Free ppt, come and get it!

• Kaiser.9873Kaiser.9873 Member ✭✭✭

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Kaiser.9873 said:

At least with player input they get an idea of what we want rather than some of the weird(putting it mildly) decisions they have made on their own. They have the option to ignore poll results (2month rotation versus the one month rotation we voted for), but at least they would know what the majority voted.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Kaiser.9873 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Kaiser.9873 said:

At least with player input they get an idea of what we want rather than some of the weird(putting it mildly) decisions they have made on their own. They have the option to ignore poll results (2month rotation versus the one month rotation we voted for), but at least they would know what the majority voted.

In the rotation poll one month wasn't the majority. Actually, there WAS no majority. However, 3 months and 1 month both combined received greater (albeit just slightly greater) than 50% of the votes and were the two that received the most votes.

They split the difference.

Which underscores the major problem with polls here: everyone is convinced that those who voted against the 'right' answer are filthy casuals and shouldn't get a vote.

Come to think of it, it kind of mirrors politics in the new millennium.

• shaggy.2768shaggy.2768 Member ✭✭

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 is there any idea on when the new arena will be coming out? when four winds ends? or abit later since its from the ground up again?

looking forward to test it out

• reapex.8546reapex.8546 Member ✭✭

@shaggy.2768 said:
    @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 is there any idea on when the new arena will be coming out? when four winds ends? or abit later since its from the ground up again?

looking forward to test it out

Ben said, "We're increasing the size of the Mists Arena rather than adding an additional one. "

• The new, updated arena looks fantastic, great job

@Frick.2635 said:
    The new, updated arena looks fantastic, great job

Did they change the EOTM one already?

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Frick.2635 said:
    The new, updated arena looks fantastic, great job

Did they change the EOTM one already?

Sorry.. got my answer

Edge of the Mists

Increased the size of the Mists Arena.
    Siege equipment can no longer be placed in the Mists Arena.

• Jski.6180Jski.6180 Member ✭✭✭✭

Its good i like it thank you for doing this. Now if we could get an hand on class balancing in wvw hehe.

• Loosmaster.8263Loosmaster.8263 Member ✭✭✭

Much better job on this one guy/gals!!!

Fàther (TK)
    Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

The arena change came 5 months too early, kitten anet : p

Glad you like the new version!

It's also the speed at which the change took place which was not expected.

Thank you again.

• Klypto.1703Klypto.1703 Member ✭✭

Would be nice if we had a revamped skirmish chest update maybe the standard vendor tab listing we have now and then one based on wvw rank. Somewhat give eotm purpose again for the kind of fights we used to have there before HoT came out. Just a suggestion mostly because you have a lot of long time wvw players that these rewards are sort of mediocre but better than nothing at the same time as well you have newer players not around for the days of eotm maps being populated and at a disadvantage on the things with rank requirements because of this. One last suggestion too with the obsidian weaponry I would say that if they are to be taken somewhat seriously as some kind of reward to choose from that the materials and look of them shouldn't be of a chessboard or circus joke looking item. Maybe another design weapon thing kind of like the thing that came out recently because those look way better than what obsidian weapons look like.

• starhunter.6015starhunter.6015 Member ✭✭✭

Love the new version, this is how I wish the guild hall Arena where.

@starhunter.6015 said:

Love the new version, this is how I wish the guild hall Arena where.

Agreed. Then guilds could fight guilds on their own server.

But... it would not be WvW rules though... They noted that it can't be done because of where the guild halls reside.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.