World Restructuring Update 1

@"Redponey.8352" said:

Because there NO MORE FUN (no more server competition, no fun in fight)

Peoples most common argument on why WvW is dead is because there is no competiton and server loyalty, and servers are just filled with filthy PPTers so thats why "fight guilds" constantly move around as opposed to regular WvWers.

Using this argument against alliances is disingenious as its one of the main arguments for alliances having little to no impact on this aspect.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like there is a lot of work going on for the upcoming alliance system. Thank you for the update. Regarding the rewards/tourney/leaderboards information, I can understand the hesitation on a tourney and I get that everything would have to be up and running and balanced before any sort of rewards could be in place. However, there should already be a leader board in place. Seeing your guild, alliance and personal contributions to a given match would be rewarding itself, things like tracking KDR, caps, etc would go a long way in balancing the alliances in any case. I can't see the long term logic in saying it is a big " if ". Everything else sounds cool. Again, thank you for the update :) very much appreciated.

Okay to summarize:

1. Not everyone thinks alliances will be better.
  2. Some people would like a return of more competitive rewards / chests / tournaments in WvW.
  3. Linking has killed the server identity of many smalle rpopulation servers.
  4. All the problems seem to be tied to players stacking and being able to transfer off server, entire guilds.

I feel that some sort of balancing needs to happen to boost the smaller servers, and that guilds should be kept in tact. So the Alliance system is a way to rebalance and keep guilds in tact. The players have already started to build alliances even if ANET hasn't finished making the final version of it known. Most of Mag moved to FA. Most of JQ moved to SOR etc... So Again I offer that you let the players rebalance over some period of time before ANET has to step in. If we have 6 strong alliances and 6 high pop servers that will be strong even if guilds leave, then we have mostly what we need to make 4 competitive tiers for the players.

Just give everyone a 6th guild slot for the Server alliance and rebalance the ones that don't select their server.

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:

I ask, because I'm a pretty casual WvW player, honestly, and I'm currently on a T1 world. Everyone else at that level is way more serious than I ever expect to be, so I'm a bit of both an easy target, and inclined to feel like a bit of a hinderance -- even if I play competently with the groups, I'm likely to make unwise decisions because I just don't have the same commitment they do.

Ideally you can find a guild that has a similar play style and approach to WvW that you do and join them. That way you have a group that plays like you'd like.

what about solo players who still play wvw for fun and only log in daily for the social aspect of their server... we can all just uninstall? because you will be shuffling players around every so often? if all our friends are being placed on different servers we just have to wait several months before we can play together again?Fixing wvw is easy... create solid leaderboards and remove expansionbuilds from the gamemode... wvw gone downhill since HoT

@TheMagician.9238 said:

I ask, because I'm a pretty casual WvW player, honestly, and I'm currently on a T1 world. Everyone else at that level is way more serious than I ever expect to be, so I'm a bit of both an easy target, and inclined to feel like a bit of a hinderance -- even if I play competently with the groups, I'm likely to make unwise decisions because I just don't have the same commitment they do.

Ideally you can find a guild that has a similar play style and approach to WvW that you do and join them. That way you have a group that plays like you'd like.

what about solo players who still play wvw for fun and only log in daily for the social aspect of their server... we can all just uninstall? because you will be shuffling players around every so often? if all our friends are being placed on different servers we just have to wait several months before we can play together again?Fixing wvw is easy... create solid leaderboards and remove expansionbuilds from the gamemode... wvw gone downhill since HoT

That's why we have guilds.

Look at the bright side - now you can be friends with literally everyone in WvW after enough rotations.

Hey!

I've recently came back to the game and I'm happy to read this post (and initial post about restructuring). This leaves me with a few questions however regarding the mechanics of Guilds and world transfers.

The post mentions, when there is capacity between 90 and 99%, you can join if you are in the respective WvW guild. Now, my question is, how is WvW guild defined? My guess would be through the preferences of your guild missions, but how about PvX guilds? Or a PvP guild that likes to do WvW every now and then as a guild event. Could anyone clarify this?

Aside from that, I've been playing with someone I met in game for years now. We always PvP'd together and we wanted to roam together in WvW aswell. I'm on Far Shiverpeaks and we decided for him to transfer to my server. I even paid half of the gold to support him. Problem however was that the server was full. Which shouldn't be a big problem since people come and go on servers, and a spot will be free some times. However, to my shock, there is no que system! You just have to be lucky when pressing the transfering button! Is that something that can be changed? Something like this:

• 100%: Can't join and player gets in a que. Players who are in a WvW guild from that server get prioritized in the que.

Lastly, how does account inactivity work with servers? I imagine there are accounts that haven't been active for months on full servers. Can such an account be untied from servers, opening a spot for people who want to join a server? Or is there already such a system? If so, where is the line?

@The V.8759 said:Hey!

I've recently came back to the game and I'm happy to read this post (and initial post about restructuring). This leaves me with a few questions however regarding the mechanics of Guilds and world transfers.

The post mentions, when there is capacity between 90 and 99%, you can join if you are in the respective WvW guild. Now, my question is, how is WvW guild defined? My guess would be through the preferences of your guild missions, but how about PvX guilds? Or a PvP guild that likes to do WvW every now and then as a guild event. Could anyone clarify this?

Aside from that, I've been playing with someone I met in game for years now. We always PvP'd together and we wanted to roam together in WvW aswell. I'm on Far Shiverpeaks and we decided for him to transfer to my server. I even paid half of the gold to support him. Problem however was that the server was full. Which shouldn't be a big problem since people come and go on servers, and a spot will be free some times. However, to my shock, there is no que system! You just have to be lucky when pressing the transfering button! Is that something that can be changed? Something like this:

• 100%: Can't join and player gets in a que. Players who are in a WvW guild from that server get prioritized in the que.

Have to disagree with the guild members getting priority. If they aren't on that world to begin with for 8 weeks they wait. They would be included in the next world grouping if they are part of the alliance and the guild as part of the WvW guild.

The only way it wouldn't is if that alliance is at 500 members. And if it is, they either need to kick someone else, or you would need to wait.

The alliance cap is there for a reason.

Lastly, how does account inactivity work with servers? I imagine there are accounts that haven't been active for months on full servers. Can such an account be untied from servers, opening a spot for people who want to join a server? Or is there already such a system? If so, where is the line?

Inactivity affects the numbers for both relink and world status currently, not number of accounts. There could be 3,000,000 accounts on let's say JQ, but if play hours are only at (as a random hypothetical) 1/3 of a full server the world will open.

As far as alliances? The alliance and guild leaders can kick people from the alliance/guild. But if someone is inactive, then they would likely need to be kicked from their alliance / guild prior to the next world creation season in order to open up a space

This should be a game first of all, and a social outlet second. Why should detrimental decisions to the gamemode be made so that you can fulfill your social needs? If you want to be social, either form a guild with those players, or maybe go out and make friends. I see these shitty arguments and way of playing the game, where people spend half or more of their playing time talking to people. I really don't get it. I like to talk to my guildies too, but above all I like to play a fucking game.

So actually yes. Please uninstall. So your 'playtime' stops getting counted towards servers' population.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Raymond Lukes.6305"Is there an update you can share about the state of the reconstruction?I have the feeling that is only a excuse of anets wvw team so player keep playing the unbalanced unique wvw mode only GW2 has in such a scale.Maybe i my feeling is wrong but that is what i and my guild think since there is no real updating and transparently of the state what y do atm., what is done and what have to be done as next. I wish for a bit more like we "plan on doing it till 2030 or doing it in GW3" or at least update the post regually.

@trixantea.1230 said:I hope we'll see changes to veteran creatures in WvW. These mobs are just an easy PvE content which only serves as a daily filler.

While this has nothing to do with the thread, I'd prefer those who are in WvW just for easy dailies be able to get those quickly and leave. The more time-consuming you make those dailies, the longer people will take up a spot that might be better used by someone wanting to do serious wvw.

@BlueMelody.6398 said:

@"trixantea.1230" said:I hope we'll see changes to veteran creatures in WvW. These mobs are just an easy PvE content which only serves as a daily filler.

While this has nothing to do with the thread, I'd prefer those who are in WvW just for easy dailies be able to get those quickly and leave. The more time-consuming you make those dailies, the longer people will take up a spot that might be better used by someone wanting to do serious wvw.

Last time I checked, this thread was about a rework to WvW and as far as I know, the veteran creatures are part of this game mode.

Anyway, while some serious WvWers are waiting in the queue, there are 3-5 PvE players at each veteran waiting 10min for the respawn. These veteran creatures only encourage more casual PvE inside a competitive environment.

The veteran daily could be easily changed to something easier like "Big spender" or "Master of monuments".

@trixantea.1230 said:

@trixantea.1230 said:I hope we'll see changes to veteran creatures in WvW. These mobs are just an easy PvE content which only serves as a daily filler.

Last time I checked, this thread was about a rework to WvW and as far as I know, the veteran creatures are part of this game mode.

Negative. This thread is explicitly about the world restructure system to address population imbalances. It has nothing to do with other aspects of wvw.

Not going to derail with further replies on unrelated wvw topics.

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:We are currently leaning toward alliance size being 500.This is technically easierwe already support groups of this size (guilds)

@Blaeys.3102 said:Does anyone else see the hole in that logic?

Yes.

Alliances are guilds. The other changes are irrelevant to that technical fact, as those changes apply to worlds (servers). The real change in player grouping is that the world component is now an involuntary grouping, and two guilds of >= 251 members are not allowed to ally.

Maximum roster WvW guilds aren't a trend now, which is good for this plan in a technical sense. This plan would have killed 2012-2015 WvW even faster than the 2012-2015 plans killed it.

@Anvil Pants.3426 said:

@Raymond Lukes.6305 said:We are currently leaning toward alliance size being 500.This is technically easierwe already support groups of this size (guilds)

@"Blaeys.3102" said:Does anyone else see the hole in that logic?

Yes.

Alliances are guilds. The other changes are irrelevant to that technical fact, as those changes apply to worlds (servers). The real change in player grouping is that the world component is now an involuntary grouping, and two guilds of >= 251 members are not allowed to ally.

Maximum roster WvW guilds aren't a trend now, which is good for this plan in a technical sense. This plan would have killed 2012-2015 WvW even faster than the 2012-2015 plans killed it.

WvW guilds was not really larger in the past compared to know - there where just so many more of them with more active players. Even community guilds (ie the 250-500 man behemoths) is a later idea that was only really made viable after the 2014 september changes .

Not "allowing" them to ally shouldnt be an issue, guilds always brag left and right about how they are in it for fights against other guilds.

in a small scale, maybe it is time for players to consider joining wvw guilds or make their own and stick together.

a healthy guild of 5 to 15 active players can work. when you have these players, and the mindset that they can enjoy the game with their nos, we really wouldn't have any issues every 8 weeks.

you get placed in a dif world? is ok, you are with your friends.

but if you plan alliances, then that should be fine too. but atleast for the new players, casuals, etc. it may be time to choose a side. or go solo and enjoy what every 8 weeks bring or transfer etc.

gut feel though, anything without a when, even an estimate, may never happen at all.

so... hoping anet will let us know when.

• 2 weeks later...

We are a PvX guild on SFR with 35 members on the roster. Some of them have been AWOL for many months, others have zero interest in WvW. A handful of us, 3-5 at most, play WvW. 1 of those 3 is on Desolation and is also part of a much larger WvW guild. We've been looking forward to Alliances so that we could WvW with our friend.

If the overall guild size factors into WvW Alliances, how will it take into account guilds where only a fraction of the players are active in WvW?

I wanted to mark our guild as WvW because we have the majority of the Guild Hall WvW upgrades completed, but based on the information I've read so far, I'm not so sure I should. We want to continue rep'ing our own guild in WvW and use our guild WvW items -can we do that, without tagging ourselves as an alliance, and still WvW with our friend (rather than against which is how it is now) so long as he is also rep'ing our guild?

@"fizzypetal.7936" said:I wanted to mark our guild as WvW because we have the majority of the Guild Hall WvW upgrades completed, but based on the information I've read so far, I'm not so sure I should. We want to continue rep'ing our own guild in WvW and use our guild WvW items -can we do that, without tagging ourselves as an alliance, and still WvW with our friend (rather than against which is how it is now) so long as he is also rep'ing our guild?

From what Anet had said, guild rep is separate from your WvW guild. So you can rep whatever you want.

But on the question "should I make my guild a WvW guild", thats hard to say until we know the limitations of alliances.

Unless you want to go solo with the guild only and under the assumption there is a guild count limit, small guilds setting themselves as WvW and joining alliances is very ineffective. So in this case, the 5 man in your guild should probably also be in a 100+ "dummy WvW guild" thats part of an alliance even if you rep your main guild 24/7.

If there is no such limitation or if it goes by player counts instead of guild count, then its another matter and your small guild could easily be an alliance member without taking up important slots.

Hopefully Anet does it good but we just dont know.