[Poll] Weapon for the next Elementalist Elite Specialization

Sodeni.6041

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:I would just like an improve of some existing weapons instead of just bringing another one . More doesn't mean better. Dagger mainhand need some love

Improving existing weapons shouldn't be part of an Elite Specialization. The question is which weapon should the next elite spec get, they can't add an existing weapon to a new elite spec.

@"hugo.4705" said:

why not rifle?

Ugggg. Please not that if your going for magic gun use ffta games with gun mages or if you must use anime there sooo many sniper magic user that are better then that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaika_-_The_Coffin_Princess

Far better magic gun mages and i would love to see this type of magic tech in gw2. It would fit so well with steam punk.

We have fairy greatsword so GS will be very unlikely.Both Weaver and Tempest are melee oriented with their swords and small radius overcharges. With this said I think any other melee weapon is less likely to happen too.Also, we need range. We do have a staff, yes, BUT while the elite specs work good with it, they do not concentrate around the staff. But staff users enjoy aoe mid-range damage.I think there will be a new elite spec and it will introduce single target long range dps and possibly the Longbow or Rifle.It is logical, it is needed to improve the ele gameplay in every aspect and it will be fun too.Arcane Archer or Arcane Gun?While few contest the seductive allure of commanding arcane powers, there are those elementalists who become obsessed with the natural mysteries of black powder.Combining this emerging technology with their considerable arcane skills, they transform firearms into a powerful focus.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Head Kracker.4790 said:I'm going to say other: My other is not a weapon but a armor class. Give us heavy armor for the next class change and call us Magic Knights. While I don't know if its possible or even preferred that's what Id like. Otherwise Gimme longbow.

I always love Magic Knights, but the armor class thing is an interesting idea. I don't know how possible it would be either (whether the current system is that hard-coded, or if it would just run into too many complications regardless), or how much it would even change on its own, but it brings up a much grander question. The Elite Specialization topic often runs into questions of balance, how many the game can even support, etc., that I could discuss, but are so encompassing that they're better for another topic. However, one that's more directly relevant to what the next weapon should be, is how tied to weapons should the Elite Specializations even be.

It was a neat idea at first, but frankly even by the second set it started to feel weird to me. For one, getting a one-handed weapon instead of a two-handed one is a big deal, because it's the difference between 3/2 new skills and 5. For another, since Elite Specs are mutually exclusive, the classes aren't really growing over time. This is simpler for balance, for sure, but it means that the new weapons can only be so interesting. Mesmers can get a new main hand or a new off hand, which means they can't mix and match them. This hits some classes harder than others. Some classes barely have any choices to mix and match as it is, resulting in less build variety than it appears at first, and getting a new weapon in an expansion doesn't really change that if it's only ever one extra weapon. I'd really love to see new core weapons for some classes in an expansion, but that's another topic.

As a result, however, I find myself almost hoping that Elite Specializations experiment with something different. I'm not going to expect anything new, but we can discuss the possibility. It may sound a bit underwhelming, but an option I'd be fine with myself is an Elite Spec giving different skills to an existing weapon, or even the same weapon as a different Elite Spec, but with very different skills.

I voted rifle because I think we are missing a long range burst option, we have staff but it feels more like sustained dps.Rifle or longbow are both interesting for this range dps, but I think for burst rifle is more fitting than longbow.

Now for the theme I think something connected with alchemy would be interesting (and it would also explain why we use a rifle, because we are applying the magic knowledge of eles to the alchemy knowledge of engi)

On the other hand if we are really going to Cantha I could totally see a longbow - martial arts style of game play, maybe connected to the ascension (closer to the start) storyline from the original gw.

Let's hope they won't make this a ninja profession in any way.

Any modern tech should be saved for engineer. A gun or rifle on an elementalist would break the game for me and soil the profession.Makes no sense that Gandalf, Raistlin or Dumbledore would grab a sniper rifle and take out tagets, relying on modern tech, rather than using their ancient, arcane and superior magical abilities. /rant.

@lLobo.7960 said:We got long range aoe with staff;We got mid range burst with scepter;We got short range PBAoE with dagger;We got melee range with sword;We got OH defense with focus;We got OH offense with dagger;We got OH support with warhorn;

We had an OH Espec with tempest warhorn...We had a MH Espec with weaver sword...

We have shortbow, hammer, axe, shield and greatsword conjures...

The logical option next is a long range single target LONGBOW.

Arcane Archer Elite spec.Longbow and offensive support. Attunements become weapon enchantments you provide to the group for bonus dmg and effects.

I like this idea, perhaps the weapons skils this time remain the same but have additional effects that change based on the attunement instead.For example:

Longbow auto fire attunement, slow speed but applies burning.. closer range = longer burning duration.Longbow auto water attunment, slow speed but removes conditions on allies it passes through to target, has small chance to weaken target.Longbow auto lightning attunement, fast speed, low damage and applies Vun on enemiesLongbow auto earth attunement, medium speed, applies bleeds.. at long range has small chance to cripple target.

I like greatsword, but I don't like the way melee builds on elementalist can feel less versatile due to the limitations imposed upon the class in exchange for having so many skills available via attunements. I was thinking of ways the next elite specialization could address this and this is what I came up with as a vague concept to start with...

Concept: The elementalist regains the ability to swap between two weapons in combat, but is restricted to only 2 attunements determined by trait selections within the new trait line. The elementalist also unlocks greatsword, which is primarily a melee weapon in fire and air attunements, but changes to a ranged weapon when used in earth and water.

That's all I have so far.

I had two thoughts on this:

1. Simple solution, allow the Trident to be used on land. Make it a long reach melee weapon (akin to the Daredevil Staff).
  2. And more difficult would be alternate weapon modes for existing weapons. Staff becomes a melee weapon, Dagger(s) 1200 range or more, etc. Imagine a knife maniac build that charges throwing knives with elemental magic. Perhaps a bit too much like Gambit, but I like the idea of utilizing what we have in a different way rather than adding more icing on the underpowered cake.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@"lLobo.7960" said:We got long range aoe with staff;We got mid range burst with scepter;We got short range PBAoE with dagger;We got melee range with sword;We got OH defense with focus;We got OH offense with dagger;We got OH support with warhorn;

We had an OH Espec with tempest warhorn...We had a MH Espec with weaver sword...

We have shortbow, hammer, axe, shield and greatsword conjures...

The logical option next is a long range single target
LONGBOW

Arcane Archer Elite spec.
Longbow and offensive support. Attunements become weapon enchantments you provide to the group for bonus dmg and effects.

I like this idea, perhaps the weapons skils this time remain the same but have additional effects that change based on the attunement instead.For example:

Longbow auto fire attunement, slow speed but applies burning.. closer range = longer burning duration.Longbow auto water attunment, slow speed but removes conditions on allies it passes through to target, has small chance to weaken target.Longbow auto lightning attunement, fast speed, low damage and applies Vun on enemiesLongbow auto earth attunement, medium speed, applies bleeds.. at long range has small chance to cripple target.

Yea that was the suggestion I did a while back here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/76602/new-elite-spec-disciple-weapon-swap-and-longbow

@Timelord.8190 said:Greatsword would be awesome. But Anet is probably not gonna invest that much time and work into it so it will probably just be a one-handed weapon. :(

Tbh, the point that Elementalist doesn't have a single weapon choice that doubles in their conjured weapons kinda stands out.Maybe Anet wants to avoid adding these weapons to elementalist to make it easier for the enemy to tell if they are currently using a conjured weapon or not? Especially since all the conjured weapons exist as skins in this game. Volcanus being the equivalent for the greatsword.