Why does so much of the armour look so bad?

To be honest, I don't like most armors/outfits from the gem store either. I think that as much as the graphics are superior in GW2 to GW1, the designs are not. A part of the issue is also how they do the character models.

Dunno if you noticed, speaking about the female characters, but all skirt/dress type pieces go around the character model causing an unnatural look for them where a chain skirt, instead of hanging down, is sitting around an invisible metal inner skirt that all skins are draped on top of. That can't help matters.

But overall I think the design team is not as strong as the GW1 team was and they are spending more time on intricacies than actual design. I have the same issue with legendary gear and weapons in particular. All extremely intricate but overall meh or just completely over-the-top.

I haven't seen any armor in GW2 that equals the design of the warrior's elite kurzick armor for example. Sometimes less is more and that's a lesson I wish that the current design team would learn.

So far I think the most successful adaption is the Exemplar Attire Outfit, at least the female version and that's the only outfit I spent money on. I might get the monk one as well but they are both based on GW1 armor sets in the end.

@"Gehenna.3625" said:To be honest, I don't like most armors/outfits from the gem store either. I think that as much as the graphics are superior in GW2 to GW1, the designs are not. A part of the issue is also how they do the character models.

Dunno if you noticed, speaking about the female characters, but all skirt/dress type pieces go around the character model causing an unnatural look for them where a chain skirt, instead of hanging down, is sitting around an invisible metal inner skirt that all skins are draped on top of. That can't help matters.

But overall I think the design team is not as strong as the GW1 team was and they are spending more time on intricacies than actual design. I have the same issue with legendary gear and weapons in particular. All extremely intricate but overall meh or just completely over-the-top.

I haven't seen any armor in GW2 that equals the design of the warrior's elite kurzick armor for example. Sometimes less is more and that's a lesson I wish that the current design team would learn.

So far I think the most successful adaption is the Exemplar Attire Outfit, at least the female version and that's the only outfit I spent money on. I might get the monk one as well but they are both based on GW1 armor sets in the end.

You need to look harder.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Inquest_armor_(heavy)

With armor, and especially shoulders, I see a lot of the old WoW school of silhouette design. Stuff that isn't intricate but is forced to stand out.Unfortunately, I can't speak to the greater issue of having to design and retexture for different body types, but I feel like there could've been something in place to manage that.We've got on one side, concepts and visual designs that just don't look..."good", and on the other, what is probably 10-year-old tech making rigging difficult to avoid stretching and clipping. I'd love to see the designs focus on more simple silhouettes and more intricate textures.

What is truly odd is that it's my opinion that the OP asked an invalid question, yet can answer at great length. The OP might have better asked; "Why don't I like the armors of GW2?"

• A large number of the armors are the same model. Slightly modified and retextured. Thus we get oh so many long coats.
  • A decision was made that modesty was desired. So no "scar armors", no bikini or loin cloth armors. So some of the standard (and expected) styles of armor are missing.
  • Less distinctive armors. In GW1 you could tell a characters profession by the armor worn. GW2 has only 3 types of armor. (hopefully we are past getting banned for mentioning GW1)
  • As stated previously a small bit of dissatisfaction with stock armors would hopefully nudge players to the Gem Store. The game does have a Gem Store centered economy.

I'm not sure that stating that Anet has bad designers is a fair statement. Many of the issues above are accounting decisions. Good design can overcome some restrictions, but deadlines are deadlines. Perhaps saying we have cheap armor may be a better view. I am glad that we've past the "more spikes are better" period, and we seem to have hit a peak of smoldering fire effects. I just wonder if we are coming into a cycling ball/particle phase?

Solutions? Probably not spend more money. I suspect that outfits were tried as a solution, but don't see that many in game. Does clunky armor ruin my game experience? No, but it is just one more of the issues that come to mind when I see alternative games available. I still play the game, I still tell myself I'm having fun. - Zet

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"Gehenna.3625" said:To be honest, I don't like most armors/outfits from the gem store either. I think that as much as the graphics are superior in GW2 to GW1, the designs are not. A part of the issue is also how they do the character models.

You need to look harder.

)

I have to disagree with you on that. The Kurzick elite armor is definitely the better design in my view. And you did prove another point of mine with this example. Particularly on the human female model, look how weird the skirt sits on top of and around the hips. It looks like she's wearing a barrel. If this is the best you can do, then I stand by my opinion.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:To be honest, I don't like most armors/outfits from the gem store either. I think that as much as the graphics are superior in GW2 to GW1, the designs are not. A part of the issue is also how they do the character models.

You need to look harder.

)

I have to disagree with you on that. The Kurzick elite armor is definitely the better design in my view. And you did prove another point of mine with this example. Particularly on the human female model, look how weird the skirt sits on top of and around the hips. It looks like she's wearing a barrel. If this is the best you can do, then I stand by my opinion.

(pinches bridge of nose)

You might not like the way it looks, but its very much based on the Kurzik armor set.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:To be honest, I don't like most armors/outfits from the gem store either. I think that as much as the graphics are superior in GW2 to GW1, the designs are not. A part of the issue is also how they do the character models.

You need to look harder.

)

(pinches bridge of nose)

You might not like the way it looks, but its very much based on the Kurzik armor set.

I made two main points:1) In my view the armor designs of GW1 are superior to GW22) The most successful outfits in GW2 are based on GW1 designs

So whether or not you feel an armor set is based on a GW1 set, makes no difference to those points. So perhaps you could enlighten me as to what point you were trying to make exactly because at the moment I don't see the point of your reply to my comment if you just meant to say that this armor set looks like a GW1 set. Which... I do not agree with either by the way.

I mean really?http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/gwwikia/images/7/75/Warrior_Kurzick_Armor_M_gray_front.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080821032731I see no such similarities.

I don't really care about different looks, personally.

Diversity is good in that regard.

What gets me is the obvious gaps in quality.

The armour sets that have been in the game since launch understandably have way worse textures/models than the more recent stuff. There is plenty of it that I would like to use, but it looks so jarringly outdated that it is impossible to mix and match it with the more up-to-date armour pieces without it looking awkward.

Wouldn't mind Anet going through all those older sets and giving them a newer, crisper coat of paint as it were.

Lets turn this question on it's head: what would make armour in GW2 look better?

So far we've got a lot of vague comments insulting the armour without being specific, saying things like 'it's bad' 'it's ugly' 'they rushed making it' but very few specifics and those are all focused on the negatives. So far I've got:

• It all looks the same - in particular too many 'buttcapes' & trenchcoats and not enough trousers for light armoured female characters
  • Too much of a focus on modesty
  • Old armour needs it's textures updated - the new ones have so much more detail
  • Almost all post-release armour is over-the-top and ridiculous with too much detail, all the best ones have been in since release
  • Too much clipping
  • Skirts stick out too much
  • Needs simpler sillouettes and more intricate textures

So going by that Anet need to make a wider variety of armour with simpler silhouettes, both more and less detailed textures and 'intricacies' but also make it more revealing, and avoid clipping. I guess the last two fit together - if it's more revealing there's less of it to clip. But if I was asked to draw some new armour based on that feedback I really wouldn't know where to begin other than maybe less modest trousers for women, so I guess hot pants?

@"sorudo.9054" said:you can put lipstick on a pig, it still is a pig.i think 98% of all armors are plain horrible, if they would remove all the "never" used armor skins it would be quite an empty inventory.

If they removed the 'never used' armor skins, the wardrobe inventory would look exactly the same as it does now.

I've got two thoughts... My apologies for making them so outfit-centric.

I often feel that the designers come up with some really beautiful armor and outfit ideas, but then get carried away. I think the Crystal Nomad outfit is a good example of this. Great core look, great textures, great theme -- that is taken too far. If I could turn some of those floating crystals off I'd be using this on multiple characters.

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/gw2-crystal-nomad-outfit-human-female-2.jpg

My other thought isn't all that original -- not that my first one really was. There are some standout elements of some of the outfits, that I would love to be able to mix with other armor skins... Looking at you female Hexed Outfit helm. I bet people would pay good money if they broke up some of the outfits into separate pieces.

Hexed_Outfit_asura_female_front.jpg

I don't dislike the majority of armors that we currently have but I would like more variety. Medium esp. is lacking in this regard - nearly every armor is a long coat. Perhaps the 'problem' is that much of GW2 armor is designed as combat wear while town clothes were going to be the casual wear? Heavy armor suffers from this more than others imo. Outfits do a decent job of expanding options but unfortunately by their very nature restrict mixing and matching so are often not a great alternative.

I don't like that most of the armors don't "go with" their intended wearer. For instance, there are a lot of "heavy" armors that involve leather and "medium" armors that involve metal. They just don't jibe well. There are even "light" armors that look more like "heavy" armor. I'm also very much over the buttflap thing and the trenchcoat thing. I would also throw money at an honest to goodness floor-length, all the way around the body robe or dress or even skirt that isn't split to the nethers. Heck, the one set (feathered, I think) has butt cleavage! Really??? Oh, and what about the bullet things hanging at an odd angle from the Norn light cultural armor? But of all these, I think my biggest complaint is that an otherwise beautiful armor has one aspect of it that ruins it. At least with armor, you can replace what you don't like with something from a another set that might be ok with it. With outfits, there's no "fixing" the part that's ugly. (I'm looking at you, funny looking ribbon things in the Elonian Elementalist outfit!)

So, to summarize:

1. No more butt flaps and trench coats
  2. Make heavy look like heavy and light look like light
  3. Robes, please, without the slit in the skirt that goes up to "there."
  4. No more odd appendages in outfits
  5. And finally, more skins, less outfits.

The armor isn't bad, it's just... wonky.

@Danikat.8537 said:Not only do different people have different tastes but it can depend on the character too.

What suits my female human ranger looks absurd on my female norn engineer, and vice versa. Exact same armour but their body shape (which is not that different) the colour scheme and how I see the character and what I imagine them wearing makes a big difference. All the armour I like on my ranger (like the ascended medium coat, Twilight Arbour armour set, carapace/luminescent etc. looks like a mess on my engineer, and all the ones she wears look either too big and bulky (if it fully covers her) or just trashy (if not) on my ranger. (Who I swear glares daggers at me if I put her in anything more revealing than a sleeveless top.)

When you start looking across the full range of races, genders and other customisation options there's even more of a difference.

That reminds me. The banded leggings looks fine on a human female but on a norn it's more like a barrel ...

@"Ashabhi.1365" said:I don't like that most of the armors don't "go with" their intended wearer. For instance, there are a lot of "heavy" armors that involve leather and "medium" armors that involve metal. They just don't jibe well. There are even "light" armors that look more like "heavy" armor. I'm also very much over the buttflap thing and the trenchcoat thing. I would also throw money at an honest to goodness floor-length, all the way around the body robe or dress or even skirt that isn't split to the nethers. Heck, the one set (feathered, I think) has butt cleavage! Really??? Oh, and what about the bullet things hanging at an odd angle from the Norn light cultural armor? But of all these, I think my biggest complaint is that an otherwise beautiful armor has one aspect of it that ruins it. At least with armor, you can replace what you don't like with something from a another set that might be ok with it. With outfits, there's no "fixing" the part that's ugly. (I'm looking at you, funny looking ribbon things in the Elonian Elementalist outfit!)

So, to summarize:

1. No more butt flaps and trench coats
  2. Make heavy look like heavy and light look like light
  3. Robes, please, without the slit in the skirt that goes up to "there."
  4. No more odd appendages in outfits
  5. And finally, more skins, less outfits.

The armor isn't bad, it's just... wonky.

Some of that is also due to the game engine being unable to handle the design properly.

@Doggie.3184 said:Because of buttcapes and because of buttcapes that don't scale properly on certain bodies.

This is probably my biggest gripe with the armour; it scales horridly at times. Some armour that fits wonderfully on humans is so big and gaudy on norn and charr that one has to wonder how it ever passed any QA screen. Female legging/pants that fan out ridiculously and over-sized shoulders are a prime example. Most are nicely designed and textured, but it's their meshes that are so distorted they're beyond use.