Ranger is way too strong 1v1 in WvW

Aridon.8362

It is too hard to kill a ranger, they get too many invulns dodging and stealth and hit like a truck. I block, and they pierce through my shield, I cripple, and they stealth and teleport away, I activate my invuln yet somehow the skill bugs out and allows me to still take physical damage enough is enough my dude. They need a nerf as they have a serious advantage in the roaming scene. I switch to full toughness armor and that bear greatsword skill chomped all of my hp and I'm still questioning how that even happens.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way too strong? it's not even the strongest 1v1 class in game so....Might as well make a thread about Mesmers, Holosmiths or Thiefs being way to strong also while you are at it. Rangers are strong but not too strong and can be killed just like any class. In the right hands of a good player almost any class can be considered "too strong", we just have to get better.

Sounds like the Soulbeast knew how to deal with a Warrior.

As for taking damage when you're invul, it's not a bug, soul beast can stack a good 10s or more of unblockable attacks, very effective for killing some classes such as Guardian, Warrior and Mesmer.

It's really amusing when facing a guardian roamer actually because out of reaction they pop the focus 5 which won't stop unblockables then chain through the blocks/aegis which has no effect and by that stage you can literally see the player spamming dodges and panicking because you're still 1500+ range away safely pewpewing... Or they Judges intervention right into your worldly Impact.

Play one, so you understand what they are doing. I wish you knew how funny this is if you do know what the ranger did. A ranger has 3 different unblockable modes, so no, it's not a bug when he hits you through invulnerability.Another thing I wish you knew is what a colossal pain in the ass a warrior is if you're not set up to counter them. Most of the time I'm not, as I would have to sacrifice efficiency in other ways.

As many mentioned here, yes ranger has many unblockables and they counter blocking builds.Best counter against a ranger IMO is spamming CC. Rangers have low amounts of stability and need to use all the stunbreaks in the world to get away, ofc you need to catch them in melee or have ranged CC which isnt that common.Generally its the best idea to get out of their line of site and ambush them when in melee range.

@"Aridon.8362" said:they stealth and teleport awayI activate my invuln yet somehow the skill bugs out and allows me to still take physical damage

Ranger stealth teleport OP. I hate it too when my fellow rangers do a stealth and teleports away. I think the ranger's stealth teleports should be nerfed absolutely.

"Skill bugs out and i take damage"???Oh of course i forgot about the ranger ability to ignore damage invulnerabilites, shame on you rangers for abusing this bug, you're truly the only class that can do this. It's absolutely not OP not knowing what's actually going on.

@"Faffin.6741" said:Play one, so you understand what they are doing. I wish you knew how funny this is if you do know what the ranger did. A ranger has 3 different unblockable modes, so no, it's not a bug when he hits you through invulnerability.Another thing I wish you knew is what a colossal pain in the kitten a warrior is if you're not set up to counter them. Most of the time I'm not, as I would have to sacrifice efficiency in other ways.

The OP is full of nonsense but there is a lot wrong with that first sentence.

Blocking is not invulnerable. Double endure pain on warrior isn't invulnerable either, it just reduces power damage to zero. This is the exact same functionality as signet of stone on ranger. Unblockable doesn't let you hit through invulnerability nor does it let you do more than zero power damage to someone with endure pain or signet of stone active. If that is happening it's a bug.

That being said, the OP probably didn't realize that endure pain wore off. The only teleport ranger has is with merged smoke scale and that is an offensive teleport towards the enemy. So that's also a blatant misunderstanding of what ranger does.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magebane_Tether_(trait_skill)You have a pulsing reveal to counter stealth as a warrior. Use it. It will also cc them and pull them back to you when they "teleport away." If they are 1 hit KO'ing you with Maul, and that is possible, they are full glass and have very little defense or stability. Chain CC them.

@"sephiroth.4217" said:Sounds like the Soulbeast knew how to deal with a Warrior.

As for taking damage when you're invul, it's not a bug, soul beast can stack a good 10s or more of unblockable attacks, very effective for killing some classes such as Guardian, Warrior and Mesmer.

It's really amusing when facing a guardian roamer actually because out of reaction they pop the focus 5 which won't stop unblockables then chain through the blocks/aegis which has no effect and by that stage you can literally see the player spamming dodges and panicking because you're still 1500+ range away safely pewpewing... Or they Judges intervention right into your worldly Impact.

"Spamming dodges" So tell me what is the counterplay to the stupid mechanic of unblockables? If I don't dodge I'm downed in less than 3 seconds, If I dodge and get the opportunity to pressure, press invuln or go safely in stealth and repeat. And even in melee ranger you can still outpressure your opponentIt's really amusing when people plays such a low risk high reward build and act like pro players.Really a 3 buttons combo made from 1500 range is everything, but definetely not skill based.Just another cheesy toxic easy to play wvw build not much different from mirage and spellbreaker.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

@"sephiroth.4217" said:Sounds like the Soulbeast knew how to deal with a Warrior.

"Spamming dodges" So tell me what is the counterplay to the stupid mechanic of unblockables? If I don't dodge I'm downed in less than 3 seconds, If I dodge and get the opportunity to pressure, press invuln or go safely in stealth and repeat. And even in melee ranger you can still outpressure your opponentIt's really amusing when people plays such a low risk high reward build and act like pro players.Really a 3 buttons combo made from 1500 range is everything, but definetely not skill based.Just another cheesy toxic easy to play wvw build not much different from mirage and spellbreaker.

If you honestly think playing a full berserker ranger as a solo roamer is low risk, toxic and easy to play build then clearly you haven't played it before... All it takes is one competent player to shut it down.

Most of the people who die to this are completely clueless of their surroundings or are extremely bad players... And beating players that bad won't make anyone a pro.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:Sounds like the Soulbeast knew how to deal with a Warrior.

If you honestly think playing a full berserker ranger as a solo roamer is low risk, toxic and easy to play build then clearly you haven't played it before... All it takes is one competent player to shut it down.

Most of the people who die to this are completely clueless of their surroundings or are extremely bad players... And beating players that bad won't make anyone a pro.

Not forcely you have to run full zerk, if you mix up marauder you can still achieve oneshot damage, so playing full zerk is probably just a stupid idea to make yourself think you are such a pro.Man, soulbeast got the tools to make full glass irrelevant. Look at core full zerk warrior, double endure pain, adrenaline health and shield, you won't feel at all you are running full zerk.Look soulbeast, double or single stone signet, block from gs, safe range from longbow, stealth, mobility from gs, unblockables. It's a core warrior with 1500 range, and everybody complains how toxic and easy to play is core warrior in wvw, soulbeast is a copy. The only thing is probably you have less toughness, but against condi it doesn't matter at all, you can have 2k armor or 3k armor it's the same, against power you have the tools to pressure them enough before they pressure you.If you have an opening with beastmode (unblockables), into longbow stun (unblockable cc instant from 1200 range) plus longbow2. 3 buttons as i said and you dropped any profession to 10-25% hp, impossible to recover from that position since you are still 1500.range and keep pressure them.If you said the usual "l2p" and dodge, you wasted already all your dodges and and one stunbreak for a 3 buttons combo. And you can go stealth or even go melee and pressure even more.since the opponent have probably one dodge left from sigil of energy.Soulbeast these days handles 2vs1 without too much effort, same as spellbreaker does.So yeah I confirm, low risk high reward, the "malus" on running full zerk is not relevant at all, not the same as running full zerk revenant for example.

@whoknocks.4935

Say I get a perfect opening on an enemy and they're at 25% hp. What now. I blasted my only ranged CC for damage, so they can heal themselves in relative safety. My burst skills are on at least 10 seconds cooldown

I have the advantage at the moment, heal and range still intact. But I wont be able to uphold my range advantage until my burst is back off cooldown. Long range shot isnt going to finish the job, and my unblockable will have run out by now. Closing a 1500 unit distance isnt very hard.Maybe I smoke assult and switch to melee. Try for a wordly impact to keep up pressure. Not impossible, but likely that enemy will dodge because the combo is obvious. Now my range advantage has been lost and I'm fighting in melee, where other classes often have the advantage instead. Sure, GS has a block and some evades, even a cc. It'll keep me going. For a bit. I rather use those cooldowns to reposition.

Fighting in melee against almost any other class/build will give them the advantage. Even classes with ranged option like holo or staff mirage excell in melee. So it's not a position you want to be in for long.

So by the time my cooldowns for burst are off again i will probably be in melee wether i wanted it or not. Either by initiating it myself, or enemy closing distance. Any advantage I got from opening burst is also gone, aside from classes with physical damage invuln like endure pain. I have to spend cooldowns now to get myself out of melee and into a position to burst.

Also, run-down of skills. A merged rapid fire without sic 'em will land around 9k-11k if all crit, nothing is evaded. Any higher and you forgo signet of stone for sic 'em (you will want another stunbreak than zephyr because you'll end up using it for burst) and wilderness survival for MMS (no sustain, meager condi clear if using bear stance). And no, very few rangers take stoneform over access to might or a call of the wild. Too short duration, too long cooldown.Your LRS will hit 1.5k, maybe 2-3k merged.

It's really not that often you manage to 100-0 someoen from range without them reaching you. Even necroes, the sitting ducks, can catch up to you.

@ChartFish.1308 said:@whoknocks.4935

Say I get a perfect opening on an enemy and they're at 25% hp. What now. I blasted my only ranged CC for damage, so they can heal themselves in relative safety. My burst skills are on at least 10 seconds cooldown

I have the advantage at the moment, heal and range still intact. But I wont be able to uphold my range advantage until my burst is back off cooldown. Long range shot isnt going to finish the job, and my unblockable will have run out by now. Closing a 1500 unit distance isnt very hard.Maybe I smoke assult and switch to melee. Try for a wordly impact to keep up pressure. Not impossible, but likely that enemy will dodge because the combo is obvious. Now my range advantage has been lost and I'm fighting in melee, where other classes often have the advantage instead. Sure, GS has a block and some evades, even a cc. It'll keep me going. For a bit. I rather use those cooldowns to reposition.

Fighting in melee against almost any other class/build will give them the advantage. Even classes with ranged option like holo or staff mirage excell in melee. So it's not a position you want to be in for long.

So by the time my cooldowns for burst are off again i will probably be in melee wether i wanted it or not. Either by initiating it myself, or enemy closing distance. Any advantage I got from opening burst is also gone, aside from classes with physical damage invuln like endure pain. I have to spend cooldowns now to get myself out of melee and into a position to burst.

Also, run-down of skills. A merged rapid fire without sic 'em will land around 9k-11k if all crit, nothing is evaded. Any higher and you forgo signet of stone for sic 'em (you will want another stunbreak than zephyr because you'll end up using it for burst) and wilderness survival for MMS (no sustain, meager condi clear if using bear stance). And no, very few rangers take stoneform over access to might or a call of the wild. Too short duration, too long cooldown.Your LRS will hit 1.5k, maybe 2-3k merged.

Even in melee ranger is not a dead weak profession by any mean, using sword/axe, you have mobility, evade and crazy damage on axe5 even if you are locked.If run gs have gs2 burst on super low cd, a leap, a block, a stun. Even at melee you can still pressure back your opponent.If you are in trouble, stealth plus heal saves you. Ranger heals are one of the bests in the game. 16sec cd on a 50% of your life heal is crazy good, it beats even healing turret with one or 2 water fields, it is activated almost immediately and 16sec cd is crazy low, 20sec cd on a good heal over time is good as well.

It's really not that often you manage to 100-0 someoen from range without them reaching you. Even necroes, the sitting ducks, can catch up to you.

True but you often 100-25 your opponent, or make them waste lot of resources while you are still on full cooldowns.As I said, go beastmode, into longbow4, into longbow2 is easy and rewarding to pull off, even if your opponent survives, guess what, all your utilities, healing, stunbreaks, elite are still there untouched.You are saying after pressing 3 buttons and failing the combo ranger is crazy weak and vulnerable with all the cd ON. This makes me laugh to be honest.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:Sounds like the Soulbeast knew how to deal with a Warrior.

Not forcely you have to run full zerk, if you mix up marauder you can still achieve oneshot damage, so playing full zerk is probably just a stupid idea to make yourself think you are such a pro.Man, soulbeast got the tools to make full glass irrelevant. Look at core full zerk warrior, double endure pain, adrenaline health and shield, you won't feel at all you are running full zerk.Look soulbeast, double or single stone signet, block from gs, safe range from longbow, stealth, mobility from gs, unblockables. It's a core warrior with 1500 range, and everybody complains how toxic and easy to play is core warrior in wvw, soulbeast is a copy. The only thing is probably you have less toughness, but against condi it doesn't matter at all, you can have 2k armor or 3k armor it's the same, against power you have the tools to pressure them enough before they pressure you.If you have an opening with beastmode (unblockables), into longbow stun (unblockable cc instant from 1200 range) plus longbow2. 3 buttons as i said and you dropped any profession to 10-25% hp, impossible to recover from that position since you are still 1500.range and keep pressure them.If you said the usual "l2p" and dodge, you wasted already all your dodges and and one stunbreak for a 3 buttons combo. And you can go stealth or even go melee and pressure even more.since the opponent have probably one dodge left from sigil of energy.Soulbeast these days handles 2vs1 without too much effort, same as spellbreaker does.So yeah I confirm, low risk high reward, the "malus" on running full zerk is not relevant at all, not the same as running full zerk revenant for example.

Chartfish gave a realistic situation and yet there's more to argue but what's worse is that now you're mentioning unrealistic situations like not building full glass but still being able to 3 hit people by using a knock back, rapid fire and hunters arrow all while maintaining a balanced sustain?

Think I'm going to dip out of this one.

@whoknocks.4935 said:guess what, all your utilities, healing, stunbreaks, elite are still there untouched.You are saying after pressing 3 buttons and failing the combo ranger is crazy weak and vulnerable with all the cd ON. This makes me laugh to be honest.

I didnt say that lmao. I just said it's weaker in melee, not helpless.Also, not all your utilities will be untouched. You will most likely have used your elite, be it strength of the pack or OWP as well as quickening zephyr, for your burst. If you're running sic 'em that's another utility used too, leaving only your heal and third utility.Even more so on a dps build you can't realistically use WHaO because then you have zero condi cleanse :v

@ChartFish.1308 said:

@whoknocks.4935 said:guess what, all your utilities, healing, stunbreaks, elite are still there untouched.You are saying after pressing 3 buttons and failing the combo ranger is crazy weak and vulnerable with all the cd ON. This makes me laugh to be honest.

I didnt say that lmao. I just said it's weaker in melee, not helpless.Also, not all your utilities will be untouched. You will most likely have used your elite, be it strength of the pack or OWP as well as quickening zephyr, for your burst. If you're running sic 'em that's another utility used too, leaving only your heal and third utility.Even more so on a dps build you can't realistically use WHaO because then you have zero condi cleanse :v

and then one of the many, many, many, many, many condi mirages will sneeze on you by accident and you're dead.... But warriors/Guardians handle them pretty easy right?

Almost as if it's a game of rock paper scissors lmao

@sephiroth.4217 said:and then one of the many, many, many, many, many condi mirages will sneeze on you by accident and you're dead.... But warriors/Guardians handle them pretty easy right?

Warriors have lots of resistance, but once that runs out they have trouble with mirage too. Guardian on the other hand, especially medi guards, have often a full bar of meditations that all remove like 2 conditions on use. So yeah. It gets pretty easy then.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"whoknocks.4935" said:guess what, all your utilities, healing, stunbreaks, elite are still there untouched.You are saying after pressing 3 buttons and failing the combo ranger is crazy weak and vulnerable with all the cd ON. This makes me laugh to be honest.

and then one of the many, many, many, many, many condi mirages will sneeze on you by accident and you're dead.... But warriors/Guardians handle them pretty easy right?

Yeah, but soulbeast right now is at the same level of power and condi mirage in terms of cheesy roaming.

But yeah now you two are ranger mains defending your profession without accepting a critique which has a sense, the only thing you said is: "and then one of the many, many, many, many, many condi mirages will sneeze on you by accident and you're dead".So because you have one counter (which counters every single profession in the game) so your profession is bad?

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Chartfish gave a realistic situation and yet there's more to argue but what's worse is that now you're mentioning unrealistic situations like not building full glass but still being able to 3 hit people by using a knock back, rapid fire and hunters arrow all while maintaining a balanced sustain?

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Soulbeast_-_Sic_%27Em_Roamer

Actually this is the baseline of all soulbeast roamers out there. An unrealistic situation not building full glass, makes me laugh.That build probably has 10% maybe 15% less damage than full zerk, but in a build which can 100-0 an opponent with all the buffs you manage to use it is an irrelevant damage loss. Instead of critting 30k with world impact you crit 25-27k... What a loss of damage considering the medium health of all profession is around 20k health xD.Now say world impact is easy to dodge yada yada yada, this is true but you don't have only that skill combos, and sometimes even autos can crit up to 3k-4k even on tankier targets.

Think I'm going to dip out of this one.

Yeah, the best thing you can do since you are offering nothing but keep defending your profession no matter what.