Player housing as expa 3 new feature? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Player housing as expa 3 new feature?

Lucius.2140Lucius.2140 Member ✭✭✭
edited August 19, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

As we know Anet would be focusing in a new feature per expansion, woul you like it to be playerhousing?
Player housing in your home instance or in new in games homes?

For the Blood Legion! - 11 charr

Player housing as expa 3 new feature? 166 votes

Playerhousing in new personal home maps.
16%
Just a flesh wound.3589Fenom.9457Razor.9872TwiceDead.1963DietPepsi.4371Mea.5491Fantasy.5321Palador.2170PzTnT.7198Pug.9784hugo.4705zenleto.6179cptaylor.2670Sariel.2143Eloc Freidon.5692CharJC.8365ShadowRy.7531juhani.5361Nash.3974Fraghound.5730 27 votes
Playerhousing in new districts with several players homes.
7%
WhatLiesBeneath.9018Karmapolice.4193Turin.6921Goettel.4389Ferus.3165Courvoisier.1268Cyanchiv.2583Scar.1793DaikonSamurai.6714Patchwreck.2357Felippe.3879Mystik Galaxy.6051Serafyna.2431 13 votes
Playerhousing in the actual "home/personal instances"
10%
Sirius Lemuria Draconis.7864Glox.5942Zaraki.5784Obtena.7952Shikigami.4013Teleoceras.1298sorudo.9054Glacial.9516voltaicbore.8012zombyturtle.5980Hesacon.8735Dreamy Lu.3865Calvsie.3675trixantea.1230MokahTGS.7850Squeak.7093Evueimeimei.5918Olcsonn.9327 18 votes
I will like another feature.
60%
Ariurotl.3718maddoctor.2738Windfire.9726IndigoSundown.5419Loosmaster.8263Abelisk.4527Mirdave.2014Dante.1763Ashantara.8731BunjiKugashira.9754DeanBB.4268Donari.5237Asum.4960PaxTheGreatOne.9472lukey.8951LuckyThirteen.4576starlinvf.1358Blude.6812Musaroxy.2874Skyrum.5483 101 votes
I dont care about the next expa new feature.
4%
derd.6413Talek.6795Pirindolo.9427DedalNort.3627YoukiNeko.6047GenghisKhan.7842RazielSpecter.6295 7 votes
<1

Comments

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

Instanced, and others can visit your cool work and can hang out and stuff, lots of diff lots so you can build, and allow ppl to buy a lot as many tones as they want. Focus on gameplay, forget lore. Don’t worry about where it is on map or ppl having the same lot several times. Gameplay is what matters

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• I want what Donari wants. =)

• Fraghound.5730Fraghound.5730 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2018

Hm not sure if I voted on the right thing...

I don't care if it's in the home instance we have now, a new map or what. I just want it where it's like the home instance now - my own little space that isn't overrun by other players (I can take people in if I want to, but other then that MINE!).

A place I can call my own that I can decorate and look however I want. I love Donari's idea for having options per character on what the house looks like. If I have to do crafting, collections or whatever for house plans and furniture I'm happy with it.

• starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

The problem with this kind of vague wishlisting is how it tends to go around in the same circles for the same reasons every single thread. Rather then trying to replicate something seen in another game, that may or may not had put enough effort into the design, people start pitching original ideas for how it can be used, beyond the already typical applications other games have done.

Mounts needed an angle to be more then just "fast movement", and the maps accommodated that. So what possibly can player housing do that home instances or guild halls aren't already capable of?

• Abelisk.4527Abelisk.4527 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would prefer a feature that involves gameplay. First it was gliding, next it was mounts, then it was...

• Lucius.2140Lucius.2140 Member ✭✭✭

@starlinvf.1358 said:
    The problem with this kind of vague wishlisting is how it tends to go around in the same circles for the same reasons every single thread. Rather then trying to replicate something seen in another game, that may or may not had put enough effort into the design, people start pitching original ideas for how it can be used, beyond the already typical applications other games have done.

Mounts needed an angle to be more then just "fast movement", and the maps accommodated that. So what possibly can player housing do that home instances or guild halls aren't already capable of?

Each player can decorate it at their likeness (cant be done in the home instances, neither in the guild halls). I agree that an extra turn for it will be good, perhaps features for alts, trophies, productivity, etc.

edited August 19, 2018

@Abelisk.4527 said:
    I would prefer a feature that involves gameplay. First it was gliding, next it was mounts, then it was...

If we go about exploration and general moving, i will go either between sprinting, some practical archeology, climbing or more interactions with the enviroment. Of course as a side note to player housing xd.

• Jevati.4328Jevati.4328 Member ✭✭✭

I love the idea of player housing. I, too, want it to be instanced but allow other people in there if you invite them. I want basically what Donari wants. =)

• Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2018

I could not care less about player housing. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp is enough of that for me.

I’d rather they focus on improving gameplay and story, or coming up with new game mechanics.

• I'd pick "other" as an option. I'd like player housing, but I'd like it if we could buy a bit of land in core Tyria (maybe an option of for one in each starting map) to choose where to build it / buy it (the house of course would still be an instance). Alternatively I'd like player housing to be an airship which you could pay a fee to redock at locations in different maps, so you could vary where your 'house' is.

• juhani.5361juhani.5361 Member ✭✭✭

If the design interface allows you freedom, if the furnishings look nice and are reasonably priced, I'd probably play around a lot with a personal home map.

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

To all of you voting for another feature, what feature? What do you think would be equivalent that the game is currently lacking?

If they implemented housing I would want a couple maps with designated areas so you could choose your location. And the build your house the way you wanted it, I.e. over a waterfall or in a cave, or a treehouse. But that would be pretty complicated to make.

Another possibility is having your own ship that you can customize. Could also potentially be mobile that way too.

As far as different features go I could see them adding some kind of cosmetic ability alteration or something.

Outside of these the only thing I can think of would be a new race.

• @starlinvf.1358 said:

The obvious (to me) feature is that if it's a decoratable space (like a guild hall is), then it's my decoratable space. Sure, a solo guild allows that once you recruit some people to help you claim the hall, but it ends up being a per-account space rather than a per-character space. (Example: my noble humans live in a mansion, my street rats live in a hovel, my asura live in a lab, etc.) The home instance has "my space" features - it eventually gets populated per character by NPCs related to the character's personal story - but I cannot decorate it the way I can decorate a guild hall.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Chay.7852Chay.7852 Member ✭✭✭

I won't ever get the hype about the housing. This is not Sims ;) we are heroes and are supposed to save the world not being architects

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

I enjoy house decorating so I'd like that. It's something else to do and it can give content more meaning with housing decoration rewards added to the game. Since not everybody likes it though these items should be at least for the most part tradeable.

I prefer the instanced versions because it allows for different houses in different environments. So you can choose what you prefer or get them all. I'd love a shiverpeaks home and others might prefer a sunnier location. So yeah, that'd be great.

Just as long as they don't mess it up like in SWTOR with poorly placed hooks and over-monetization of decorations.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

@Chay.7852 said:
    I won't ever get the hype about the housing. This is not Sims ;) we are heroes and are supposed to save the world not being architects

Heroes that go around fixing fences and getting food for stock animals...

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't want player housing if it means trading off ANY planned content of the expansion.
    Game comes first, customizable backdrops can come later

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Chay.7852 said:

Thats a part of the world ;) animals need to be saved as well... =)

• Odinens.5920Odinens.5920 Member ✭✭✭

I want WildStar housing or nothin

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't really care and have to admit, I'm not a fan of player housing in general. In just about any MMO I know it's at best a well designed feature which speaks to a minority of players. At worst it's a ton of wasted developer resources for something no one enjoys and which creates ghost towns.

It's one of those more accepted sandbox things which many always get hyped about but then either fail to participate or realize it just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the game.

Sandbox games as MMOs have always been quite niche, having some sandbox elements "work" in a non sandbox game is quite hard to pull off.

I'd be happy though if they managed to succeed simply for anyone who wants this feature. The only downside is the wasted developer resources if it doesn't work.

• Magnus Godrik.5841Magnus Godrik.5841 Member ✭✭✭✭

Playing house is not a feature i want in this game at all. Why is this even debated. I rather have a new map, dungeons, raids or whatever than this. We have the home instance and guild halls. If this is the new feature you an count me out most likely. How about this feature, the abilty for the player to create custom mini dungeons and share it with the community, now thats a kitten feature that would add so much more replayability than me placing a chair here or there.

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭

I would be happy if they add a simple bank in the instance we currently have

"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Playerhousing in the actual "home/personal instances"

Housing of any kind would be a hard sell for me. I keep asking myself why I would want this feature. Collecting trophies and 'stuff' to fill a house seems like tired and lame MMO concept. It's also not inline with promoting social interactions if housing is instanced with very little activity surrounding it for team play.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

I will let ANet surprise me (if they ever introduce player housing, that it).

@Chay.7852 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Chay.7852 said:

Yeah but I also want to have a house where I can relax from all that work, but of course decorated according to my own tastes ;)

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Chay.7852 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Chay.7852 said:

Yeah but I also want to have a house where I can relax from all that work, but of course decorated according to my own tastes ;)

okay, fixing fences can be exhausting... ;)
    I already have a house in our guild hall (Lost Precipice) - everyone in my guild has/can have one since we are a small guild. Personally i really don't need more than that but to each their own.

• NoiseRen.2403NoiseRen.2403 Member ✭✭✭

No. Just no.

• miraude.2107miraude.2107 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2018

You don't have other as an option so...

I would like player housing but more designed like what they already have installed with the guild halls. I thought about just expanding it onto the home instances but some win out better than others. Instead, I think if this becomes a feature, it be a personal guild hall per se. Dragon Watch needs a headquarters. In turn, you can talk to Taimi, Canach or Rytlock and get a visual show of what they think would be a good base of operations according to them and choose the one you would like. After you choose, you do little missions to help get the materials needed and then spruce it up to how you like. Once those base missions are completed, you can then invite people in to show it off, etc.

I would like to place my own items where I want but it depends on how the game is set up and if it allows that. I know ESO can be quite taxing on a computer, especially big places on lower end ones so something that auto adds things, I wouldn't mind as long as it gives you a choice on what you display (like having fixed spots but you can display whatever in that spot so each person's instance will be a little different however it'd be less taxing on computers to generate) to have some control over the look.

As for a feature? A side feature, yes. A main feature, no. This should be something that's added in the main game as an aside, get a letter from the guild thing, much like how the player weapons were added where you can decide if you want to do it or not. I think for a main feature, we are getting more elite specializations for classes (hopefully).

• Dreadshow.9320Dreadshow.9320 Member ✭✭✭

No just make the home instance better like allowing gliding, mounts and scribe decoration and that's all. No need to design a whole new system of instances.

If they do they need to then they need to add a new carpenter profession make all home instances part of WvW and everything breakable and lootable in homes.

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

only if we can put a treadmill in there.

Te lazla otstra.

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2018

I love player housing so much and I only play an other MMO to decorate my house, lol. Everything else I prefer in GW2. If GW2 had player housing I could finally quit that other game. ;c Anyway, I want player houses to be separate instances like in Rift and ESO...

@Mea.5491 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:
    In just about any MMO I know it's at best a well designed feature which speaks to a minority of players.

Just like raids... :)

True, but raids don't create massive empty ghost towns and bind way less developer ressources. ;)

As mentioned though, I'm mostly in favor of any added content which does not adversly affect others and benefits even a minority of the player base.

edited August 19, 2018

Personally one of the advantages i can see of a good and no super expensive implementation of player housing would be that without damaging the well being of other players population you could get a 10 or more % of the playerbase to be more active between patches. Plus by the nature of the resources needed to decorate house, they will go to different content.

Thats very good for mantaining alredy active players, returning ones and new ones: they will see more people.

Basically its a sort of end game.

• Jaunty.6018Jaunty.6018 Member ✭✭✭

I used to be into the idea of player housing in GW2, but now I think it's a bad idea. It doesn't bring people together in the world, it just keeps people cramped up in their instanced homes. Look at what garrisons did to WoW. We need the game to be more social, not less.

@Jaunty.6018 said:
    I used to be into the idea of player housing in GW2, but now I think it's a bad idea. It doesn't bring people together in the world, it just keeps people cramped up in their instanced homes. Look at what garrisons did to WoW. We need the game to be more social, not less.

Thats a good point about managing states, but if they dont produce you dont get rewards there and instead if you need to decorate you need to go out for resources, its the opposite effect than garrisons.

• Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2018

I can't see a way that player housing can be successfully incorporated into the story, as mounts and gliding were, so would not like it to be an expac feature, but would rather have it as a living world or other background type of feature, if implemented. Also, I really would not want a housing system like a lot of MMOs have that puts a large gold or resource requirement so only a few players can have access to housing and decorations, definitely no to any real-time based rental systems. Otherwise, I would say it would be fine, just not as an expansion main feature.

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

Player housing doesn't apeal much to me. it goas into the same direction as GHs and those were'nt handled pretty well. I still haven't found a good reason to have one unless you RP in it, are a WvW guild or for the harvesting nodes. The Arena is too restrictive when it comes to possible gamemodes supported by the NPCs also the whole thing should work under PvP rules, i.e. simplified gear system. Right now you can't even hold PvP tourney as you need to restrict gear, food, buffs/debuffs and all that. Also even If I like to build stuff in our GH, so many features are lacking that I'd rather have ANet improve on an existing system like player housing, namely the GH.

...OR, even better, implement something I really care for, build templates and swappable sigils/infusions on legendary weapons, more UW combat or a Dungeon rework.

If you want X, and Y is needed to get get X, you also have to want Y if you really want X. If you don't want Y, you don't want X. It's easy.
    Pro: Build Templates, Dungeon Rework, UW content
    Contra: New Races, New Classes, New Weapons, Capes

• Edelweiss.4261Edelweiss.4261 Member ✭✭✭

I'm fine with player housing being added, but you need something else as a selling feature. I've yet to see a single implementation of player housing that made it a worthwhile feature to me. The best example was in SWtOR as I could use it to bypass waypoint fees. I haven't found it to aid my roleplaying at all.

edited August 20, 2018

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:
    In just about any MMO I know it's at best a well designed feature which speaks to a minority of players.

True, but raids don't create massive empty ghost towns and bind way less developer ressources. ;)

Well, player housing would take way less developer resources because the tech is already there (guild hall decorating), they just have to make it accessible for everyone and add a few instances to decorate. ;)

Also, we talked about minorities before. Both raiders and player housing fans are minorities. These are both optional content to please different kinds of people, it makes no sense to compare them. For example raids are a complete waste of dev resources to me because I don't do them. But it's still in the game to make that 5-10% of players happy and that's ok.

• Fantasy.5321Fantasy.5321 Member ✭✭✭

@Mea.5491 said:
    Well, player housing would take way less developer resources because the tech is already there (guild hall decorating), they just have to make it accessible for everyone and add a few instances to decorate. ;)

THIS! If Anet wants something easy for the next expansion, they could turn their guild decorating system into player housing with minimum effort.

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Lucius.2140 said:
    As we know Anet would be focusing in a new feature per expansion, woul you like it to be playerhousing?

First of all, housing being the focus of an expansion is like saying that Guild Halls was the focus of Heart of Thorns, which it wasn't. In fact lots of players didn't even have access to Guild Halls at all and never bothered with them (how expensive the decorations were/are is one reason) but another one is that decorating something isn't what everyone is interested in, nor something that many find exciting.

I'm not against adding housing to the game as a small side activity for those that like that sort of thing, but I'd never want it to be the major focus of an expansion. If Guild Halls was the only big focus of Heart of Thorns then it would've been dead on arrival.

@Mea.5491 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Also, we talked about minorities before. Both raiders and player housing fans are minorities. These are both optional content to please different kinds of people, it makes no sense to compare them. For example raids are a complete waste of dev resources to me because I don't do them. But it's still in the game to make that 5-10% of players happy and that's ok.

I have to disagree. Creating a raid with 2-4 bosses which is mostly some area design and coding of a couple of enemies is way less complex than creating a sandbox housing area.

It might seem easy since anchor points are already available in the guild hall, it is not though. First off, I doubt people would be happy with housing simply mirroring the guild hall. Second, creating an entire area and mechanics behind it to allow for proper player housing is no small side project. I doubt a team of 4-5 people (the siye of the dev team for fractals and raids) would manage such an expansion.

On top of which, raids do not affect the rest of the game in any way (besides being one of the methods of acquiring legendary armor, which is in no way required or better than ascended). A badly designed housing expansion can have dire effects if implemented poorly.

• Etria.3642Etria.3642 Member ✭✭✭✭

Prefer something for wvw or well ANYTHING that involves gameplay.

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

There's tons of MMOs that do have housing per character on a very custom level. If doing stuff in this new home is integral to the story and we have to do various things in it through the expansion, I'm totally down.

@Cyninja.2954 said:
    I have to disagree. Creating a raid with 2-4 bosses which is mostly some area design and coding of a couple of enemies is way less complex than creating a sandbox housing area.

It might seem easy since anchor points are already available in the guild hall, it is not though. First off, I doubt people would be happy with housing simply mirroring the guild hall. Second, creating an entire area and mechanics behind it to allow for proper player housing is no small side project. I doubt a team of 4-5 people (the siye of the dev team for fractals and raids) would manage such an expansion.

On top of which, raids do not affect the rest of the game in any way (besides being one of the methods of acquiring legendary armor, which is in no way required or better than ascended). A badly designed housing expansion can have dire effects if implemented poorly.

I disagree. I'm not sure what you mean by "sandbox housing area" but having separate housing instances like in Rift and ESO would not affect the rest of the game in any way. Also, I never said copy and paste what we have in the guild hall, they do need to alter things but the base system is already in the game, just needs some improvements/changes which is easier than starting from scratch.

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

said this before.
    No.
    why do they want this game to be a total copy of every game out there?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.