Introducing the Systems Team — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Introducing the Systems Team

'allo, Tyrians,

There's a new team in town with a lot of old faces: the Systems team. The team was forged in the fires of Mount Maelstrom and tempered in the depths of the Frostgorge Sound.

The Systems team mashes together the Skills and Balance, Player versus Player, World versus World, and Rewards Teams. Combining these teams will help to us create more cohesive content and make the most logical changes to Guild Wars 2 while reducing the chances that any particular part of the game will be negatively impacted when there are game-wide changes. The members of the old teams are now sitting in the same area with one another, like one big family composed of gleeful charr, modest sylvari, bashful norn, ornery humans, and whimsical asura.

This means that there is greater communication and sharing of knowledge between everyone involved.

If a particular profession or elite specialization is out of tune in one game mode, there will be greater communication about it and more traction on changes suited to that mode. If some rewards are unbalanced and could use a little fine-tuning, it will be much easier for a team member to bring up the need and work with others to discover the best solution.

With these changes, we'd like to invite you to join us in the August ArenaNet Forum Chat, which will start later today. You can post your questions about the team there. We won't be discussing a specific skill or a particular reward, but we're happy to answer questions about the team's foci, objectives, and how it is working together for a better future for all Tyria. The AFC can be found here.

Sincerely,

Your New Systems Team

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager: ArenaNet
Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

Tagged:
<1

Comments

• edited August 22, 2018

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• Loosmaster.8263Loosmaster.8263 Member ✭✭✭✭

Sounds kinda wishy washy to me. Can you show me the exact spot in Frostgorge? Anyway, sounds like a good plan to me...

Fàther - Create a mount then kill it until it's more useless than PvE. "Smart"
    Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thank the 6! A change! Hopefully for the better!

• Things like this make me think that we have a lot of future with this game.

Let's hope for the best for you as devs and us players, there's a lot of work to be done ;)

This can only mean fot the better!

• Not exactly sure what the PvWvP people will contribute to the rewards team, and vice versa, but it sounds like a positive step forward to get everyone working together regarding the areas where balance matters most.

• Not sure if you can comment on specific numbers, but if so, is this restructure a consolidation as well? Or will it appear as such? A recent restructure that was commented on was the raids/fractals team being combined. It gave the appearance of a restructure for the sake of consolidation (i.e. 5 people on each team previously turns into 6-8 total now).

• Jski.6180Jski.6180 Member ✭✭✭✭

I am not sure where to start to talk about things with out falling into my own ele trap.

See ELE forms and you will get my views.

• Thanks for the effort to create a more cohesive balance team, guys and girls. I'm sure the wailing souls in the Heart of the Mists will be eager to try them by fire.

[Charr Noises]
    [Plays every class]
    [JUST GIT EVEN GUDDER ITS FINE]

• Ubi.4136Ubi.4136 Member ✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's just me, but I read this post as basically "we have compressed the few people still working on GW2 into one room, because we have decided to change course and make a GW3 after the next expansion after all".

Lost in the Maguuma (TC)
    For the geographically challenged, yes, Tarnished Coast is located IN the Maguuma Jungle.

• I've enjoyed playing a lot of engineer over the course of the games life. While I love the recent addition of the Holosmith elite specialization, I'm hoping good ol' Scrapper will get some love. The changes it got with barrier and what-not were great, but I'm curious if there's anything else on the table for our hammer-wielding hero.

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing some behind the scenes info with us. Not really sure what to make of it but I hope it works out better. On a side note, with this change are there still 3 living world teams? Or have they gone through a similar structure change?

• Edelweiss.4261Edelweiss.4261 Member ✭✭✭

This sounds like a fairly positive change. Thanks for keeping us in the know! ;)

• KGS.9842KGS.9842 Member ✭✭

Could you confirm whether it is still the same number of people working in this team as there was before when they were separate?

@Substance E.4852 said:
    Not exactly sure what the PvWvP people will contribute to the rewards team, and vice versa, but it sounds like a positive step forward to get everyone working together regarding the areas where balance matters most.

Rewards in WvW have been a very contentious subject. There is one there now being debated on how and how much.

Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

• @Loosmaster.8263 said:

@Substance E.4852 said:
    Not exactly sure what the PvWvP people will contribute to the rewards team, and vice versa, but it sounds like a positive step forward to get everyone working together regarding the areas where balance matters most.

Rewards in WvW have been a very contentious subject. There is one there now being debated on how and how much.

It's in a pretty solid spot now. They could swap out the massive amount of level tomes for something else but the rest is pretty on point.

I mostly meant it in a sense that each team has a very different school of thought when it comes to game design they employ. The reward team is there to get you to play the content, the balance team is there to make sure it's an enjoyable experience (as best they can for what it's worth).

Melding them into one team feels odd but it may just be a formality more than they all sit around a big table every day for 3 hours.

@Substance E.4852 said:

Well more heads to solve issues... Also, rewards are very disparate between PvP modes where you can get incredibly rare and expensive items just from playing (like Mystic clovers for example) and PvE where you have to spend a lot of time and currency to obtain them.
    IMO that's also one of the things that lowered the quality of the PvP community overall. Too many people started PvPing simply to farm rewards, not caring about the competitive aspect, which creates more openings for people afking, throwing matches and win trading.

• Does this mean there is hope that we will get a rework of the pets and the pet system on Ranger?

• Delweyn.1309Delweyn.1309 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

It's maybe good because like this, dev. will maybe create content that will please/attract more players.

I think about the actual unique pvp mode that reward players who are experienced and make run away pvers. So a big part of the playerbase is not doing pvp at all.

As a pvp et pve player, I do all content and it's nice. But it's obvious that the pvp part of the game is sadly abandoned.

If they could bring a pvp friendly mode (+10v10 with less tactic needed & teamplay than conquest), I'm sure more pvers will spend time in pvp (like in wow before their 2 last expansions).

Same for WvW. Numerous maps open 24/24 scatter people.
    I think about a unique map with the 3 factions, with quests/objectives and interesting things like in the pve world, but more suited for solo players who will do quests and pvp. I think the WvW could attract more players if it was a determined hour castle capture, that guild could take (with alliance of their faction).

• @ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Substance E.4852 said:

Well more heads to solve issues... Also, rewards are very disparate between PvP modes where you can get incredibly rare and expensive items just from playing (like Mystic clovers for example) and PvE where you have to spend a lot of time and currency to obtain them.
    IMO that's also one of the things that lowered the quality of the PvP community overall. Too many people started PvPing simply to farm rewards, not caring about the competitive aspect, which creates more openings for people afking, throwing matches and win trading.

I doubt there's much correlation. If there is any, it's probably the inverse in that Anet buffed up the rewards because they saw the participation rates go down. Moving toward instagib combat was a massive barrier of entry for newbies. You have to have something to entice them to try the mode.

• I noticed that the wvw data page which has been abandoned long time ago in china received an update recently, is that mean you guys have done the world restructing change?

• I'm curious what the workflow for balancing the game looks like now. I assume it's cyclical, as in a balance patch being released is both the end of one cycle and beginning of the next. What does it look like in between releases? How is the teams time spent? What sort of benchmarks does the team use to measure progress? What would the typical work day/week look like when balancing the game?

Thanks!

• SloRules.3560SloRules.3560 Member ✭✭✭

Are revenant changes considered to be in line with WvW balance. Some of the descriptions of the changes seem rather powerful for some kind of support revenant.
    If it changes the meta i'd love it tbh(as long as it doens't push out the mesmer).

edited August 21, 2018

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Substance E.4852 said:

Pvp failed because Anet just didn't leave the "competitive aspect" or didn't make a new pvp pvefriendly mode (with more than 5v5 players in small map with a tactical objective).
    Hopefully, the rewards are the only thing that make pve'rs players come to pvp and make pvp'ers not wait 6 minutes for a fight.

It's surprising, I think that each mode works nicely independently.

The only problem is that there is not a real team dedicated in pvp mode.

• Incognito.3529Incognito.3529 Member ✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

So, I would like to bring attention of reward team to Chak Egg Sac. No, dont worry its not about drop rate, I just want to say this: For item that rare and that valuable, can you guys put amulet and jewel in legendary/ascended quality box and make a special description to reflect its value? I keep thinking about new / unfocused players who lost this aura item (by selling/delete or salvaging with wrong kit) because it was obscured by amulet with garbage stats. That would be really sad, right?

Same can be applied to Queen Bee and Vial of Aurillium and basically to any other infusion/jewel which drops or will drop in open world (or anywhere else).

Thank you!

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Incognito.3529 said:
    So, I would like to bring attention of reward team to Chak Egg Sac. No, dont worry its not about drop rate, I just want to say this: For item that rare and that valuable, can you guys put amulet and jewel in legendary/ascended quality box and make a special description to reflect its value? I keep thinking about new / unfocused players who lost this aura item (by selling/delete or salvaging with wrong kit) because it was obscured by amulet with garbage stats. That would be really sad, right?

Same can be applied to Queen Bee and Vial of Aurillium and basically to any other infusion/jewel which drops or will drop in open world (or anywhere else).

Thank you!

Good point. I can definitely see some new player being the one in 50 or more people doing the meta to be the one to get this and not know what it is and trash it. Lol

• @Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:

@ButterPeanut.9746 said:
    Not sure if you can comment on specific numbers, but if so, is this restructure a consolidation as well? Or will it appear as such? A recent restructure that was commented on was the raids/fractals team being combined. It gave the appearance of a restructure for the sake of consolidation (i.e. 5 people on each team previously turns into 6-8 total now).

This isn't a consolidation; everyone that was on each of the previous teams is on the Systems team.

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

• Ghos.1326Ghos.1326 Member ✭✭✭

So how about them Engineer Flamethrower kit buffs, Scrapper defensive buffs (maybe some suggestions Chaith and I made will make it), and some Mesmer tune downs either in terms of damage/defensive capabilities? Heehee!

The greatest enemy to improvement, is ignorance. But the desire to learn will cast ignorance into the fire.

• Vallun.2071Vallun.2071 Member ✭✭✭

How is the systems team going to improve the current game modes? In the past there were feature packs which in my opinion were some of the best changes to the game. Some of the core systems that don't exist in the game right now are build templates and repeatable raid and CM rewards. These don't add new content but will make any future and existing content in the game more enjoyable and repeatable.

Is there going to be a Subforum created for communication with them for ideas/request? This welcome thread is quickly devolving into a...

Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Delweyn.1309 said:
    It's surprising, I think that each mode works nicely independently.

The only problem is that there is not a real team dedicated in pvp mode.

Each mode hasn't worked well independently.

The balance from each, impacts each other sometimes directly, other times indirectly.

Both PvP and WvW have been declining in its base for some time. Yes, there have been infusions of players at times because of seasons and changes in WvW rewards, but a constant frustration at least in WvW is a dearth of new things. (Yes, the WvW forums explode when something new is added lol)

And there hasn't been a WvW team either.

Maybe this change helps with making both modes more engaging to new players while not alienating 'vets'

• Please keep PVE devs and players out of PvP and WvW balance and rewards. Its why most of wvw and pvp are so bad. A lot of pve players crying that pvp and wvw are too hard to farm. Maybe a rework to pvp matchmaking for unranked? A new wvw mechanic that takes something more than east boring blobs to get rewards? Just some thoughts from a full time wvw and pvp player om both NA and EU servers..

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

@Loosmaster.8263 said:
    Is there going to be a Subforum created for communication with them for ideas/request? This welcome thread is quickly devolving into a...

There already is: The August AFC. (Link posted previously in thread.) Well, for ideas/questions about the Team, anyway.
    If you mean a Balance Preview thread, those are sometimes offered. Maybe for the next balance pass after this upcoming one.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

There already is: The August AFC. (Link posted previously in thread.) Well, for ideas/questions about the Team, anyway.
    If you mean a Balance Preview thread, those are sometimes offered. Maybe for the next balance pass after this upcoming one.

Well, first time I went to the link, I saw stuff about Raids, lol. Thanks

Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

• Blackarps.1974Blackarps.1974 Member ✭✭✭

This is a great move by the company. This will help ensure none of these smaller teams go without the resources they need to get content out at a more static pace. I do have a question for the former rewards team though! Have you guys been hearing and seeing the requests for new rewards across the game? Do you have plans or anything in mind? In addition to that, how do you plan on balancing out modes like WvW so that those players feel just as rewarded in terms of gold versus those who farm in PvE. I mean its obvious you'll never have pure balance in rewards but the drastic increase in gold income per hour in WvW is very poor to say the least. Not to mention that outside of the new skimish vendor, the loot has pretty much been the same for 6 years and with Istan lowing the value of things like rares and ectosplasms it makes making gold in WvW even worse.

I would be 100% happy to sit down and brainstorm ideas with any of you. You can see my account to see how passionate I am about WvW but it just feels bad that I don't have much to show for it. I feel poor compared to my PvE friends. I do want to say thank you so much for the legendary armor and backpiece along with ascended trinkets added to the skirmish vendor. That was a huge step but I'm ready for some more additions!

• SnowHawk.3615SnowHawk.3615 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

Is there any way to ensure that Mortar and Tornado are no longer useless elites for Elementalist and Engineer? Some power buffs to them? or relevant conditions/boons applied?
    Also remove racial elites from the game, they serve no purpose and are wasted altogther. I love the GW1 Norns and the importance of the spirits but that isn't the case in GW2- Norn spirits are useless and have no impact in lore or story or playstyle, so it's best they are just removed.
    just take away all racial elites.
    More PvP game modes like death match, and 1v1 ranked or 3 v 3.

• thrag.9740thrag.9740 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    If some rewards are unbalanced and could use a little fine-tuning, it will be much easier for a team member to bring up the need and work with others to discover the best solution.

Are you planning to take a look at POF meta events?

• Calvsie.3675Calvsie.3675 Member ✭✭✭

Modest Sylvari? HA!

Any chance of guild vs guild coming to gw2?

“You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.”
    ― Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys

Going to tag Randulfs post. You need to head to that Subforum with your requests/ideas. This one was just the announcement/welcome thread.

Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

• @SnowHawk.3615 said:
    Is there any way to ensure that Mortar and Tornado are no longer useless elites for Elementalist and Engineer? Some power buffs to them? or relevant conditions/boons applied?
    Also remove racial elites from the game, they serve no purpose and are wasted altogther. I love the GW1 Norns and the importance of the spirits but that isn't the case in GW2- Norn spirits are useless and have no impact in lore or story or playstyle, so it's best they are just removed.
    just take away all racial elites.

I agree with you, but rather I'd like it if the Racials were actually just useful (can be utility/CC/Damage). I know that Anet wants people to play what they want, but I'd rather all abilities just be useful. Else as you said just remove them because it's like an overloaded cup of Frozen Yogurt, yes you could drizzle fudge and sprinkle graham crackers on top your cookie bits, gummy worms, and fruit, but at that point it isn't adding flavor it's just more clutter. I rather be jealous that my human can't shapeshift into a free juggernaut-like racial skill (or a kit that just gives permanent swiftness [maybe on the leopard/raven]) then just seeing every class using the same skills. Like when the Asura's use technobabble (also I didn't know it's toolbelt dealt confusion that'd be pretty cool to use in a condi engi build) for breakbars or humans using the roots from Avatar of Melandru in raids. But yeah either make them useful or take them out.

100% agree with you on tornado and mortar with Elixir X. You can't really even tell where your hit box is in tornado form and it's hard to know if you're actually hitting anything as well. For Ele it'd be nice if they just made it a simple tornado spell that you just throw out maybe it can pull trash mobs to it's center while dealing light cc and an additional effect per element. For engi they could turn the tool belt of the elixir to a water down version of that and just make you juggernaut when you drink it. I don't even know how to fix mortar because it is useful for it's fields, but I feel like that non very thematic for a mortar, also I feel like kits are hard to make into elites because there very little downtime on them and they give you more skills which have to be weaker for balanced sake. Maybe if they made Mortar Kit shoot very powerful projectile: one Power, one Condi, one CC. You can spam whatever ammo you want for a short amount of time go full rambo, but once the effect ends the kit goes on cooldown.

@Delweyn.1309 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Substance E.4852 said:

Pvp failed because Anet just didn't leave the "competitive aspect" or didn't make a new pvp pvefriendly mode (with more than 5v5 players in small map with a tactical objective).
    Hopefully, the rewards are the only thing that make pve'rs players come to pvp and make pvp'ers not wait 6 minutes for a fight.

The question is, do you want pve'rs in PvP, especially when things like the team queue vote happens on the back of those players. More people is good, but more people at the expense of losing the people that really care for the game mode doesn't help.
    But yeah, game modes with larger teams and stuff like CTF, or just plain old death match arenas would definetly help bring more attention to it.

• Hm, interesting change. Does this mean we will get Build templates in the near future? I can be even more dreamy :) Are we getting Secondary professions? :)

• I hope you guys are still answering questions!
    1. Do you guys ever consider a whole new category of rewards? It has often been mentioned by the community that it is hard to feel rewarded in this game, except for the occasional rare drop when raiding or when getting an extremely rare precursor. If no, why not? If yes, will we see some of it this year?
    2. How are you planning on making future elite specialisations equally exciting and viable to all the current base professions and elite specialisations that exist already?
    3. Are you open to introducing more new boons and conditions?
    4. We've seen plenty of unique buffs in past elite specialisations, such as Alacrity (before it was given to Renevants), Grace of the Land, Renegade utility skills, Scourge barriers, etc... But will we ever see unique debuffs or condition effects specific to new elite specialisations? A new Necromancer elite specialisation with a unique condition only applied by it would be extremely interesting to see and play with.
    5. Are we ever going to see more horizontal character customizations? Before Heart of Thorns, there was a "leak" of a "Dragon Crystal" system that would require players to collect Crystals all over the world, that could be slotted into a new interface that would give unique changes such as changing your Light fields into Fire fields, or changing the way the Retaliation boon would work. Something like this would open up a lot of new and exciting builds and would offer a whole new plethora of possible rewards. It would probably be a development nightmare, but could you ever see something like this come into the game? If no, why not?
    6. Will the next expansion be a pure content expansion, more like Path of Fire, or will it also see some new systems introduced into the game, such as Hearth of Thorns, or will it be a bit of both?
    7. Would you guys consider making a single underwater raiding encounter (which would spark an entirely new underwater meta)? Yes, no and why?
    8. How often do you guys prank each other in the office?
    Thanks so much for this! Wish we could get an e-mail about this since I don't often check the forums. (I found out via reddit, so I'm glad I was not too late to submit some questions!)

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.