One Big Problem With Rangers and Pets - Anet Fix This Bug

Johnny.1634

@InsaneQR.7412 said:@Gaile Gray.6029 could you have another look at this?Its annoying enough that about 90% of pets are so low on utility that they are unusable, so pls give us atleast functioning quickness interaction.Seriously :(I've quit the game for awhile now until they fix some of these issues especially the quickness one.They've done a reallllllly poor job for Rangers and all they're interactions with pets. Was really stoked when they first announced Elite specializations, especially a healing one. And then we found out that only one trait (out of every skill and trait) actually did anything with your pet...what a disappointment.And then Soulbeast came along...and literally removed your pet... I quit after that failure of a spec.

@"Sojourner.4621" said:Whether I agree with the choices ANet as a company makes as far as "Keep bringing out the new instead of fixing the old" goes, I think it is important for people to remember something very important here before they go around trashing the design/programming/communication team. They don't get to do everything they want. They have bosses that they answer to. It is very likely that there are more than a few members of the dev teams who would love to focus on fixing the old and polishing what exists before moving on to the next big thing. They don't actually get to make that decision. The person above them, or the person above the person above them... that's who gets to say "No, you're working on this right now."

I'd love to see this get the attention it deserves, I'm not happy about the fact that it's not a priority, but I also have a hard time being upset at Gaile or the Dev team for that. I love the devs that join us on the forums and discuss with us and tell us they'll do the best they can. I really believe that they will and that they want to, and I think some of them are super passionate about doing everything they are able to make the community and the game the best it can be. But sometimes... they just can't. At the end of the day, be upset with the people they answer to... the investors, the publisher, the top of the chain that says "Only do the things that net the best immediate profits." So many times when a new lauded, if small, QoL improvement comes down the line it's also marked by a "And such-and-such programmer did this in their own free time, so many thanks." And I just think we should pay a bit more attention to that.

This is 100% correct. It is all about where the money comes from that will dictate how the programmers and developers can spend their time.

I LOVE ranger. But it is really the idea of a ranger that I love. I play a class that really isn't that great but I figured out a playstyle that sort of works for me. What is sad is that you are limited if you want to actually be a good player as a ranger. I really hate that for wvw or pvp I would have to use a different pet setup- why can't the pets that I want to use benefit from quickness? I hate that my class as a whole has such major problems that it is almost entirely disregarded for current end content gaming. I also hate knowing that it is such a big problem that it is unlikely for the company to want to spend the money to fix it. They get more money making expansions, cash shop items, etc..

This pet issue is huge. But where is the profit in fixing it?

Currently I am finding other classes more fun to play. I still love my ranger, but it's problems with base mechanics make it less fun. Which is sad... because games are supposed to be fun.

@"LadyMari.7920" said:Currently I am finding other classes more fun to play. I still love my ranger, but it's problems with base mechanics make it less fun. Which is sad... because games are supposed to be fun.I don't find fun to play other classes so i don't play anymore. I have better choices to do than to waste my good mood with all this problems which become more obvious the more time you spend in the game.

I seriously think they should stop complaining about how difficult it is to do the work and focus in fixing it. It looks poorly from the outside and for people whom actually work as designers or programmers find it sad and hilarious.

I can not imagine in any real situation where an IT employee of a company says "i'm not doing that because is too difficult/takes too long" to address the bugs and problems of code when the costumers complain. For readers whom aren't IT savvy, it would be the same case as if a waiter would decide not to serve the tables because it find it too difficult and tiresome.

Sadly this is not about what it is said in this thread, every time for the last 5 years the word "ranger" is used by Anet the word "difficult" comes up like it's not an issue of resources constrains but the inability to do the work needed.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"LadyMari.7920" said:Currently I am finding other classes more fun to play. I still love my ranger, but it's problems with base mechanics make it less fun. Which is sad... because games are supposed to be fun.I don't find fun to play other classes so i don't play anymore. I have better choices to do than to waste my good mood with all this problems which become more obvious the more time you spend in the game.

I seriously think they should stop complaining about how difficult it is to do the work and focus in fixing it. It looks poorly from the outside and for people whom actually work as designers or programmers find it sad and hilarious.

I can not imagine in any real situation where an IT employee of a company says "i'm not doing that because is too difficult/takes too long" to address the bugs and problems of code when the costumers complain. For readers whom aren't IT savvy, it would be the same case as if a waiter would decide not to serve the tables because it find it too difficult and tiresome.

Sadly this is not about what it is said in this thread, every time for the last 5 years the word "ranger" is used by Anet the word "difficult" comes up like it's not an issue of resources constrains but the inability to do the work needed.

I assume rather that ppl from IT can relate to spaghetti code problems and the devs didnt complained about the difficulty to fix it nor did they stated that they didnt fix stuff at all.They just said that it couldnt be done immediatly because issues with complicated code just need more time.Atleast they adress that they know the problems and for sure there will one day be fixes, just not now.The only thing i am upset with is that no one aknowledges officially the quickness issue.

@LadyMari.7920 said:

@"Sojourner.4621" said:Whether I agree with the choices ANet as a company makes as far as "Keep bringing out the new instead of fixing the old" goes, I think it is important for people to remember something very important here before they go around trashing the design/programming/communication team. They don't get to do everything they want. They have bosses that they answer to. It is very likely that there are more than a few members of the dev teams who would love to focus on fixing the old and polishing what exists before moving on to the next big thing. They don't actually get to make that decision. The person above them, or the person above the person above them... that's who gets to say "No, you're working on this right now."

I'd love to see this get the attention it deserves, I'm not happy about the fact that it's not a priority, but I also have a hard time being upset at Gaile or the Dev team for that. I love the devs that join us on the forums and discuss with us and tell us they'll do the best they can. I really believe that they will and that they want to, and I think some of them are super passionate about doing everything they are able to make the community and the game the best it can be. But sometimes... they just can't. At the end of the day, be upset with the people they answer to... the investors, the publisher, the top of the chain that says "Only do the things that net the best immediate profits." So many times when a new lauded, if small, QoL improvement comes down the line it's also marked by a "And such-and-such programmer did this in their own free time, so many thanks." And I just think we should pay a bit more attention to that.

This is 100% correct. It is all about where the money comes from that will dictate how the programmers and developers can spend their time.

I LOVE ranger. But it is really the
idea
of a ranger that I love. I play a class that really isn't that great but I figured out a playstyle that sort of works for me. What is sad is that you are limited if you want to actually be a good player as a ranger. I really hate that for wvw or pvp I would have to use a different pet setup- why can't the pets that I want to use benefit from quickness? I hate that my class as a whole has such major problems that it is almost entirely disregarded for current end content gaming. I also hate knowing that it is such a big problem that it is unlikely for the company to want to spend the money to fix it. They get more money making expansions, cash shop items, etc..

Currently I am finding other classes more fun to play. I still love my ranger, but it's problems with base mechanics make it less fun. Which is sad... because games are supposed to be fun.

The profit is in keeping your players and new ones.I've had about a half a dozen Ranger friends leave because of all our pet issues.^ This was before PoF...lol, Once that giant mess hit with even more issues and even more bugged pets, I saw nearly all the rangers in my guild gone and I still to this day don't see a single Ranger main in my friends list on. As well as me, I've quit, and hell I loved the game. Played since GW1 release all the way till PoF none stop, but when my favorite class is bugged to hell and we have so limited options just to play, its just not fun.And then the profit? Would I ever buy another expansion? Definitely not, because I can guarantee you its gonna throw in more bugged pets. Why would I buy a game that whole-heartly knows they're releasing bugged content to their customers and has ALREADY STATED that they're going to do nothing about it?

@Johnny.1634 said:

idea
of a ranger that I love. I play a class that really isn't that great but I figured out a playstyle that sort of works for me. What is sad is that you are limited if you want to actually be a good player as a ranger. I really hate that for wvw or pvp I would have to use a different pet setup- why can't the pets that I want to use benefit from quickness? I hate that my class as a whole has such major problems that it is almost entirely disregarded for current end content gaming. I also hate knowing that it is such a big problem that it is unlikely for the company to want to spend the money to fix it. They get more money making expansions, cash shop items, etc..

The profit is in keeping your players and new ones.I've had about a half a dozen Ranger friends leave because of all our pet issues.^ This was before PoF...lol, Once that giant mess hit with even more issues and even more bugged pets, I saw nearly all the rangers in my guild gone and I still to this day don't see a single Ranger main in my friends list on. As well as me, I've quit, and hell I loved the game. Played since GW1 release all the way till PoF none stop, but when my favorite class is bugged to hell and we have so limited options just to play, its just not fun.And then the profit? Would I ever buy another expansion? Definitely not, because I can guarantee you its gonna throw in more bugged pets. Why would I buy a game that whole-heartly knows they're releasing bugged content to their customers and has ALREADY STATED that they're going to do nothing about it?

Ranger has more "meta" builds and play options currently than it has at any time in its history. It's fine to be upset about ranger pet bugs, for sure, but inaccurate hyperbole isn't going to help make that argument. For the FIRST TIME EVER we have a really good power ranger setup. Ranger is one of the few classes that still has "unique" class specific buffs (Spirits and Stance share both make them a pick over other DPS/Healer options. Even though other DPS can do more, I will often still pick a condi soulbeast over something else because stance share raises party DPS. Even though Rev is a better healer and just as good a boon bot as Druid on fractals, people will still take the druid because of spirits, 99% of the time.) YOU may not like the options that are available, but Ranger is actually from an end-game meta standpoint in a great place.

@Sojourner.4621 said:

@Sojourner.4621 said:Whether I agree with the choices ANet as a company makes as far as "Keep bringing out the new instead of fixing the old" goes, I think it is important for people to remember something very important here before they go around trashing the design/programming/communication team. They don't get to do everything they want. They have bosses that they answer to. It is very likely that there are more than a few members of the dev teams who would love to focus on fixing the old and polishing what exists before moving on to the next big thing. They don't actually get to make that decision. The person above them, or the person above the person above them... that's who gets to say "No, you're working on this right now."

idea

Ranger has more "meta" builds and play options currently than it has at any time in its history. It's fine to be upset about ranger pet bugs, for sure, but inaccurate hyperbole isn't going to help make that argument. For the FIRST TIME EVER we have a really good power ranger setup. Ranger is one of the few classes that still has "unique" class specific buffs (Spirits and Stance share both make them a pick over other DPS/Healer options. Even though other DPS can do more, I will often still pick a condi soulbeast over something else because stance share raises party DPS. Even though Rev is a better healer and just as good a boon bot as Druid on fractals, people will still take the druid because of spirits, 99% of the time.) YOU may not like the options that are available, but Ranger is actually from an end-game meta standpoint in a great place.

How many times are you gonna ignore what was actually written and just throw something out of your ^%$?We're talking about lack of Ranger pet options...Look at your "meta" builds, every single one has the same pets.....for the reason this thread is up....

And first time ever we have a good power build? Um...what? lol We've pretty much dominated that from release. Don't start talking about things you know nothing about buddy.

P.S - Still waiting on the quote I asked for after your last comment...

@Johnny.1634 said:

@Sojourner.4621 said:Whether I agree with the choices ANet as a company makes as far as "Keep bringing out the new instead of fixing the old" goes, I think it is important for people to remember something very important here before they go around trashing the design/programming/communication team. They don't get to do everything they want. They have bosses that they answer to. It is very likely that there are more than a few members of the dev teams who would love to focus on fixing the old and polishing what exists before moving on to the next big thing. They don't actually get to make that decision. The person above them, or the person above the person above them... that's who gets to say "No, you're working on this right now."

idea

How many times are you gonna ignore what was actually written and just throw something out of your ^%$?We're talking about lack of Ranger pet options...Look at your "meta" builds, every single one has the same pets.....for the reason this thread is up....

And first time ever we have a good power build? Um...what? lol We've pretty much dominated that from release. Don't start talking about things you know nothing about buddy.

P.S - Still waiting on the quote I asked for after your last comment...

So your way of refuting is to... change the subject and spread false information? Okay there isn't a lot of pet variation, that's true. I am sorry that has ruined the game for you, as if somehow with 40+ pets there won't always 100% of the time be a handful that are more viable than all the others. The pets are definitely bugged in their interactions, and I agreed with that. I make it a habit to read every developer post both here and on reddit, and have since about a year from launch. I am not, however, combing through several years worth of posts from Gaile to pinpoint the one where I remember her saying "Let me see what I can find out"(paraphrased) in regards to this particular quickness bug. She never followed up with us after saying that, that much I remember. I don't have that much time on my hands. Just like you don't have the time to show any evidence what-so-ever backing your claim that she is lying. So quite frankly I don't care anymore.

As far as the power ranger thing... maybe in PvP it is true that some form of power ranger has always had a place. The same could be said of every class. Turns out a lot more things are viable when you don't have to chip away hitpoints that are in the millions territory and also don't have to be concerned with enrage timers. In PvE that is just not true. The recent balance patches are the absolute first time we have ever seen a power ranger break, and maintain consistently over, the 30k DPS threshold. Not only does it do that, it is considered one of the better power DPS to take in fractal scenarios because a) It can still do that damage even if you sub a few skills for spirits to make up for no-druid groups, and b) it is characterized by large spikes of damage which are especially good for short-phase bosses.

@Sojourner.4621 said:The burden of proof is on the accuser. Find evidence that you've been ignored. I'll wait while you comb through forum archives here and on reddit for every post Gaile has ever made. And no, Ranger has never once had a power build that broke 30k DPS before now. Period. You're the one spouting lies now.

I didnt have to look xD I was the one of the main people throwing this out there since release, regardless of the fact, I double checked and still found nothing. Now unless your gonna keep being a child about this, in a previous comment you stated:

@Sojourner.4621 said:I looked. Gaile HAS in fact said things about it before, on the old forums, which you can view archived just as she said. "She came here and spat a bunch of lies" is blatantly false, so you're the one here spitting lies, and slander. This is not the first time it has been mentioned by the devs in five years, it's just the first time an answer has been given about whether it is likely to actually be worked on and fixed.

Now, would you care to share this info you CLEARLY have found? xD

And proof that you ignore things? Really? Just read what was wrote and then read your comment...That should be proof enough, i literally just explained it, do you not read? xD If you really need me to outline it AGAIN for you mate, or at all for that matter I feel very very bad for you.

Now once again mate, don't talk about things you know nothing about. Pre HoT before the buttloads of projectile reflects and blocks came into play Ranger was owning the PvP scene, was pretty cheese build, less so then trapper but that was a one trick pony. They wreaked in WvW for the same reason, as only a handful of projectile reflect/blocks were available and they were able to deal alot of poke to blobs in narrow areas like SM.Power was pretty much the only build we could go, we didn't have a decent condi spec.Now this "Meta" build you speak of thats SUPER amazing and deals 30k damage, what spec is it? Wait Wait Wait, let me guess, is it Soulbeast? The spec that allows you to lose your get to gain more stats, trait/skill effects, and control exactly your pets skills?

Hmmm maybe, JUST MAYBE! The reason we don't have decent builds could be because of pets then? Someone should really post this issue in the forums...oh wait.

@Johnny.1634 said:

@Sojourner.4621 said:The burden of proof is on the accuser. Find evidence that you've been ignored. I'll wait while you comb through forum archives here and on reddit for every post Gaile has ever made. And no, Ranger has never once had a power build that broke 30k DPS before now. Period. You're the one spouting lies now.

I didnt have to look xD I was the one of the main people throwing this out there since release, regardless of the fact, I double checked and still found nothing. Now unless your gonna keep being a child about this, in a previous comment you stated:

Seems to me the one throwing a temper tantrum and calling people liars is the one being a child. I didn't say find evidence you've been ignored by me, I meant by Gaile. You're the one claiming no one at ANet has never mentioned the ranger pet situation before it was posted about in this thread. I disagree. I recall it being mentioned and then forgotten about. I don't recall any whiny BS from you in the thread, so I assume it wasn't in direct response to something you posted. Unless you're going to comb through every post Gaile has ever made here and on Reddit, Then you're wasting everyone's time with your tantrum. Including mine. Then again you've been doing that since you went off on a dev explaining why it was okay for you to slander people that literally owe you nothing. I won't be posting on this necro'd thread anymore. You shouldn't either, it clearly is accomplishing nothing and you're being ignored, right?

@Sojourner.4621 said:

Seems to me the one throwing a temper tantrum and calling people liars is the one being a child. I didn't say find evidence you've been ignored by me, I meant by Gaile. You're the one claiming no one at ANet has never mentioned the ranger pet situation before it was posted about in this thread. I disagree. I recall it being mentioned and then forgotten about. I don't recall any whiny BS from you in the thread, so I assume it wasn't in direct response to something you posted. Unless you're going to comb through every post Gaile has ever made here and on Reddit, Then you're wasting everyone's time with your tantrum. Including mine. Then again you've been doing that since you went off on a dev explaining why it was okay for you to slander people that literally owe you nothing. I won't be posting on this necro'd thread anymore. You shouldn't either, it clearly is accomplishing nothing and you're being ignored, right?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/BUG-Unresponsive-Pets-Skill-No-3-merged/page/3

Simple as that.I brought the issue up on the first page and was ignored.jcbroe.4329 then brought it up directly to Gaile, and I quote:

" @Gaile;

Any word on staff 3? Or quickness not interacting with pets?"

To which she answered the staff 3 skill and said she merged a bunch of other threads. The only threads (of which there were 2) of this quickness bug which you can directly see if you click my name, were not merged.

So yes, she ignored it.There's also a very handy tool called the search bar in the forums that will find any and everything you type in. In this case the lack of any talk about quickness bugs from any single dev, your welcome. Thanks for leaving tho, and as you would put it "hope the door doesn't hit you on the way out" ;)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:I'll ping directly today. Sorry for the delay!

Thank-you. But what does this mean exactly?? :s

I'm also very confused on if this is the first your hearing of this. Your the Communications Manager so I'd think you'd probably have the best answer here, and I don't mean any disrespect but how is this taking so long, and whats been going on??

The issue itself has been here since launch, and just speaking on my part alone, I've been addressing this issue to you for 4 years with:
  • At least 50 in-game bug reports over the years, being very descriptive.
  • Speaking to several Anet employees currently playing in the game, saying they were unaware and they would bring it up immediately.
  • Reporting the issue on the old forums in the bug-report section, once again explaining the issue in great detail
  • Raising awareness by speaking about it all over the game in map chat and fellow ranger party members.
  • Creating threads in the old "Ranger" forums just like this one
  • Reported the issue using this sites support center, where I made the issue very clear, and my ticket was closed without a single word
  • Reporting the issue using this sites support center again, using my other account, where it was closed again and told rudely not to open reports on multiple accounts.
  • Reporting the issue using this sites support center AGAIN, where I was even asked to show videos of the evidence. Which I then did and posted.
  • Communicated with several support personnel, telling me to report it in-game, which I already had been doing for 4 years....Was later told this bug may be intended....Was later told they have made the team aware of the issue.
  • The day the new forums came online, this tread, as well as my thread in the "Bugs" section has been posted and I've been doing my best to spread awareness and keep the posts active.

Now I'm clearly not the only one here reporting this issue, alot of people here I'm sure have been spamming you. But based on me alone, how on earth is it taking you guys so long, not only to actually fix the issue, but for your team to actually be aware of it?? I mean, I'm basically screaming this is your faces where ever you look, haha.

Honestly I've just been so disappointed in you guys its not even funny. The support I've gotten has been appalling as I'm sure most people here can agree. But regardless I still love playing the game, but this issue has really been frustrating me as a Ranger-Main for ages. So I'd really like to see this fixed, as well as get an answer to my above questions.

What that meant was that although I've been aware of this for years, too -- I'm a Ranger main, after all :) -- I still didn't have traction on a detailed answer, although I knew it was a known issue and I'd spoken with devs about it before. If you check forum archives -- we don't have an archive of the old forums, but others have been kind enough to host them on third-party sites -- you can confirm that this is not my first post on this subject. (I imagine other knowledgeable forum members will vouch for me here. :) )

Certainly, you are not the only person reporting this, but what I learned today has a bit more detail: Fixing this will be a complicated correction to make, because quickness can cause animation problems (presumably for some species, which is why this is not a unilateral/every creature problem). Each pet will need to be examined individually for these problems, and at the present time, this is not something that the designers are able to do. Again, this
is
a known issue -- I have that from several different people -- and this
is
a concern. Reading the details on this, quite honestly I personally do not foresee this being corrected in the very near future, as much as I know the team would like to be able to do so. However, that's my estimation, not a dev answer, and I will see if I can learn more and update when I have additional info.

Alright, so after 8+ years of bug reports and we're coming up to 4 years of you guys having a discussion with devs about it, still nothing has been done. Care to comment more about this?

If it's a bug, you Report Bug. And if you get enough players to report it, maybe something can happen. But with work being done on the new Cantha release for next year, and with the Icebrood Sage continueing, gonna say they might be a little busy. But you are right. After so many years. If it's a bug then it's a legitimate bug. However if it's not a bug, someone from Anet should come out and say that's how it's supposed to work, and that it's not a bug. Keeping people "In the loop" goes further than remaining silent on the subject and brooding over it, just because your "Boss" says that he'll deal with it later. Pretty soon the employees stop pestering the boss about the situation and give up. This sounds like one of those things.

I used to teach sword/dagger skills to other ranger's. Considering the # of nerfs, i don't feel that those skills need any telgraphs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...