Arenanet vs PvP

Redead.3016

I am making this thread for the community and the hope that Anet fixes/improves the overall PvP in the game. I believe that Anet has ignored the majority of the communities complaints on PvP. When the game first launched everyone asked where is the GvG and even after the outcry Anet ignored the community. GvG was one of the biggest and most beloved PvP in Guild Wars 1. This game mode brought so many guilds together and allowed the community to watch the top guilds battle it out with the GvG replays. Once Anet opted to discontinue this game mode in Guild Wars 2 they lost a lot of player base from the original Guild Wars 1 community and dismissed the very name of the game "GUILD WARS."
The other very popular PvP was Hall of Heroes. This game mode was a Ladder/King of the hill/Last man standing style of PvP. If you played on US server and won the Hall of Heroes then the server got "Favor of the Gods." It allowed everyone on the server to access the hardest dungeons such as FoW or Underworld to obtain the best armor in the game. The winners were announced to the whole server and and also got a chance to obtain some of the rarest items in the game. More people might play WvW if the server was rewarded for winning. Winning WvW holds 0 meaning and 0 rewards for the server. They have improved many personal rewards but have never addressed the server rewards that Hall of Heroes offered.Guild Wars 1 offered even more variety of competitive PvP like Random Arenas, Team Arenas, 1v1, and Alliance Battles.The game has been out 5 years and the PvP has been completely stale and shows little to no improvements coming in the future.

My list of fixes:1.) Offer server wide rewards for WvW.2.) Bring back GvG. Honestly it has been over 5 years with tons of outcry. Why have you not done this yet?3.) More variety. Lets face it 2 PvP options get old.4.) Listen to your player base and stop trying to be the the next E-Sports. More focus on fun and less focus on E-Sports would improve the game.

I am not here to bash Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 have been my primary game for over 10+ years. I am just offering constructive criticism in the hopes of improvement.

Please bring back Guild vs Guild ladder system.

If you don't have the resources to develop 8vs8 or 10vs10 maps and content; at least give Guilds an option to play 5vs5 Conquest on a separate ladder.

ANET really has nothing to lose as the PvP community has reached an all time low. Just look at the active PvP population on the North American server to see how well the current Conquest solo-duo que is really doing.

The matching system can't create fair games as there is not enough active players to allow the MMR and rating system to function properly.

I'm not sure if the Alliance thing they're working on will be similar to it. I do miss the GvG and watching those tournaments in observer mode. The format in GW1 was so unique that offered this flavor that I feel like ONLY that game can do. GW2 is too dynamic and the lack of distinction between classes makes that kind of mode almost undoable in this game. Probably why we have the step child of HoH and Alliance Battle = WvW.

@DragonSlayer.1087 said:I'm not sure if the Alliance thing they're working on will be similar to it. I do miss t ahe GvG and watching those tournaments in observer mode. The format in GW1 was so unique that offered this flavor that I feel like ONLY that game can do. GW2 is too dynamic and the lack of distinction between classes makes that kind of mode almost undoable in this game. Probably why we have the step child of HoH and Alliance Battle = WvW.

This to makes sence...lol

Please dear flying spaghetti monster. Let things improve and not just have a part time intern working in PvP. All we as for as a community of players is to have enjoyable PvP that is at least close to as fun as guild wars 1 was.

Please help them move on from dancing in little circles maps. It got old after a few months in. Please no more flashy buyable skins, enough is enough.

If you can't help them move on and make PvP enjoyable again then please inspire them to move onto guild wars 3 and have actual PvP there.

In your name I pray ramen

I just want some sort of post regarding team queue...I find that when I played with friends, I had no care for balance or trivial things, I barely even used the forums unless it was from the match up threads we had years ago, I was happy in game and just had fun with friends.

What brought me to this side of the forums was learning that the minority here could complain and change the game on everyone else, so here I am hoping to have it changed back or to atleast get a response over the trial we are still undergoing since season 5.

The only thing I disagree with in your post is the esports point.Esports is one of the main attractions to competitive players looking for a new game. With no esports many people I know just chose to not even try the game out.

It’s literally the best marketing tool for PvP communities out there.Also keep in mind the money that went to esport tournaments was intended for marketing anyways, so what you’re saying is that Ads > esports.

Others claim Anet is balancing around esports - this isn’t true anymore. Otherwise PoF specs wouldn’t be strictly better than everything else wouldn’t they? Except o. Rev but my point still stands.

Balancing around esports would actually achieve what these people claim it destroys, which is lower the powercreep and add diversity, counterplay and complexity to the PoF specs.

I’ll finish by saying I very much agree with everything else you said so you have my upvote regardless of your unnecessary bash on esports.

@"sephiroth.4217" said:I just want some sort of post regarding team queue...I find that when I played with friends, I had no care for balance or trivial things, I barely even used the forums unless it was from the match up threads we had years ago, I was happy in game and just had fun with friends.

What brought me to this side of the forums was learning that the minority here could complain and change the game on everyone else, so here I am hoping to have it changed back or to atleast get a response over the trial we are still undergoing since season 5.

Sorry, brother. It's not gonna happen. I thought maybe you would have seen this reply to me from Ben in another thread:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/652179#Comment_652179

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@pah.4931 said:Any chance in hell you're considering bringing team queue back? It sucks that my two brothers and I can't farm pips on the few nights we can play together...

I never say never, but it's pretty unlikely. Our plan for supporting full teams is AT's. The main problem, as many point out, is that the dailies only happen 4 times per day. Our hope is that once On-Demand tournaments are released, teams will have a variety of ways to play together.

@pah.4931 said:

@"sephiroth.4217" said:I just want some sort of post regarding team queue...I find that when I played with friends, I had no care for balance or trivial things, I barely even used the forums unless it was from the match up threads we had years ago, I was happy in game and just had fun with friends.

Sorry, brother. It's not gonna happen. I thought maybe you would have seen this reply to me from Ben in another thread:

@pah.4931 said:Any chance in hell you're considering bringing team queue back? It sucks that my two brothers and I can't farm pips on the few nights we can play together...

I never say never, but it's pretty unlikely. Our plan for supporting full teams is AT's. The main problem, as many point out, is that the dailies only happen 4 times per day. Our hope is that once On-Demand tournaments are released, teams will have a variety of ways to play together.

Yeah I completely missed that one, thanks for linking it though.

Wonder if there will be anywhere to meet players to form a team and practice with in a semi competitive environment before undertaking such events....

@"Redead.3016" said:4.) Listen to your player base and stop trying to be the the next E-Sports. More focus on fun and less focus on E-Sports would improve the game.

I had liked your post, but gave up after read this 4th topic.What the kitten you trying to say there? "Stop focusing on competitiveness and make pvp casual"? It simply contradicted the rest of the post.

@breno.5423 said:

@"Redead.3016" said:4.) Listen to your player base and stop trying to be the the next E-Sports. More focus on fun and less focus on E-Sports would improve the game.

I had liked your post, but gave up after read this 4th topic.What the kitten you trying to say there? "Stop focusing on competitiveness and make pvp casual"? It simply contradicted the rest of the post.

Very few games ever had a primary focus on E-Sports and became the biggest E-Sports. If a developer has E-Sports in mind they lose focus on the actual game and lack on the creative abilities. Guild Wars 1 had 0 focus on E-Sports but the GvG became their primary E-Sports because it was fun not because they wanted it to become some sort of E-Sports phenomenon.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:+1 for OP.im completely in favor of anything that improves the server pride in WvW and winning value.

You can't do this as long as the majority of the WvW pop just transfers to get those rewards and be winners. That's the fundamental flaw of WvW.You literally P2W by moving yourself to a winning side for 20$... which constantly fucks population balance and the established communities on any server that "wins".

@Redead.3016 said:

@Redead.3016 said:4.) Listen to your player base and stop trying to be the the next E-Sports. More focus on fun and less focus on E-Sports would improve the game.

Very few games ever had a primary focus on E-Sports and became the biggest E-Sports. If a developer has E-Sports in mind they lose focus on the actual game and lack on the creative abilities. Guild Wars 1 had 0 focus on E-Sports but the GvG became their primary E-Sports because it was fun not because they wanted it to become some sort of E-Sports phenomenon.

Can't understand your point, seriously.

One thing dont implies to another. In fact, E-Sports make competitiveness bigger.

@Etheri.5406 said:

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:+1 for OP.im completely in favor of anything that improves the server pride in WvW and winning value.

You can't do this as long as the majority of the WvW pop just transfers to get those rewards and be winners. That's the fundamental flaw of WvW.You literally P2W by moving yourself to a winning side for 20$... which constantly kitten population balance and the established communities on any server that "wins".

Its a non existente problem, cuz theres already a solution.Servers have a population cap.This is the real reason why there are not only 3 to 6 servers yet.

by the way i dont have a tournament between all servers in mind, but the winner of match.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@ugrakarma.9416 said:+1 for OP.im completely in favor of anything that improves the server pride in WvW and winning value.

You can't do this as long as the majority of the WvW pop just transfers to get those rewards and be winners. That's the fundamental flaw of WvW.You literally P2W by moving yourself to a winning side for 20$... which constantly kitten population balance and the established communities on any server that "wins".

Its a non existente problem, cuz theres already a solution.Servers have a population cap.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahzzggazhazhgage. HAHAHAHHAAHHAHA. ok. nice joke.

Let's see... Every "full" and #1 server in the history of EU WvW since HoT has received LINK SERVERS. It's nice to be FULL but it doesn't mean anything if I can still move there for 120g / 2 months.And if servers can't be "stacked" without being "full", goodluck my friend. I look at stats and I see servers at 1.8-2.0 KDA while being medium or high status. I see NOT ONE eu server on "full" right now. Balance fixed?

Honestly, the idea that "full servers" prevent a timezone from being stacked or populations from being inbalanced is absolutely absurd. "Full" status relies on playtime, is godawful and fixes nothing.

Please tell me how "full" status saved deso... Oh wait no it was linked with vabbi twice, still got completely overstacked, then never linked again while stuck in t3-t5. Instead they gave 2 cheap links to FSP, the second best server, to ensure the bandwagon goes there next. And no suprise, FSP was going to die too.Gandara full? Linked every time. SFR full? Linked.

No really, how exactly does "full" status stop anything? Also being stacked or inbalanced has nothing to do with the amount of players... As crazy as that sounds.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

There is a main mechanical difference between the two games. Guild Wars 1 was a competitive game, and the mechanics reinforced that. Guild Wars 2 is a cooperative game, and the mechanics / story reinforce this.I agree that e-sports should not be a focus. Especially 6 years in. Instead of focusing on the spectator, or ease of knowing which team is ahead; we need to focus on "what does our game do better" and "what is fun".

Adding a stronghold map with slightly different mechanics, and allowing guilds to queue against each other will open the game up to a PvP focused community. Stronghold holds the theme of warring guilds breaking into a guild's hall. Working with NPC's and working against player characters also plays better than straight up team fights in Guild Wars 2.We also need a guild based SPvP mode and ranking. It is surprising that there is no use for a PvP guild in a game themed around guilds warring. There are no guild ranks, no spectator mode, and no pvp progression.

E-sports is not off the table. If we can create a vibrant PvP community, we can still get here. The hard truth is; the PvP only players left the game a year in. We already know why, so I won't get into it. If e-sports is a serious goal, you need them back.There is clear potential for a vibrant PvP community in Guild Wars 2. If the right game modes and balance patches are applied, we will easily see the competitive PvP community that left Guild Wars 2 return to check things out.