Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

Or... you could dual boot Windows and just play the game. Honestly, even though I have used GNU/Linux as my main OS for well over a decade, when it comes to playing DirectX games, I just use Windows, because it's the right tool for the job. I mean, I can play in Windows at 100% performance without any problems and messing around or I could spend my precious time forcing the game to work with WINE and fixing issue just to get a significantly worse game play experience. It doesn't make sense.By all means, if you enjoy getting this work as a hobby, have at'r, but if you just want to "play the game", far and away you're better off using Windows.

Now if ArenaNet made a native Linux OpenGL client, I would be all over that!

Sincerely,GNU/Linux Open Source Developer

100% Tatwi. I've an old laptop, which I cannot afford to replace at the moment (probably for some time). Unfortunately, driver-wise, it has also been badly supported - just shy of a year after I purchased it, they stopped releasing drivers and it's been plagued with display errors, which initially I thought was an over-heating problem. Got to say, I've not been impressed. But it's way past time since I should have been getting to know Linux a lot better and I can't think of a better way than to try and get one of my favorite games to work... sort of, well in a roundabout fashion, I mean hey - it didn't crash once to... bzzzt

@"Tatwi.3562" said:Or... you could dual boot Windows and just play the game. Honestly, even though I have used GNU/Linux as my main OS for well over a decade, when it comes to playing DirectX games, I just use Windows, because it's the right tool for the job. I mean, I can play in Windows at 100% performance without any problems and messing around or I could spend my precious time forcing the game to work with WINE and fixing issue just to get a significantly worse game play experience. It doesn't make sense.By all means, if you enjoy getting this work as a hobby, have at'r, but if you just want to "play the game", far and away you're better off using Windows.

If you just want to "play" the game chances are you don't want to deal with Linux at all and just want stuff to work without thinking about it or learning about something new in relation to computer science. There is nothing at all wrong with that.

It does make sense to others though even if it does not make sense to you.

I don't use Linux or run apps in it for a "hobby". I don't do it because I have to. I do it because it makes sense to me.

I really would love a native client but they are not going to do it. I really don't want MS on my PC gear. Really really don't. This is the option that makes the most sense to me.

I think this thread is a great place to come get help and everyone posting has been really helpful. Thank you for being respectful however, I think I might have gotten into arguments in my life over ones desire pro and con in Linux topics so I like the civility. This is not a criticism of your opinion please do not take it like that if you are. Just another view point.

For others:

Don't let the sentiment it "doesn't make sense" stop you from trying to run this in Linux. It for the most part actually runs pretty good once you sort it out a bit and if you are already using Linux chances are you don't mind sorting stuff out :)

@jbrother.1340 said:

@"Tatwi.3562" said:Or... you could dual boot Windows and just play the game. Honestly, even though I have used GNU/Linux as my main OS for well over a decade, when it comes to playing DirectX games, I just use Windows, because it's the right tool for the job. I mean, I can play in Windows at 100% performance without any problems and messing around or I could spend my precious time forcing the game to work with WINE and fixing issue just to get a significantly worse game play experience. It doesn't make sense.By all means, if you enjoy getting this work as a hobby, have at'r, but if you just want to "play the game", far and away you're better off using Windows.

If you just want to "play" the game chances are you don't want to deal with Linux at all and just want stuff to work without thinking about it or learning about something new in relation to computer science.Yeah, sure, whatever you say lol...

I just thought I would come back and add that I find it disappointing that there are so many people on this forum who will trot out passive-aggressive personal attacks, such as yours, in the hopes that such attacks will invalidate other people's contributions. It's extremely sad behavior.

I came here and provided my personal experience and recommendation on running this game (and many other DirectX games) in Linux, because I would hate for the negative experience of running GW2 in Linux to put someone off the game. If all a person really wants to do is play the game, then it works perfectly fine in Windows 7/8/10 on both PC and x86 based Mac hardware and that's how they should play the game. In fact, that's how the game is supposed to be played. And, there is absolutely nothing wrong with me saying so.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:well, it is kind of wrong. Because people in this thread really want to play this game, without the hassle of installing windows, or running windows.

My machines have been windows free for almost 20 years. I do not want to change that.

Hence the very reason a thread like this is valuable for those that feel like you.

and for anyone else that agrees with your sentiment like myself.

It is not such a great thread for those that think the answer to this is always "just use windows..."

@ArmoredVehicle.2849Right I went through the thread and I ended up encountering same errors as user @"dieterengelhardt.8759". Added all the packages and when I use play.sh client get launched, I get it's serious error and in terminal I get the following output:

000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 3.7 is a testing version containing experimental patches.000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.0009:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.0009:fixme:kerberos:kerberos_SpInstanceInit 65536,0x7fdcc0fb67a0,(nil): stub0009:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x10000 0 0x23fd00 4 stub0009:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x360000 0 0x23fce0 4 stub0009:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x360000 1 (nil) 0 stub002e:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0xc1fdd0 (nil)): stub002f:fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0xd2fdd0): stub002e:fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0xc1fdd0): stubATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.0032:fixme:d3d_perf:wined3d_buffer_heap_create PBA: using GL_CLIENT_STORAGE_BIT quirkPBA: using GL_CLIENT_STORAGE_BIT quirkInitialized PBA (geo_heap_size: 536870912, cb_heap_size: 134217728, ub_align: 16)0009:fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x1303390, L"C:\GW2\GW2.exe", 0x23f170)003d:fixme:msctf:ThreadMgrSource_AdviseSink (0x144a950) Unhandled Sink: {ea1ea136-19df-11d7-a6d2-00065b84435c}003d:fixme:imm:ImmDisableTextFrameService Stub003d:fixme:d3d9:D3DPERF_GetStatus (void) : stub003d:fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationJobObject stub: 0x218 2 0x255dbb0 64 (nil)003d:fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationJobObject stub: 0x218 9 0x255dbf0 144 (nil)0044:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"wininet.dll": libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory0044:err:module:import_dll Loading library wininet.dll (which is needed by L"C:\windows\system32\urlmon.dll") failed (error c000007a).0044:err:module:import_dll Library urlmon.dll (which is needed by L"C:\GW2\bin64\CoherentUI_Host.exe") not found0044:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"C:\GW2\bin64\CoherentUI_Host.exe" failed, status c0000135003d:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION

I am running Linux Mint 18.3 Xcfe on X230. I would greatly appreciate any help, just be gentle with me as I am a Linux newb. Thanks in advance!

@"Dirtydeal.1032" said:0044:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"wininet.dll": libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hi :-)

This line indicates that the zlib1g package is not installed in your system, I forgot if the game requires the 64 or 32 bit version but it doesn't hurt to install them both (it's safe and some other 32bit programs/games may require it anyway at some point).

If you search for zlib1g in your package manager it should show up easily. Post the next log if the game still doesn't run.

@Tatwi.3562 said:Now if ArenaNet made a native Linux OpenGL client, I would be all over that!

Much as I'd like that, I'd be happy even if they'd just expose the OpenGL renderer (which they already have) to the Windows version. I can't tell if it would perform better or worse than the DirectX one and doing so they would be supporting Linux indirectly.

For comparison, I'm picturing this in a similar fashion to modern id Software games (Wolfenstein / Doom 2016), these games use OpenGL and Vulkan and performance with Wine is on par as if ran under native Windows. 2 Birds with 1 stone as they say.

@"ArmoredVehicle.2849"

Hi pal, I had it installed and I reinstalled it just in case, yet the error message is still present.

0043:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"wininet.dll": libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You mentioned 32 and 64 bit versions, and me being a linux newb, I dont really understand where can I download the other. Package manager displays the zlib1g without specifying 32/64 and that is the one I install if there is a way to differentiate and install the other let me know.

So yea, shout if you have any ideas how to solve this. :)

Hey its me again...

Right ignore the previous post. I installed lib32z1 and it went further. Now i get the same client error as usual, but the terminal give mes following:

lines and lines and lines of this

wine client error:73: write: Bad file descriptorlibgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work0073:err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.wine client error:73: write: Bad file descriptorlibgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work0073:err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.wine client error:73: write: Bad file descriptor003d:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION

I see that libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for whatever reason, but I cant seem to find the specific package to install. There are many that start with libgcc... any help?

EDIT: libgcc1 and libgcc-5-dev are already installed

Hey its me again...

@"ArmoredVehicle.2849"

Right ignore the previous post. I installed lib32z1 and it went further. Now i get the same client error as usual, but the terminal give mes following:

lines and lines and lines of this

wine client error:73: write: Bad file descriptorlibgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work0073:err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.wine client error:73: write: Bad file descriptorlibgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work0073:err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.wine client error:73: write: Bad file descriptor003d:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION

I see that libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for whatever reason, but I cant seem to find the specific package to install. There are many that start with libgcc... any help?

EDIT: libgcc1 and libgcc-5-dev are already installedEDIT2: this beautiful line fixes it - apt-get install lib32gcc1, no errors but i am stuck on the login screen with no login text boxes, now usage CPU usage goes up and makes screen almost freeze, everything is superslow.https://drive.google.com/file/d/19c5r7AP3EBfX9-Nvivp3B1WX_13UzV1j/view?usp=sharing

Hey, glad you got further. I noticed something about freetype.org in that terminal screenshot, could you please post a longer log? I'm suspecting a missing font package may be at play here since you have missing text. In regards where to add the command line parameters, go into the bin folder and open up "user_run" in a text editor and at the last line where it reads:

"../../../bin/wine64" ./GW2.exe -dx9single & disownadd to it:"../../../bin/wine64" ./GW2.exe -dx9single -nopatchui -email youremail@domain.com -password yourpassword & disown

This will skip the login screen entirely. Be aware that with this method if your game is downloading an update or lots of files, the game's window might take a while to appear.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:the nvidia drivers are usually hassle free. So are the amd drivers. The intel drivers are the special kid.

I've actually had very good performance with Intel HD using a desktop i3-7100 CPU / 8GB Ram and Xubuntu 18.04 (Mesa 18.0), the game works surprisingly well considering the GPU's limited capabilities.

@trixantea.1230 said:Which linux version do you people recommend for gaming?Does linux support Nvidia drivers without any issues?

By version you probably mean distro. As a Linux newcomer I suggest Mint which is very polished/stable and works very well for gaming. Nvidia is supported and performs very well under Linux. They are giving somewhat more attention to Linux.

I run 4 PC's with different Nvidia GPU's and have 0 issues with them.

Ok, so I have a weird situation. I have a Windows laptop that is dual boot Win 10/Unbuntu 18.04 and GW2 runs on both boots very well....following these steps for Linux. Then I have a 2011 27 inch iMac that is dual boot Mac OS /Ubuntu 18.04(same as the laptop) that runs GW2 a little better than the laptop since the laptop has lower specs. The weird thing is I followed these steps to install GW2 on the Linux boot of my Mac, it brings my mac grinding to a halt.....almost. It will accept input from the keyboard or mouse about ever 10 seconds or so. This behavior starts when the client loads and begins downloading the initial content of the game. It gets down to about 30 files left to download and then progress stops. When I kill the client because it isn't responding anymore and then run ./play.sh, it never loads all the way to the character selection screen without locking up the system. So I decided to try ./debug.sh to see if I could tell what was happening. The first time I ran ./debug.sh, it loaded all the way to the character selection and I logged in to a character and decided to set the graphics options like the screenshot here. I then exited to desktop and ran ./debug.sh again.....nothing! Locked up the system again and has never loaded the client past the login screen since. Anyone else have this happening? I get the account login screen each time, but when I click Play, it locks up my system. I even pulled up the system resource app to watch the CPU and memory. The CPU's take a good hit....up to about 61% on the first core (i5), but never maxed out and I have 12 GB RAM and it's not being maxed either so I'm not sure why this is killing me so bad. As things stand right now, everything is fully installed and downloaded but after the GW2 "Initializing Screen" pops up and then goes away, the system is locking up before I get the login screen. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Ok, so this is even more weird.... I can now get it to completely get passed the Initializing screen and to the login screen and then start the game and play.....But.....I have to keep my mouse moving when I start it up. Like as soon as I type ./play.sh and hit enter, I keep my mouse moving (just in circles really) and the game will start up. If I lean back in my chair and dont touch anything, it locks the whole system up and I have to hard restart it. What kind of witchcraft is this??! I have tested this several times and each time it starts if I move the mouse and locks the system if I dont.

Hi All,Great Idea OP, and thank you.
I was wondering if anyone else was getting the following messages when running GW on AMD Graphics hardware. I've a R7 240, and R7 200 in my machine, the 240, is used to run the principle monitor, the other to run two additional monitors.radeon: The kernel rejected CS, see dmesg for more information (-22)the dmesg is then:[24754.987273] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Packet0 not allowed!

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04, Kernel: 4.15.0-33.36. Other key Hardware: processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8, 16gb ram.GW2 still runs, just the message is a little concerning. I switched to this from a lutris install, as that kept, white out-ing and freezing my system.

Having tried it again tonight, I have the dreaded white screens of snow are back again! I tried running debug.sh, but it doesn't seem to write a log file anywhere i could find, and as the only way to get rid of the white screen of snow is to hard reboot the pc, I can't copy the terminal details. I'm moderatly sure that the graphics card is good, as the damn thing works fine in Windoze, but I hate rebooting to win10 out of linux, as it's so damn slow to load.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 or anyone else, any suggestions or data that's needed to help debug this issue? The screen goes black briefly then turns to white snow, and the entire PC hangs.

Help, I want to abandon windows properly... :D

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@Slawo.1792 said:Great work, thank you!

Anyone has any idea what could be the reason for getting 15-20 FPS regardless of any graphical setting or player density?

Spec: 1080Ti with nvidia drivers, 1950x, Fedora 28 4.17

If it isn't already set that way: You could try to run on an X.org session instead of Wayland.

also CPU is more important than GPU actually.

Try putting the CPU in performance mode.

@Arctellion.6419 said:Hi All,Great Idea OP, and thank you.

I was wondering if anyone else was getting the following messages when running GW on AMD Graphics hardware. I've a R7 240, and R7 200 in my machine, the 240, is used to run the principle monitor, the other to run two additional monitors.radeon: The kernel rejected CS, see dmesg for more information (-22)the dmesg is then:[24754.987273] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Packet0 not allowed!

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04, Kernel: 4.15.0-33.36. Other key Hardware: processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8, 16gb ram.GW2 still runs, just the message is a little concerning. I switched to this from a lutris install, as that kept, white out-ing and freezing my system.

those can be caused by:stupid kernel patchesmemory issuespower management

Try putting the card into 'high' mode. Does the problem go away? Congratz, many people had that.If it does not help, try a non-distribution, aka 'vanilla' kernel. Does the problem go away? Congratz, many people are bitten by stupid distri patches.If it does not help, try different ram sticks/lower ram clocks. Does the problem go away? Congratz, now you know why many people buy CPUs that support ECC ram and use ECC ram.