Scythe Skins for Greatswords

I'm super happy to see the Suntouched Scythe in the game as a cosmetic skin. But a lot of its potential coolness is lost on the fact that it's only a staff override. There are only two classes (Rev and Daredevil) that use staffs as melee weapons meaning as cool as it is it's kind of an underwhelming grab.

On the other hand, if scythe skins doubled as Staff AND Greatsword skins they would see a lot more use as actual weapons. It also doesn't hurt that a lot of the Greatsword animations involve lots and lots of spinning which is what the scythe in the Guild Wars universe is known for.
Just something to mull over.

• Like 1

@derd.6413 said:only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

Nobody would use a scythe as a weapon against anything but wheat, if you wanna bring the argument down that route. The weapon(s) know as “war scythes” were more akin to halberds or poleaxes than what most people think of as a scythe.

Thankfully, GW2 is a fantasy game, not a realistic medieval combat sim. Using a traditional scythe with Greatsword animations is no dumber than with the Staff melee animations: it is equally dumb from a realism point of view.

Which means equally viable in a fantasy game such as this. Rule of Cool.

• Like 1

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"derd.6413" said:only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

Nobody would use a scythe as a weapon against anything but wheat, if you wanna bring the argument down that route. The weapon(s) know as “war scythes” were more akin to halberds or poleaxes than what most people think of as a scythe.

Thankfully, GW2 is a fantasy game, not a realistic medieval combat sim. Using a traditional scythe with Greatsword animations is no dumber than with the Staff melee animations: it is equally dumb. Which means equally viable and perfectly fine.

95% of staves in gw2 are "big sticks with something on top" which a scythe is closer to then a "really big sword".

@derd.6413 said:

@derd.6413 said:only somebody with 0 understanding of weapons would use a scyth like a greatsword

Thankfully, GW2 is a fantasy game, not a realistic medieval combat sim. Using a traditional scythe with Greatsword animations is no dumber than with the Staff melee animations: it is equally dumb. Which means equally viable and perfectly fine.

95% of staves in gw2 are "big sticks with something on top" which a scythe is closer to then a "really big sword".

That’s irrelevant to the point I was making. Using a scythe(or any Staff skin as it were) as a Greatsword is no dumber than using it like a bo Staff.

@derd.6413 said:

True, but if we are going even deeper within the point of the Scythe, it is a melee weapon, not a staff-shooting thing stave.

In the Istan map, the loyalist and sunspear Dervishes are using some of the Guardian's animation skills and abilities, such as Whirling Wrath and Leap of Faith, I would rather see Scythes into Greatsword skins too.I currently using Daredevil as my "Dervish" since his animation is the closest to the original.

Here's your reason:

PvP. Many aspects of the game are meant to give opponents information regarding your character so they can have an idea of what to expect. Scythe skins are for staves meaning that any time someone sees a character using a Scythe they know to expect staff-based skills. Give Scythe skins to Greatswords and now you can have a Druid running around with a Greatsword that could actually be a Staff and the enemy wouldn't know until they Swoop in and try to drop a Maul bomb on them.

@Llethander.3972 said:Here's your reason:

PvP. Many aspects of the game are meant to give opponents information regarding your character so they can have an idea of what to expect. Scythe skins are for staves meaning that any time someone sees a character using a Scythe they know to expect staff-based skills. Give Scythe skins to Greatswords and now you can have a Druid running around with a Greatsword that could actually be a Staff and the enemy wouldn't know until they Swoop in and try to drop a Maul bomb on them.

Surely a skilled pvp player who analyse such a thing, would also recognise the difference from the stance/animation/way weapon is held

@Randulf.7614 said:

Surely a skilled pvp player who analyse such a thing, would also recognise the difference from the stance/animation/way weapon is held

Scythes are held the same way as staves... and use the staff animations.

I'm now trying to imagine a Ranger/Druid holding a Scythe Staff like a Greatsword and using Maul. That would be the absolute worst animation for a Scythe.

@Llethander.3972 said:

Scythes are held the same way as staves... and use the staff animations.

I'm now trying to imagine a Ranger/Druid holding a Scythe Staff like a Greatsword and using Maul. That would be the absolute worst animation for a Scythe.

Well in the GW1 universe they're not held anything like a druid holds a staff which was how I was imagining it...however yes point well made about existing Greatsword animations looking even dumber if they had scythe skins. I really hadn't thought about Maul.....

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@wickedkae.4980 said:If I could also get my daggers skinned like a scythe I would like that as well since we are going down the road of stupid ideas.

Ironically that would work out just fine since Kamas and Sickles exists. I’m sure they can be handled with a reverse grip.

There's a Luxon dagger skins that uses reverse grip, Dragon Kama Skin.

@Alga.6498 said:

@wickedkae.4980 said:If I could also get my daggers skinned like a scythe I would like that as well since we are going down the road of stupid ideas.

Ironically that would work out just fine since Kamas and Sickles exists. I’m sure they can be handled with a reverse grip.

There's a Luxon dagger skins that uses reverse grip, Dragon Kama Skin.

So we have scythe staffs, scythe daggers. I think we could do with scythe greatswords.

@"Alga.6498" said:I currently using Daredevil as my "Dervish" since his animation is the closest to the original.

Daredevil staff-as-scythe hits the foe with the blunt end of the blade.

Revenant staff-as-scythe stabs the foe with the pointy end of the blade, and has a number of animations that look pretty Dervish-like, more so than the Daredevil

Nobody else uses it as a melee weapon, and nobody cuts the foe with it. If we really want to go down the realism route, it should be its own weapon type, and we should, as noted, be cutting the foes off at the ankles (knees for Inquest foes, of course) like they were wheat, barley, oats, rye, or merely long grass.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:Nobody else uses it as a melee weapon, and nobody cuts the foe with it. If we really want to go down the realism route, it should be its own weapon type, and we should, as noted, be cutting the foes off at the ankles (knees for Inquest foes, of course) like they were wheat, barley, oats, rye, or merely long grass.

I guess Reapers kinda do while in their Shroud form?

Yes, because the class icons on the PvP map aren't enough of a damn giveaway to what your opponent's class and a possibility of what they are using. Just because you can't tell what the class is running in PvP doesn't mean everyone else has 'issues' with it. There are animations and auditory clues for you to go off of.

The same could be said for greatswords themselves. IRL, they are used more like polearms. In GW2 (and most fantasy settings for that matter) they are used like a woodcutters axe.

So, realism already being damned, bring on the scythe skins.

@Rhyse.8179 said:

The same could be said for greatswords themselves. IRL, they are used more like polearms. In GW2 (and most fantasy settings for that matter) they are used like a woodcutters axe.

So, realism already being damned, bring on the scythe skins.

Where were greatswords used like polearms?