New playable race

Xar.1387

Yes, i wrote "with a relatively small amount of work" with full awareness of what I am writing.I know it means they have to create new maps for them. New story. Voice acting, etc etc - but hey. The're doing it anyway. With every expansion.So new expansion just could refer to the dwarves race. And yes - I think it can bring much more hype if new story brings new playable race for people.Than story and expansion without it. Same with mounts, and gliders. Expansions and their story wont be the same without it.The universe and game story becomes stronger with stuff like that. And game feeling is just better then.

Anyway. There's some very successful mmorpg's which uses this mechanism. And they promote their games this way so strongly. So as we can see it just works

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:and that's the whole closed minded part i am talking about, think beyond that.what if there is a dwarf race beyond the borders of tyria, a race that wants nothing to do with the great dwarf and made their own way of existence.

Why not add a unique/new race beyond the borders of Tyria instead of adding Dwarves?

Thats what they call deus ex machina, an entirely random and unfitting way to resolve a problem.“Oh, we need X to solve Y, i just happened to have an X the other day, what luck”

And trust me, anet pulled a DEM twice, and the playerbase dit not respond positively in neither case

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:and that's the whole closed minded part i am talking about, think beyond that.what if there is a dwarf race beyond the borders of tyria, a race that wants nothing to do with the great dwarf and made their own way of existence.

Why not add a unique/new race beyond the borders of Tyria instead of adding Dwarves?

Thats what they call deus ex machina, an entirely random and unfitting way to resolve a problem.“Oh, we need X to solve Y, i just happened to have an X the other day, what luck”

And trust me, anet pulled a DEM twice, and the playerbase dit
not
respond positively in neither case

If they added a "new" race it would be one of the ones they considered making playable before the game came out i think, and in my opinion, destroying established lore to just.. "add" a species that has a set lore is a terrible idea.

edited cause lol saying the same thing twice.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:and that's the whole closed minded part i am talking about, think beyond that.what if there is a dwarf race beyond the borders of tyria, a race that wants nothing to do with the great dwarf and made their own way of existence.

And trust me, anet pulled a DEM twice, and the playerbase dit
not
respond positively in neither case

and bringing the dwarves back from extinction wouldn't be a bigger deus ex machina

The races who should be added is one of these:

Tengu (Charr skeleton) or Largos (humanoid).

I personally would love to see Tengu playable. ANet could do so much with it.The starter arena, the racial capital city, cultural armor and weapons.Give Tengu-players their own personal story, just like the other 6 races has.Instead of joining orders and defeat Zhaitan, they could give us an alternative storyline if that's the case.Maybe flashbacks of what happened in Cantha and why the Emporer banish all non-human races. What the Tengu been doing all this time and why they shutted out the world and stayed hidden inside their Dominion of Winds.

Largos, according to the wiki, has powerful clan/houses and lives underwater. This could be an excellent idea to make us go underwater, explore the Unending Ocean and even know more about Slebbub!Since they are humanoid race, with Russian accent (which is sooo cool!).

I believe ANet stated somewhere they didnt want to go with the classical races in fantasy world games such as Dwarf, Elf, Human, etc.

@"Alga.6498" said:The races who should be added is one of these:

Tengu (Charr skeleton) or Largos (humanoid).

I personally would love to see Tengu playable. ANet could do so much with it.The starter arena, the racial capital city, cultural armor and weapons.Give Tengu-players their own personal story, just like the other 6 races has.Instead of joining orders and defeat Zhaitan, they could give us an alternative storyline if that's the case.Maybe flashbacks of what happened in Cantha and why the Emporer banish all non-human races. What the Tengu been doing all this time and why they shutted out the world and stayed hidden inside their Dominion of Winds.

Largos, according to the wiki, has powerful clan/houses and lives underwater. This could be an excellent idea to make us go underwater, explore the Unending Ocean and even know more about Slebbub!Since they are humanoid race, with Russian accent (which is sooo cool!).

I believe ANet stated somewhere they didnt want to go with the classical races in fantasy world games such as Dwarf, Elf, Human, etc.

they did state that, in a interview before launch, and one afterwards, ill try to find it if needed, but i recall those questions being asked more than once to the anet team at one point in time.

as to the tengu not taking part in the orders story, i dont think that would work. They would have something similiar to what they did with GW1 campaigns. "you are viewing historical events" type dialogue so that players of the tengu would still have all the choices available.

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:Thats what they call deus ex machina, an entirely random and unfitting way to resolve a problem.“Oh, we need X to solve Y, i just happened to have an X the other day, what luck”

And trust me, anet pulled a DEM twice, and the playerbase dit not respond positively in neither case

What are you talking about? I was responding to this quote:

what if there is a dwarf race beyond the borders of tyria, a race that wants nothing to do with the great dwarf and made their own way of existence.That says our Tyria Dwafs turned to stone so they can't be used in a story, but Dwarfs that live in another, distant, part of the world can be added to the game.

I was merely stating that if they go beyond our known Tyria they should add a -new/unique- race instead of saying "Hey in this distant part there are Dwarfs, in that other continent there is Charr, in another one Asura and so on. Instead of adding an already established race, add a new one instead. Again, only under the idea that we'll go beyond Tyria, not for a new race to appear randomly out of thin air and go all like "we've always been here, but you couldn't see us"

@Alga.6498 said:

@Alga.6498 said:So, let me get it all right;No expansions - HoT & PoF expansions.No raids - added later on after HoT exp.No mounts - PoF expansion content.No new playable races - next expansion??

Who knows really what ANet is up to and what's on the table.New races are one of the most requested content of the playerbase, it would be a shame and a bad move if ANet dont grant us this in the future.

They never said there will never be expansions; the possibility was always left open. They never said anything about mounts. They never said raids wouldn't be in the games; they always left open the possibility.

Oh please, if you have been here at the start you would know these kind of stuff. Clearly you haven't been around that long. However, they DID said ''no expansions will ever come to GW2'' because of the Living World, you can even look it up at the older forum.

No they did not.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Alga.6498 said:So, let me get it all right;No expansions - HoT & PoF expansions.No raids - added later on after HoT exp.No mounts - PoF expansion content.No new playable races - next expansion??

Who knows really what ANet is up to and what's on the table.New races are one of the most requested content of the playerbase, it would be a shame and a bad move if ANet dont grant us this in the future.

They never said there will never be expansions; the possibility was always left open. They never said anything about mounts. They never said raids wouldn't be in the games; they always left open the possibility.

Oh please, if you have been here at the start you would know these kind of stuff. Clearly you haven't been around that long. However, they DID said ''no expansions will ever come to GW2'' because of the Living World, you can even look it up at the older forum.

No they did not.

Yes, they did.

@Alga.6498 said:

No they did not.

Yes, they did.

Link please.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"infrequentia.3465" said:but they can't comeback

there all dead except for ogden but thats just a head

They're not dead, they're just underground fighting the destroyers. And Ogden isn't just a head, he's the dwarf who works with the Priory and who helps us get to Glint's Lair during the living story. The one who is just a head is Rhoban (who also teams up with the Priory later).

The other dwarves might well come back into the story at some point, especially if we end up fighting Primordius or otherwise going underground. But I think it's unlikely they'll ever be a playable race because they're now completely single-minded and devoted to fighting the destroyers so they wouldn't be able to do anything else.

The Guild Wars wiki says that only the Deldrimor turned to Stone. This means The Stone Summit never took part in the Rite. The wiki also says"After the death of Duncan, who is said to be the last Hierophant of the Stone Summit, it is unknown what happened to them."Also, back when the Rite was cast during the events of Eye of the North, it's reasonable to say that not all Deldrimor would have been able to take part. Dwarves out in The Mists, etc.

From the GW2 wiki itself:

"Dwarven society continued on regardless. During this time, the remaining Stone Summit rejoined what remained of Deldrimor and the two communities lived together in peace once more. However, about fifty years after the Rite of the Great Dwarf was first performed, the last of the flesh and blood dwarves felt the call to undergo the Rite themselves."

All dwarves are now stone.

I can't find the source for that information. Only a vague promise that someone heard someone say that.

Ogden states in a priory mission during the main storyline that the entirety of his species is in the depths fighting the great destroyer, and he alone remains above to tell the tale(this was way before the LW episode with the dwarf above ground.)

Ogdens and the players qoutes:
Ogden Stonehealer: You've averted a catastrophe and saved the Priory. I've seen scores of heroes in my day, and I'd wager your name will soon be among them.Player: Now that we've got a moment, tell me about your kind.  Ogden Stonehealer: Certainly. The least I can do is tell you about my people, since you saved my life. Ask away.   Player: I'd heard the dwarves were extinct. Are there many left?   Ogden Stonehealer: As a race of flesh and blood, we became extinct over 200 years ago. We made a great sacrifice to defeat the destroyers, servants of the Elder Dragon Primordus.      Player:  I'd like to hear more about that.

However if you want an interview, i give you an interview.

Ten Ton Hammer: Dwarves are believedto possess more knowledge about dragons like Zhaitan, but what remainsof the dwarven race has been scattered? Will there be dwarves in thegame that might possess information related to the dragons and perhapstheir awakening?

Jeff: The dwarves knew of theGreat Destroyer, the harbinger of Primordus, and knew of Jormag, andmay have had knowledge of the other dragons as well. However, in Guild Wars 2, the dwarves havetransformed into stone forms and have descended into the depths tobattle minions of Primordus. There are a few remaining dwarves on thesurface that may be of some help to players, but for the most part, thedwarves have taken their knowledge of the dragons with them deepunderground.

Ogden's people are the Deldrimor, not The Stone Summit (who never took part in the Rite). There was early talk of us being able to meet some Stone Summit that had been corrupted by Jormag which is proof alone that only a small portion of Dwarves turned to stone.

@Ulyssean.1709 said:

They're not dead, they're just underground fighting the destroyers. And Ogden isn't just a head, he's the dwarf who works with the Priory and who helps us get to Glint's Lair during the living story. The one who is just a head is Rhoban (who also teams up with the Priory later).

The other dwarves might well come back into the story at some point, especially if we end up fighting Primordius or otherwise going underground. But I think it's unlikely they'll ever be a playable race because they're now completely single-minded and devoted to fighting the destroyers so they wouldn't be able to do anything else.

The Guild Wars wiki says that only the Deldrimor turned to Stone. This means The Stone Summit never took part in the Rite. The wiki also says"After the death of Duncan, who is said to be the last Hierophant of the Stone Summit, it is unknown what happened to them."Also, back when the Rite was cast during the events of Eye of the North, it's reasonable to say that not all Deldrimor would have been able to take part. Dwarves out in The Mists, etc.

"Dwarven society continued on regardless. During this time, the remaining Stone Summit rejoined what remained of Deldrimor and the two communities lived together in peace once more. However, about fifty years after the Rite of the Great Dwarf was first performed, the last of the flesh and blood dwarves felt the call to undergo the Rite themselves."

I can't find the source for that information. Only a vague promise that someone heard someone say that.

Ogden states in a priory mission during the main storyline that the entirety of his species is in the depths fighting the great destroyer, and he alone remains above to tell the tale(this was way before the LW episode with the dwarf above ground.)

Ogden Stonehealer: You've averted a catastrophe and saved the Priory. I've seen scores of heroes in my day, and I'd wager your name will soon be among them.Player: Now that we've got a moment, tell me about your kind.  Ogden Stonehealer: Certainly. The least I can do is tell you about my people, since you saved my life. Ask away.   Player: I'd heard the dwarves were extinct. Are there many left?   Ogden Stonehealer: As a race of flesh and blood, we became extinct over 200 years ago. We made a great sacrifice to defeat the destroyers, servants of the Elder Dragon Primordus.      Player:  I'd like to hear more about that.

Ten Ton Hammer: Dwarves are believedto possess more knowledge about dragons like Zhaitan, but what remainsof the dwarven race has been scattered? Will there be dwarves in thegame that might possess information related to the dragons and perhapstheir awakening?

Jeff: The dwarves knew of theGreat Destroyer, the harbinger of Primordus, and knew of Jormag, andmay have had knowledge of the other dragons as well. However, in Guild Wars 2, the dwarves havetransformed into stone forms and have descended into the depths tobattle minions of Primordus. There are a few remaining dwarves on thesurface that may be of some help to players, but for the most part, thedwarves have taken their knowledge of the dragons with them deepunderground.

Ogden's people are the Deldrimor, not The Stone Summit (who never took part in the Rite). There was early talk of us being able to meet some Stone Summit that had been corrupted by Jormag which is proof alone that only a small portion of Dwarves turned to stone.

Also wrong, the stone summit rejoined the Deldrimor and eventually took part in the rite, from the GW2 wiki. "Dwarven society continued on regardless. During this time, the remaining Stone Summit rejoined what remained of Deldrimor and the two communities lived together in peace once more. However, about fifty years after the Rite of the Great Dwarf was first performed, the last of the flesh and blood dwarves felt the call to undergo the Rite themselves."

@Dante.1763 said:

Also wrong, the stone summit rejoined the Deldrimor and eventually took part in the rite, from the GW2 wiki. "Dwarven society continued on regardless. During this time, the remaining Stone Summit rejoined what remained of Deldrimor and the two communities lived together in peace once more. However, about fifty years after the Rite of the Great Dwarf was first performed, the last of the flesh and blood dwarves felt the call to undergo the Rite themselves."

Yet again you are relying on information that has no citation or evidence. Around about 75% of the GW2 wiki page on Dwarves has no evidence backing it up and appears to have been written based on headcanon.

@"Vayne.8563" said:Pretty sure that Anet intentionally changed the dwarves in Eye of the North to get rid of the dwarf trope, so that this game could not be like every other "standard" MMO and it's good they did. You could call Sylvari elves, but they're really not. You could call Norns dwarves, but they're again, not. This game has a world that's unique to itself. Anet would be foolish not to keep it that way. Say no to dwarves (and vampires and werewolves while we're at it).

Sure but they could still use those classic races inventively

@Fenom.9457 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:Pretty sure that Anet intentionally changed the dwarves in Eye of the North to get rid of the dwarf trope, so that this game could not be like every other "standard" MMO and it's good they did. You could call Sylvari elves, but they're really not. You could call Norns dwarves, but they're again, not. This game has a world that's unique to itself. Anet would be foolish not to keep it that way. Say no to dwarves (and vampires and werewolves while we're at it).

but if they did that would they still be dwarf enough to satisfy the dwarf crowd?

@derd.6413 said:

but if they did that would they still be dwarf enough to satisfy the dwarf crowd?

If done right, which I think they can

@Ulyssean.1709 said:

Yet again you are relying on information that has no citation or evidence. Around about 75% of the GW2 wiki page on Dwarves has no evidence backing it up and appears to have been written based on headcanon.

It comes from here, at leas the part about them as a race no longer being flesh and blood.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Movement_of_the_World

which is copied verbatim from an official source.

Scroll down to the part where it says Dwarves: it specifically states that the fight between the destroyers and the dwarves consumed the dwarven race, stone summit and deldrimor arent races, they are groups of dwarves.

Also this is from Linsey Murdock earlier this year, in regards to three questions:

Heres the questions as posted by @Swagger.1459

How much did the devs love Dwarves in GW from a race, story and lore standpoint?

Will Dwarves play a bigger role in GW2 going forward?

Will Dwarves become a playable race in GW2?

Heres the response from @"LinseyMurdock.4165"

Mixed. Some loved them, some hated them, and some were indifferent.Maybe. We are open to a lot of things and we regularly look back for opportunities to bring in legacy throwbacks. We did add our second living dwarf to the game in Living World Season 3. So it's a possibility, I suppose.No.

And heres the link to the thread:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/41040/how-much-did-the-devs-love-dwarves-in-gw

@Dante.1763 said:

It comes from here, at leas the part about them as a race no longer being flesh and blood.

Scroll down to the part where it says Dwarves: it specifically states that the fight between the destroyers and the dwarves consumed the dwarven race, stone summit and deldrimor arent races, they are groups of dwarves.

Also this is from Linsey Murdock earlier this year, in regards to three questions:

How much did the devs love Dwarves in GW from a race, story and lore standpoint?

Mixed. Some loved them, some hated them, and some were indifferent.Maybe. We are open to a lot of things and we regularly look back for opportunities to bring in legacy throwbacks. We did add our second living dwarf to the game in Living World Season 3. So it's a possibility, I suppose.No.

And heres the link to the thread:

Isn't The Movement of The World an in-world source of information? It has been stated repeatedly that in-world sources of information are not to be taken as reliable (after the debacle with regards to The Bloodstones, etc). Also, I do not see anything about The Stone Summit taking the Rite in that interview.

@Dante.1763 said:

And heres the link to the thread:

Just as I was trying to move on from a broken heart.... you had to dredge up that sad news again...

This is one area that I may never forgive Anet for... <\3

@Alga.6498 said:

Here’s the quote and no they never said no expansions, they actually said it’s on the table but if the Living World works out they won’t need it.

(Emphasis is mine)

Expansion and Living Story

“So right now we're not really looking at expansions as an option," lead content designer Mike Zadorojny told me on his visit to London last week."It's something that's on the table but it's not something we're focused on, because what we want to do is - our idea here is that with Living World, we can do what expansions would have done but do it on a more regular basis."I pressed him to tell me whether there would be a Guild Wars 2 expansion this year and he shook his head to indicate no. What about next year, I asked?"If we do this right," he answered, "we will probably never do an expansion and everything will be going into this Living World strategy."

So, it was only if they were happy with the results of the Living World that there would be no expansions. Obviously they weren’t happy with it so they turned to expansions as their alternate choice.

There was a post above where a dev commented on the possibility of a playable dwarven race. I cleaned it up to make it clearer as there was a lot of posting in between the question and the answer.

Playable dwarven race

Swagger.1459

1. How much did the devs love Dwarves in GW from a race, story and lore standpoint?
  2. Will Dwarves play a bigger role in GW2 going forward?
  3. Will Dwarves become a playable race in GW2?

LinseyMurdoch.4165

1. Mixed. Some loved them, some hated them, and some were indifferent.
  2. Maybe. We are open to a lot of things and we regularly look back for opportunities to bring in legacy throwbacks. We did add our second living dwarf to the game in Living World Season 3. So it's a possibility, I suppose.
  3. No.

That’s a flat no on playable dwarven race.

People do need to understand one little thing.

ANet has REMOVED animations rather than fix them. Do you guys REALLY think they'll make brand new ones for a Dwarf playable race? IF they add another playable race, it'll be Tengu or Largos mostly because their animations are already there since we see, interact and even fight them in-game.

@Fenom.9457 said:

If done right, which I think they can

Given some of the nonsense in this thread i'd say ppl will ask for dwarves until anet copy pastes them from lotr

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

Here’s the quote and no they never said no expansions, they actually said it’s on the table but if the Living World works out they won’t need it.

(Emphasis is mine)

“So right now we're not really looking at expansions as an option," lead content designer Mike Zadorojny told me on his visit to London last week."
It's something that's on the table but it's not something we're focused on, because what we want to do is - our idea here is that with Living World, we can do what expansions would have done but do it on a more regular basis.
"I pressed him to tell me whether there would be a Guild Wars 2 expansion this year and he shook his head to indicate no. What about next year, I asked?
"If we do this right
," he answered, "we will probably never do an expansion and everything will be going into this Living World strategy."

So, it was only if they were happy with the results of the Living World that there would be no expansions. Obviously they weren’t happy with it so they turned to expansions as their alternate choice.

If you wanna go there with me, sure.I had a screenshot ages ago, before you even popped up here in the forums 24/7, as a Dev replied to an expansion thread discussion about GW2 could need an expansion.She/he did said similar"No, we wont have expansions, we have Living World- that's our "expansion"."

Yes, they wanted to make the Living World to become their expansion system but according to themselves, it failed.I quote:

"So right now we're not really looking at expansions as an option,""It's something that's on the table but it's not something we're focused on, because what we want to do is - our idea here is that with Living World, we can do what expansions would have done but do it on a more regular basis.""If we do this right," he answered, "we will probably never do an expansion and everything will be going into this Living World strategy." lead content designer Mike Zadorojny.

Do I have a proof of a dev saying "no expansions"? Sadly I do not anymore, I could go through the older forums but wasting time on that is just irrelevant.We have expansions now, thank god, so stop beating the dead horse already.