First time aiming for a Legendary weapon, any tips?

Just like what the title said, with the vast range of resources and areas to explore, aiming for a Legendary weapon looks like a herculean task.

I am eyeing for an Astralaria as my first legendary weapon; although the GW2 wiki has already provided the required resources to craft it, any tips or advise that you may provide as to where I can get them fast will be welcomed, as gathering these ingredients are not a problem for me, the only thing that I am concerned of is that this is too confusing for someone who doesn't bother PvE and going out of the open so much.

Thanks.

@"Isle of Stars.3049" said:Just like what the title said, with the vast range of resources and areas to explore, aiming for a Legendary weapon looks like a herculean task.

I am eyeing for an Astralaria as my first legendary weapon; although the GW2 wiki has already provided the required resources to craft it, any tips or advise that you may provide as to where I can get them fast will be welcomed, as gathering these ingredients are not a problem for me, the only thing that I am concerned of is that this is too confusing for someone who doesn't bother PvE and going out of the open so much.

Thanks.

Use https://gw2efficiency.com instead, its much more detailed. And get to craft your daily ascended mats asap, because you'll need a bunch of them. In meantime you can already start do the collections, get the jumping puzzles done and etc. I just made astralaria like 2 months ago, was a long journey for me.

Take your time. Really, mentally tell yourself:"this will take time, that is fine for me, I'll eventually get it done while enjoying the game."

If you want to be supper organized, make a spreadsheet of what you need (use gw2efficiency) and make a note of which materials are time gated. Materials of special note should be:

• Mystic Clovers (as mentioned by phs.6089) and Obsidian shards needed for them (or get them via spvp and wvw title tracks. the non repeatable ones give 7 for first time completion, a great way to cut down on the gold cost)
  • ascended crafting materials for T2 legendarys or be prepared to pay the price increase from the TP (will be close to 200-300 gold more expensive)
  • dungeon tokens are often required too. Not many, but it's nice to have these out of the way
  • Amalgamated Gemstones are required for T2 leggys too
  • Icy Runestone in case of Astralaria
  • Gift of Battle requires some 4-6 hours of WvW

Weave these things into your normal game play and you should be fine in getting the legendary done. Aiming for 3-6 months worth of game play is realistic unless you plan to rush it, which will be quite stressful on your first legendary.

Gl and have fun with the crafting.

The Gift of Battle has taken me 8-10 hours both times I've done it (that's counting from when I enter WvW to when I exit each night, not just from when I start getting participation) but you can probably do it faster if you stack boosters. I recommend getting the Gift of Battle before you get all the Mystic Clovers you'll need because the reward track gives Clovers. And I recommend getting the Clovers before the T6 mats because the Mystic Forge recipe for Clovers gives those too.

Other than that check for anything time-gated or where the Wiki reports a very low drop rate. I've not made Astralaria yet so I'm not sure what that would be, but I know other legendaries have some parts which take a long time and it's a good idea to start those ASAP.

And like @Cyninja.2954 said tell yourself right from the start that it will take a long time and the important thing is you will get it done eventually, not doing it quickly. There's no point rushing and getting burned out so by the time you get it you want to quit the game. You can't fail at making a legendary or lose progress so you can take your time. If you don't feel like working on it one day go do something else and come back to it when you're ready.

Many of the WvW reward tracks can reward Mystic Clovers, which if you also partake of that game mode, can quicken your journey. The mistforged armor reward track for example rewards 2 clovers in the final box, and is repeatable, and same for the hero weapons. There are also some tracks that give a 1 time reward of 7 clovers in the final box.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Many of the WvW reward tracks can reward Mystic Clovers, which if you also partake of that game mode, can quicken your journey. The mistforged armor reward track for example rewards 2 clovers in the final box, and is repeatable, and same for the hero weapons. There are also some tracks that give a 1 time reward of 7 clovers in the final box.

about the clovers you can buy 2 a day for fractal relics+ mystic coins. ( that way you never need to gamble in the mystic forge. )

@Linken.6345 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Many of the WvW reward tracks can reward Mystic Clovers, which if you also partake of that game mode, can quicken your journey. The mistforged armor reward track for example rewards 2 clovers in the final box, and is repeatable, and same for the hero weapons. There are also some tracks that give a 1 time reward of 7 clovers in the final box.

about the clovers you can buy 2 a day for fractal relics+ mystic coins. ( that way you never need to gamble in the mystic forge. )

But that requires a LOT of relics, which in turn requires a lot of fractal specific farming. MF with coins is just a function of gold and Karma (or other sources of Obsidian shards), and frankly gold is a lot easier to get then Relics, unless you're already a fractal focused famer.

Currently doing Astralaria IV myself. Astralaria 1, 2, & 3 can be 'shotgunned' pretty easily, Astralaria IV requires things be done in order. In 1, 2, & 3, I 'd go run whatever fractals I needed to, go chase down a champ, do this, do that in whatever order I felt like. In 4 (where I'm at) I've got to create the 'tools' as the first part of the collection BEFORE I go run the fractals and BEFORE I go run the Dragon Stand meta (you have to use the tools in those events). So keep that in mind - the 4th collection is going to require more discipline and doing things in sequence than the others.

Also, if you can make at least one HoT meta a day, do so. If you can get an VB canopy boss in followed by an AB run, do so. Those Almalgamated gemstones are probably the biggest chunk of gold that I'm going to have to spend on making this thing. Basically, if I had all the AG's I needed for this thing, it'd knock the cost down to between 1/3 and 1/2.

Good luck. And feel free to message me in-game if you have questions or need help.

Thanks for the advise, folks– I appreciate the help you all gave me. Currently doing the collections while trying to rack mats up. This is gonna be a helluva run.

@"Khisanth.2948" said:Astralaria 1 has a 12 day time gated item so you might want to get that out of the way.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zinn%27s_Prize_Student

Actually I tried doing these quests last night and yes, I've tried Zinn's Prize Student as the third quest and was actually surprised that I can only purchase one book a day (the hell?). That being said I'm on my way to purchase the second book later after work, I hope the door leading to the merchant is open so I don't have to do the golem quest again.

@starlinvf.1358 said:You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

And believe me, that rabbit hole runs deep......

I am currently having fun burning my time to get the items and quests, tbh.

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:Currently doing Astralaria IV myself. Astralaria 1, 2, & 3 can be 'shotgunned' pretty easily, Astralaria IV requires things be done in order. In 1, 2, & 3, I 'd go run whatever fractals I needed to, go chase down a champ, do this, do that in whatever order I felt like. In 4 (where I'm at) I've got to create the 'tools' as the first part of the collection BEFORE I go run the fractals and BEFORE I go run the Dragon Stand meta (you have to use the tools in those events). So keep that in mind - the 4th collection is going to require more discipline and doing things in sequence than the others.

Also, if you can make at least one HoT meta a day, do so. If you can get an VB canopy boss in followed by an AB run, do so. Those Almalgamated gemstones are probably the biggest chunk of gold that I'm going to have to spend on making this thing. Basically, if I had all the AG's I needed for this thing, it'd knock the cost down to between 1/3 and 1/2.

Good luck. And feel free to message me in-game if you have questions or need help.

Thanks for the tips here, good luck on your as well!

@Isle of Stars.3049 said:Thanks for the advise, folks– I appreciate the help you all gave me. Currently doing the collections while trying to rack mats up. This is gonna be a helluva run.

Good Luck and have fun!

Always remember (since it often seems veteran players are cranking out legendarys at 2 per day), the resources for making a legendary (even more so an initial T2 with their collections) are vast. After years of play (and knowing what to keep/hoard) it is possible to craft a legendary from scratch in hours (crafted a Bolt when PoF released within 1 hour since the TP prices had not adapted, sold it with a nice 900 gold profit), rest assured the first legendary took each of us ages. Mine was Twilight and it took me over 1 year with some dedicated farming of Frostgorge champions.

The burnout is real, but as long as you stick to things you enjoy you'll be fine. The payoff is so much sweeter after all the work, obviously the addiction of making the next one seeps in soon after. :p

@Isle of Stars.3049 said:Thanks for the advise, folks– I appreciate the help you all gave me. Currently doing the collections while trying to rack mats up. This is gonna be a helluva run.

@"Khisanth.2948" said:Astralaria 1 has a 12 day time gated item so you might want to get that out of the way.

Actually I tried doing these quests last night and yes, I've tried Zinn's Prize Student as the third quest and was actually surprised that I can only purchase one book a day (the hell?). That being said I'm on my way to purchase the second book later after work, I hope the door leading to the merchant is open so I don't have to do the golem quest again.

Just leave a character you don't play as much inside that room.

• 1 year later...

I've been trying to get my head around HOW to go about ledging-it for years now. I have done T1 for the Bifrost, but being male multitasking is not my forte. Thank you all for your words of wisdom and Isle of Stars for posting this thread.

I think ima use gw2efficiency.com, esp if it has an api en jeu. I love dulfy but window flicking derides into my multi-task confusion factor, and I get flustered, if you get my drift...