Easiest Profession — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Easiest Profession

I have a work colleague who is interested in GW2 but has slight vision impairment (doesn’t track fine details too well). What is a character that has a fairly simple rotation that would allow them to enjoy the game but still be viable in different game modes? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best Answer

Answers

• Uden Reavstone.3426Uden Reavstone.3426 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018

Easiest profession? That's a hard one. For the longest time, people said that it was warrior, but that may have changed. I've also seen people say that guardian, ranger and necro are easy. So maybe one of those four? Sorry that I can't be much help, but the easiest one for me is ele, and most people say that it's one of the harder professions to learn, so I have to go off what other people have said. I hope that makes sense.

The Charr shall rule!

• Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭

The term easy is sort of a trap. Warrior isn’t really easy, but it is simple (as in the opposite of complex) and straightforward. Which also means it is very limited. Warrior lacks any of the fancier tricks of the other classes, which is particularly noticeable in PvP. Warrior can be hard to play because you have to deal with the more complex classes running circles around you.

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

• moonboi.1764moonboi.1764 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018

Warrior or guardian for melee and necro or ranger for ranged-pets as well for ranger/necro.

• SoulSin.5682SoulSin.5682 Member ✭✭✭

Tell him to check the accessibility options when possible.

For classes, Ranger and Necro as easy to play due to Pets/Minions make everything a breeze.

• Sephylon.4938Sephylon.4938 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think the more important question is: will your college be able to keep up with the visual cluster bomb of gw2? The amount of things that can and will go off at once in any game mode may hinder them them no matter what class they play.

I am a giant tomato filled with love. I have come to sell you a house made out of pancakes.

• @Sephylon.4938 said:
    I think the more important question is: will your college be able to keep up with the visual cluster bomb of gw2? The amount of things that can and will go off at once in any game mode may hinder them them no matter what class they play.

I was wondering the same thing. Also, how well could they see the enemy telegraphing attacks.

As for professions, I think there are a few AOE-based styles that could work well:
    1. Full-minion necro build with staff - the minions do alot of the attacking, don't have precise pet management, and staff AOE marks don't require precise placement.
    2. Marks/Wells necro - leveraging the AOE abilities of staff plus wells means mostly just getting the AOE circles in the general area of the enemies.
    3. Firebrand guardian - the Virtues are AOE, so its pretty easy from a targeting perspective. Downside is that it would take some time to accumulate the hero points to unlock the spec.

• Yeah I know the clutter will be a challenge for him. I think there is a setting to reduce the effect noise. I’ll have to look into that. I don’t spend much time on guard. How complex is the Firebrand rotation?

• Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Daergoth.9415 said:
    Yeah I know the clutter will be a challenge for him. I think there is a setting to reduce the effect noise. I’ll have to look into that. I don’t spend much time on guard. How complex is the Firebrand rotation?

I’d say about medium complexity/difficulty as a lot of function key abilities are involved in addition to weapon and utility skills.

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

• Oogabooga.3812Oogabooga.3812 Member ✭✭✭

"Easy" is a tricky word. It comes down to play style:

Would he like to push one or few buttons, have excellent surviveability and win? Warrior and necromancer.

Have fewer choices of skills than all others to keep it simpler with moderate surviveability? Ranger and Revenant.

Have tons of buttons to push constantly with high surviveability? Firebrand and engineer.

Have tons of buttons that require some exciting play? Elementalist and Mesmer

Does he like to be sneaky with patience and skillful timing? Thief.

• Actually, it all depends. Some general issues with GW2 gameplay features don't lend themselves to accomodating visual impairment, including map details being too small, inability to increase gamma (some areas too dark, increasing inability to see...for someone with impaired visual acuity it can be like being in pitch blackness) makes it really more frustrating than it has to be. Dailies requiring jump puzzles might be more challenging than for most people, as one issue.

"Visual cluster bomb" is more of a sensory processing issue, rather than low vision, however distinguishing one target from another can be more difficult and the targeting AI is poor, as selecting nearest target often does not, nor does it always target the attacking mob and sometimes it doesn't attack the mob you have targeted. Ranged can accidentally target things you didn't mean to target for whatever reason that isn't intuitive and end up pulling more mobs than you can handle.

Melee classes don't have the problem so much of targeting things you don't want to as you can only effect things within short range in the first place, although even primarily melee classes have some ranged weapons.

I think Guardian and Engineers have good survivability even without being well geared or optimally built. I think classes that need to be considered are the basic classes and not expansion-related specializations which are later along in content and play (meaning you have to get to max level first before you can even start using that content).

I myself have impaired vision and haven't found good resources that mesh well with gameplay yet.

• Noha.3749Noha.3749 Member ✭✭✭

Warrior, Guardian, Ranger and Necro are easiest to learn due to not really having any hard mechanics to get used to, got plenty of passive/active defensive stuff.
    They also suffer from being predictable and kited (rangers dont get kited though), its generally quite easy to avoid their damage and stuff.

Their specializations really doesnt change things up alot neither, so if you are good with their core professions its usually a "natural" addition to their already "easy" core.

Dont take "easy" as in always great and without problems or a skillceiling though. Its just overall easier to do decent with and learn.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Noha.3749 said:
    Warrior, Guardian, Ranger and Necro are easiest to learn due to not really having any hard mechanics to get used to, got plenty of passive/active defensive stuff.
    They also suffer from being predictable and kited (rangers dont get kited though), its generally quite easy to avoid their damage and stuff.

Their specializations really doesnt change things up alot neither, so if you are good with their core professions its usually a "natural" addition to their already "easy" core.

Dont take "easy" as in always great and without problems or a skillceiling though. Its just overall easier to do decent with and learn.

Also depends on build. All my characters are easy and I have at least 1 of each class.

• Tails.9372Tails.9372 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2018

@Daergoth.9415 said:
    What is a character that has a fairly simple rotation that would allow them to enjoy the game but still be viable in different game modes?

That depends entirely on how you define "enjoy the game" but in terms of simple rotation dual pistol deadeye probably takes the cake. The only things you need to care about is positioning and initiative management so your rotation looks somewhat like F1 -> 3,3,3,3,3... -> F2 -> 1 -> 3,3,3,3,3... -> F1 -> ... That being said it's a viable choice for everything PvE (although never optimal) but completely unviable for sPvP and WvW.

• Ranger
    Elementalist
    Guardian
    Warrior

I have the same visual issues as your co-worker. Those classes are the ones that work best.

All the losers win in the end.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.