City Portal Tome

Since Halloween is not very far I believe it's the right time to talk about this.Yes, I'm talking about a Tome which would consume City Portal Scrolls, just like the Living World Portal Tomes consume the Portal Scrolls to the new LW areas.We need such a thing because it's the only thing that would motivate anyone to making all 7 scrolls, as why would anyone waste 7 shared inventory slots on them when they will mostly use only 2 or 3? To make it more clear I will point out which cities are most commonly visited:

• 1st place goes to Lion's Arch obviously, not only do most events occure in LA, but it also has portals to all the other towns, WvW, Fractals of the Mists and the Aerodome. Which is why the Portal Scroll to Lion's Arch is the hardest and most expensive to make.
  • 2nd place goes to Divinity's Reach as it's where many other events occure, most notably Wintersday. For some it may even be the 1st choice as the Scroll to DR is much more easy and cheaper to get than the one to LA.
  • 3rd place goes to Rata Sum due to the presence of the Super Adventure Box there
  • 4th place goes to all 3 remaining main race cities: The Grove, Hoelbrak and Black Citadel, as they have no special reason to visit them other than for their appearance
  • And last place goes to Ebonhawke as who want's to go there? The only reason there even is an Essence of Ebonhawke is so there is a 3rd essence for making the Essence of the East

So yes most players won't create all 7 Portal Scrolls, but just 2 or 3 at best as the remaining towns are rarely visited. However if we had a tome that would pack all 7 Portal Scrolls into 1 slot there would be motivation into making them all. The Tome could be sold for Laurel's or Candy Corn Cob's.I think a lot of people will agree it would be a nice idea if such a feature was introduced this years Halloween.

• Like 1

I like this idea, and really hope they do add a way to store/combine them all into one item/slot like the LW portal tomes. If that happened then I would actually make all of the city scrolls.

I have the mistlock pass, but it's not a convenient way to travel to a city unless you are already in it, as otherwise it means an extra loading screen, and even with SSD I'd rather just pay a WP fee to go direct to avoid that.

*also would love a tome for all the vip passes, I'd buy a few others if they could all be combine too.

@Kodokuna Akuma.9570 said:I just use my perm mistlock one, all lounges come with acess to all other cities. ;p

You could if you wanted to be like that say thats why they dont make the tome, to make the lounges more entising shrugs

And you can also use WvW to get back to LA fast, I know all that. That's all the more reason why these Portal Scrolls are less attractive.However this is about getting around as fast as possible no detours required, it's about having more convenience.

I just wish they would remove delete as an option on items in the shared slots and add right click jump to any city as an option on lounge passes. It would save players time and reduce load on the servers a bit. The removal of the delete option on shared slots it to prevent accidental deletion of items there like the lounge and tomes.

I wish they would add a free waypoint once you acquire one of the scrolls so you needn't have to HAVE the stupid thing. I've stopped buying any of them, the convenience is overridden by the hassle by far. At this point I just wp to LA. No clue where my letters and things have gone and I honestly don't care.

I WOULD buy more if it was a wp though. It'd definitely be an immense improvement.

I made a thread suggesting the same thing earlier this year.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/31027/suggestion-portal-tome-for-city-portal-scrolls#latest

I have all 7 city scrolls. 6 of them are currently in shared inventory slots. Any kind of condensing for them would be stellar. Also note the additional QoL improvement for them I suggested (which could just as easily apply to other tomes currently available as well).

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:While on the subject, I'd like to point out that there is no portal item I'm aware of for any of the HoT maps, and there really ought to be something.

There's the Noble's Folly VIP pass which is in VB. And you could use the Exalted Portal Stone to get to AB (though in an instance, so I just WP as it's quicker)

Not a bad idea Rikimaru. Personally I don't think I'd use it, but I can see where others might. Personally I'd rather they create a lounge pass tome. If they did, I'd probably buy a few more passes I don't currently own just for the completionist in me. As things stand now though, I'll just keep using the Mistlock Sanctuary as I don't want to spare the inventory space for other passes.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@phs.6089 said:What has happened to waypoints in your game?

Being a Waypoint Cheapskate is a thing.

That might well be a thing (no idea why or who would be that stingy about a couple of silver), but I would just like a city tome for convenience, as if I'm on a map with different layers, or far away from a city then a couple of double clicks on something in the top row of my inventory would be quicker* than having to switch map layers then scroll across the map to find a city WP, the tomes could charge the same as a WP for all I care.

*at least tomes would be quicker if anet actually fixed it so the dialogue box opened above the inventory instead of hidden behind it.

The purpose of the Season Teleport Scrolls is that, for the most part, the Chapter zones aren't accessible unless you've gone through the story for the chapter on that character. The tombs/scrolls were a way to open them up to all your characters without forcing you to go through the story.

There is no reason to do that with cities, they're easy to access from multiple directions.

tl;dr a city portal tome seems unlikely. Better to ask for a comprehensive solution covering VIP & city portals; more attractive to ANet (to sell multiple VIP passes) and more likely to be worth purchasing by more players.

A city portal tome isn't likely to happen for a couple of reasons. First, the city portal scrolls were made available before VIP lounges were ubiquitous. As with most old things, ANet rarely goes back to retrofit without some compelling other reason.

Second, the cost of the scrolls is already so high as to make them unattractive to others: VIP passes cost around 220-300 gold and include access to mystic forge plus other services, whereas city passes lack the forge and have inconveniently-spaced crafting, even if you can get some at 80 or 150 gold. (The LA pass costs 500-1000g.)

So instead of asking for a city portal tome, ask for a Hub Portal tome that could cover both VIP passes and city scrolls. This would make getting multiple VIP passes more attractive, while giving ANet an excuse to look at including the city passes.

I have city passes and I wouldn't pay 10g to put them in a tome; they have no value to me given the existing VIP lounges. However, I have (and stopped using) some VIP passes and would be willing to pay 800 gems for a chance to (efficiently) keep them all in shared inventory again.

• 2 years later...

They should reconsider this suggestion. When the latest scroll (for the fractal portal from fractal rush) got added ... it reminded me of the season 4 tome that hat the usual map scrolls + the special scroll for sun's refuge. There could be one tome for the major cities that also accepted the fractal gate scroll.

I still think they should create 1 portal tome which can hold all the portals.

The current system puts me off getting even the ones which can go into tomes, because I've still got to find space for the tomes and for them to be useful that most likely means shared inventory slots. If I could put them all into one tome so they don't take up extra space I'd be much more likely to use them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I still think they should create 1 portal tome which can hold all the portals.

The current system puts me off getting even the ones which can go into tomes, because I've still got to find space for the tomes and for them to be useful that most likely means shared inventory slots. If I could put them all into one tome so they don't take up extra space I'd be much more likely to use them.

Yes. A tome of tomes, where each current tome becomes a chapter, seems like a great idea. At 700 gems a pop, I'm not going to buy a shared inventory space just for an extra tome when I can keep them in the bank and swap them at will, but being able to carry around a master portal tome? Yeah... that's worth a shared inventory space for sure.