Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged] - Page 9 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Comments

• @JustTrogdor.7892 said:

Edit: Another update from Chris in the same reddit thread:

Feel free to give the codes (heroic edition or outfit) out to whomever you want! We're only closing the new accounts being created by players who are trying to abuse the promotion to create a bunch of new heroic edition accounts.

Thanks, so grateful to hear that! I was debating giving the game code (if I ever get it) to a friend, good to have it affirmed that that's okay.

• I think twitter is available now. It shows up on my phone. Still getting the errors though.

• I've always been able to try to connect to Twitter, but no luck in actually connecting yet. Sigh.

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:
    It's doing wonders for the popularity of the app. When I looked before the promotion started it was showing just over 10,000 downloads on Google Play, now it's over 50,000 and showing as the number 1 food and drink app and it's still only the first day.

Of course a lot of those people can't go to a store if they wanted to and others won't bother, but I guess it's still good promotion for them.

It may be a popular app but the last I looked on google it had a 1.9 rating out of 5 stars. Not all the bad ratings came from GW2 people either.

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• miraude.2107miraude.2107 Member ✭✭✭

@Izzykins.8624 said:
    I haven't found this mentioned yet but is the "Log in with Facebook" option sufficient to trigger the connected account status? Because it IS showing as the Facebook account being connected on the 'Connect Social Media' accounts tab, but it is not showing me anything special under my profile page.

Yes. When you log in with that, it connects. The next step is just getting the kitten rewards to show up. That's the part I'm currently stuck on now.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@calb.3128 said:

@icecreamedhotdog.3607 said:
    very disappointed that the kung fu tea promos are only if you have a smartphone or such to download an app,and if you are on any social media.anet,there are players that for various reasons do not have smartphones or social media.very disappointed this is targeted for a select group/area

Oh come on, that's really clutching at straws. The promo is accessible to players who use either of the two most popular mobile operating systems (whether that is on a smartphone or run on a tablet) and requires one of a choice of the most popular social media platforms available. Smartphones and/or tablets are used by a high proportion of the gamer demographic, as are at least one of the required social media platforms. I accept there are very valid reasons for people not wanting to use social media - I rarely do - and likewise for not wanting to link their account to share the information. Your data has a price, and if you choose not to give it in exchange for these items, that's your call. But to claim that ANet are deliberately excluding players from this promotion is way off the mark. It's very much up to the user whether they want to take part based on those personal choices.

(The KFT sweepstake element is geographically bound, but that is for legal reasons. Disclosure: EU player.)

There are android emulators around.

Not related but this also answers a question I had for a week or so. "How is this guy streaming a mobile game?" The emulator looks useful for that.

• @miraude.2107 said:
    Yes. When you log in with that, it connects. The next step is just getting the kitten rewards to show up. That's the part I'm currently stuck on now.

I logged in with facebook without making an account and that did not link the app to facebook. The app knew my name (because I logged in using Facebook) but when going to the profile where you can link your account with social media, facebook was NOT linked. It took more than a day until it finally linked instead of saying "something is wrong", and there is no reward showing up still, half a day later.

YouTube “L2villagejester”.
    People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
    Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

• Is anyone else having an issue where the rewards have shown up, but trying to claim it crashes the app?

• Lost Dimension.9014Lost Dimension.9014 Member ✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018

I think I just lost my chance on getting the code entirely -.-. I manage to see the gw2 rewards and tap it, but its not displaying the code, it gave me 1 minute to retrieve the code but there was no code being displayed, so I can't write it down or screenshot it. All I am seeing now is the guild wars 2 deluxe edition rewards :(

Edit: It says I have messages but it just shows "You have no messages right now.."
    Edit 2: Back to square one. Somehow it got unlinked, oh well. I'll just give up for now and wait for few more days....

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:

@phs.6089 said:
    Let me get this strait. Guild wars 2 Heroic Edition gives access to the game's full mode? Meanig farmers are now got a dozen accs for free to farm laurels?

No, there is a daily sweepstakes allowing people the chance to win a copy. It's one copy a day though.

No. The heroic edition is given along with the costume code. The deluxe edition is a part of the sweepstakes.

Edit: deluxe, not collectors

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201862758-Game-Versions-and-Digital-Items

Wow, so they're giving away their game? To anyone who links some social media account to some other company's app?

That's... baffling to me.

Well it’s just the core game which is already free. All this does is remove the restrictions which were more of a nuisance. Those trying to amass multiple accounts this way are getting them deleted by Anet which is great.

• Yamazuki.6073Yamazuki.6073 Member ✭✭✭

@icecreamedhotdog.3607 said:
    very disappointed that the kung fu tea promos are only if you have a smartphone or such to download an app,and if you are on any social media.anet,there are players that for various reasons do not have smartphones or social media.very disappointed this is targeted for a select group/area

You can emulate android on your PC, and create a fake Instragram/Twitter account. I only use Twitter/Instagram with a throw away e-mail account purely for this sort of thing, and never link my Amazon/Google/my rarely used FB account to things.

Also, the amount of Westerners [specficially Americans since it's a US promo] with no smart phone are a minority, even more so when you only consider gamers.

• Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

So whats the rewards?

• @Sapphire Artemis.3062 said:
    Is anyone else having an issue where the rewards have shown up, but trying to claim it crashes the app?

I'm having this issue too

• I’ve managed to log in on Instagram but still says zero rewards.

App is somewhat...... buggy,

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• @JustTrogdor.7892 said:
    Update from Chris Cleary on accounts that have been banned for using the promotion code for the Heroic Edition:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/9ce157/kung_fu_tea_promotion_is_banning_accounts/e5ahhgh/

To my knowledge, we are only closing the newly created promotion heroic edition accounts created by those that are heavily abusing the promotion to do so.

This is kinda messed up. To my knowledge there is no rule against creating tons of new accounts, also there is not a single rule that forbids you from taking part in that promotion multiple times, hell some people even got multiple codes for just signing up once. Also what does "heavily abuse" mean?

• @Deimos.4263 said:
    This is one of the few items that have been completely unobtainable for the past 6 years, so everyone is jumping on it like crazy. Kind of a shame how poorly it played out. Of course people are upset. Anet just send us all the code and we'll promise to go chug some bubble tea.

Yeah, i'll buy the very first next Concorde flight ticket. From France to New-York to drink some KFT, as soon as i'll have this outfit. XD

@Sapphire Artemis.3062 said:
    Is anyone else having an issue where the rewards have shown up, but trying to claim it crashes the app?

Stuck at the same step. I keep trying. Waiting for this to be fixed. (or for bots to stop over clicking)

• Sealbit.7961Sealbit.7961 Member
    edited September 3, 2018

@kokiman.2364 said:

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:
    Update from Chris Cleary on accounts that have been banned for using the promotion code for the Heroic Edition:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/9ce157/kung_fu_tea_promotion_is_banning_accounts/e5ahhgh/

To my knowledge, we are only closing the newly created promotion heroic edition accounts created by those that are heavily abusing the promotion to do so.

This is kinda messed up. To my knowledge there is no rule against creating tons of new accounts, also there is not a single rule that forbids you from taking part in that promotion multiple times, hell some people even got multiple codes for just signing up once. Also what does "heavily abuse" mean?

Exactly this. People are up in arms over how unfair the whole thing is with some being able to get one or more of the codes while others can't. Is it unfair? Very. But how does this constitute an abuse? You'd assume the average person WILL take the extra codes if he/she discovers that it is possible to do so, whether intentionally or otherwise. That's why things get tested before release, to prevent these loopholes from happening.

There is no rule against having multiple accounts, as many people do. Being able to obtain it (multiples, even) for free via a promotion should not invalidate that.

I fail to see how people who used or signed up for multiple social media accounts and/or got multiple codes out of one account broke any rule. Like I said, unfair, but not illegal. How do you even determine if someone who used the accounts of their family members to get multiple codes to be abusing the system? Are their family members not allowed to play the game? All the arguments about bots, people getting free accounts for login rewards & crashing the economy does not negate the fact that these people got the account following contest rules, and to my knowledge, there wasn't any rule limiting the entry to one per person / mobile / IP or whatnot.

The whole banning of accounts that we hear of in increasing frequency is just a knee-jerk reaction to a poorly-thought out promotion. Please take time to think things through.

• Jojo.6140Jojo.6140 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018

@Sealbit.7961 said:
    Exactly this. People are up in arms over how unfair the whole thing is with some being able to get one or more of the codes while others can't. Is it unfair? Very. But how does this constitute an abuse? You'd assume the average person WILL take the extra codes if he/she discovers that it is possible to do so, whether intentionally or otherwise. That's why things get tested before release, to prevent these loopholes from happening.

There is no rule against having multiple accounts, as many people do. Being able to obtain it (multiples, even) for free via a promotion should not invalidate that.

I fail to see how people who used or signed up for multiple social media accounts and/or got multiple codes out of one account broke any rule. Like I said, unfair, but not illegal. How do you even determine if someone who used the accounts of their family members to get multiple codes to be abusing the system? Are their family members not allowed to play the game? All the arguments about bots, people getting free accounts for login rewards & crashing the economy does negate the fact that these people got the account following contest rules, and to my knowledge, there wasn't any rule limiting the entry to one per person / mobile / IP or whatnot.

The whole banning of accounts that we hear of in increasing frequency is just a knee-jerk reaction to a poorly-thought out promotion. Please take time to think things through.

First of all, there is no harm in banning those accounts, since they have just been created via the promotion-codes and no time or money has been invested into them.

And second, what did you expect? If some people could theoretically redeem hundreds of alt-accounts for login-rewards, then those must be shut down to prevent an underserved amassing of ingame-currency. We are talking about people abusing it, meaning they made several new accounts. I doubt they ban single new accounts, so if you are an honest person and just got one code you are fine. Overly greedy people can get what they deserve...

• Reith X.7962Reith X.7962 Member
    edited September 3, 2018

I have no option to link up my twitter with the kung fu app, and their web site says it's not working properly. I just started GW2 about 2 months ago and it's been a bug fest. I might have to move back to WoW myself.

Being new I have no one to email me the code either. What gives with this?

• @Jojo.6140 said:
    First of all, there is no harm in banning those accounts, since they have just been created via the promotion-codes and no time or money has been invested into them.

Yes there is, people have spent time to create those gw2/facebook/instagram accounts to get those codes.

@Jojo.6140 said:
    And second, what did you expect? If some people could theoretically redeem hundreds of alt-accounts for login-rewards, then those must be shut down to prevent an underserved amassing of ingame-currency. We are talking about people abusing it, meaning they made several new accounts. I doubt they ban single new accounts, so if you are an honest person and just got one code you are fine. Overly greedy people can get what they deserve...

Any reasonable person would have expected that A.Net thought all of this through when they came up with the idea. I mean this idea had to go by multiple people who all saw no problem in giving away f2p upgrade codes by just linking a social media account to an app. I'm kinda shocked that seemingly no one said "this might be a bad idea and will cost us a lot of man power when we have to manually ban accounts and have to deal with the support aftermath after that"

• @Jojo.6140 said:

There is harm to people who legitimately want to play.

So what is the definition or threshold for abuse though. "Hundreds of accounts"? 50? 5? 2? What if a person paid for the accounts? And if a person has "hundreds of alt-accounts for login-rewards", then they deserve a banhammer? What logic is this? Is greed a bannable offense?

• I want a code just for the outfit for my human female meta but after reading that people a getting banned because of this, even 6yo account, kitten this kitten.

• Junk promotion TBH.

• It looks like they're going to try and fix it which is good! https://prnt.sc/kpxnhp The event will last until the end of the month so I'm sure it'll be fixed by then, if for some reason it isn't then they'll probably extend it. (There's the link to the GW2 thing). https://www.kungfutea.com/blog/2018/8/31/guildwars2sweepstakes

• I don't even want the outfit anymore. This has been a joke. It was a poorly thought out promotion by Anet. I am sorry for Kung Fu Tea - it's good there is one near me. Someone (Anet) should have known that a kitten storm would happen if there were problems.

• What are the rewards anyway? I see people say outfit ? If it's some new outfit I'll be fuming ... because I don't use FB or any other social media first of all, 2nd - people are getting banned, Chris said only new accounts got banned for abusing the promotion but I've seen even older accounts getting banned and I'm not risking my acc of 6 years, 13k hours and almost 37k achievs... hell no. .. and 3rd, even if it was safe and I used social media, there's no Kung Fu Tea in my country, so like... you know..... this is ridiculous.

STOP TELLING ME I'M NOT FORCED TO DO SOMETHING - I AM AN AP HUNTER SO YES, I HAVE TO DO IT
    ....AND GIVE HAIRSTYLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• @MetalGirl.2370 said:
    What are the rewards anyway? I see people say outfit ? If it's some new outfit I'll be fuming ... because I don't use FB or any other social media first of all, 2nd - people are getting banned, Chris said only new accounts got banned for abusing the promotion but I've seen even older accounts getting banned and I'm not risking my acc of 6 years, 13k hours and almost 37k achievs... hell no. .. and 3rd, even if it was safe and I used social media, there's no Kung Fu Tea in my country, so like... you know..... this is ridiculous.

Read the actual promotion, the Reddit posts and the comments here. Your account is not at risk. It is an "outfit" (a tee shirt - pre outfits) that was offered during beta. Some got it some didn't. There was not a kitten storm then and there should not be one now. The only accounts that are at risk are the ones where people entered multiple codes for game accounts.

• MetalGirl.2370MetalGirl.2370 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018

@Mordule Standish.2371 - "It is an "outfit" (a tee shirt - pre outfits) that was offered during beta"

So how is it fair to people who pre ordered the game which they paid for ... and now people get it just by linking their accounts...insane.
    If they made it ingame reward, it'd be more deserving

STOP TELLING ME I'M NOT FORCED TO DO SOMETHING - I AM AN AP HUNTER SO YES, I HAVE TO DO IT
    ....AND GIVE HAIRSTYLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Raizel.8175Raizel.8175 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MetalGirl.2370 said:
    @Mordule Standish.2371 - "It is an "outfit" (a tee shirt - pre outfits) that was offered during beta"

So how is it fair to people who pre ordered the game which they paid for ... and now people get it just by linking their accounts...insane.

It was not an outfit you got 6 years ago. It was a gimmick (tonic) you could only realistically use in towns, hence the name town clothes. Gimmicks are kinda ok to give away as exclusives, but when they turned these into actual outfits, that changed, didn't it? :p

...and it's probably still not working for the majority of the people. I mean, I'm trying this kitten for the third day now without success. That kinda sucks.

• Ubi.4136Ubi.4136 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

You got the item free during a promotional event. IF people can actually get this one to work, they will get it free...from a promotional event. You did NOT pay for the costume. You got it as part of a promotion...for the game (like the one they are running now). The game used to cost money, but they went to a free to play model to make the game healthier. The game is currently free, so getting a copy of the game for free during this promotional event is nothing but more or the status quo.

People seriously worry too much about pixels. How about everyone focus less on "I don't want other people to have a pixel" and more on "I hope this makes the game population healthier".

Lost in the Maguuma (TC)
    For the geographically challenged, yes, Tarnished Coast is located IN the Maguuma Jungle.

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ubi.4136 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

You got the item free during a promotional event. IF people can actually get this one to work, they will get it free...from a promotional event. You did NOT pay for the costume. You got it as part of a promotion...for the game (like the one they are running now). The game used to cost money, but they went to a free to play model to make the game healthier. The game is currently free, so getting a copy of the game for free during this promotional event is nothing but more or the status quo.

People seriously worry too much about pixels. How about everyone focus less on "I don't want other people to have a pixel" and more on "I hope this makes the game population healthier".

But but but, prestiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigeeee.

Better get a wriggle on.

• It was not an outfit you got 6 years ago. It was a gimmick (tonic) you could only realistically use in towns, hence the name town clothes. Gimmicks are kinda ok to give away as exclusives, but when they turned these into actual outfits, that changed, didn't it? :p

...and it's probably still not working for the majority of the people. I mean, I'm trying this kitten for the third day now without success. That kinda sucks.

It was before town clothing became tonics. I still have my GW2 baseball cap. It is an actual headpiece. You could switch between town clothes and armor pre wardwrobe. True that you could only use them in towns. I wish I had a screenshot of the old hero panel. A lot has changed.

• Raizel.8175Raizel.8175 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

But but but, prestiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigeeee.

Well, yeah...

PvP-leaderboard-titles are prestige, this here is just pure luck and that's what many people don't understand. x'D

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

It wasn't a pre-order bonus or anything to do with the betas. It was given away in promotions a lot like this one: go to a convention where Anet was giving away codes, get one from a partner site or buy it from eBay.

So it was always free/sold by people who got them free and never available in-game or anything to do with when your account was created or what type of account you had. All they've changed is they're doing it again.

"Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

• Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018

@Mordule Standish.2371 said:

It was not an outfit you got 6 years ago. It was a gimmick (tonic) you could only realistically use in towns, hence the name town clothes. Gimmicks are kinda ok to give away as exclusives, but when they turned these into actual outfits, that changed, didn't it? :p

It was before town clothing became tonics. I still have my GW2 baseball cap. It is an actual headpiece. You could switch between town clothes and armor pre wardwrobe. True that you could only use them in towns. I wish I had a screenshot of the old hero panel. A lot has changed.

Actually, no, you could switch to town clothes anywhere (to e.g. facilitate tavern RP in Shaemoor) and there was even a keybind slot for the switch but you would get bounced out of it back into your normal armour if you entered combat (by taking damage). (Yes, I was there when the game opened in 2012. I amused myself on one occasion by attending the party at Minister Wi's house in my wife's character's PS instance and going around exploring the instance but dressed in the basic "Common Clothing" town clothes instead of level 10-ish heavy armour.)

EDIT: and yes, I still have baseball cap armour-skin objects in one or two of my characters' inventories ready to apply to a helmet. I think all of my characters still carry a Hero's Band ring, an unused two-week Golem Banker token, and an Eye of the North access stone, apart from a handful who have (accidentally) used the Golem Banker token.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• @MetalGirl.2370 said:
    What are the rewards anyway? I see people say outfit ?

See my post about half-way down page 8 of this thread for a picture. The T-shirt is white, but changes in apparent colour according to the lighting conditions.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Rococo.8347 said:

@Mea.5491 said:
    After many hours of trying, I finally got the codes with Bluestacks, free mobile app emulator for PC because my phone is old and my Android version is not compatible with this app lol. So anyone without a proper smartphone should get Bluestacks but patience is required to actually get the codes. Good luck! :)

Well ive been using Bluestacks since yesterday and I cant even link my Instagram let alone move on to the next stage - I think you just got very lucky...

Not lucky, more like patient. :astonished: I was refreshing and restarting the app for 4 hours then it randomly worked and I got the code. I only managed to link my FB, I got error when I tried Instagram. In FB's case, deleting the Tea app from FB and from Bluestacks and then reinstalling it let me link FB after a few tries (not sure about Instagram and Twitter because it never let me link them). This is not an issue with Bluestacks, it's happening to smartphone users as well.

• titje.2745titje.2745 Member ✭✭✭

the app asks you to save the instagram account info. when i touched (touchscreen) on save data it failed every time. when i choose to not save the account info i had more luck. i mean i once got the codes when data not saved. i used iphone for this. don’t know if it makes difference.

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

I gotta say after two days trying to get the app to accept my facebook login..this is just..wow ;-;

I know its not anets fault but holy kitten the App is just awful.

Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

• Absconditus.6804Absconditus.6804 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018

At this point the app should just start saying the following on the first screen it presents upon opening it;

Hey cutie,

Sorry
    Something went wrong. Please
    try again later.

xoxo,
    KFT

Seafarer's Rest | Enryon | Mistwarden [Hero]

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sealbit.7961 said:

Yes, I had someone ask me yesterday why I had a second account. The only response I could think of was 'why not?'.

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• LuckySpells.6278LuckySpells.6278 Member
    edited September 3, 2018

App finally worked today, but it gave 3 sets of codes instead of 1. None of the codes worked (only tried the shirt codes since I've got a full acct).

Looks like codes are disabled today, and the tea place gets our data, while we risk getting banned if we try for a working code after they've given out broken ones. :/

Edit - Success, sort-of:
    I tried the broken codes again an hour later 'cause why not' (had screenshotted them lest they disappear).. The middle of the 3 worked for the shirt! Yay, i guess. I'm deathly afraid to even try the Heroic edition codes to get the armor skin and 18 slot chest on a 5 yr old acct.. especially since my wife and brother game on the same computer. Everyone would be livid to be banned over a stupid shirt. We're treating any Heroic edition codes as toxic until proven otherwise, ymmv.

• Many of you who browse the GW2 Reddit have probably seen a few posts where players report their accounts banned after using the Heroic Edition promo codes. Chris Cleary already answered some questions back there, but I still have a few concerns I want to be absolutely sure about before doing anything that could put my account(s) in jeopardy.

If I get a promotion code for the Heroic Edition, is it okay to use it on a newly-created F2P alt account?

Chris Cleary wrote on Reddit: "We're only closing the new accounts being created by players who are trying to abuse the promotion to create a bunch of new heroic edition accounts." As far as I can tell from his response, creating ONE heroic edition alt account should be alright. "Bunch" isn't exactly a very precise number though, so I'd like to know whether it's actually okay or not. Yes, I would be using this new account to transfer daily login gains to my main one, among other things.

If, like some players, I get multiple codes, does it count as promotion abuse if I only use one code for myself and gift away the rest?

Chris also said this: "To my knowledge, we are only closing the newly created promotion heroic edition accounts created by those that are heavily abusing the promotion to do so."
    So if I happen to get multiple codes via a bug, does that count as abusing the promotion? I understand banning those who create multiple core accounts for their personal use and gain, but what if I only upgrade my one alt account and give away the rest of the codes? Again, this doesn't sound like a bannable offense to me, but I want to be absolutely sure.

And finally; If I buy an expansion for an alt account or accounts, is it okay to transfer log-in or whatever gains from those accounts to my main one?

I'm not 100% sure what the ToS says about this, if anything at all. I think I should be able to do whatever I want with the accounts I have purchased (within the ToS of course), but would like a response to this as well. I'm not intending to crash the in-game economy, just asking out of curiosity.

Thanks for any responses that might clarify this situation.

• The app's social rewards don't work at all, doesn't even save my log in information so I can spam connect to try to connect. Facebook and Instagram don't work for me. Hitting DONT save my log in info for Instagram only OPENS MY INSTAGRAM FEED IN THE APP???
    And to top it off, I went to buy the drink but they didn't even have it in stock yet the promotion was right in my face at the store. The employees also didn't know when they would have it, so congulations to gw2 and Kung Fu tea for the biggest promotion flop. I have yet to see any response from aanet and Kung Fu tea except 'the promotion is delayed' on kungfu teas website. Couldn't they AT LEAST have the product they're trying to sell?? I'm not in a small town that could be forgotten about in their supply route or something.
    Could anyone else not get the drink, I haven't seen someone mention that and would like to know if it really is county wide or just my town.

• Edgy McEdgelord.4790Edgy McEdgelord.4790 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:
    And finally; If I buy an expansion for an alt account or accounts, is it okay to transfer log-in or whatever gains from those accounts to my main one?

People have been doing this for ages by now. Up until now they had to purchase an account upgrade for that, now you can get one for free. Unless ANet wants to look really hypocritical they cannot really change their approach to this all of a sudden.

Oh did I hurt your precious feelings? My deepest apologies.

• I'm still just baffled by the idea of protecting the game ecosystem through this promotion. If the main barrier to abuse is having to pay for the full game code and register it under a valid name, why hand out the codes without charging? A bunch of players don't feel good that they paid for an account upgrade that's now just free if you can beat this poor app's front door down at just the right time, then do it all over again on some alt email address and FB account. And along the lines of players being upset that others can get the outfit they got six years ago.. well, there's a bunch of folks saying they got it "free" as part of a promotion. Didn't lots get it for pre-ordering? A pre-order/pre-registration is essentially a deposit or promise to pay in most cases. You wouldn't have gotten it in game if you didn't pay the balance of your game when it released. So maybe they did in essence pay for that exclusive outfit. But back to the accounts thing.

How do you not expect that people will make a bunch of facebook/instagram accounts just to get multiple, free upgraded accounts? There's the point of this being exploitable and then players being surprised when that account is penalized for exploiting the exploit. I know many won't like to hear it, but the whole 'but they left the exploit there and I took advantage thats not my fault it's theirs' has never stopped Anet before. "Free-Paid" Accounts was just a bad idea from the get-go without major, CLEAR restrictions in place beforehand.

I have no doubt there's been some mistakes in filtering it all out. I'm not sure it's even completely on Anet, I imagine they simply handed over the codes with some basic rules and told KFT they are in charge of the distribution, while the company was in charge of validation. And COMPLETELY agree - if Anet or KFT came out and said something like, "It wasn't out intention to let players claim more than one account code/outfit PER PERSON" - that'd be major. And frankly, that should have been out there from the very beginning. Restrictions Apply - something like that should have been a no brainer here, like a gigantic link so registrants could click and know exactly what to expect. Not that many would have read it, but still.

• @Hevoskuuri.3891 said:
    If, like some players, I get multiple codes, does it count as promotion abuse if I only use one code for myself and gift away the rest?

Chris also said this: "To my knowledge, we are only closing the newly created promotion heroic edition accounts created by those that are heavily abusing the promotion to do so."
    So if I happen to get multiple codes via a bug, does that count as abusing the promotion? I understand banning those who create multiple core accounts for their personal use and gain, but what if I only upgrade my one alt account and give away the rest of the codes? Again, this doesn't sound like a bannable offense to me, but I want to be absolutely sure.

There have been account of players who redeemed multiple codes (e.g. via different FB accounts) but it may not be as straight forward because each FB account was used to redeem exactly one code. Even if detected, it will be difficult to prove that these codes are being abused by one single person wanting multiple accounts vs. him/her actually giving it to, say, a family member or partner living in the same house.

Same for those who bugged out with the app giving out more than one code... would love to have one myself :P

I don't think transferring login rewards is an issue... this is a common practice and is accepted in GW2. People have been doing it for years.

• @Jimbru.6014 said:

@Alga.6498 said:
    This whole thing feels like a bad F2P game with bad partnerships with "free rewards!11". Gotta love whoever had this brilliant idea to make ANet look bad.

Actually, it makes Kung Fu Tea look bad much more than Anet. Anet isn't the one paralyzed by the demand. In fact, the Anet devs are probably looking at this and looking at KFT and thinking, "Man, there but for the grace of Zinn we go." I can only imagine the awkward conversation in KFT's board room this coming Tuesday morning; it will probably start with a question from the CEO to their marketing and IT heads...

"So tell me: when you came up with this idea to promote our brand by linking us with Guild Wars 2, did it ever occur to you that Guild Wars 2 has millions of players all over the world, and how many of those players would be trying to log into our tiny hamster wheel app over the long weekend?"

Seriously, "We didn't anticipate the demand" is the absolute worst excuse for internet failures. This isn't on Anet; it's on KFT for not being prepared for what they were getting into.

Yeah, that's not how it works though. Anet should have done due diligence with who they partner with. It makes them look bad that they didn't look to see if mom and pop tea, inc could handle the likely landrush of people flocking to the app. And you are so right that "We didn't anticipate the demand" for something like this is a terrible excuse, but that falls to Anet as well as the tea company. Imagine if McDonalds used some startup business run out of a garage to do their world wide promotions. I would think most people would blame McD's as much or more for not doing due diligence in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.