Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

I was plagued with this problem too. Tried 5 times to complete Victory or Death. Something I read in one of the forums got me thinking and I changed one setting that seems to have helped. I'm not going to guarantee it will work and requires more testing to be confident... but I was able to complete 2 story quests where I'd disconnected repeatedly and my wife also finished one she'd tried 3 times.

Options > General > Streaming > Content Streaming >> change to "On Demand"

The setting was set to 'Idle'. Something someone said in a forum post regarding the disconnects seeming to come during transitions from cutscene to non-cutscene made me think that perhaps the game was trying to get some piece of content and since the download setting was set to Idle, it was waiting for the connection to be Idle. After waiting a period of time, it failed out the download which caused it to lose the instance. By setting it to On Demand, it allows the game to download that content when needed. This is totally just a theory, but has been working for me so far. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Exactly. I am in the same boat as you OP. Throughout the entire gameplay, since I first started playing GW2, I never once got disconnected from the server while on the open world field. Doesn't matter if there were a lot of players on at the same time or a lot of stuff going on my screen, disconnects never happens during the open world. I will give Anet a huge A+ on this part, really high-quality stable connection. What I will give Anet a huge F is the low-quality connectivity inside the storyline instances, especially the long ones like 'Hearts and Minds' and 'The Departing'.

This happened to me twice in a row in Victory and Death right after defeating the Mouth of Zhaitan. The problem seems related to cinematics as the first time it happened the movie reel appeared over the toon's head and I couldn't do any action, after a second or two it disconnected me. The next time, same thing, except it did start to play the cinematic after the defeat of the Mouth, but then stopped and left the movie reel icon over my head. I tried submitting bug reports but it disconnected me before I could submit it in that game state with the screenshot. I was forced to wait and submit it after logging back in but that wouldn't have any information attached. It is a lot of content/battles to have to go through again not knowing whether I will ever progress past that step.

This has happened reliably to me this entire. Year.
This time I was redoing a story mission in HoT. I was going for an achievement solo. I was in the middle of a fight with some trash mobs. I am getting angrier and angrier. I enjoy this game, but this nonsense is pushing me away rather steadily.I see no reason that if our characters' mastery, achievements, and loot get saved why our progress shouldn't be saved.You try being a mediocre player just trying to have fun and enjoy a story when a half an hour solo boss fight ends in a disconnect.Because if you join a group everyone's flying through it. I cannot enjoy the content I pay for.

Been trying the "To Kill a God" mission for 2 months now. I lose connection at the same point EVERY TIME. Just as I defeat Balthazar, it goes to the cut scene then goes black, with a disconnection notice. I have done this part of the story 5 times... I thought for sure after the first few times if I gave anet some time they would for sure fix the issue. Months later, same thing. HALP!

Happened again during "Frozen Out." This time after the cutscene at the very end. Because I'm forced to listen to Braham and the commander yap after the boss is dead, I never receive credit for the mission. Now I get to do it again and listen to Braham's fantastic dialogue. When do we get to kill Braham? Soon I hope.

Had this again playing Living World 2 storyline, Echoes of the Past. Was trying to finish the quest but had the Connection Lost error before starting very last boss. Now have to play all over again. All prior missions in LW2 were great, I did get a lost connection at the end of Dragons Reach 2 but it appears the game completed as I received the credit, could it be that the devs may have put some fixes in place?

@"Jeffrey Vaughn.1793" said:We have folks investigating this issue, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce it. We're trying to determine what the commonality is between players that run into this issue. If you haven't already, please submit a bug when it happens so we can get more data points.

I've been told that Anet is telling people to use a VPN as a workaround for these disconnects; mine happens after Joko's taunting at the end of the story chapter "The Departing". Being as how this is-to my knowledge-an unsubstantiated rumor, can you:

1) Clarify that as of right now, this is one of Anet's possible solutions

2) State which particular 3rd party solution i.e. VPN Anet is saying we need to use to operate GW2?

3) If, as I've been told this is a true statement, what support and guarantees does Anet provide for this 3rd party fix (I would assume that Anet would assume responsibility for any 3rd party program which is not listed in the system requirements to run the game) should we continue to not only experiencing in-game issues but general issues with this speculative VPN?

I thought to use Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 to capture packets during my run of The Departing. I didn't have any crashes (never had the issue), but I was able to isolate all packets related to the instance via the IP. I'd love to know if packet capture would be useful for arenanet in troubleshooting this problem, but at the same time I'm unable to filter out other network traffic from the .cap file. It's a privacy concern, for one, and two, arenanet doesn't need to see my network traffic for steam or outlook, to name a few.

UPDATE

I tried to use the "keep moving/spam abilities" work around during post-EoS Joko dialogue and was able to exit the Mists. Bear in mind, I only tried this once because as I was coming back to life and Rytlock was talking, I got booted back to tue character select screen. I have not yet been able to try again.

Perhaps I'll be able to duplicate (and succeed?) this evening after work.

I'm not technical genius (if I can turn on a computer without it blowing up, that's a success in my book) but based on my experience with this issue and reading about other player experiences, I wonder if it's not somehow related to the logout due to inactivity feature. Which leads me to ask:

1) Is there a way to turn off this feature or extend that period before auto-logout?2) I know it's a longshot but is there a way we may be able to skip the cutscenes where we are unable to interact (move/spam abilities) thus possibly preventing the "auto-logout"?

@Taygus.4571 said:

@"Robj.6815" said:2) we are unable to interact (move/spam abilities) thus possibly preventing the "auto-logout"?

Btw, just making sure, that you are still pressing your attack/jump button during movie scenes.

Cause even tho you're unable to move it seems to keep the connection.

I just got through it. I took the precaution of putting my settings on low and actually spammed moving left and right as well as my jump button. Ironically, that seemed to almost skip the last cutscene where Rytlock os talking over your dead body. Thank all the kittens in Tyria I got through.

Onwards and upwards...or southwards to The Desolation!

It's about enough to make me quit. These story missions are not very fun and having to repeat them is annoying. After the last conversation the camera pulls back to 3rd person, my character has the movie reel icon over his head as if I'm watching a cut scene, then the lost connection error and I have to do the entire mission over. Its happen multiple times now.

I just read your Known Issues and I see:

Client: Players may experience game disconnects during/after story cutscenes, blocking progress in various story chapters.

And i see that it is in the state of: Verifying

How long does that take because this has been a problem for well over a year.

I made the change on Content Streaming in my Options as suggested above from "Idle" to "On Demand." Was able to fight Balthazar a 3rd time, and complete the following cinematic without issue. Don't know if this was just by luck, or this change made the difference, but it couldn't hurt to do it anyways rather than fight him over and over again if it does help.

My wife and I have experienced a consistent crash during the LWS4 E3 where we are fighting Beastmaster Eronco (sp?). For the last 4 characters, sometime during the fight we disconnect, have to go to desktop and restart the client to restart the fight. This happens with the Joko fight as well but slightly less consistently.