[Suggestion] Stop making Story Bosses Hard (LS4 Spoilers)

@Einsof.1457 said:

@Einsof.1457 said:You are joking, right? It is literally impossible to lose in the story.

For you perhaps. Many many players have problems with the story, and do find it difficult.

The story fights are literally designed to be impossible to actually lose... So what game are you playing?

Although technically you're unable to lose the fights, continuously dying and ressing over and over again till the boss is finally dead isn't exactly enjoyable either. And not losing isn't the same as winning either in that respect. People get no satisfaction out of it this way and it makes the game less fun to play. Hence their request.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Einsof.1457 said:You are joking, right? It is literally impossible to lose in the story.

For you perhaps. Many many players have problems with the story, and do find it difficult.

The story fights are literally designed to be impossible to actually lose... So what game are you playing?

Although technically you're unable to lose the fights, continuously dying and ressing over and over again till the boss is finally dead isn't exactly enjoyable either. And not losing isn't the same as winning either in that respect. People get no satisfaction out of it this way and it makes the game less fun to play. Hence their request.

So the main request in this topic is to have death cause encounter reset? I'm in agreement then.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Honestly if LOADS of players can do it, the problem isn't with the content.We don't know the statistics. I could also be true that LOADS of players can't or don't choose to do this content for the reason of the difficulty they have with it.

Actually we do. If most of the players were having trouble finishing the content then future releases would have easier story bosses.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Honestly if LOADS of players can do it, the problem isn't with the content.We don't know the statistics. I could also be true that LOADS of players can't or don't choose to do this content for the reason of the difficulty they have with it.

If the story was really challenging then the LFG for Living story section would ber filled with lfg group requests.

@Einsof.1457 said:

So the main request in this topic is to have death cause encounter reset? I'm in agreement then.

That would be a definite non sequitur.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

Then help me understand what the point of this topic is. Please. Story events in game are literally impossible to fail... And people think it's too hard? Am I getting this right?

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Einsof.1457 said:Then help me understand what the point of this topic is. Please. Events in game are literally impossible to fail... And people think it's too hard? Am I getting this right?

The topic is about story bosses not random open world event bosses.

I understand that. I am referring to story. I'm completely caught up and all story bosses outside of mord offer infinite ressurections at no loss of progress. How much easier can it get? How is this even a discussion. Any easier and you wouldn't even be playing. Does OP want just cutscenes as story and remove the game part from the game? What's the deal

@"maddoctor.2738" said:The correct way to approach an encounter you find challenging is to ask for advice on how to beat it, either in-game, on these forums, reddit, or search youtube. Defeating story bosses isn't rocket science.

Yet, what we see is someone having trouble with an encounter and instead of asking advice on how to beat it, they make threads like this asking for nerfs instead. This mentality of "I can't do it, so it's obviously over-tuned and needs a nerf" is what ruins games.

I remember that thread where someone was complaining that the first story instance in Path of Fire is too hard for them. Turned out they were using Signets as utility but used Shout traits, even though they had no actual Shouts. To further complicate matters, not every build, or even entire profession, is well balanced around story instances. A Weaver is much harder to play in those than a Dragon-hunter.

Instead of going "I can't beat it, it's too hard", being more specific "I have trouble beating Scruffy 2.0 on my Holosmith, please advice" will result in better feedback. Honestly if LOADS of players can do it, the problem isn't with the content.

So well said. :+1:

@Einsof.1457 said:

Then help me understand what the point of this topic is. Please. Story events in game are literally impossible to fail... And people think it's too hard? Am I getting this right?

People think it's too hard because they die a lot trying to get to the end of the fight and they don't enjoy this. I personally do not find the fights too hard but I know that many people do and this would be the reason. They may be able to finish the fight, but it's a bit of an empty victory if you died 20 times or more getting there. It's not enjoyable for them. I think that's the point.

So I would say that the issue is that these bosses are not as such too hard to beat, but that they are too hard for them to enjoy the fights. And people who tell them to git gud, clearly have zero idea about how different people's abilities and interest can be. That answer doesn't work for a lot of people.

But ask them. I am open to their plight but I do not find the fights too hard myself. Too boring yes, but not too hard.

@Einsof.1457 said:

@Einsof.1457 said:Then help me understand what the point of this topic is. Please. Events in game are literally impossible to fail... And people think it's too hard? Am I getting this right?

The topic is about story bosses not random open world event bosses.

I understand that. I am referring to story. I'm completely caught up and all story bosses outside of mord offer infinite ressurections at no loss of progress. How much easier can it get? How is this even a discussion. Any easier and you wouldn't even be playing. Does OP want just cutscenes as story and remove the game part from the game? What's the deal

As @"Gehenna.3625" said it's not about beating the fights, because everyone WILL beat them eventually, but about having no fun getting killed 20 times before beating the encounter.

You can find my own take on that here:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/676477/#Comment_676477or scroll up a bit. To summarize, when someone dies 20 times at a boss, maybe it's time to ask for help. Since lots of players DO beat the bosses, it must be something they are doing wrong, and it's proven more than once on threads like this one (saying that the story is too hard) that the one making it made some grave mistakes in their build.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

People think it's too hard because they die a lot trying to get to the end of the fight and they don't enjoy this. I personally do not find the fights too hard but I know that many people do and this would be the reason. They may be able to finish the fight, but it's a bit of an empty victory if you died 20 times or more getting there. It's not enjoyable for them. I think that's the point.

So I would say that the issue is that these bosses are not as such too hard to beat, but that they are too hard for them to enjoy the fights. And people who tell them to git gud, clearly have zero idea about how different people's abilities and interest can be. That answer doesn't work for a lot of people.

But ask them. I am open to their plight but I do not find the fights too hard myself. Too boring yes, but not too hard.

Maybe they are using bad builds and it's not the content that's bad it's them for not putting in the miniscule amount of effort it takes to ask for help or advice?

@Einsof.1457 said:

Maybe they are using bad builds and it's not the content that's bad it's them for not putting in the miniscule amount of effort it takes to ask for help or advice?

One of the biggest problems that GW2 has is that the build makes too much of a difference and it creates for people who have a hard time understanding the complexities or even take an interest. They just want to go through the story and enjoy the story and not be stumped by fights they cannot understand because they can't or don't want to. Whatever the reason, it's not the type of experience they are looking for.

And when that's a small portion of your players you can say sorry, this game is about challenge. However, GW2 has been marketed as more casual and they've created some of these issues themselves and they simply cannot ignore the many casual players who are not interested in the combat system and its side effects.

A lot of casual players play the skills and stats that they like. Not because they are good but because they feel it fits with their character and what they like. GW2 doesn't work well with that because they allowed the differences to be too big. Someone quoted a range of 2k-9k DPS. Assuming that's a fair range, this already tells me that it's too big. That creates the kind of problems we are discussing here.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

One of the biggest problems that GW2 has is that the build makes too much of a difference and it creates for people who have a hard time understanding the complexities or even take an interest. They just want to go through the story and enjoy the story and not be stumped by fights they cannot understand because they can't or don't want to. Whatever the reason, it's not the type of experience they are looking for.

And when that's a small portion of your players you can say sorry, this game is about challenge. However, GW2 has been marketed as more casual and they've created some of these issues themselves and they simply cannot ignore the many casual players who are not interested in the combat system and its side effects.

A lot of casual players play the skills and stats that they like. Not because they are good but because they feel it fits with their character and what they like. GW2 doesn't work well with that because they allowed the differences to be too big. Someone quoted a range of 2k-9k DPS. Assuming that's a fair range, this already tells me that it's too big. That creates the kind of problems we are discussing here.

I hate to say it but those kinds of people should play something else. If you don't have the desire to spend a few minutes to go in and think about your build then nothing will make you happy short of ruining the entire game at its foundation. If you want a ultra casual mmo try ffxiv. There are no builds, a strict trinity system, and very mundane and unintuituve stat and gear system. Their story cutscenes are voiced and engaging. For myself, my guild and my other friends ehi play we prefer the complexity and creativity of guild wars 2 and don't want to watch this game get ruined and dumbed down when it already is arguably too easy.

Edit: maybe instead of an infantile mode they should have infantile servers to segregate gamers from watchers.

@Einsof.1457 said:

I hate to say it but those kinds of people should play something else. If you don't have the desire to spend a few minutes to go in and think about your build then nothing will make you happy short of ruining the entire game at its foundation.

Of course you don't hate to say that because that's how you feel. And I get it. However, there are many people who like to play games but for different reasons than yours. And they have a very different idea of what fun is. So why should they not play this game and enjoy it?

So what if the players who prefer easier boss fights in story are 20% of the player base and what if the people who want it more difficult or at least have an actual fail mechanic are 10% of the players. Not real numbers but what if that's the case? Then your view simply is the one that would cause more damage to the game if it was followed.

And since you can't please everybody at the same time, games like this need to give a baseline experience that is casual and then add separate harder content for people who want that. Trying to mix them into one, doesn't work.

This game was marketed as more casual. Didn't even have raids to start with and it wasn't the original plan as it was. It was about story and personal choices and open world etc. Now that tells me that the people who are looking for real challenge are the ones that shouldn't be playing this game.

Now I think that it's perfectly fine for boss fights to fail when you die, but the problem is that with the fights as they are now, this will cause a big problem for many players. And that might be too many for ArenaNet to want to take a risk with of pushing them out. Casual players are simply much more numerous than 10-20 years ago.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

I hate to say it but those kinds of people should play something else. If you don't have the desire to spend a few minutes to go in and think about your build then nothing will make you happy short of ruining the entire game at its foundation.

Of course you don't hate to say that because that's how you feel. And I get it. However, there are many people who like to play games but for different reasons than yours. And they have a very different idea of what fun is. So why should they not play this game and enjoy it?

So what if the players who prefer easier boss fights in story are 20% of the player base and what if the people who want it more difficult or at least have an actual fail mechanic are 10% of the players. Not real numbers but what if that's the case? Then your view simply is the one that would cause more damage to the game if it was followed.

And since you can't please everybody at the same time, games like this need to give a baseline experience that is casual and then add separate harder content for people who want that. Trying to mix them into one, doesn't work.

This game was marketed as more casual. Didn't even have raids to start with and it wasn't the original plan as it was. It was about story and personal choices and open world etc. Now that tells me that the people who are looking for real challenge are the ones that shouldn't be playing this game.

Now I think that it's perfectly fine for boss fights to fail when you die, but the problem is that with the fights as they are now, this will cause a big problem for many players. And that might be too many for ArenaNet to want to take a risk with of pushing them out. Casual players are simply much more numerous than 10-20 years ago.

There are thousands of games out there that those people can try to find what fits them. This isnt the only game in the world. Slight changes are okay but after the first trait shake up I'd cry if they made things even easier. Like I said ffxiv is extremely dull there are no builds or character choices really of any kind outside of asthetic. Let me have my complexity please.

@Einsof.1457 said:

There are thousands of games out there that those people can try to find what fits them.
This isnt the only game in the world. Slight changes are okay but after the first trait shake up I'd cry if they made things even easier. Like I said ffxiv is extremely dull there are no builds or character choices really of any kind outside of asthetic. Let me have my complexity please.

Well doesn't that apply to you as well? As I said I don't need the game to be easier. I'd like them to take some of the tedium out of it and I've accepted that the combat system is something that I don't care to get into much and so I stay away from structured group content.

I am saying I understand that there are people who have difficulty with the story bosses, I'm not saying I need those changes myself. At the same time I wouldn't have a problem with it either because combat difficulty is not what I'm here for. If I want that I'll play another game for that. Considering how the combat is set up here, the only thing that they can do to make the game harder is to make it more annoying/tedious. That's why I don't expect really complex fights and I find the combat system too complex for the game.

I learned to live with that though, but it seems to me that GW2 is not the game to go to for complex combat encounters. There are a couple of fun mechanics left and right, but once you get what the idea is, it's easy to me. But I'm not everybody else.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

There are thousands of games out there that those people can try to find what fits them.
This isnt the only game in the world. Slight changes are okay but after the first trait shake up I'd cry if they made things even easier. Like I said ffxiv is extremely dull there are no builds or character choices really of any kind outside of asthetic. Let me have my complexity please.

Well doesn't that apply to you as well? As I said I don't need the game to be easier. I'd like them to take some of the tedium out of it and I've accepted that the combat system is something that I don't care to get into much and so I stay away from structured group content.

I am saying I understand that there are people who have difficulty with the story bosses, I'm not saying I need those changes myself. At the same time I wouldn't have a problem with it either because combat difficulty is not what I'm here for. If I want that I'll play another game for that. Considering how the combat is set up here, the only thing that they can do to make the game harder is to make it more annoying/tedious. That's why I don't expect really complex fights and I find the combat system too complex for the game.

I learned to live with that though, but it seems to me that GW2 is not the game to go to for complex combat encounters. There are a couple of fun mechanics left and right, but once you get what the idea is, it's easy to me. But I'm not everybody else.

It does apply to me as well but I'd rather game devs make what they want to make over the whaling of forum nerds like us at the end of the day.

@"Gehenna.3625" said:This game was marketed as more casual. Didn't even have raids to start with and it wasn't the original plan as it was. It was about story and personal choices and open world etc. Now that tells me that the people who are looking for real challenge are the ones that shouldn't be playing this game.

You don't really remember the original plan then because they clearly said that their dungeons and the Orr Temples will be content for those that enjoy Raids in other games. It didn't start with Raids, but it started with content that was supposed to be their version of raiding. Let's not twist the original plan now shall we?The game was marketed as casual in terms of you can stop and return back without feeling like you are missing something, no gear treadmill and no monthly fees. There wasn't a single advertisement or developer comment during the release of the game saying "this is going to be the perfect game for those that want an easy time". Not once.

Now that the marketing part is out of the way, I hope, the main problem with "catering" to those asking for easier content is that the content itself isn't the problem, but the players. And not talking about their skill or reaction time, but their build choice. You can't possibly tell me that the game should be created so someone with zero synergy and zero effort in their build (like that guy using only signets but only having shout traits) can beat them. That's insanity and leads to content for dumb people.

Instead of asking for the game to be reduced to a snooze fest, why not put some effort to explain the mechanics better? Why not those having difficulty in beating certain encounters come on the forums and ask for help? This is also a fault of the community too, because there are only guides for Raids and Fractal CMs out there and not guides on how to beat Caudecus or Scruffy 2.0

For example, the OP claims that Braham never uses his shield. He always used it when I played Scruffy and I stuck with him and blocked most of the projectiles. Further, by staying close to Braham at all times he can revive you really fast so you can't die. This isn't even corpse running because he can revive you faster than Scruffy can kill you so simply don't die all the time, or get to the outside platforms and wait for the downed penalty to disappear. Yes the battle with Scruffy 2.0 can be overwhelming with effects and projectiles, but in the end, once you find its gimmick, it's not so hard and it does contain a very good fail safe.