New playable races study - Choose your favorite

Lonami.2987

Tengu, hands down.

While I don’t have the figures, I’m pretty sure getting a new playable race / class is probably going to be a top draw for most RPGs. I mean, the point of a role-playing game is to literally allow you to do role-play, and what better way to do that than allowing you to project a customized avatar of yourself into a world ready for exploration? I totally get that re-rigging armor and hiring voice actors for historic content is probably a big pain, but perhaps this can be circumvented by simply NOT making these options available to new races at all (ie old armor can’t be equipped, and old storylines aren’t accessible)?

IMHO, this also makes canonical sense, especially for the isolated Tengu, since they didn't really play a significant role during the major upheavals of the Zhaitan / Modremoth events. Personally, I don’t really need my spiffy new Tengu to have to go beat Zhaitan all over again when I could be spending time rampaging down newer frontiers.

Of course, I’m not sure what you guys think about this?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Lonami.2987 said:New avatars! HYPE!

@psyt.9415 said:Remake poll with Skritt

But they're already there bookah :disappointed:.

I think hes refering to remake it with Skritt as an individual option, many people (me included) only selected primitve races due to Skritt being there, i can guarantee you the whole majority are Skritt votes.

GIVE US OUR OWN SHINY!

I feel like anet is going to go the more basic route, as much as we want a new race (Tengu pls) It most likely won't happen. I'd think even with a new expansion. People lose interest so quickly due to the stories being months apart, and the stories themselves can be 100% completed in about an hour. It will probably be the same with a new expansion; full of new things but within a week it's been there, done that/ completed story on day one now to rinse repeat events.

• 6 months later...

@Ivantreil.3092 said:

@Lonami.2987 said:New avatars! HYPE!

@psyt.9415 said:Remake poll with Skritt

But they're already there bookah :disappointed:.

I think hes refering to remake it with Skritt as an individual option, many people (me included) only selected primitve races due to Skritt being there, i can guarantee you the whole majority are Skritt votes.

GIVE US OUR OWN SHINY!

Well, if skritt had their own option, they would have far less votes than primitive races do now, so what's the point? You're shooting yourselves in the foot :I.

@Chasind.3128 said:I feel like anet is going to go the more basic route, as much as we want a new race (Tengu pls) It most likely won't happen. I'd think even with a new expansion. People lose interest so quickly due to the stories being months apart, and the stories themselves can be 100% completed in about an hour. It will probably be the same with a new expansion; full of new things but within a week it's been there, done that/ completed story on day one now to rinse repeat events.

A new race could include some changes in the 1-80 experience, upgrading it to the levels of quality we have in HoT and PoF, making old content fresh and worth checking out once again.

I would personally LOVE to see a serpentine race implemented. I've always really liked races like these in any game I play, but they're always antagonists. I understand the difficulties of the body, conflicting with boot and leg skins, as well as things like jumping and sitting. But they just LOOK cool. I loved Naga in World of Warcraft. I love Naga, Krait and Forgotten in Guild Wars 2. I've always wanted to play a serpentine, burly snake person warrior.

I think the body makes them immediately in the very unlikely category, sadly.

I do think next expansion ArenaNet really need to sit down and hammer out how to implement a new race. They're such a staple of the genre, adding new races to play and experience. I think the reason why it's unlikely is the voice acting and writing, not the rigging of armors or making a new player race model. Not just adding more stuff going forward. But having to redo E V E R Y T H I N G from the past. Not only does a new race need to be voiced twice, need to be written as having been a part of the pact and ultimately commander, any dialog that references the commander's race and heritage need to be redone as well. Plus there's the origin story for the first three arcs of the personal story, all of which could need three options if they want it to be comparable to the original races.

These are questions Arenanet should be actively discussing and solving. I'd personally be willing to sacrifice a lot of aspects of the story and choice for getting new races. Whether it's having only one story for your first few arcs, or a short special arc that just get's your character into the pact.

@Frenzify.6832 said:Sometimes I feel like people really overhype the Tengu as a possible new race. I personally just get sick of hearing people hyping them up.

Its not really overhype when Tengu where considered to be a playable race before launch of the game, out of all the races we have now its that fact alone that makes them more likely to be made playable over the others, on top of that they have a city zone already on the map that is inaccessible, they do however lack a starter zone.

I think anything outside Tengu is not going to happen. Not to only do they need to have easily accessible animations for all weapons (which Tengu mostly do), you also need a city with access to a leveling areas. We already have Domain of Wind with access to low leveling areas. In addition, the race has to thematically fit in GW2 at lunch, which some of the ones the op mentioned will not.

Majority of the other races will require massive level of development which I do not think will ever happen.