Can we PLEASE improve melee weapons?

Swagger.1459

Playing melee in pvp and wvw content kinda sucks. Greatsword has some decent elements, except for the #5 skill, but sword and daggers need some real help. Sword moves the character all wonky, and all an opponent needs to do is move slightly to avoid all the flopping around on these sword attacks. Melee is tough enough as is because you are eating a ton of extra damage, but talk about easy telegraphs for opponents to notice and easily avoid. And daggers, even in pve you get ripped up swinging them around. They have almost 0 useful utility and hit like limp noodles...

Please try to understand how I feel about melee on ranger using this 1 comparison.... I can spam this tier 5 skill on Daredevil... https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vault many multiples of times, in the time I can use any of these weak-as-all-get-out tier 5 skills on my ranger...

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vault THAT I CAN SPAM FOR OVER 10,000 DAMAGE MULTIPLE TIMES in a series of a few seconds... That also EVADES and MOVES the character in a chosen direction by 600 each use...

Damage: 908 (2.25)Number of Targets: 5Radius: 180Evade: ½sCombo Finisher: LeapRange: 600

COMPARED TO...

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hilt_Bash WITH A WHOPPING 25s TIMERDamage: 290 (0.72)Number of Targets: 1Daze: 1½ secondsStun: 1½ secondsRange: 300

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crippling_Talon with a 15s timer

Damage: 252 (0.75)Cripple (6s): -50% Movement Speed3 Bleeding (8s): 528 DamageCombo Finisher: Physical ProjectileRange: 1,200A cripple that is easily cleansed like nothing... wow...

...Not trying to be a jerk, but the game is super stale, weapons are super stale, decent gameplay builds basically stay the same for years and years and years... and playing melee sucks unless you use some of the, very few, decent melee weapons on a couple of professions... Please fix up melee weapons on ranger, and other professions too, please? Like these ideas below please?

Greatsword 5- 600 dash forward as-is or 600 ground target leap “stomp” that dazes.

Sword 1.3- Short distance tracking to target.

Sword 2- Ammo system with 2 uses. 600 Leap FORWARD attack with evade frame. Same damage. Remove cripple status effect.

Sword 3- 600 Dash FORWARD animation like this trait that changes Daredevil dodge... https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unhindered_Combatant. Breaks Stun. Removes all movement impairing conditions. Damage and poison like they are now.

Daggers, yes both daggers, need love. It’s a rarity to see a ranger with dagger, and almost every soulbeast I’ve seen runs LB/GS or GS/Axe-Wh... https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/568/daggers-need-redo-and-backstab

The forward movement skills for Sword 2 & 3 are suggested because currently these are not great skills to use when trying to fight on uneven terrain, or when your opponent simply moves away due to the telegraphs. Straight forward attacks give better control and usefulness to the player. GS 5 change is because that skill is limp. Daggers are collecting dust when it comes to wvw and spvp builds.

TY

Edit- And no, I’m not asking for melee skills to hit like a truck, I’m asking for more useful skills that have better utility and better dependability.

@Schnuschnu.9857 said:

@Schnuschnu.9857 said:We absolutly need this.

Totally!

You know what irony is?

Irony is when something has so much iron in it that it’s like totally metal dude(tte)! We can even use the phrase “absolutely metal!” instead of irony!

It’s all just awesome my friend, almost as awesome as you!

I think, not taking into account the Hornet sting - monarch leap thing, IMO sword is fine. No need to reimagine the thing. Damage and utility is a very balanced weapon.

Hilt Bash (GS#5) need change but to apply a leap, apply stun and also refresh Maul is too much. Also we don't need more movement speed in that weapon, we already have Swoop. IMO Nike GS Warriors is one of the builds should be delete from game.

Daggers i heartily agree with OP. They need another round of brainstorming.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

GS is fine. Hilt bash could still use some animation love to not root us so we can hit targets while running away.

Sword is fine. Sword 2 does need some kind of update to allow monarchs leap and hornets sting to alternate and not have a timer. But the auto and evade are ok. The evade couldn't use less of an aftercast delay.

Dagger needs evades on 3.

Ranger isn't quite meant to just auto and stay like rev does. It's more of a wait for your opportunity to get in there with melee, which I personally find is a good place for a ranger play style to be at.

If we want a serious melee weapon with some CC then we all must pray for a hammer bunny thumper to light the way. Or maybe a shield.

• 3 weeks later...

@Eurantien.4632 said:GS is fine. Hilt bash could still use some animation love to not root us so we can hit targets while running away.

Sword is fine. Sword 2 does need some kind of update to allow monarchs leap and hornets sting to alternate and not have a timer. But the auto and evade are ok. The evade couldn't use less of an aftercast delay.

Dagger needs evades on 3.

Ranger isn't quite meant to just auto and stay like rev does. It's more of a wait for your opportunity to get in there with melee, which I personally find is a good place for a ranger play style to be at.

If we want a serious melee weapon with some CC then we all must pray for a hammer bunny thumper to light the way. Or maybe a shield.

a Shield/shield spec? The ham&cheese sandwich?

This is where i would start with improving melee weapons...

Greatsword (power weapon)Reduce hilt bash to 20 second cooldown.

Sword (hybid weapon)Slash - add a 2 second bleed to targets hitCrippling thrust - add a 2 second bleed to targets hitPrecision swipe - both player and pet gain 1 stack of might for 6 seconds

• add a 4 second bleed to targets hit

Hornet sting - add 3 second of cripple to target hitMonarch leap - add 5 seconds of poison and bleeding to target hit

MH Dagger (condi weapon)Deadly delivery - increase duration of vulnerability, bleeding and poison to 6 seconds

Double arc - changed to hit 3 targets within 180 and increase cooldown to 12 seconds

• reduced bleed stacks to 3 for 8 seconds
  • your pets next attack inflicts daze for 1/4 of a second

Instinctive engage - make the leap an evade

• apply 3 stacks of bleeding for 5 seconds
  • pets next attack applies poison for 5 seconds

I agree that both versions of dagger could use an update (I'm one of the many that think mainhand dagger 3 needs an evade), but GS and sword are pretty good as they are. GS has an obscene level of utility built into one weapon, and well-timed sword moves are lifesavers even in the most cleave-spam-infested environments.

The feeling when a greatsword offers more mobility than a dagger.

Dagger suffers from serious mobility issues having a ridiculously weak leap meanwhile GS has a 1000 range gap closer because it speed runs for 400 range and leaps 600 with an evade lol.

Buff Dagger and Sword please, or rework them entirely.