Can't buy gems using paypal [merged]

Recently, I have been trying to buy gems through Paypal from the Black Lion in-game. I am unable to do so as it gives me an error at the end after pressing the pay now button. Now, there has been many posts about Paypal issues with gems, but most of them just say contact support which I have for both Arena Net and Paypal. Both side are saying "it's not my fault" so, I'm just going to post this issue here to shed some light since no one is willing to help me solve this.

Proof:Ticket Number: 6879393

Arena Net Interactions:

GM Adrino (Guild Wars 2 Support)Apr 22, 05:41 PDTHello,Thank you for contacting us.After reviewing your account, we have found that your purchase attempts were declined by PayPal®. When this happens, we are not given a reason of the decline. Please contact PayPal for information about the refusals. Once you have resolved the issue with PayPal try to make your purchase again. You should have no further issue.Regards,GM AdrinoGuild Wars 2 Support Teamhttp://help.guildwars2.com/

Blackwolph.1782Apr 22, 02:18 PDTWhen buying gems with paypal, during the last phase where I press "Pay now" in paypal this message appears on the browser: "Unfortunately there was an error with the payment provider. Please try again later. If this error still persists please contact customer care" with a button that reads "Contact Support" which leads me to here.I have waited 3 hours to try again, then 2 days. still gives me the error message, so I'm wondering if it's Anet's end.

Interactions with Paypal Support and Responses after an Automated answer:

4/24/18 at 10:16 AMThank you for contacting PayPal Customer Support.Our records show that the payment you've initiated wasn't blocked by PayPal. Either the “pay now” button was not successfully used or there may be a temporary issue with the website you are trying to make the payment on. Typically this is caused by a communication problem between PayPal and the seller’s website.The best thing that I can recommend is for you to get in touch with the vendor directly so they can give you other avenues on how else you can proceed with the deal.Thank you for being part of the PayPal community. For additional questions, please visit www.paypal.com and click Help & Contact, near the bottom of any page.Sincerely,KristinePayPal Customer SolutionsPayPal

My Response:Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2018 4:57:37 AM (-06:00)Subject: RE: Your recent question about a declined payment (KMM292223042V18920L0KM)PayPal Customer Support :Sorry for the long pause in the response to this message.You state that payment was not blocked by Paypal, but the vendor that I have contacted support say that Paypal declined the payment process. So, I don't know who to believe.Also, what does it mean by "the 'pay now' button was not successfully used"? Is there another way to press the pay now button? In addition, " there may be a temporary issue with the website you are trying to make the payment on" this definitely is not the issue since this is the ONLY payment that Paypal will not process after pressing the Pay Now button. All other purchases I've made with Paypal doe not have any issues. Only payment I can not process is from Arena Net."The best thing that I can recommend is for you to get in touch with the vendor directly so they can give you other avenues on how else you can proceed with the deal." To address this, I am only willing to buy from their main site or in-game system because the 'other' vendors are too risky, and that the proceeds of the purchase are not guaranteed to go directly to Arena Net.Please look into this issue more specifically than just telling me to go to another vendor.Regards,(Name Omitted)

Paypal:5/3/18 at 12:42 AMDear (Name Omitted),Hi (Name Omitted), thank you for getting back to us about making a payment to Arena Net. I can surely review your account history and let you know how the payment is being denied.In my eagerness to help, I will communicate directly with the account manager of atlanticpaypal@digitalriver.com so we can work hand in hand in resolving this concern.I looked deeply on the transaction and I confirm that your account is properly set up in sending payments, it might be a communication error between PayPal system and the merchants website when making a payment.It would really help if you can send us also a screen shot that will shows an issue in making a payment to this merchant.Here's how to send your screenshot:Log into your PayPal accountErase everything in your address barCopy and paste this link paypal.com/il/uploaddocFollow the instructions to upload your file to your PayPal AccountSelect Send Files to complete the upload.We always value customers who are keen to give us their feedback. I will be surely monitor your account and will keep you posted until the issue resolved.I'm looking forward to hear from you.
Thank you for being part of the PayPal community.Sincerely,Mae

My Response:Hello,I've sent screen shots of the error.I sent it in the order of how the error happens.First, the Pay Now screen which has no problem.Second screen shot is the page after pressing Pay Now. As I have said before, I have already contacted Arenanet with this and they have said that Paypal declined the process. Here is the copy pasted message they have sent me:"After reviewing your account, we have found that your purchase attempts were declined by PayPal®. When this happens, we are not given a reason of the decline. Please contact PayPal for information about the refusals. Once you have resolved the issue with PayPal try to make your purchase again. You should have no further issue."If there were no issue from Paypal after review and evidences, then I will contact Arenanet again.Regards,(Name Omitted)

Paypal:5/4/18 at 4:47 PMDear (Name Omitted),Thank you for writing us back.I carefully checked and there's no record of any declined payment attempts to atlanticpaypal@digitalriver.com. Please reach out to the recipient to determine if you can submit a direct payment via invoice or the send money tab.I assure you that your account is set up to send payments and PayPal has not blocked the transaction.I appreciate your patience and understanding with this process.Thank you for being a valuable member of the PayPal community.Sincerely,VanessaConsumer SupportPayPal

My Response:Dear Paypal,Thank you for your replies. I will be contacting Arenanet again to see if this can be resolved. If I have more problem from this issue, I will be replying through this reply chain.Thank you,(Name Omitted)

Arena Net Support's Response AFTER dealing with Paypal support:Support Ticket: 6892940Jigson (Guild Wars 2 Support)

May 5, 00:18 PDTHi (Name Omitted),Reviewing your most recent purchase attempt, I confirmed that it was not being blocked by any means on our end. The payment was declined by PayPal. When this happens we are not given a reason, and we can only recommend that you contact PayPal yourself. I understand that you have contacted PayPal previously, but you may need to contact them again because they are declining your purchase attempt. We have no control over this, nor can we contact PayPal on your behalf. If you wish to use PayPal, you will need to contact them again.Regards,Regards,JigsonGuild Wars 2 Support Team

This thread would probably be buried in the forum or no one will read it, but here are there interactions I received from both support who pretty much, in my opinion, is not willing to help me with the issue. Both side is saying it's not our fault. So, there you have it I do not know what to do with this since I just want to buy gems in-game, but the service providers are not allowing me to.I do not think I was rude in any kind in these responses, so being avoided seem unfair.In Addition, I have brought up this error a year ago with Arena Net and have told me the same thing. Support Ticket: 2445731

I guess I'll find another game to spend money on.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, do know that ArenaNet is not the vendor/merchant in this, but Digital River. I don't know if you can speak to them directly, but it looks like the Paypal person did.If you really want to obtain Gems, you can purchase Gem Cards, or even use a pre-paid CC.

On the off-chance, have you tried clearing your GW2 cache (instructions found in the Knowledge Base accessed via the 'Support' link above/below)?

Good luck.

This is one of those situations in which the problem is outside the purview of the support teams. Something is happening between when you setup the payment with PayPal and before it gets to ANet. It's none of the usual suspects, because, if it were, the people answering your ticket would have addressed the issue already. I'd guess that the issue is that DigitalRiver is expecting data in form xyz, and PayPal is sending it as yzx, or something like that, but ... well doesn't matter what any of us think.

What you want is for someone at PayPal to get on the phone with someone at DigitalRiver to find out if the issue is happening before or after DR processes the payment. So request PayPal to escalate the ticket and phrase it something like, "I'd like to find out where the issue is occurring. Can you confirm with DigitalRiver that they have sent a request to PayPal and that they are getting confirmation of sufficient funds?"

It shouldn't be your job to get the companies to talk to each other, but if you want to see things resolved, you'll probably need to help them make it happen.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...

Am trying to buy gems from inside the game, I choose the amount, the form of payment, check the check-mark of the policy and as always it opens my browser so I can enter my paypal information, but it stops there and doesnt completely loads the paypay page. I went to check if paypal was the problem at first, but is not the case, I can pay with paypal in other websites without any problems. I tried different browsers just in case but still get the same problem. Here's a screenshot of where it stops working after a commit to buy inside the game's menu. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jYe22gAZUiyeTExBhy1E16O0NARy_pl9 This is the first time in years I get this error buying gems from you guys. Is there a problem in ANet with the payment system? I ask this because I saw several other posts with problems buying gems. How can I fix this? Thx for any help you can give this player :-)

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:Hi. Can you tell me how recently have you tried to make a purchase? And how recently have you reached out for support from either our team or DR?

From my side I just tried to buy gems again on Saturday 8, 2018 at 4:08pm ATL time. still getting the same https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Fopen%3Fid%3D1jYe22gAZUiyeTExBhy1E16O0NARy_pl9 error...

Here's the transcript of my conversation with GuildWars 2 CS:

Can't buy gems using paypal

Vertigo.5106Saturday at 16:37Am trying to buy gems from inside the game, I choose the amount, the form of payment, check the check-mark of the policy and as always it opens my browser so I can enter my paypal information, but it stops there and doesnt completely loads the paypay page. I went to check if paypal was the problem at first, but is not the case, I can pay with paypal in other websites without any problems. I tried different browsers just in case but still get the same problem. Here's a screenshot of where it stops working after a commit to buy inside the game's menu. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jYe22gAZUiyeTExBhy1E16O0NARy_pl9 This is the first time in years I get this error buying gems from you guys. Is there a problem in ANet with the payment system? I ask this because I saw several other posts with problems buying gems. How can I fix this? Thx for any help you can give this player :-)

new screenshot, same problem on Saturday 8, 2018 at 4:08pm ATL time: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eglh19Fo5ByS02Lpb95u3Ul4d54y2hk8...

JigsonSaturday at 18:01Hello,

After reviewing your account, we have found that your purchase attempts were declined by PayPal®. When this happens, we are not given a reason of the decline. Please contact PayPal for information about the refusals. Once you have resolved the issue with PayPal try to make your purchase again. You should have no further issue.Regards,

JigsonGuild Wars 2 Support Teamhttp://help.guildwars2.com/...

Vertigo.5106Saturday at 18:45Its not a paypal problem, we already checked, please read this: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/54143/cant-buy-gems-using-paypal-merged#latest and all the other posts on the forums. What else can you guys to to help? I think you guys need to talk to the digitalriver.com guys also; there has to be a programming issue here. I have made many purchases using paypal on other websites without problems. As I keep reading the forums, the number of people affected by this keep escalating at a fast rate. Hope you guys find a solution to help us keep buying from you guys, ANet is loosing a money here, weird it doesn't seen to bother you guys....

GM MavenSaturday at 21:22Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

As previously stated from the previous response, your recent purchase attempt were declined by PayPal®.We can only suggest you to continue to coordinate with PayPal for more information about the refusals. Once you have resolved the issue with PayPal, please try to make your purchase again and you should have no further issue.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.Regards,

GM MavenGuild Wars 2 Support Teamhttp://help.guildwars2.com/...

Vertigo.5106Yesterday at 22:51I have called Paypal customer service as you asked and told them what you told me and in detail the whole situation step b step; they checked my paypal account and didnt find any problems with it. They didnt even find any declined attempts... But all my other transactions with them as I pay my netflix and other services run without any problems. They told me its you guys that seems to have a problem with your payment system. And now as I did what you guys told me to, what can you guys do for me to fix this problems so I can keep buying gems? Thx in advance....

GM SeawyrmToday at 02:15Hello,

We already checked properly your account and definitely it is being declined by Papyal. That said, Can you please try purchasing gems again using Credit card and see if it will push through? If the issue still persist, kindly reply back to this ticket and let us know.

Regards,

GM SeawyrmGuild Wars 2 Support Teamhttp://help.guildwars2.com/...

When I call Paypal CS they told me that they don't have any attempts of purchase from the game or that they are declining anything... And when I trying to buy things with paypal on other websites, they run perfectly fine... Any of you guys have any ideas of what can me happening? Have any of you guys found a fix to this problem? Its a bit frustrating that both sides tell me isnt them...

I'm in a similar boat with the Paypal, but I never get to the web browser. The transaction errors out and returns to the first screen at the point where it should open an external browser. I've never had a problem with buying gems with Paypal in the past, even a couple weeks ago.

Please Anet I'm trying to give you my money, why won't you take it?

edit - I can get to the screen that sends me to Paypal on my other GW2 account (skwerlz.9604) but not this one.

• 3 weeks later...