Will anything happen to make Ascalon great again? - Page 4 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Lore

Will anything happen to make Ascalon great again?

124>

Comments

  • Genesis.8572Genesis.8572 Member ✭✭✭

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    Honestly, a lot of people were surprised in S2 when it was revealed that the negotiations were still ongoing. Maps frozen in time is something that's largely accepted as fact.

    I'm sure the whole event at Caudacus's Manor had to have been something of a setback.

    It's also possible that the Pact itself alleviated some of the urgency for treaty negotiations. After all, one of the impetuses of the treaty from the charr perspective was the triple threat of the Brand, Ghosts, and Flame Legion, but the Pact was assisting the legions in Fireheart's Rise against the Flame Legion. And Zhaitan was framed as one of the primary problems for humans, which was also dealt with fairly quickly by the Pact.

    (Mind you, I don't think that the charr, asura, and human areas are likely to have expanded much. Stuff that's been there for decades or centuries probably isn't going to grow much over the course of a handful of years without some impetus for that. Sylvari stuff, maybe, since they're still in an early expansion phase.)

    Sure, sylvari can and are spreading, but their expansion possibilities seems somewhat limited though due to the whole Pale Tree thing, which keeps their life cycle and society tied to a particular location. And they are surrounded by an ocean to the south and east, the Domain of Four Winds and Kryta to the North and Northwest, and Rata Sum to the West.

  • @draxynnic.3719 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @kasoki.5180 said:

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

    It's a minor thing, but according to the recent weapon current event/quest chain, they've finally gotten around to signing the 'Treaty of Ebonhawke'. Not as much fanfare as I would've liked, but... not the first time they've realized they've left a thread hanging too long and cleared it out of the way, and it is about time we got out of negotiation limbo.


    But the term treaty of ebonhawke was always used for ceasefire agreement. I don't really see which part of the dialogue suggests its the peace treaty.

    But yeah, in all honestly, we can most likely assume that Treaty was signed somewhere in the last 6 years as it is getting ridiculous by this point now

    Id say an indefinite cease fire is as close to a peace treaty as you can get without further exploring a diplomatic story in game which would turn alot of players off from the story.

    @Loesh.4697 said:

    @kasoki.5180 said:

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

    It's a minor thing, but according to the recent weapon current event/quest chain, they've finally gotten around to signing the 'Treaty of Ebonhawke'. Not as much fanfare as I would've liked, but... not the first time they've realized they've left a thread hanging too long and cleared it out of the way, and it is about time we got out of negotiation limbo.


    But the term treaty of ebonhawke was always used for ceasefire agreement. I don't really see which part of the dialogue suggests its the peace treaty.

    But yeah, in all honestly, we can most likely assume that Treaty was signed somewhere in the last 6 years as it is getting ridiculous by this point now

    I get your point, but we've had some really absurdly long talks for treaty's with less hostile nations then the Charr and Humans.

    But in the terms of a MMO, yes it's been awhile time wise.

    For all we know nowadays, Ebonhawke and the Citadel have a full blown peace treaty in the current story year among other things. Due to the maps all being froze in the year of the original story, outside of the few maps that saw updates during season 1.

    the black citadel would have been expanded upon, and probably finished at leas the core, the outside towns would have expanded quite a bit since the games launch.
    the towns outside of divinites reach would be a fair bit larger than they are now, all the Asura labs that exist outside of Rata Sum would be more expanded and updated, the smaller "groves" outside of The Grove would be much more grown now.

    That is my issue, we cant say anything at all about "what they will look in the future" because we have no examples of them growing in any way on the older maps, which is something i would love to see personally, across the entirety of Tyria.

    Honestly, a lot of people were surprised in S2 when it was revealed that the negotiations were still ongoing. Maps frozen in time is something that's largely accepted as fact.

    (Mind you, I don't think that the charr, asura, and human areas are likely to have expanded much. Stuff that's been there for decades or centuries probably isn't going to grow much over the course of a handful of years without some impetus for that. Sylvari stuff, maybe, since they're still in an early expansion phase.)

    A second war would be massive 250 years and the charr could not breech ebonhawk thats one long stalemate. nether side can commit to a full scale war. maybe in gw3 something will happen with it and the war restarts and something takes out BC and the humans move back into the region. I just like ascalon it was the true heart of the human kingdoms now its gone.

  • @Reusterr.6982 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @kasoki.5180 said:

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

    It's a minor thing, but according to the recent weapon current event/quest chain, they've finally gotten around to signing the 'Treaty of Ebonhawke'. Not as much fanfare as I would've liked, but... not the first time they've realized they've left a thread hanging too long and cleared it out of the way, and it is about time we got out of negotiation limbo.


    But the term treaty of ebonhawke was always used for ceasefire agreement. I don't really see which part of the dialogue suggests its the peace treaty.

    But yeah, in all honestly, we can most likely assume that Treaty was signed somewhere in the last 6 years as it is getting ridiculous by this point now

    Id say an indefinite cease fire is as close to a peace treaty as you can get without further exploring a diplomatic story in game which would turn alot of players off from the story.

    @Loesh.4697 said:

    @kasoki.5180 said:

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

    It's a minor thing, but according to the recent weapon current event/quest chain, they've finally gotten around to signing the 'Treaty of Ebonhawke'. Not as much fanfare as I would've liked, but... not the first time they've realized they've left a thread hanging too long and cleared it out of the way, and it is about time we got out of negotiation limbo.


    But the term treaty of ebonhawke was always used for ceasefire agreement. I don't really see which part of the dialogue suggests its the peace treaty.

    But yeah, in all honestly, we can most likely assume that Treaty was signed somewhere in the last 6 years as it is getting ridiculous by this point now

    I get your point, but we've had some really absurdly long talks for treaty's with less hostile nations then the Charr and Humans.

    But in the terms of a MMO, yes it's been awhile time wise.

    For all we know nowadays, Ebonhawke and the Citadel have a full blown peace treaty in the current story year among other things. Due to the maps all being froze in the year of the original story, outside of the few maps that saw updates during season 1.

    the black citadel would have been expanded upon, and probably finished at leas the core, the outside towns would have expanded quite a bit since the games launch.
    the towns outside of divinites reach would be a fair bit larger than they are now, all the Asura labs that exist outside of Rata Sum would be more expanded and updated, the smaller "groves" outside of The Grove would be much more grown now.

    That is my issue, we cant say anything at all about "what they will look in the future" because we have no examples of them growing in any way on the older maps, which is something i would love to see personally, across the entirety of Tyria.

    Honestly, a lot of people were surprised in S2 when it was revealed that the negotiations were still ongoing. Maps frozen in time is something that's largely accepted as fact.

    (Mind you, I don't think that the charr, asura, and human areas are likely to have expanded much. Stuff that's been there for decades or centuries probably isn't going to grow much over the course of a handful of years without some impetus for that. Sylvari stuff, maybe, since they're still in an early expansion phase.)

    A second war would be massive 250 years and the charr could not breech ebonhawk thats one long stalemate. nether side can commit to a full scale war. maybe in gw3 something will happen with it and the war restarts and something takes out BC and the humans move back into the region. I just like ascalon it was the true heart of the human kingdoms now its gone.

    also to add to take the charr out plan 1 make them fight each other make the legions fight them selfs out even if you get the blood and ash legion to wipe out the iron because the iron legion is the one you don't want to fight the others are less technologically bases and could fight then easier then the iron.
    with this treaty thou have the legion started taken on human recruits that would be a totally different approach.
    how do the charr react to humans wanting to do a pilgrimage to the ruins of Ascalon City?
    .

  • Genesis.8572Genesis.8572 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2018

    @Reusterr.6982 said:
    A second war would be massive 250 years and the charr could not breech ebonhawk thats one long stalemate. nether side can commit to a full scale war. maybe in gw3 something will happen with it and the war restarts and something takes out BC and the humans move back into the region. I just like ascalon it was the true heart of the human kingdoms now its gone.

    Ascalon was the "heart" in so much as it provided the starting perspective for the PC in GW1 Prophecies. Kryta was the heart in that it became the primary focus for the majority of the Prophecies campaign and became the adopted land of the PC. Historically, however, Orr was the true actual heart of the Tyrian human kingdoms. It was the cultural, religious, and political center. Orr had the "eternal city" where the gods called their home. Orr looked down on its warring "little children" during the Guild Wars. Orr is back, but it probably cannot be resettled until about 50-100 years from now. The land must be reclaimed, and the remaining Zhaitan-crazed undead most be dealt with. In the contemporaneous GW2 age, ArenaNet seemingly believes that humans can't have nice things, and so the settlement of Orr would probably have to be shared between the playable races.

  • Castigator.3470Castigator.3470 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2018

    @Reusterr.6982 said:
    also to add to take the charr out plan 1 make them fight each other make the legions fight them selfs out even if you get the blood and ash legion to wipe out the iron because the iron legion is the one you don't want to fight the others are less technologically bases and could fight then easier then the iron.
    with this treaty thou have the legion started taken on human recruits that would be a totally different approach.
    how do the charr react to humans wanting to do a pilgrimage to the ruins of Ascalon City?
    .

    You Invasion plan has been forwarded to Bhuer Goreblade. The Adamant Guard may post a bounty on your head.
    As for the reaction towards human pilgrims: I'm sure they could find one or the other charr willing to sell them authentic pieces of the Great Northern Wall. Careful, though, a ghost may pop out.
    There's also a great collection of replicated weapons and armor from the Ascalonian Catacombs. You may even find the real thing, if you look hard enough.

    Iron Legion guided tour leaflet. (Inspired by Egyptian cruise leaflet.)

    But if you don't want to miss anything and have the time and money to take the complete guided tour, your 14 day holiday program will start in the Black Citadel, where you can see the beating heart of modern Iron Legion city life torn straight from its body! Sights include the picturesque Gladium Canton, the ancient Ruins of Rin, gladiatorial games in the Bane, or alternatively an exclusive glimpse into the world of explosive high speed racing in the Circus Charricus.
    After experiencing the city, the trip explores the culinary delights of Ascalon, as we move on to the Diessa Plateau, where the many different estates produce central Tyria's finest meat procucts. The journey begins in Nolani, the former site of a magic academy, now the site of the Nolani Fahrar, one of the oldest institutions in modern charr education. Once we have visited these places of interest, we move north to Butcher's Block, where visitors can dive headfirst into the festive aspect of charr life and drink, eat and fight to their heart's content. Instead of taking the main road to Butcher's Block, we'll take the scenic route past the ruins of Oldgate, which used to be an important outpost. If you didn't visit the ghost batteries in the Citadel, this may be your first experience with the aftermath of the Foefire.
    Moving on from Butcher's Block, we make a short stop in the Bovarin Estate, which is where the amazing meat of Butcher's Block originally came from. This will give us an opportunity to experience the ranching life, which is what every retired soldier dreams of.
    To take a break from the life of ranching and herding, we move on to Nageling, the old jewel of Diessa. Much more calm and serene than the Citadel or Smokestead, Nageling handles the flow of cattle towards the citadel and tools from the citadel into the surrounding countryside.
    From there, we accompany the glorious warbands of Ash, Blood and Iron on their ghost patrols past the breached wall and into the highlight of our journey: The ruins of Ascalon City itself. It is advised to never stray too far from the charr posts, as there is a very real danger of getting swarmed by the undead. The charr are your only friends in this area. However, taking such risks is absolutely worth it for the experience alone, as you can say you visited the heart of the Foefire and the place that shaped history like few others.
    After experiencing the 'spooky' side of Ascalon, we move along the main road towards Ashford Forum, a beautiful settlement offering traditional charr craftsmanship and a local fighting pit. If gladiatorial games are not interesting, there are alternative trips to Lake Adorea for a Drake hunt and a nice swim in the countryside.
    Moving on to Ashford, we pass through Charr's Triumph. A place notable for the statue of Pyre Fierceshot, one of the greatest heroes of the charr. While there, we may also witness Iron Legion's newest equipment passing to the warbands in the region.
    Smokestead is the gate to the Black Citadel, famous for its tales and taverns offering the opportunity for daring travellers to try traditional charr whisky. Entering the Black Citadel, we conclude the tour near the Serrated Blade, where it began, allowing you to spend the rest of your holidays within the safety of its walls and load up on souvenirs, if you haven't already done so.
    The Ascalon guided tour is organized by the Gaze-Warband. We hope that this gives you a new perspective on Ascalon as a place of living history and a new appreciation for its wonderful complex history, beautiful landscape and its inhabitants.

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Reusterr.6982 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @kasoki.5180 said:

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

    It's a minor thing, but according to the recent weapon current event/quest chain, they've finally gotten around to signing the 'Treaty of Ebonhawke'. Not as much fanfare as I would've liked, but... not the first time they've realized they've left a thread hanging too long and cleared it out of the way, and it is about time we got out of negotiation limbo.


    But the term treaty of ebonhawke was always used for ceasefire agreement. I don't really see which part of the dialogue suggests its the peace treaty.

    But yeah, in all honestly, we can most likely assume that Treaty was signed somewhere in the last 6 years as it is getting ridiculous by this point now

    Id say an indefinite cease fire is as close to a peace treaty as you can get without further exploring a diplomatic story in game which would turn alot of players off from the story.

    @Loesh.4697 said:

    @kasoki.5180 said:

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

    It's a minor thing, but according to the recent weapon current event/quest chain, they've finally gotten around to signing the 'Treaty of Ebonhawke'. Not as much fanfare as I would've liked, but... not the first time they've realized they've left a thread hanging too long and cleared it out of the way, and it is about time we got out of negotiation limbo.


    But the term treaty of ebonhawke was always used for ceasefire agreement. I don't really see which part of the dialogue suggests its the peace treaty.

    But yeah, in all honestly, we can most likely assume that Treaty was signed somewhere in the last 6 years as it is getting ridiculous by this point now

    I get your point, but we've had some really absurdly long talks for treaty's with less hostile nations then the Charr and Humans.

    But in the terms of a MMO, yes it's been awhile time wise.

    For all we know nowadays, Ebonhawke and the Citadel have a full blown peace treaty in the current story year among other things. Due to the maps all being froze in the year of the original story, outside of the few maps that saw updates during season 1.

    the black citadel would have been expanded upon, and probably finished at leas the core, the outside towns would have expanded quite a bit since the games launch.
    the towns outside of divinites reach would be a fair bit larger than they are now, all the Asura labs that exist outside of Rata Sum would be more expanded and updated, the smaller "groves" outside of The Grove would be much more grown now.

    That is my issue, we cant say anything at all about "what they will look in the future" because we have no examples of them growing in any way on the older maps, which is something i would love to see personally, across the entirety of Tyria.

    Honestly, a lot of people were surprised in S2 when it was revealed that the negotiations were still ongoing. Maps frozen in time is something that's largely accepted as fact.

    (Mind you, I don't think that the charr, asura, and human areas are likely to have expanded much. Stuff that's been there for decades or centuries probably isn't going to grow much over the course of a handful of years without some impetus for that. Sylvari stuff, maybe, since they're still in an early expansion phase.)

    A second war would be massive 250 years and the charr could not breech ebonhawk thats one long stalemate. nether side can commit to a full scale war. maybe in gw3 something will happen with it and the war restarts and something takes out BC and the humans move back into the region. I just like ascalon it was the true heart of the human kingdoms now its gone.

    To be fair you dont have to breach a city, you just have to starve the residents, and if it wasnt for the ebonhawke treaty that would have eventually happened, ontop of the constant bombardment of the city, which would cause injuries, and fatalities over the long run and the fact that they(Charr) did in fact manage to blow a chunk out of the wall, Ebonhawke would have fallen eventually, through starvation and plague, or fatalities from the bombardment. Humans cant reproduce fast enough to keep a war going for long if they are forced into a small cage like Ebonhawke is.

    Ascalon was not the true heart of the human kingdom. it was one of the humans Kingdoms, and it wasnt even the oldest. Kryta is older than Ascalon, the Kingdom of Orr when it was a human was far older and it was the heart of the kingdom until it got sunk beneath the waves, and when it fell Kryta became the heart of humans in Tyria. I can understand loving Ascalon for how it looked in Pre searing from GW1, but Ascalon will never and even if it was in humans hands still would never look like that again.

    in a hypothetical GW3 i dont see them going back to only having humans/human types as playable races, the ability to play as the Charr is one of the things that made me want to play GW2, and losing that would for sure make me not want to play GW3 if a thing like that happens.

    Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

  • draxynnic.3719draxynnic.3719 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @Reusterr.6982 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:

    @kasoki.5180 said:

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

    It's a minor thing, but according to the recent weapon current event/quest chain, they've finally gotten around to signing the 'Treaty of Ebonhawke'. Not as much fanfare as I would've liked, but... not the first time they've realized they've left a thread hanging too long and cleared it out of the way, and it is about time we got out of negotiation limbo.


    But the term treaty of ebonhawke was always used for ceasefire agreement. I don't really see which part of the dialogue suggests its the peace treaty.

    But yeah, in all honestly, we can most likely assume that Treaty was signed somewhere in the last 6 years as it is getting ridiculous by this point now

    Id say an indefinite cease fire is as close to a peace treaty as you can get without further exploring a diplomatic story in game which would turn alot of players off from the story.

    @Loesh.4697 said:

    @kasoki.5180 said:

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

    It's a minor thing, but according to the recent weapon current event/quest chain, they've finally gotten around to signing the 'Treaty of Ebonhawke'. Not as much fanfare as I would've liked, but... not the first time they've realized they've left a thread hanging too long and cleared it out of the way, and it is about time we got out of negotiation limbo.


    But the term treaty of ebonhawke was always used for ceasefire agreement. I don't really see which part of the dialogue suggests its the peace treaty.

    But yeah, in all honestly, we can most likely assume that Treaty was signed somewhere in the last 6 years as it is getting ridiculous by this point now

    I get your point, but we've had some really absurdly long talks for treaty's with less hostile nations then the Charr and Humans.

    But in the terms of a MMO, yes it's been awhile time wise.

    For all we know nowadays, Ebonhawke and the Citadel have a full blown peace treaty in the current story year among other things. Due to the maps all being froze in the year of the original story, outside of the few maps that saw updates during season 1.

    the black citadel would have been expanded upon, and probably finished at leas the core, the outside towns would have expanded quite a bit since the games launch.
    the towns outside of divinites reach would be a fair bit larger than they are now, all the Asura labs that exist outside of Rata Sum would be more expanded and updated, the smaller "groves" outside of The Grove would be much more grown now.

    That is my issue, we cant say anything at all about "what they will look in the future" because we have no examples of them growing in any way on the older maps, which is something i would love to see personally, across the entirety of Tyria.

    Honestly, a lot of people were surprised in S2 when it was revealed that the negotiations were still ongoing. Maps frozen in time is something that's largely accepted as fact.

    (Mind you, I don't think that the charr, asura, and human areas are likely to have expanded much. Stuff that's been there for decades or centuries probably isn't going to grow much over the course of a handful of years without some impetus for that. Sylvari stuff, maybe, since they're still in an early expansion phase.)

    A second war would be massive 250 years and the charr could not breech ebonhawk thats one long stalemate. nether side can commit to a full scale war. maybe in gw3 something will happen with it and the war restarts and something takes out BC and the humans move back into the region. I just like ascalon it was the true heart of the human kingdoms now its gone.

    To be fair you dont have to breach a city, you just have to starve the residents, and if it wasnt for the ebonhawke treaty that would have eventually happened, ontop of the constant bombardment of the city, which would cause injuries, and fatalities over the long run and the fact that they(Charr) did in fact manage to blow a chunk out of the wall, Ebonhawke would have fallen eventually, through starvation and plague, or fatalities from the bombardment. Humans cant reproduce fast enough to keep a war going for long if they are forced into a small cage like Ebonhawke is.

    The siege failed, though, because Ebonhawke wasn't starving. Whether by gate or by more conventional means, Ebonhawke survived through Krytan aid and supplies. It's been stated several times that without that aid, Ebonhawke would have fallen a long time ago.

  • Genesis.8572Genesis.8572 Member ✭✭✭

    @Dante.1763 said:
    To be fair you dont have to breach a city, you just have to starve the residents, and if it wasnt for the ebonhawke treaty that would have eventually happened, ontop of the constant bombardment of the city, which would cause injuries, and fatalities over the long run and the fact that they(Charr) did in fact manage to blow a chunk out of the wall, Ebonhawke would have fallen eventually, through starvation and plague, or fatalities from the bombardment. Humans cant reproduce fast enough to keep a war going for long if they are forced into a small cage like Ebonhawke is.

    Ummm... what you described was even less likely to happen prior to the Ceasefire and Treaty. Prior to the awakening of Kraalkatorik, Queen Jennah was in Ebonhawke to celebrate the repair of the asura gate connecting Ebonhawke and Divinity's Reach. One of Kryta's greatest strengths is its agricultural output. Ebonhawke was even less likely to fall, as this ensured a steady stream of troops and supplies. And this knowledge probably factored into Malice Swordshadow and Smodur the Unflinching's push for a treaty. Ebonhawke became less likely to fall at the same time as the Brand cut through the entirety of Ascalon territory.

    Ascalon was not the true heart of the human kingdom. it was one of the humans Kingdoms, and it wasnt even the oldest. Kryta is older than Ascalon, the Kingdom of Orr when it was a human was far older and it was the heart of the kingdom until it got sunk beneath the waves, and when it fell Kryta became the heart of humans in Tyria. I can understand loving Ascalon for how it looked in Pre searing from GW1, but Ascalon will never and even if it was in humans hands still would never look like that again.

    Ascalon was established in 100 BE (Before Exile), while Kryta was established in 300 AE (After Exile) as an Elonian colony. We do know, however, that King Doric had an estate and territory in Kryta, but he was first crowned as king in Ascalon, which suggests that Ascalon was older. And also, Ascalon was far more developed than Kryta shortly before the Searing and its Wall was holding back the charr. In terms of the Pre-Searing balance of power, it was probably Orr > Ascalon > Kryta.

  • @Genesis.8572 said:
    Ascalon was established in 100 BE (Before Exile), while Kryta was established in 300 AE (After Exile) as an Elonian colony. We do know, however, that King Doric had an estate and territory in Kryta, but he was first crowned as king in Ascalon, which suggests that Ascalon was older. And also, Ascalon was far more developed than Kryta shortly before the Searing and its Wall was holding back the charr. In terms of the Pre-Searing balance of power, it was probably Orr > Ascalon > Kryta.

    small tiny correction in here - before/after exodus, not exile.

    GW's dating system is refering to the moment when gods decided to no longer walk among humans and leave the tyria.

  • @Castigator.3470 said:

    @Reusterr.6982 said:
    also to add to take the charr out plan 1 make them fight each other make the legions fight them selfs out even if you get the blood and ash legion to wipe out the iron because the iron legion is the one you don't want to fight the others are less technologically bases and could fight then easier then the iron.
    with this treaty thou have the legion started taken on human recruits that would be a totally different approach.
    how do the charr react to humans wanting to do a pilgrimage to the ruins of Ascalon City?
    .

    You Invasion plan has been forwarded to Bhuer Goreblade. The Adamant Guard may post a bounty on your head.
    As for the reaction towards human pilgrims: I'm sure they could find one or the other charr willing to sell them authentic pieces of the Great Northern Wall. Careful, though, a ghost may pop out.
    There's also a great collection of replicated weapons and armor from the Ascalonian Catacombs. You may even find the real thing, if you look hard enough.

    Iron Legion guided tour leaflet. (Inspired by Egyptian cruise leaflet.)

    But if you don't want to miss anything and have the time and money to take the complete guided tour, your 14 day holiday program will start in the Black Citadel, where you can see the beating heart of modern Iron Legion city life torn straight from its body! Sights include the picturesque Gladium Canton, the ancient Ruins of Rin, gladiatorial games in the Bane, or alternatively an exclusive glimpse into the world of explosive high speed racing in the Circus Charricus.
    After experiencing the city, the trip explores the culinary delights of Ascalon, as we move on to the Diessa Plateau, where the many different estates produce central Tyria's finest meat procucts. The journey begins in Nolani, the former site of a magic academy, now the site of the Nolani Fahrar, one of the oldest institutions in modern charr education. Once we have visited these places of interest, we move north to Butcher's Block, where visitors can dive headfirst into the festive aspect of charr life and drink, eat and fight to their heart's content. Instead of taking the main road to Butcher's Block, we'll take the scenic route past the ruins of Oldgate, which used to be an important outpost. If you didn't visit the ghost batteries in the Citadel, this may be your first experience with the aftermath of the Foefire.
    Moving on from Butcher's Block, we make a short stop in the Bovarin Estate, which is where the amazing meat of Butcher's Block originally came from. This will give us an opportunity to experience the ranching life, which is what every retired soldier dreams of.
    To take a break from the life of ranching and herding, we move on to Nageling, the old jewel of Diessa. Much more calm and serene than the Citadel or Smokestead, Nageling handles the flow of cattle towards the citadel and tools from the citadel into the surrounding countryside.
    From there, we accompany the glorious warbands of Ash, Blood and Iron on their ghost patrols past the breached wall and into the highlight of our journey: The ruins of Ascalon City itself. It is advised to never stray too far from the charr posts, as there is a very real danger of getting swarmed by the undead. The charr are your only friends in this area. However, taking such risks is absolutely worth it for the experience alone, as you can say you visited the heart of the Foefire and the place that shaped history like few others.
    After experiencing the 'spooky' side of Ascalon, we move along the main road towards Ashford Forum, a beautiful settlement offering traditional charr craftsmanship and a local fighting pit. If gladiatorial games are not interesting, there are alternative trips to Lake Adorea for a Drake hunt and a nice swim in the countryside.
    Moving on to Ashford, we pass through Charr's Triumph. A place notable for the statue of Pyre Fierceshot, one of the greatest heroes of the charr. While there, we may also witness Iron Legion's newest equipment passing to the warbands in the region.
    Smokestead is the gate to the Black Citadel, famous for its tales and taverns offering the opportunity for daring travellers to try traditional charr whisky. Entering the Black Citadel, we conclude the tour near the Serrated Blade, where it began, allowing you to spend the rest of your holidays within the safety of its walls and load up on souvenirs, if you haven't already done so.
    The Ascalon guided tour is organized by the Gaze-Warband. We hope that this gives you a new perspective on Ascalon as a place of living history and a new appreciation for its wonderful complex history, beautiful landscape and its inhabitants.

    Haha i'll have to take you up on this tour just hope the bounty don't come with it hah (my toon's a rev so i could enslave a charr to do my bidding :P).

  • Genesis.8572Genesis.8572 Member ✭✭✭

    @Lord Trejgon.2809 said:
    small tiny correction in here - before/after exodus, not exile.

    GW's dating system is refering to the moment when gods decided to no longer walk among humans and leave the tyria.

    Good catch. Sorry, I have a work-related habit of thinking in post-exilic and pre-exilic, and that likely affected my sense of names.

  • @Imba.9451 said:

    @Loesh.4697 said:
    Luxon vs Kurzick style.

    I thought exactly the same about this some weeks ago.
    Sadly, the way this story is currently headed to, and the games overall structure, won't allow this. Unless you do it like in Fractals, and get character model for the side you chose while in a match. And even then, the story must allow such a thing to happen.
    I agree, we had so many supernatural enemies, godlike beings and cataclysmic events, that a good old war would actually be refreshing.

    @Loesh.4697 said:
    We need more Gwen Thackery's, humans with that distinctly vicious edge made for compelling characters and would set humanity apart from the other races.

    True. Jennah was portrayed kinda kitten in the living story, but overall, her goals are tame.
    Anise is loyal to her Queen.
    We still have Livia, but there is nothing for her to do, after we killed Lazarus. (And I STILL hope that there are Mursaat left. We always get told that Lazarus was the last Mursaat, but I don't want to believe it. #MakeMursaatPlayableRace)

    @Loesh.4697 said:
    Probably a good deal of why I like Ascalon so much. A gurrelia hit and run force of freedom fighters battling against a numerically superior, more technologically advanced army? and one that has roots in what was essentially the Mongols at the height of their power aesthetically? Gee, I wonder which side I will pick.

    You mean GW1 or GW2 Ascalon?
    Because I never saw humanity as "inferior". They have less tech, but they have magic. Look at the Amala bossfight to see what a human is capable off. They are beasts, and it suprises me not that Charr needed an preemptive nuke and alot of soldiers to push through Ascalon and advance towards Orr and Kryta. I don't really know about the lore, but are all races, aside from gameplay, equal in terms of magic affinity? I may be wrong, but I think not.

    Be interesting too play a male or female mursaat as a playable race character but they be hated by the kittens no doubt and their be the trying too prove your character is not like the other mursaat.

  • Is it just me or has there been a rash of Necros going around the past couple of weeks?

    Hate Is Fuel.

  • Brycar.2651Brycar.2651 Member ✭✭✭

    Gnashbalde will rise to a leadership position. He will sell hats that say Make Ascalon Greeeaat Again!

  • There is no Ascalon anymore. Just the Iron Legion Homeland which borders Ebonhawk, a human principality (and vessel state of Kryta).

  • All it needs is for Logan Thackeray to marry Ellen Kiel and unite the Ebon Vanguard and the Ascalonian Separatists - officially. The fact is the Ebon Vanguard camp partly from the Separatist movement - Gwen and Kieran Thackeray were very much from that movement. But. It is clear that the current team at Arenanet wish all would forget this critical part of Guild Wars lore. The Stronghold of Ebonhawke was founded by Gwen and Kieran themselves. And to me the Thackeray have ruled that keep for generations since it's founding - right down to Logan - the current Thackeray lord.

  • Imba.9451Imba.9451 Member ✭✭✭

    @Nicholas S Lin.6187 said:
    All it needs is for Logan Thackeray to marry Ellen Kiel and unite the Ebon Vanguard and the Ascalonian Separatists - officially. The fact is the Ebon Vanguard camp partly from the Separatist movement - Gwen and Kieran Thackeray were very much from that movement. But. It is clear that the current team at Arenanet wish all would forget this critical part of Guild Wars lore. The Stronghold of Ebonhawke was founded by Gwen and Kieran themselves. And to me the Thackeray have ruled that keep for generations since it's founding - right down to Logan - the current Thackeray lord.

    As much as I like seeing Cantha again (along with other things like Mursaat, wich I know I'll never get), thats some story content I'd like to see in a living story. the whole Ascalon Ghosts scenario needs some form of conclusion, one was or another.

  • Kichwas.7152Kichwas.7152 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020

    @The Greyhawk.9107 said:
    Is it just me or has there been a rash of Necros going around the past couple of weeks?

    Yeah... I got 'tricked' into replying when this showed up on my list of current threads...

    deleting my response because, I may not be able to delete the actual post, but the thread is a necro'd thread...

    Just say no to butt-flaps.

  • But this is Lore, i didnt think lore could be necroed as you never when it will be relevant again with future stories, but ascalon is looking great, more and mroe after you start tearing down that wall

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Amanda Whitemoon.6173 said:
    But this is Lore, i didnt think lore could be necroed as you never when it will be relevant again with future stories, but ascalon is looking great, more and mroe after you start tearing down that wall

    Better to Necro a thread than start another one with the same subject.. I don't get why people have a problem with that, specially when new threads often get merged into old ones anyway.
    If the subject is relevant then Necro away I say.

    @Imba.9451 said:
    As much as I like seeing Cantha again (along with other things like Mursaat, wich I know I'll never get), thats some story content I'd like to see in a living story. the whole Ascalon Ghosts scenario needs some form of conclusion, one was or another.

    We already got some Mursaat story in Gw2, that's pretty much done now.
    The Titans murdered most of them back in Gw1 and the only known survivors of that event were killed in the Krytan Civil War.
    Lazarus the Dire was the only Mursaat that survived both events and he met his end in LW3.
    The Eye of Janthir disintegrating after his death pretty much confirmed that there are no Mursaat left on Tyria, so much like the Seers they are now deemed extinct.

    Some think they might reappear again someday like they did in GW1 but that's unlikely, the Mursaat never truly left Tyria they just became out of phase with it.. like ghosts in a way.
    They were still on Tyria, only they were invisible to everyone that lived there.
    Now though they are truly gone and if any members of their race still exist.. they're not on Tyria.

  • Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

    Yeah, as someone who necro'd a few threads recently, I stand by my choice. :p

    Especially when they're threads I made in the past that I have a new/relevant question pertaining to, I don't see what the issue is. If we get to discuss more lore that's a good thing, no matter when the thread originated.

  • Imba.9451Imba.9451 Member ✭✭✭

    @Teratus.2859 said:

    Some think they might reappear again someday like they did in GW1 but that's unlikely, the Mursaat never truly left Tyria they just became out of phase with it.. like ghosts in a way.
    They were still on Tyria, only they were invisible to everyone that lived there.
    Now though they are truly gone and if any members of their race still exist.. they're not on Tyria.

    Honestly, I'm not quite sure about it. Did the Eye of Janthir exist before the Mursaat returned? Did it work? Unless thats confirmed, writing wise there is still romm to have them return by simply saying: The ones that came back were just a Vanguard, now they start a real offensive.

    And what we had in LS3 was filler. That chapter had nothing to do with the Balthasar storyline and was simply added as fanservice. I mean, I am not complaining, I only wished for it not being the ONLY Mursaat related content. Imho, from a conceptional standpoint, they still are the most interesting threat Tyria faced so far. They are ancient, they are intelligent, they are powergul, they are organized. Feel free to disagree with me on that part.
    And to me, this is Anet not playing their strengths right. Balthaddon could have been done alot better, most of the campain missed urgency for me (HoT did that alot better). And Ascalonian Ghosts are also a loose end, one that simply bugs me alot.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2020

    @Imba.9451 said:

    @Teratus.2859 said:

    Some think they might reappear again someday like they did in GW1 but that's unlikely, the Mursaat never truly left Tyria they just became out of phase with it.. like ghosts in a way.
    They were still on Tyria, only they were invisible to everyone that lived there.
    Now though they are truly gone and if any members of their race still exist.. they're not on Tyria.

    Honestly, I'm not quite sure about it. Did the Eye of Janthir exist before the Mursaat returned? Did it work? Unless thats confirmed, writing wise there is still romm to have them return by simply saying: The ones that came back were just a Vanguard, now they start a real offensive.

    It did although the origin's of the eye are completely unknown.
    All we do know is that it is ancient and it originates from the Isles of Janthir and it is linked to some unknown people that once lived there.
    Considering how long the Mursaat have been around for and how loyal the Eye was to them (It has it's own intelligence and some level of free will) I expect that the unknown people who created the Eye were the Mursaat.
    It can't be coincidence that the Isles of Janthir are also where Saul D'Alessio first encountered the Mursaat leading to the founding of the White Mantle and the location has remained connected to them even in Gw2 though we don't know any specific details about why some characters have gone there off screen (Caudecus being one).

    I expect the Mursaat originate from the Isles and the vast majority of them remained secluded in this area even when they went out of phase with the world.. I expect they created the Eye as some kind of defence as well, but we won't know that for sure until Anet gives us more info on this region.
    The main function of the Eye is to identify people with Gift of True Sight.. aka the Chosen in Gw1, if the Chosen had awakened this power like our Gw1 characters did when they Ascended they would have been able to see the Mursaat just like we were able to.
    This is why the Eye was given to the Mantle and why the Chosen were specifically selected to be sacrificed.. The Mursaat were protecting themselves.

    And what we had in LS3 was filler. That chapter had nothing to do with the Balthasar storyline and was simply added as fanservice. I mean, I am not complaining, I only wished for it not being the ONLY Mursaat related content. Imho, from a conceptional standpoint, they still are the most interesting threat Tyria faced so far. They are ancient, they are intelligent, they are powergul, they are organized. Feel free to disagree with me on that part.
    And to me, this is Anet not playing their strengths right. Balthaddon could have been done alot better, most of the campain missed urgency for me (HoT did that alot better). And Ascalonian Ghosts are also a loose end, one that simply bugs me alot.

    No I don't disagree :)
    I'm very much with you on that.
    They were very old, very powerful and they were very organised back in Gw1.
    Problem was that their story was more or less told back in Gw1, they returned to prevent the Flameseeker Prophecies from occurring which foretold their extinction.
    Ultimately their actions only aided the prophecy in coming to pass and their race was wiped out by the Titans and by the chosen Heroes (our Gw1 characters)

    Gw1 really didn't give Gw2 much left to work with as far as the Mursaat go.. We did get some lore about them on the fire isles though and yeah Lazarus was largely fan service and had nothing to do with Balthazar outside of Balthazar taking on his appearance which still imo didn't really serve much plot purpose other than to build up an actual fight with Lazarus and give us a little Surprise!! im actually a God story moment lol

    I'd have preferred Lazarus not been brought in and thrown away so quickly though.. same goes for Joko as well.
    These were two villains that deserved more time and dominance as main antagonists.. shame they were not fully utilised as such, Joko at least had a short run as a main antagonist but Lazarus wasn't so lucky.

  • Imba.9451Imba.9451 Member ✭✭✭

    @Teratus.2859 said:

    I'd have preferred Lazarus not been brought in and thrown away so quickly though.. same goes for Joko as well.
    These were two villains that deserved more time and dominance as main antagonists.. shame they were not fully utilised as such, Joko at least had a short run as a main antagonist but Lazarus wasn't so lucky.

    Thats a problem I have with alot of stuff as well. Much of the content that was part of GW1 gets handwaved off way too quickly.
    Ascalon Ghosts? Yeah, whatever, just shoot em.
    Mursaat? Here, have a single boss fight that ties into nothing. Oh, and let the final boss of an expansion take form of a mursaat for whatever reason.
    Joko? Make him out to be a bumbling fool. Then let him get Aurene'd when he FINALLY start to get some character development. (Seriously, I freaking LOVED his monologue. Shame it didn't lead anywhere. Talk about subverted expectations.)
    Dwarves? Who knows what happens under Tyria, maybe we will see Jalis again when it's time to tackle primorduus, but I don't really hold my breath for it.

    Anet started too many threads and either lets them unfinished or wraps them up way too quickly. Maybe Cantha will be a bit more free of that burden.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Imba.9451 said:

    @Teratus.2859 said:

    I'd have preferred Lazarus not been brought in and thrown away so quickly though.. same goes for Joko as well.
    These were two villains that deserved more time and dominance as main antagonists.. shame they were not fully utilised as such, Joko at least had a short run as a main antagonist but Lazarus wasn't so lucky.

    Thats a problem I have with alot of stuff as well. Much of the content that was part of GW1 gets handwaved off way too quickly.
    Ascalon Ghosts? Yeah, whatever, just shoot em.
    Mursaat? Here, have a single boss fight that ties into nothing. Oh, and let the final boss of an expansion take form of a mursaat for whatever reason.
    Joko? Make him out to be a bumbling fool. Then let him get Aurene'd when he FINALLY start to get some character development. (Seriously, I freaking LOVED his monologue. Shame it didn't lead anywhere. Talk about subverted expectations.)
    Dwarves? Who knows what happens under Tyria, maybe we will see Jalis again when it's time to tackle primorduus, but I don't really hold my breath for it.

    Anet started too many threads and either lets them unfinished or wraps them up way too quickly. Maybe Cantha will be a bit more free of that burden.

    Yeah I agree with all of that ^^

    Joko has probably been the best of the returning Gw1 antagonists and I really didn't like the cop out Joko magic makes Aurine invincible thing either.
    I am 100% with you on his monologue too, it's easily the best dialogue moment in Gw2 if you ask me.. so kitten good!

    I expect we will see the Dwarves again after the next expansion.. if things go as I expect them to then Primordus will be the last Elder Dragon after End of Dragons.
    The question will be whether or not Anet take us into the depths of Tyria or not.. I really.. REALLY! hope that they do but considering how much people hated Tangled Depths in HoT.. I have my concerns that we'll never get maps like that again >.< a big shame if you ask me.

    I'm also hoping that the Depths story starts in Cantha too, there's potential there for some really cool Demon lore which Gw1 only briefly touched on with Kanaxai and The Deep.
    Demons have been extremely rare in Gw2, they've only really shown up in Raids and Fractal content and there's one in the main story as well, eater of Souls.
    Imp's and Fleshreavers are also technically demons as well but if anything they are some from of pathetic lesser demons that are hardly deserving of the classification.
    Cantha's Demons don't seem to come from the mists like most others do, they seem to come from deep underground which makes them really interesting to me and it's something I really want to explore during or after End of Dragons ^^

  • Build a wall and make Norn pay for it.