On Map Design — Guild Wars 2 Forums

On Map Design

Hello and thank you for such an amazing patch!

I had an interesting question on map design and the engine that runs it. Throughout Season 4 we have seen that the shapes of the maps have been non-rectangular, allowing for the maps to take a more organic and I believe more immersive shape. Istan, the Sandswept Isles, Kourna, and the Jahai Bluffs have had unique shapes, something even Path of Fire did not have. Has the engine been updated to handle non-rectangular maps or are the maps rectangles that have been "trimmed down" to the proper shape?

Tagged:

Comments

• Maps are always rectangular in actuality. Their playable space can be adjusted via environmental design.

Jon Olson | Programmer
    Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Native Mac

• We have just made an effort to have more organically shaped maps. It is something we talked about often when we talk about map design.

Lead Game Designer with a primary focus on Living World content/story

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

I love that they needn't be squares and such, but leaving a big rock unmappable the middle of Jahai looks terrible, unless I just can't find the way to map it

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• Nash.3974Nash.3974 Member ✭✭✭

@Fenom.9457 said:
    I love that they needn't be squares and such, but leaving a big rock unmappable the middle of Jahai looks terrible, unless I just can't find the way to map it

I agree, it’s so unsatisfying!!!! qq

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Nash.3974 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:

I agree, it’s so unsatisfying!!!! qq

It's one thing if there's a chance it'll be mapped later - the sliver between DoV and Jahai could be a raid or a super long, thin map, whatever. But a rock that sticks into another map will probably never be touched if not now. Even if it's unexplorable, please fill it in on the map!

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.