Mythwright Gambit Raid

Grogba.6204

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Oh, I did some raids, too. Not all were fails ofc. But we also had those evenings when we failed for 3 hours and it wasn't me, since I knew the mechanics, but always one or two who didn't get it. And that's just depressing.

That's intrinsic to the game mode and I'm not sure there is any fix to that. Raids are 10 people (strictly a big number for a game like this but very small for what raids usually present) and the mechanics are bound to penalize players individually and frustrate entire groups due to single player mistakes. Being exp helps with consistency but doesn't stop you from ruining other people's day because your hitbox accidentally lagged into the soul vortex at Dhuum or because Ender's Echo got 3 of you when Dhuum was at 20% HP. Part of the feelings of accomplishment I'd wager actually come from surpassing these issues.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:I would prefer fighting some real threats of Tyria instead of playing in a glorified circus. But maybe Anet can suprise me. Balthasar should have been a raid boss, too.

That wouldn't be a very good idea given how Balthazar was fought by the commander. In Raids they "fix" the commander problem because no NPC, ally or enemy is calling us Commander in there. Instead we are a group of 10 random adventurers. Balthazar is integrated to the story and was beaten by the Commander with the help of Aurene, not by a random adventuring group. Not to mention the obvious problems with not everyone liking Raids and so on, but Story is also an important limiting factor in making these final bosses Raids.

And that was why the story was unepic. A godlike being, celebrated as the God of War and fire and empowered by draining 2 elder dragons back to sleep, was beaten by a mere mortal and a juvenile dragon. Seems totally unplausible and silly to me.

And you think that adding nine more mere mortals (and without a dragon) would suddenly make it more epic and plausible?

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:I would prefer fighting some real threats of Tyria instead of playing in a glorified circus. But maybe Anet can suprise me. Balthasar should have been a raid boss, too.

That wouldn't be a very good idea given how Balthazar was fought by the commander. In Raids they "fix" the commander problem because no NPC, ally or enemy is calling us Commander in there. Instead we are a group of 10 random adventurers. Balthazar is integrated to the story and was beaten by the Commander with the help of Aurene, not by a random adventuring group. Not to mention the obvious problems with not everyone liking Raids and so on, but Story is also an important limiting factor in making these final bosses Raids.

And that was why the story was unepic. A godlike being, celebrated as the God of War and fire and empowered by draining 2 elder dragons back to sleep, was beaten by a mere mortal and a juvenile dragon. Seems totally unplausible and silly to me.

And you think that adding nine more mere mortals (and
without
a dragon) would suddenly make it more epic and plausible?

Not really, but a good bit better. Ideally it would be a 40 man raid + NPCs. It is kinda strange that a lich like Dhuum seems to be truly immortal, while only being empowered by weak human souls and the God of War permanently dies in just one short melee fight. You would think even if you consider him a false god, that all the magic he absorbed would have made him much stronger. He did not even try to heal up at any time during the fight as far as I can remember and his only one shot attack conveniently gets shielded by a dragon much younger than Vlast who was no match to Balthasar.At the very least it should have taken the help of an elder dragon or some of the remaining gods to help in the fight against Balthasar. But no we get this boring 2v1 fight that we should have stood no chance to win at all.And then Aurene just eats Joko while Dhuum still persists chained in the raid. Why not just make a dragon eat him lol. At this point what difference does it make.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

without

Not really, but a good bit better. Ideally it would be a 40 man raid + NPCs. It is kinda strange that a lich like Dhuum seems to be truly immortal, while only being empowered by weak human souls and the God of War permanently dies in just one short melee fight. You would think even if you consider him a false god, that all the magic he absorbed would have made him much stronger. He did not even try to heal up at any time during the fight as far as I can remember and his only one shot attack conveniently gets shielded by a dragon much younger than Vlast who was no match to Balthasar.At the very least it should have taken the help of an elder dragon or some of the remaining gods to help in the fight against Balthasar. But no we get this boring 2v1 fight that we should have stood no chance to win at all.And then Aurene just eats Joko while Dhuum still persists chained in the raid. Why not just make a dragon eat him lol. At this point what difference does it make.

In Gw1, Dhuum was beat with 8 players and of course the reapers too. Technically they were there for Gw2 as well. That being said Dhuum isn’t even actually dead, just like gw1, just contained, which to me helps it sit a bit better.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

without

But Balthazar didn't absorb the all magic of Jormag and Primordius. He got some strenght but we don't know how much. Also Kralkatorrik is present in that fight. It is possible that Aurene is empowered just by the presence of him. Quite possible that we only wound him and Kralkatorrik kills him with the consumption of his energy/essence that gets released.

Dhuum had over 250 years to get back to his strenght. Dhuum is not just a Lich but actually the old god of death. There is no greater power present so we just seal him away once more.

Notice, that 250 years ago killing Abaddon was also much easier than sealing Dhuum. Perhaps the old god of death is simply extremely hard to kill.

Notice also, by the way, that there were gods that were killed before, apparently without the use of armies. Abaddon himself is said to have gained godhood by killing his predecessor. And Balthasar was hardly at his full strength. And, significantly enough, we were using against him a weapon imbued with his own powers, which also should have helped.

Which is all besides the point. If we were talking realism, we should all be dead long ago, and tyria lost to multitude of its enemies, but that would hardly make a good game.

@Malediktus.9250 said:He absorbed enough energy/magic of them to make them go inactive again for a while.They went inactive due to the device that used each others's magic against the other one (which was its original purpose, if you have forgotten). Balthy has just skimmed a bit from the top. We don't know how much, but we do know it wasn't enough to fight with Kralky directly. In fact, it seemed to be still significantly lacking, or he wouldn't need a huge army.

But back to the original topic: haven't got time to see more yet, but at least the first encounter seems really easy once you figure out its mechanics. And those are clear, easy to understand, with no random kitten included.

Qadim last phase, at 2-10% does an aoe that can't be seen, I knew about it from youtube.. If you wouldn't had stability on my heal necro we would be dead! I over healed the whole group so they didn't even notice or seen it! This is a huge problem, many pug group will have real problem with it!Got my first kill today, got manipulate the manipulator! (And I wanted to give 300 MC for first kill so I can play every week, glad it was 700 MC atm)

@LordOtto.2650 said:Qadim last phase, at 2-10% does an aoe that can't be seen, I knew about it from youtube.. If you wouldn't had stability on my heal necro we would be dead! I over healed the whole group so they didn't even notice or seen it! This is a huge problem, many pug group will have real problem with it!

Do you mean the shockwave? The shockwave is decently telegraphed though.

• 4 years later...
On 9/12/2018 at 11:35 AM, Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

More seriously, my Wild Asuran Guess is that it will be like fractals in that it tells an older story: this is how Miyani came to be Zommy's keeper.

It's wild that your crack theory was one of the few in this post to be at least partially correct in the end; the whole raid didn't revolve around how the two met but as is tradition with fractals a randomly placed book describes exactly that (The Four Djinn).