New playable races study - Choose your favorite

Lonami.2987

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As promised, this is the full list of my 3 playable race ideas, designed to be released together with three distinct expansions.

You can read about the first expansion idea here: Guild Wars 2: The Celestial Tournament - Cantha expansion idea. The other two aren't ready yet, but the races (like the elite specializations) have been for some time, so I figured I'd post them already, since I don't know if I'll ever get to finish the other two expansion ideas, and some people were genuinely interested in knowing more about these.

Some of you might argue new playable races aren't viable, because they're too expensive to produce. I don't think that's the case at all, but I don't want to discuss that here. Instead, I'll approach new playable races as a new monetization opportunity, as follows:

• Expansion pack - 30€
  • Race pack - 20€
  • Complete pack - 45€ (Expansion + Race, you save 5€)

The new playable races would be released in standalone 20€ race packs, together with expansion prepurchases, 3-6 months before the actual expansion is released (to help fight the content drought, and later focus 100% on the expansion content instead of leveling up). If it wasn't obvious above, you don't need to buy both, you can buy the race pack and ignore the expansion, or ignore the race pack and only buy the expansion. F2P players who buy a race pack would get their restrictions removed, and unlock both revenant and core masteries.

This approach would let ArenaNet raise expansion prices without alienating players, since they can now choose if they want to pay more for the new feature or not, at the same time justifying the "supposed cost" new playable races would have. Race packs would have deluxe editions as well, including outfits and other bonus items. Gem Store purchase of races would not be an option, but upgrade to deluxe would, much like how expansions work.

Some important points, common for the three race packs:

• The race packs include new zones, which can be accessed by anyone, whether they own their respective race pack or not. All the new zones include an improved new player experience, up to date with the latest game mechanics. New players might be encouraged to visit these zones instead of their natural zones, for a better experience.
  • Each new playable race includes a new Personal Story, from levels 1 to 30, with no branching paths. After level 30, they join the common storyline with the original playable races, eventually getting to lead the Pact and Dragon's Watch. The new playable races are thus introduced in the past, in the beginning of the game, and not at the time of their introduction. All three races were established before these events, and have members who are already part of the story, thus being compatible with the original story.
  • All future armor skins will be compatible with the new character models, but some older armor skins might not be compatible. Only the most important armor skins will be adapted for retroactive usage. Weapon and backpack skins should be compatible by default, already not needing different versions depending on the race using them.
  • Race packs will not include any exclusive features aside from the playable race itself. Complete packs (Expansion + Race) might unlock some expansion features early on, like mounts or even elite specializations, allowing ArenaNet to test them live before the final release, while rewarding loyal consumers with early access.

So yeah, that's it. Let's go with the three race packs.

First race pack - Day of the Tengu

The Tengu are an isolationist race of avian humanoids. For centuries, conflicts with other races took a heavy toll on their numbers, shrinking the extent of their lands and driving them close to extinction. It was then, in their darkest hours, when the Great Tsunami devastated the coasts across the Sea of Sorrows. The tengu saw this as a signal, and amidst the desolation, the clans united against Zhaitan's undead armies and built the walled city of Dominion of Winds. For decades thereafter, they have remained neutral to the conflicts outside their fortress, but the threat of the Elder Dragons grows further each passing day. Soon, the races of Tyria will march to war once again, and the tengu won't be able to weather the storm alone.

Male Tengu at the western gate of Dominion of Winds.

Long ago, the tengu clans were widespread throughout the world, weakened and divided. The Rising of Orr and the Great Tsunami heralded the journey home, to the Dominion of Winds. To fight the armies of Zhaitan, they had to cooperate with one another, and thus the tengu clans unified becoming the four houses - North, South, East, and West, like the winds - allowing them to preserve their unique cultures while unifying as a whole. Each house has a different culture, but all uphold the tengu ideals: Honor, Family, and Tradition.

For a hundred of years since then, the Dominion of Winds has been the home of the tengu. Ruled by their emperor, the dominion remains the only completely tengu-controlled location in the world, last remnant of their fallen empire and last link to their old traditions. Wary of the other races and protective of their own culture, they do not allow anyone but tengu inside the city, and few of them ever leave it. No one bothers them in their dominion, and they do not bother others. Only in times of necessity or for trade do they venture beyond the walls.

However, the path to serenity is fraught with peril, specially in these dark days. If they don't stand together, even the strong will perish when the dragons make their move. Even the tengu, safe inside their walls. And as an old Angchu proverb says, Idle wings attract evil claws. The tengu need to make their own move soon.

Male Tengu working for the Guild Initiative

When you create your tengu character, you will choose which one of the four houses you belong to. The North house gathers the clans from along the Shiverpeak Mountains, stalwart and strong warriors forged in freezing gales atop the highest peaks. West is formed by the clans from the Maguuma Jungle, renown explorers across torrential rains deep into the wilderness. The East house assembles the mystic clans from the faraway Elonian sandstorms, gifted listeners to the secrets whispered by the wind. Finally, South gathers the intrepid sailors of Cantha, riding sea storms across the waves of the Unending Ocean.

Your story begins at the Meridian Isles, a wild archipelago full of dangers, south of your people's home at Dominion of Winds. Here, at the southernmost border of the Sea of Sorrows, you will answer the call to arms against the undead, and reclaim a place of honor for your people in the world and the coming battle against the Elder Dragons. May your ancestors guide your path.

Map of the new tengu zones.

Larger resolution.

The Sea of Sorrows (region), once called the Bay of Sirens, is the body of water in central Tyria. A hundred years ago, the Rising of Orr devastated the human towns across its coasts, including the Krytan capital of Lion's Arch. In due time, the surviving sailors and pirates rebuilt Lion's Arch as a free city, and managed to banish Zhaitan's undead minions and recover control over the sea. While the humans rebuilt, tengu from all around the world saw the disaster as a signal, and traveled back to Tyria, settling in the western coast where they built their new home, the Dominion of Winds. Wary of the other races because of past conflicts, they built a wall surrounding their new lands, staying isolated and neutral to the world outside. However, the undead infest the waters once again, and the influence of the other dragons spreads more and more with each passing day. Some tengu believe they can't ignore the world outside anymore, and so they'll fight, even if it that makes them enemies to their own people.

The capital of the tengu race, the Dominion of Winds (city) is an immense walled fortress, surrounded by sea and mountains in every direction. The tengu have everything they need inside their walls, and seldom leave them. Some merchants venture outside looking to trade their goods, and some brave fishers dare taste the dangerous waters beyond the walls, but most have never seen the outside world, and do not wish to.

Further south, the Meridian Isles (1-15) are the last stop before the Orrian waters. The krait infest these waters, holding one their largest known settlement to the west, and Dead Ships invade from the south constantly, bringing the Risen hordes with them. The zone houses various fishing communities, surviving as best as they can. Recent volcanic activity led to the rising of a new island further south, now called Southsun Cove.

The Bay of Merchants (15-30) lies to the west, at the heart of the Sea of Sorrows. The human kingdom of Kryta and the city-state of Lion's Arch claim part of these waters, the Wizard's Tower and Claw Island dominating the seascape. The only tengu settlement in the zone is a small monastery on the northern coast, marking an ancient burial site for the Caromi tribe. Multiple pirate crews infest the zone, assaulting lonely merchant ships.

Second race pack - Mark of the Largos

The Largos are a secretive race of underwater humanoids, famous for their bounty hunters. Their true origins are a closely guarded secret, and asking too many questions might land a dagger in your back. Those who keep an eye on their movements suspect they might hail from the Isles of Janthir, an out of bounds archipelago in northern Tyria, famous for its treacherous mists, and its fabled connection with the mursaat.

Their mysterious technology and architecture reinforces this theory, though it's unknown whether they are actually related, or they merely adopted their abandoned artifacts. Nevertheless, their contribution to the fight against the dragons, even if tiny in numbers, has proven quite valuable for the rest of Tyria.

Male Largos bounty hunter.

Largos are a rare sight, mostly known for their bounty hunters, who conceal themselves by wearing masks and wings. This popular depiction couldn't be further from the truth. Albeit used to underwater environments, they can't breath underwater, thus the masks, nothing but fancy respirators. The wings are artificial as well, used to maneuver and teleport away to safety, not just to scare their preys. A largos civilian could walk in public, disguised as a human or a sylvari, with almost no one noticing. They take their sinister image and reputation very seriously, as a defense mechanism.

Their skin tones include pale whites, blues, and greens. Facial and body features are sharper than those of humans, norn, and sylvari, but not very different. Noses are still noses, and ears are still ears. Members of their species wear scars with pride, elders having dozens of them all across their bodies. Body earrings are common as well.

Female Largos bounty hunter.

The largos story begins at Alcazia Cape, in the southern coast of Maguuma Jungle, right between Rata Sum and The Grove. This coastal zone is brimming with risen minions, drifting ashore right from Orr, making it a paradise for largos bounty hunters. Asura and sylvari from the nearby cities avoid going too far from the coast, making the zone a no man's land.

The largos have a large hunting post in the zone, called the Black Lodge. New recruits compete against each other in these waters full of risen, only the best being promoted to official bounty hunters. You must rise above the rest and best the training's challenges, less you tarnish the honor of your family.

Once you have the approval of your master, you will be given your own shadow wings, and set free to go and hunt bigger prey.

Map of the new largos zone.

Larger resolution.

Largos have no capital city of their own, using the Black Lodge instead, much like Ebonhawke. Located at the southernmost island of Alcazia Cape, both largos and other races use the lodge to run a black market operation. The lodge is in the middle of risen waters, keeping it safe from unwanted attention. Clients can travel to the lodge safely and discreetly, using an asura gate linked to an undercover fishing village right outside the outskirts of Lion's Arch.

Largos begin their adventure at Alcazia Cape (1-15), where they will fight against the risen, up until they're deemed ready to start their own hunt, and become official bounty hunters.

Their training continues by crossing the lodge's asura gate into the Bay of Merchants (15-30), where krait replace the risen as the biggest game in the water.

Third race pack - Memories of the Barathrum

The Barathrum are the last remnant of the noble dwarven race. To defend the world against Primordus and his destroyers, the last dwarven king carried out the Rite of the Great Dwarf, turning their race into immortal stone warriors. The stone dwarves faced the destroyers, and were vital in preventing Primordus's first awakening, 250 years ago.

However, a heavy toll was paid that day, for the future of their whole race was sacrificed. Unable to bear children anymore, the stone dwarves were condemned to a future of extinction. Knowing the dragon menace had only been delayed, they abandoned their homeland in the Shiverpeak Mountains, and went underground.

Deep below the surface, in the Depths of Tyria, the dwarven race has been fighting against the destroyers for centuries. To replenish their ranks, they started reforging their fallen brothers. The process was far from perfect, and the fallen soldiers lost part of them after every death. Eventually, stone dwarves were no more, and the Barathrum were born.

Male Barathrum during the Battle of Lion's Arch.

The Barathrum are the natural evolution of stone dwarves. Their original stone bodies are no more, having been upgraded with different minerals and metals. Moss and mushrooms grow on their backs, and glowing crystals have grown to replace their hair and beards.

Most of them can't even remember their own names, their whole identity lost in the reforging process. They never forgot how to fight and craft though, and they won't give up easily, taking their war against the dragons to the very surface if necessary.

Ogden Stonehealer, the only known living stone dwarf.

Barathrum begin their story at the ancient past. You'll relieve the Rite of the Great Dwarf, and fall fighting against the Great Destroyer. You'll wake up centuries later, unable to tell memories apart from dreams, as a forgesmith repairs your body for the thousandth time.

You're part of an expedition to the surface. Your group used an ancient asura gate, now collapsed. The expedition leader, your racial mentor, calculates you must be in the Ice Tooth Caverns, right below Anvil's Rock, a sacred site for your people. Legends tell the Great Dwarf himself used this mountain as his personal forge. Your people hopes to find answers to their future here.

First encounters with surface natives have been rough. They crave the gemstones powering your own bodies, seeing your people as nothing more than walking chunks of ore waiting to be mined. Centaurs and dredge plague the zone, but so do destroyers and icebrood. Concealing your identity and finding allies is paramount.

Map of the new barathrum zone.

Larger resolution.

Barathrum have no capital city of their own, using their base at Ice Tooth Caves as their headquarters instead, much like Ebonhawke. The repaired asura gate links their makeshift city to Hoelbrak, where some of them have taken shelter, refurbishing an ancient dwarven outpost below the southwestern mountains. Once the Depths of Tyria expansion is released, this outpost will be upgraded to become a hub of asura gates for the new expansion zones.

Their first zone is Anvil Rock (1-15), where the barathrum players will work together to fortify their new refuge against surface and underground threats alike. This zone can be accessed by anyone, whether they own the race pack or not.

New players will continue their adventures in Snowden Drifts (15-25), joining the rest of the playable races.

Final list of zones and their connections:

• Dominion of Winds (city): Lion's Arch (city), Caledon Forest (1-15), Meridian Isles (1-15), Kessex Hills (15-25), Bay of Merchants (15-30).
  • Meridian Isles (1-15): Dominion of Winds (city), The Grove (city), Bay of Merchants (15-30), Sparkfly Fen (55-65).
  • Bay of Merchants (15-30): Lion's Arch (city), Dominion of Winds (city), Meridian Isles (1-15), Kessex Hills (15-25), Gendarran Fields (25-35), Bloodtide Coast (45-55).
  • Alcazia Cape (1-15): Rata Sum (city), The Grove (city), Metrica Province (1-15), Bay of Merchants (15-30).
  • Anvil Rock (1-15): Hoelbrak (city), Snowden Drifts (15-25), Harathi Hinterlands (35-45), Frostgorge Sound (70-80).

@"otto.5684" said:I think anything outside Tengu is not going to happen. Not to only do they need to have easily accessible animations for all weapons (which Tengu mostly do), you also need a city with access to a leveling areas. We already have Domain of Wind with access to low leveling areas. In addition, the race has to thematically fit in GW2 at lunch, which some of the ones the op mentioned will not.

Majority of the other races will require massive level of development which I do not think will ever happen.

I don't think every single race needs a capital city, that's just a player assumption. One single zone per new race would be more than enough.

The "massive level of development", if true, could always be justified by selling playable races separately.

@Cevlakohn.2165 said:

@"Erasculio.2914" said:

I'd rather they not make skritt a playable race, because then I'd have to delete all my current characters and replace them all with skritt.

Race change services would be potentially available at release, since, well, it's free money for ArenaNet. They can easily charge 1000 gems for it, or upgrade the Identity Repair Kit so you can change your race with it too.

Largos, because we have already studied enough of land-based races during personnal story (exception of quaggans), the largos are the more intriguant and I'm still waiting for a suite for trahearne's largos friend. I don't really care of tengus, those are just birds that hide themselves in their empire of winds. I want more contents, lore etc underwater.

@"Lonami.2987" said:As promised, this is the full list of my 3 playable race ideas, designed to be released together with three distinct expansions.

You can read about the first expansion idea here: Guild Wars 2: The Celestial Tournament - Cantha expansion idea. The other two aren't ready yet, but the races (like the elite specializations) have been for some time, so I figured I'd post them already, since I don't know if I'll ever get to finish the other two expansion ideas, and some people were genuinely interested in knowing more about these.

Some of you might argue new playable races aren't viable, because they're too expensive to produce. I don't think that's the case at all, but I don't want to discuss that here. Instead, I'll approach new playable races as a new monetization opportunity, as follows:

• Expansion pack - 30€
  • Race pack - 20€

The new playable races would be released in standalone 20€ race packs, together with expansion prepurchases, 3-6 months before the actual expansion is released (to help fight the content drought, and later focus 100% on the expansion content instead of leveling up). If it wasn't obvious above, you don't need to buy both, you can buy the race pack and ignore the expansion, or ignore the race pack and only buy the expansion. F2P players who buy a race pack would get their restrictions removed, and unlock both revenant and core masteries.

This approach would let ArenaNet raise expansion prices without alienating players, since they can now choose if they want to pay more for the new feature or not, at the same time justifying the "supposed cost" new playable races would have. Race packs would have deluxe editions as well, including outfits and other bonus items. Gem Store purchase of races would not be an option, but upgrade to deluxe would, much like how expansions work.

• The race packs include new zones, which can be accessed by anyone, whether they own their respective race pack or not. All the new zones include an improved new player experience, up to date with the latest game mechanics. New players might be encouraged to visit these zones instead of their natural zones, for a better experience.
  • Each new playable race includes a new Personal Story, from levels 1 to 30, with no branching paths. After level 30, they join the common storyline with the original playable races, eventually getting to lead the Pact and Dragon's Watch. The new playable races are thus introduced in the past, in the beginning of the game, and not at the time of their introduction. All three races were established before these events, and have members who are already part of the story, thus being compatible with the original story.
  • All future armor skins will be compatible with the new character models, but some older armor skins might not be compatible. Only the most important armor skins will be adapted for retroactive usage. Weapon and backpack skins should be compatible by default, already not needing different versions depending on the race using them.
  • Race packs will not include any exclusive features aside from the playable race itself. Complete packs (Expansion + Race) might unlock some expansion features early on, like mounts or even elite specializations, allowing ArenaNet to test them live before the final release, while rewarding loyal consumers with early access.

The Tengu are an isolationist race of avian humanoids. For centuries, conflicts with other races took a heavy toll on their numbers, shrinking the extent of their lands and driving them close to extinction. It was then, in their darkest hours, when the Great Tsunami devastated the coasts across the Sea of Sorrows. The tengu saw this as a signal, and amidst the desolation, the clans united against Zhaitan's undead armies and built the walled city of Dominion of Winds. For decades thereafter, they have remained neutral to the conflicts outside their fortress, but the threat of the Elder Dragons grows further each passing day. Soon, the races of Tyria will march to war once again, and the tengu won't be able to weather the storm alone.

Male Tengu at the western gate of Dominion of Winds.

Long ago, the tengu clans were widespread throughout the world, weakened and divided. The Rising of Orr and the Great Tsunami heralded the journey home, to the Dominion of Winds. To fight the armies of Zhaitan, they had to cooperate with one another, and thus the tengu clans unified becoming the four houses - North, South, East, and West, like the winds - allowing them to preserve their unique cultures while unifying as a whole. Each house has a different culture, but all uphold the tengu ideals: Honor, Family, and Tradition.

For a hundred of years since then, the Dominion of Winds has been the home of the tengu. Ruled by their emperor, the dominion remains the only completely tengu-controlled location in the world, last remnant of their fallen empire and last link to their old traditions. Wary of the other races and protective of their own culture, they do not allow anyone but tengu inside the city, and few of them ever leave it. No one bothers them in their dominion, and they do not bother others. Only in times of necessity or for trade do they venture beyond the walls.

However, the path to serenity is fraught with peril, specially in these dark days. If they don't stand together, even the strong will perish when the dragons make their move. Even the tengu, safe inside their walls. And as an old Angchu proverb says, Idle wings attract evil claws. The tengu need to make their own move soon.

Male Tengu working for the Guild Initiative

When you create your tengu character, you will choose which one of the four houses you belong to. The North house gathers the clans from along the Shiverpeak Mountains, stalwart and strong warriors forged in freezing gales atop the highest peaks. West is formed by the clans from the Maguuma Jungle, renown explorers across torrential rains deep into the wilderness. The East house assembles the mystic clans from the faraway Elonian sandstorms, gifted listeners to the secrets whispered by the wind. Finally, South gathers the intrepid sailors of Cantha, riding sea storms across the waves of the Unending Ocean.

Your story begins at the Meridian Isles, a wild archipelago full of dangers, south of your people's home at Dominion of Winds. Here, at the southernmost border of the Sea of Sorrows, you will answer the call to arms against the undead, and reclaim a place of honor for your people in the world and the coming battle against the Elder Dragons. May your ancestors guide your path.

Larger resolution.

The Sea of Sorrows (region), once called the Bay of Sirens, is the body of water in central Tyria. A hundred years ago, the Rising of Orr devastated the human towns across its coasts, including the Krytan capital of Lion's Arch. In due time, the surviving sailors and pirates rebuilt Lion's Arch as a free city, and managed to banish Zhaitan's undead minions and recover control over the sea. While the humans rebuilt, tengu from all around the world saw the disaster as a signal, and traveled back to Tyria, settling in the western coast where they built their new home, the Dominion of Winds. Wary of the other races because of past conflicts, they built a wall surrounding their new lands, staying isolated and neutral to the world outside. However, the undead infest the waters once again, and the influence of the other dragons spreads more and more with each passing day. Some tengu believe they can't ignore the world outside anymore, and so they'll fight, even if it that makes them enemies to their own people.

The capital of the tengu race, the Dominion of Winds (city) is an immense walled fortress, surrounded by sea and mountains in every direction. The tengu have everything they need inside their walls, and seldom leave them. Some merchants venture outside looking to trade their goods, and some brave fishers dare taste the dangerous waters beyond the walls, but most have never seen the outside world, and do not wish to.

Further south, the Meridian Isles (1-15) are the last stop before the Orrian waters. The krait infest these waters, holding one their largest known settlement to the west, and Dead Ships invade from the south constantly, bringing the Risen hordes with them. The zone houses various fishing communities, surviving as best as they can. Recent volcanic activity led to the rising of a new island further south, now called Southsun Cove.

The Bay of Merchants (15-30) lies to the west, at the heart of the Sea of Sorrows. The human kingdom of Kryta and the city-state of Lion's Arch claim part of these waters, the Wizard's Tower and Claw Island dominating the seascape. The only tengu settlement in the zone is a small monastery on the northern coast, marking an ancient burial site for the Caromi tribe. Multiple pirate crews infest the zone, assaulting lonely merchant ships.

The Largos are a secretive race of underwater humanoids, famous for their bounty hunters. Their true origins are a closely guarded secret, and asking too many questions might land a dagger in your back. Those who keep an eye on their movements suspect they might hail from the Isles of Janthir, an out of bounds archipelago in northern Tyria, famous for its treacherous mists, and its fabled connection with the mursaat.

Their mysterious technology and architecture reinforces this theory, though it's unknown whether they are actually related, or they merely adopted their abandoned artifacts. Nevertheless, their contribution to the fight against the dragons, even if tiny in numbers, has proven quite valuable for the rest of Tyria.

Male Largos bounty hunter.

Largos are a rare sight, mostly known for their bounty hunters, who conceal themselves by wearing masks and wings. This popular depiction couldn't be further from the truth. Albeit used to underwater environments, they can't breath underwater, thus the masks, nothing but fancy respirators. The wings are artificial as well, used to maneuver and teleport away to safety, not just to scare their preys. A largos civilian could walk in public, disguised as a human or a sylvari, with almost no one noticing. They take their sinister image and reputation very seriously, as a defense mechanism.

Their skin tones include pale whites, blues, and greens. Facial and body features are sharper than those of humans, norn, and sylvari, but not very different. Noses are still noses, and ears are still ears. Members of their species wear scars with pride, elders having dozens of them all across their bodies. Body earrings are common as well.

Female Largos bounty hunter.

The largos story begins at Alcazia Cape, in the southern coast of Maguuma Jungle, right between Rata Sum and The Grove. This coastal zone is brimming with risen minions, drifting ashore right from Orr, making it a paradise for largos bounty hunters. Asura and sylvari from the nearby cities avoid going too far from the coast, making the zone a no man's land.

The largos have a large hunting post in the zone, called the Black Lodge. New recruits compete against each other in these waters full of risen, only the best being promoted to official bounty hunters. You must rise above the rest and best the training's challenges, less you tarnish the honor of your family.

Once you have the approval of your master, you will be given your own shadow wings, and set free to go and hunt bigger prey.

Larger resolution.

Largos have no capital city of their own, using the Black Lodge instead, much like Ebonhawke. Located at the southernmost island of Alcazia Cape, both largos and other races use the lodge to run a black market operation. The lodge is in the middle of risen waters, keeping it safe from unwanted attention. Clients can travel to the lodge safely and discreetly, using an asura gate linked to an undercover fishing village right outside the outskirts of Lion's Arch.

Largos begin their adventure at Alcazia Cape (1-15), where they will fight against the risen, up until they're deemed ready to start their own hunt, and become official bounty hunters.

Their training continues by crossing the lodge's asura gate into the Bay of Merchants (15-30), where krait replace the risen as the biggest game in the water.

The Barathrum are the last remnant of the noble dwarven race. To defend the world against Primordus and his destroyers, the last dwarven king carried out the Rite of the Great Dwarf, turning their race into immortal stone warriors. The stone dwarves faced the destroyers, and were vital in preventing Primordus's first awakening, 250 years ago.

However, a heavy toll was paid that day, for the future of their whole race was sacrificed. Unable to bear children anymore, the stone dwarves were condemned to a future of extinction. Knowing the dragon menace had only been delayed, they abandoned their homeland in the Shiverpeak Mountains, and went underground.

Deep below the surface, in the Depths of Tyria, the dwarven race has been fighting against the destroyers for centuries. To replenish their ranks, they started reforging their fallen brothers. The process was far from perfect, and the fallen soldiers lost part of them after every death. Eventually, stone dwarves were no more, and the Barathrum were born.

Male Barathrum during the Battle of Lion's Arch.

The Barathrum are the natural evolution of stone dwarves. Their original stone bodies are no more, having been upgraded with different minerals and metals. Moss and mushrooms grow on their backs, and glowing crystals have grown to replace their hair and beards.

Most of them can't even remember their own names, their whole identity lost in the reforging process. They never forgot how to fight and craft though, and they won't give up easily, taking their war against the dragons to the very surface if necessary.

Ogden Stonehealer, the only known living stone dwarf.

Barathrum begin their story at the ancient past. You'll relieve the Rite of the Great Dwarf, and fall fighting against the Great Destroyer. You'll wake up centuries later, unable to tell memories apart from dreams, as a forgesmith repairs your body for the thousandth time.

You're part of an expedition to the surface. Your group used an ancient asura gate, now collapsed. The expedition leader, your racial mentor, calculates you must be in the Ice Tooth Caverns, right below Anvil's Rock, a sacred site for your people. Legends tell the Great Dwarf himself used this mountain as his personal forge. Your people hopes to find answers to their future here.

First encounters with surface natives have been rough. They crave the gemstones powering your own bodies, seeing your people as nothing more than walking chunks of ore waiting to be mined. Centaurs and dredge plague the zone, but so do destroyers and icebrood. Concealing your identity and finding allies is paramount.

Larger resolution.

Barathrum have no capital city of their own, using their base at Ice Tooth Caves as their headquarters instead, much like Ebonhawke. The repaired asura gate links their makeshift city to Hoelbrak, where some of them have taken shelter, refurbishing an ancient dwarven outpost below the southwestern mountains. Once the Depths of Tyria expansion is released, this outpost will be upgraded to become a hub of asura gates for the new expansion zones.

Their first zone is Anvil Rock (1-15), where the barathrum players will work together to fortify their new refuge against surface and underground threats alike. This zone can be accessed by anyone, whether they own the race pack or not.

New players will continue their adventures in Snowden Drifts (15-25), joining the rest of the playable races.

• Dominion of Winds (city): Lion's Arch (city), Caledon Forest (1-15), Meridian Isles (1-15), Kessex Hills (15-25), Bay of Merchants (15-30).
  • Meridian Isles (1-15): Dominion of Winds (city), The Grove (city), Bay of Merchants (15-30), Sparkfly Fen (55-65).
  • Bay of Merchants (15-30): Lion's Arch (city), Dominion of Winds (city), Meridian Isles (1-15), Kessex Hills (15-25), Gendarran Fields (25-35), Bloodtide Coast (45-55).
  • Alcazia Cape (1-15): Rata Sum (city), The Grove (city), Metrica Province (1-15), Bay of Merchants (15-30).
  • Anvil Rock (1-15): Hoelbrak (city), Snowden Drifts (15-25), Harathi Hinterlands (35-45), Frostgorge Sound (70-80).

@"otto.5684" said:I think anything outside Tengu is not going to happen. Not to only do they need to have easily accessible animations for all weapons (which Tengu mostly do), you also need a city with access to a leveling areas. We already have Domain of Wind with access to low leveling areas. In addition, the race has to thematically fit in GW2 at lunch, which some of the ones the op mentioned will not.

Majority of the other races will require massive level of development which I do not think will ever happen.

I don't think every single race needs a capital city, that's just a player assumption. One single zone per new race would be more than enough.

The "massive level of development", if true, could always be justified by selling playable races separately.

@"Erasculio.2914" said:

I'd rather they not make skritt a playable race, because then I'd have to delete all my current characters and replace them all with skritt.

Race change services would be potentially available at release, since, well, it's free money for ArenaNet. They can easily charge 1000 gems for it, or upgrade the
so you can change your race with it too.

the more i read this the more i find wrong with it

@derd.6413 said:the more i read this the more i find wrong with itYeah, I got sketch around the price permutations (if going with the proposal, just leave race packs entirely separate), but I stopped ready completely after giving voice to the Waterdrow. Blegh. I'd probably drop GW2 altogether if edgelord athathins became playable. The RP in DR would be so much worse!

@derd.6413 said:

@Lonami.2987 said:As promised, this is the full list of my 3 playable race ideas, designed to be released together with three distinct expansions.

You can read about the first expansion idea here:
. The other two aren't ready yet, but the races (
) have been for some time, so I figured I'd post them already, since I don't know if I'll ever get to finish the other two expansion ideas, and some people were genuinely interested in knowing more about these.

• Expansion pack - 30€
  • Race pack - 20€

The
Sea of Sorrows (region)
, once called the Bay of Sirens, is the body of water in central Tyria. A hundred years ago, the Rising of Orr devastated the human towns across its coasts, including the Krytan capital of Lion's Arch. In due time, the surviving sailors and pirates rebuilt Lion's Arch as a free city, and managed to banish Zhaitan's undead minions and recover control over the sea. While the humans rebuilt, tengu from all around the world saw the disaster as a signal, and traveled back to Tyria, settling in the western coast where they built their new home, the Dominion of Winds. Wary of the other races because of past conflicts, they built a wall surrounding their new lands, staying isolated and neutral to the world outside. However, the undead infest the waters once again, and the influence of the other dragons spreads more and more with each passing day. Some tengu believe they can't ignore the world outside anymore, and so they'll fight, even if it that makes them enemies to their own people.

The capital of the tengu race, the
Dominion of Winds (city)
is an immense walled fortress, surrounded by sea and mountains in every direction. The tengu have everything they need inside their walls, and seldom leave them. Some merchants venture outside looking to trade their goods, and some brave fishers dare taste the dangerous waters beyond the walls, but most have never seen the outside world, and do not wish to.

Further south, the
Meridian Isles (1-15)
are the last stop before the Orrian waters. The krait infest these waters, holding one their largest known settlement to the west, and Dead Ships invade from the south constantly, bringing the Risen hordes with them. The zone houses various fishing communities, surviving as best as they can. Recent volcanic activity led to the rising of a new island further south, now called Southsun Cove.

The
Bay of Merchants (15-30)
lies to the west, at the heart of the Sea of Sorrows. The human kingdom of Kryta and the city-state of Lion's Arch claim part of these waters, the Wizard's Tower and Claw Island dominating the seascape. The only tengu settlement in the zone is a small monastery on the northern coast, marking an ancient burial site for the Caromi tribe. Multiple pirate crews infest the zone, assaulting lonely merchant ships.

Largos begin their adventure at
Alcazia Cape (1-15)
, where they will fight against the risen, up until they're deemed ready to start their own hunt, and become official bounty hunters.

Their training continues by crossing the lodge's asura gate into the
Bay of Merchants (15-30)
, where krait replace the risen as the biggest game in the water.

Their first zone is
Anvil Rock (1-15)
, where the barathrum players will work together to fortify their new refuge against surface and underground threats alike. This zone can be accessed by anyone, whether they own the race pack or not.

New players will continue their adventures in
Snowden Drifts (15-25)
, joining the rest of the playable races.

• Dominion of Winds (city):
    Lion's Arch (city), Caledon Forest (1-15), Meridian Isles (1-15), Kessex Hills (15-25), Bay of Merchants (15-30).
  • Meridian Isles (1-15):
    Dominion of Winds (city), The Grove (city), Bay of Merchants (15-30), Sparkfly Fen (55-65).
  • Bay of Merchants (15-30):
    Lion's Arch (city), Dominion of Winds (city), Meridian Isles (1-15), Kessex Hills (15-25), Gendarran Fields (25-35), Bloodtide Coast (45-55).
  • Alcazia Cape (1-15):
    Rata Sum (city), The Grove (city), Metrica Province (1-15), Bay of Merchants (15-30).
  • Anvil Rock (1-15):
    Hoelbrak (city), Snowden Drifts (15-25), Harathi Hinterlands (35-45), Frostgorge Sound (70-80).

@"Erasculio.2914" said:

Race change services would be potentially available at release, since, well, it's free money for ArenaNet. They can easily charge 1000 gems for it, or upgrade the
so you can change your race with it too.

the more i read this the more i find wrong with it

Mind elaborating? :disappointed:

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@derd.6413 said:the more i read this the more i find wrong with itYeah, I got sketch around the price permutations (if going with the proposal, just leave race packs entirely separate), but I stopped ready completely after giving voice to the Waterdrow. Blegh. I'd probably drop GW2 altogether if edgelord athathins became playable. The RP in DR would be so much worse!

Like it or not, they're the second most popular potential race in the polls.

Largos are here to stay.

@Bast Bow.2958 said:@Lonami.2987

Hey man, I’m really loving your ideas again! Really inspiring! Was hoping to hear from you again after the new specialisations ideas. Hopefully Anet and the majority of the gw2 population feel likewise, I could see most people (not only active forum-members) would like to see this.

Glad you like them =).

%22Delta_Djinn%22_concept_art_2.jpg

^ Don't know how to show just the image (would be helpful if there was a topic on how to do this), with this new forum layout. The picture is from the guild wars 2 wiki anyway.

I'd like to see Djinn as a playable race - with multiple arms, different coloured skins to choose from (like the sylvari), and various textured skin patterns and styles.

Simply because I'm sick of the same old, boring 'let's have another furry race'. YAWN. I don't care about skritt - they're just giant, fugly rats. I don't care about Tengu either - they're just hunchbacked birds, and we already have the kodan combat tonic, so we can already play as a kodan - albeit not permanently, but it's still an option (and is also, another 'furry' race - yawn!). I want something DIFFERENT and UNIQUE, like djinn. Even Margonites would be awesome.

It won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

I don't think every single race needs a capital city, that's just a player assumption. One single zone per new race would be more than enough.The OP seems to think that removing a single map from the concept is going to change this from "too big to consider" to "just right." It isn't just about the one-time costs, it's also about all the future costs: 10 new voice actors for every episode and expac, three new armor sets, new QA protocols for skills & weapon animations, new considerations for dialogue variations, balancing new racial skills.

The "massive level of development", if true, could always be justified by selling playable races separately.They have told us (and the OP has participated in the relevant threads) that the costs, both one time and ongoing, outweigh the potential revenue. And, more important, that this requires using resources that are already tapped for existing projects, such as Living World.

Race change services would be potentially available at release, since, well, it's free money for ArenaNet. They can easily charge 1000 gems for it, or upgrade the Identity Repair Kit so you can change your race with it too.They have told us (and the OP has also participated in the relevant threads) that this isn't free money because the infrastructure doesn't exist to support it. They'd have to reinvent the personal story (among other things). 1000 gems wouldn't come close to paying for it.

I really like playing different races. Especially in this game, because the lore is rich, the animations are incredibly detailed and thorough, the storylines are (mostly) entertaining, the differences in looks (and skins) adds a lot to my gameplay. But all of that also makes it unrealistic to add even one new race, unless they do that instead of all their other story & skin plans.

Given that a game can't do everything, I'd rather see more of what they are already doing, than to have them change direction to focus on new playable races.

It would be so cool to play a skritt or a quaggan... But not as a main alt, but as some secondary characters. You could have five quests where you convince your race to join the fight with the dragon and you could explore the world and have special interactions with the members of your species as you recruit them. All races would have basic npc builds and would be less powerful and customizable than "real" pcs. Still it would make Tyria interesting again as you explore it under a new angle.

There won't be new race. And if, on heavy demand of angry customers and all planets aligned, it would be a "look alike" race, like human/sylvari.Because it would be too much work to adapt all skins and outfits to a new model.

But Tengu.Or at least a map in the Dominion of Winds city, with new tengu friend when Taimi will die. Tengu were too long forgotten.

@"Zaoda.1653" said:%22Delta_Djinn%22_concept_art_2.jpg

^ Don't know how to show just the image (would be helpful if there was a topic on how to do this), with this new forum layout. The picture is from the guild wars 2 wiki anyway.

I'd like to see Djinn as a playable race - with multiple arms, different coloured skins to choose from (like the sylvari), and various textured skin patterns and styles.

Simply because I'm sick of the same old, boring 'let's have another furry race'. YAWN. I don't care about skritt - they're just giant, fugly rats. I don't care about Tengu either - they're just hunchbacked birds, and we already have the kodan combat tonic, so we can already play as a kodan - albeit not permanently, but it's still an option (and is also, another 'furry' race - yawn!). I want something DIFFERENT and UNIQUE, like djinn. Even Margonites would be awesome.

It won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

I think that's where dwarves will be going to, if we ever get them as playable. Just like sylvari are plant-based, stone dwarves would be mineral-based, letting you use different types of rocks for their bodies, inscribed with runes, covered in moss, etc.

@Ardid.7203 said:There are so many reasons playable Largos are a terrible idea.

Mind writing them out?

@Sazukikrah.5036 said:@Lonami.2987 The only reason they would not make a new race at least for this game (if they make gw3 maybe... but gw2 ... nah ) ; there are so many armor skins and dye channels they would have to make. If any thing they will just give you a permanent Tengu Tonic with Charr animations.

Why? Just disable the old armor sets and outfits. No MMO has ever retrofitted all the older skins for the new playable races. In GW1, paragons and dervishes have no Canthan elite armor of their own.

@"Jarl Petter Hinrik.1409" said:It would be so cool to play a skritt or a quaggan... But not as a main alt, but as some secondary characters. You could have five quests where you convince your race to join the fight with the dragon and you could explore the world and have special interactions with the members of your species as you recruit them. All races would have basic npc builds and would be less powerful and customizable than "real" pcs. Still it would make Tyria interesting again as you explore it under a new angle.

Yeah, could work fine in some story mission or a fractal.

@Lonami.2987 said:

@Ardid.7203 said:There are so many reasons playable Largos are a terrible idea.

Mind writing them out?

I've done it many times, and I'm tired, so please forgive me if I just quote myself.

@Ardid.7203 said:IMO, while the game is clearly oriented to "heroics", IMO it is much more oriented to Fashion Wars. This includes the imagined personality of your own main character. So you can make a feisty silvary, a gloomy asura, a menacing human or a suave charr. Or whatever combination you want. If you want a shining paladin, you can make it with any of the races. If you want a gray anti-hero, you can make it with any of the races.

That is the main problem with Largos, Drows or any group that is, by default, forced into a single stereotype. Put a Largos on land, and you lose half what makes them interesting. Change them into a frilly robe, and you lose another 25%. Now make such robe chick yellow, and bam, you've lost 95% of what makes a Largos a Largos.Go back to the beggining. Put your Largos in water, with its black leather on and its dangerous voice. Now take that mask off. You have now a wet human with a funny backpack and cool clothes. Bye bye 100% of Largosness in just one stroke.

Stereotypes doesn't make good characters, but they are even worse for making races.

@Ardid.7203 said:What about:"Not too similar to what we have" = Kodan out for Norn lookalikes. Largos only difference from humans are their clothes and fins, so out too."Not too generic, single-thematic or cliché" = Largos would need a lot of work to escape from this one."Not crashing with customization elements Anet need to monetize in the gemstore" = Largos totally bye bye.

@Ardid.7203 said:Why so many people like Largos is beyond my understanding. They are just pale human with black breathers, SM clothes and an oversized gemstore backpack, who try to pass as mysterious and menacing by actually don't saying anything and being always alone or hidden.

How would you customize a Largos? How would you put a normal backpack on them?Would they have an actual face now, or will always have those masks on them? If that's the case, how would you adapt the rest of the face-gear to them?If you customize a Largos the same way as a human, what would be the difference, if any?How would you justify a Largos being socially active and on the open? Would they dance, sing and use all the stupid magic-boxes? How could them continue to be mysterious if they began to delve in silly Rata Sum parties? Would they still be interesting with violet hair, pink clothes and the dreamer?

IMO Largos are only interesting for what we DON'T know of them, and the moment you remove their uninspired aqua-drow surface there will be nothing underneath.

@Ardid.7203 said:One of the reasons many people liked GW2 in the first place is because the playable races (species!) in the game world feel much more distinct and consistent than the typical copy-paste other franchises use and abuse. All I hope is for Anet to keep going in its own more detailed and dedicated path instead of joining the lame half work that is so usual in the market. That is why I don't believe Largos to be a good option for a playable race: the only merit they can offer is to be extremely cheap to implement. 98% humans, 2% ears, nothing truly remarkable or special. Everything unique on them would have to be removed to make them playable!

@Ardid.7203 said:Kodan are too close to the Norn to be considered interesting in any way. Even if they weren't so redundant, they are just the perfect example of "just a human with animal head" that cheap and boring fantasy uses all the time trying to cover its lack of any real creativity.And frankly, their "wisdom"...Most of what Kodan say are meaningless pseudo-mystic cliches taken directly form a patchouli organic shampoo commercial...

And Largos... were to begin?Largos are basically a pale humanoid with close fit black clothes, a mask, long ears and black butterfly wings. And they are "mysterious". In other words, Largos are a shallow, token placeholder for something that isn't there.Figure: they are just human rigs. What's the addition to enrich the game?Mask: they don't have a facial design, or even expressions. But their masks are crucial to their design... Take their mask off and people might even stop liking them, because they will stop being so "mysterious". Also, how will you customize them? A mask over a mask?Ears: so they are elven like. Why there must always be elves? Tyria don't need elves. Please don´t.Wings: Lets say the wings are part of their anatomy. Then they will ALWAYS clip with weapons and backpacks and everything. Lets say they are NOT part of their anatomy. Then they are nothing more than humans in scuba catsuits. Whats is the point with a race then? A "Largos armor set"would have the same impact. Even an outfit would.Culture: "We keep our secrets". "We work alone". "We compete with other assassin clans". "We don't talk much". "We are mysterious". "We wear black, and backstab things" "we live in he dark under water" ... If they become a race they will be breaking lore every single minute a player uses it: Imagine a group of Largos, colorful in their half naked fluffy pink buttcaps, jumping around in their clipping ugly-cloth gliders and tropical bird wings while shooting rainbow unicorns against a giant lava golem while inside a volcano. I know norn mustachios, sylvari mushroom heads and charr saijan manes have some similar effect... but IMO with Largos it would simply destroy whatever little they had of respectable in the first place. Because they are so cliche, they don't have anything besides being fishy bondage fetishists.

So... please.No more elves, no more black, no more emo solitary assasins. Please, keep GW2 original. No wings over wings. No aquadrows.And if Anet ever needs a new playable water dwelling race to fight against Steve I really hope they choose the Quaggans: I prefer cute rabid manatees over emo drowned Drizzt cosplayers, any day of the week.

Anet have shown in their previous playable race designs to be far superior and more committed to make truly unique, detailed and believable species than almost any other MMO. Largos conflicts with this philosophy from the beginning, because they have exactly the same base as humans, and nothing to differentiate them except very superficial things that don't play well with the rest of the game:

• Largos need to be aquatic to be Largos. But 90% of the game happen to be in dry earth.
  • Largos need masks to be Largos. But masks don't allow facial expressions, and conflict with headgear.
  • Largos needs back fins to be Largos. But back fins conflict with backpacks.
  • Largos need white hair to be Largos. But white hair conflicts with free customization.
  • Largos need pale skin to be Largos. But pale skin also conflicts with free customization.
  • Largos need to be edgy to be Largos. But to be edgy conflicts with 80% of fashion wars and mmo culture.
  • Largos need to be mysterious to be Largos. But to be mysterious conflicts with being the protagonist of a cheesy mmo.
  • Largos need to be distinct from other races to be Largos. But making them playable makes them just humans with pointy ears.

Most of these are just cosmetic. But so are Largos, because they are nothing more than a cool but very shallow cliché, with very little to offer and many elements that conflict directly with playability and, even worse, with monetization.