World Restructuring Update 1

@fizzypetal.7936 said:We are a PvX guild on SFR with 35 members on the roster. Some of them have been AWOL for many months, others have zero interest in WvW. A handful of us, 3-5 at most, play WvW. 1 of those 3 is on Desolation and is also part of a much larger WvW guild. We've been looking forward to Alliances so that we could WvW with our friend.

If the overall guild size factors into WvW Alliances, how will it take into account guilds where only a fraction of the players are active in WvW?

I wanted to mark our guild as WvW because we have the majority of the Guild Hall WvW upgrades completed, but based on the information I've read so far, I'm not so sure I should. We want to continue rep'ing our own guild in WvW and use our guild WvW items -can we do that, without tagging ourselves as an alliance, and still WvW with our friend (rather than against which is how it is now) so long as he is also rep'ing our guild?

1. Alliances are a party of guilds used for the purpose of creating the new wvw worlds.
  2. You mark your guild as the wvw one, and others in your guild need to do the same and mark that same guild as their wvw guild, so that you all can be placed in the same world at the time of creation.
  3. If any member does not mark that guild as the wvw one, or are away from the game for that period, they will be randomly placed in the worlds, chance it may be in the same as the guild, chance it may not. (They can still rep your guild at any time, this is not affected at all.)
  4. During the 8 week period of the new worlds anyone can change the guild they want marked as their wvw guild, at the end of the 8 weeks when the worlds are recreated again, players who chose the same guilds, and guilds in the same alliance, will be placed in the same world. Transfers will also still be available if you need to move during a season, but we do not know with what restrictions.
  5. Everything you can do currently with guilds stays the same, you can rep whomever in wvw after creation, none of that changes. Again the alliance factor only comes into effect when the worlds are created and are trying to place guilds in alliances in the same world, beyond that wvw plays exactly as we have it today. To simplify it's the same thing as placing your party in the same instance of a pve zone, only it's doing it for guilds in wvw world creation, if I wasn't in your party there's a chance wouldn't zone into the same zone your party is in due to other factors.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Meetshield.1756" said:The dev's have painted a WvW nirvana that is not going to happen. The best thing you can hope for in WvW is to be apart of a good guild, play with your friends, and enjoy the hours you have together on whatever server your on. The problems with WvW have more to do with the class balances than they do with the server balances.

The best thing that can happen is that timezones are finally not an issue. For instance, the german servers all face the issue of player shortage, at certain times.When the evening turns into late night and even dedicated WvWers have to go to sleep, the french servers remain strong, likely because enough Quebec players like to play on EU servers and can pick up where the metropolitáine has had to leave.This is even more noticeable with the spanish speakers, though I guess most of the american spanish speakers play on the NA servers, (and we might be getting reinforcements from german-brazilians? )

But with a system, that ensures timezones with largely equal activity get matched against one another, this would go a long way to prevent you from going to bed with the entire map red, only to come back the next morning to a green map, because all the defenders had to sleep, while the attackers came out of their bed.

The heavy loot bag, exotic champ bags from lords, and rank up chests all need a redo. As well there needs to be events when defending or going on the offense that scale up so that when the battles are over there is a way to reward players based on that instead of the current system where they throw 20 silver at you for playing for an hour. Also be able to upgrade guilds for smaller havoc sized ones and even large ones based off WvW accomplishments. The last thing I would suggest is changing those skirmish rewards to tabs based on WvW rank so you can give more rewards without destroying the economy and more incentive for those to go ranking up in eotm. Especially since the current system does not even pay for half of siege costs or the food costs.

As they say you gotta go pve to support your wvw habit.

@Klypto.1703 said:The heavy loot bag, exotic champ bags from lords, and rank up chests all need a redo. As well there needs to be events when defending or going on the offense that scale up so that when the battles are over there is a way to reward players based on that instead of the current system where they throw 20 silver at you for playing for an hour. Also be able to upgrade guilds for smaller havoc sized ones and even large ones based off WvW accomplishments. The last thing I would suggest is changing those skirmish rewards to tabs based on WvW rank so you can give more rewards without destroying the economy and more incentive for those to go ranking up in eotm. Especially since the current system does not even pay for half of siege costs or the food costs.

As they say you gotta go pve to support your wvw habit.

Which is all fine and well, but totally outside the discussion of this thread.

We are slowly moving into the period for which many expected the new alliance system. So far nothing new comes from you after an intermediate update. that worries me, honestly. Especially because I'm constantly listening to reddit and speculations about GW3 and I'm beginning to think that there won't be a major change to gw2 anymore, even less to a seemingly unpopular system like the wvw. it would be really nice if you'd play more open cards for me, because honestly, I'm slowly getting out.

Too much living story, very slow work on everything WvW related...

In the meanwhile please give us at least a Guild vs. Guild system, based on the sPvP that you already have; just for teams of 10-15 instead of 5, and without the infamous "capture point" focus, but Death Match or King of the Hill, on any empty map (so "no valid path to target" won't exist).

The WvW in current state is more PvE than PvP, cap this and that... just like that, no reason why to cap at all, sometimes to get in a better matchup where no longer is needed to cap things... That makes sense? This WvW has nothing worth fighting for anymore. Do you think is healthy to keep it in this state for so long?

Anyone at management cares for this game mode? Yes, this is the most stupid question. It's not like it isn't obvious, but from down here, player level, it isn't. Any streaming sessions where we can see the WvW team hard at work, like some other companies do? Not that I want to watch it, but at this point even the existence of any WvW team seems a myth, or they are working on something else?No pressure though. It's not like we aren't having fun sometimes, just "lately" the fun part is extremely rare.

@"Tiawal.2351" said:Too much living story, very slow work on everything WvW related...

In the meanwhile please give us at least a Guild vs. Guild system, based on the sPvP that you already have; just for teams of 10-15 instead of 5, and without the infamous "capture point" focus, but Death Match or King of the Hill, on any empty map (so "no valid path to target" won't exist).

The WvW in current state is more PvE than PvP, cap this and that... just like that, no reason why to cap at all, sometimes to get in a better matchup where no longer is needed to cap things... That makes sense? This WvW has nothing worth fighting for anymore. Do you think is healthy to keep it in this state for so long?

Anyone at management cares for this game mode? Yes, this is the most stupid question. It's not like it isn't obvious, but from down here, player level, it isn't. Any streaming sessions where we can see the WvW team hard at work, like some other companies do? Not that I want to watch it, but at this point even the existence of any WvW team seems a myth, or they are working on something else?No pressure though. It's not like we aren't having fun sometimes, just "lately" the fun part is extremely rare.

This is now a ded gamemode. Only Casual pve players are coming for skin and loots, all WvW has lost its sense and objectives.

Sustainable Long-Term Communities & Healthy Competitive Match-Ups

WvW after all these years...still has so much potential at being the next eSport equivalent of the NFL SuperBowl...imho

Decisions made in the past & being made now will either allow it to happen, or further deny the WvW game mode from ever having a chance to evolve into this dream.

The WvW game mode really needs a vision that encourages sustainable long-term player communities while engaging players to return for its healthy competitive match-ups.

Yours truly,Diku

p.s.See some of my past posts...please vote Helpful or Thumbs up if you agree.

If I may be honest, guilds who are already forming "simulated alliances" and moving from server to server have already proven that an alliance system will not work, as it will be easier to manipulate the matchups and who they face in the future as well. I get this is for "population balance" but truth hurts when the reality is its more to make an attempt at matchup manipulation it seems, and have to be honest you can't fix that. There will still be population issues no matter how you slice it, at the end of the day getting rid of all the servers and cutting it down into a dry cut us region and EU region isn't motivating and as an avid wvw player honestly is like a slap in the face taking away the server i call home and have pride for, linking was a good slap in the face as it is but this one will be a major slap, Turning WvW into an Edge of the mists concept where if you really want to play with your friends welp better make sure your in there guild, well guess what I have alot of friends on darkhaven from guilds all over the server and I basically won't get to play with a good chunk of them because of this poorly planned idea. The Alliance system is not the answer it is only the end and the death of a game mode that people enjoy, congrats on a nail in the coffin idea but at this point this isn't a paranoia viewpoint this is reality viewpoint to be delusional as to what this end result will be is kinda sad. Longtivity is created through players voting for a system they would prefer and or enjoy, not one just scribble up on a piece of paper by a developer and calling it good and done, thats not how games work or become successful or even last long, good companies like Jagex, Blizzard and many more like the creators of Everquest and there plenty more I could list the reason they last and have lasted is because they listen to there players input. So please Anet stop just pushing this along, let us the WvW players vote on this, Let us WvW players decide which direction we want our gamemode to go, because yea you wrote the script and the code but we play it daily and honestly probably know better as to where it needs to go and what needs to happen to make it last longer and make it better, and I can tell you personally scrapping worlds into the trash bin isn't one of them.

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:Is there any new update of when this will be implemented?Players in my server are leaving in numbers and we are starting to struggle in fielding players.

I agree, this game is getting more and more dead in wvw each day, each week. We have been obliged to move on to other games because theres continually no updates, no changes.The only time people come out are during these wvw event weekends.sigh

@Ultima.5318 said:

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:Is there any new update of when this will be implemented?Players in my server are leaving in numbers and we are starting to struggle in fielding players.

I agree, this game is getting more and more dead in wvw each day, each week. We have been obliged to move on to other games because theres continually no updates, no changes.The only time people come out are during these wvw event weekends.
sigh

a Big part will be PvE Casual players will come in mass during this event for bonus rewardtrack and WvW exp

@"sniperman.1738" said:If I may be honest, guilds who are already forming "simulated alliances" and moving from server to server have already proven that an alliance system will not work, as it will be easier to manipulate the matchups and who they face in the future as well.

You cannot compare alliances prepping for the change with the way things will shake out when the entire framework changes. Alliances in a server-based world are not remotely the same thing as alliances in a non-server, more balanced world will be. You cannot point at anything that is happening today and say that it proves the new framework will not work.

I get this is for "population balance" but truth hurts when the reality is its more to make an attempt at matchup manipulation it seems, and have to be honest you can't fix that. There will still be population issues no matter how you slice it, at the end of the day getting rid of all the servers and cutting it down into a dry cut us region and EU region isn't motivating and as an avid wvw player honestly is like a slap in the face taking away the server i call home and have pride for, linking was a good slap in the face as it is but this one will be a major slap, Turning WvW into an Edge of the mists concept where if you really want to play with your friends welp better make sure your in there guild, well guess what I have alot of friends on darkhaven from guilds all over the server and I basically won't get to play with a good chunk of them because of this poorly planned idea. The Alliance system is not the answer it is only the end and the death of a game mode that people enjoy, congrats on a nail in the coffin idea but at this point this isn't a paranoia viewpoint this is reality viewpoint to be delusional as to what this end result will be is kinda sad. Longtivity is created through players voting for a system they would prefer and or enjoy, not one just scribble up on a piece of paper by a developer and calling it good and done, thats not how games work or become successful or even last long, good companies like Jagex, Blizzard and many more like the creators of Everquest and there plenty more I could list the reason they last and have lasted is because they listen to there players input. So please Anet stop just pushing this along, let us the WvW players vote on this, Let us WvW players decide which direction we want our gamemode to go, because yea you wrote the script and the code but we play it daily and honestly probably know better as to where it needs to go and what needs to happen to make it last longer and make it better, and I can tell you personally scrapping worlds into the trash bin isn't one of them.

I 100% support the change and my opinion is just as valid as yours. Alliances are the direction I want wvw to go.

Scrapping current servers is the only way to fix this population issue outside of forcibly moving people from server to server. As long as people can choose to remain on unbalanced, stacked servers that comprise entire worlds, the imbalance will remain.

The only way I'd favor keeping servers is if people on overpopulated servers are forced to relocate to establish a balance among all worlds. Otherwise, the servers must go.

I think everything that anet said is a joke. We waiting for 8 months but we only got some verbal updates officially.Honestly i am not believe in anet is still working on this system atm.Btw the 6th year anniversary video makes me feel more disappointed and confused about the alliance system,because they repeated a critical point few times, "they gonna release some functions which planned for 3rd expansion."So i confirmed and believe that anet has suspended their works on new expansion, i think they had seen the end-game of gw2 and trying to stop spending more effort on it.I think the alliance system would be a new content in the new expansion and they will have some beta test through the 3rd expansion.But now everything is gone, i think the WvW system of gw2 is a reference for them for developing the next generation of gw series.I believe that they would give us a primary picture of the alliance or beta test in gw2, but the core system or content would not be given in gw2.

@"La Venus.6598" said:I think everything that anet said is a joke. We waiting for 8 months but we only got some verbal updates officially.Honestly i am not believe in anet is still working on this system atm.Btw the 6th year anniversary video makes me feel more disappointed and confused about the alliance system,because they repeated a critical point few times, "they gonna release some functions which planned for 3rd expansion."So i confirmed and believe that anet has suspended their works on new expansion, i think they had seen the end-game of gw2 and trying to stop spending more effort on it.I think the alliance system would be a new content in the new expansion and they will have some beta test through the 3rd expansion.But now everything is gone, i think the WvW system of gw2 is a reference for them for developing the next generation of gw series.I believe that they would give us a primary picture of the alliance or beta test in gw2, but the core system or content would not be given in gw2.

They literally said it is FAR AWAY, it's your own damn fault if you expect it next week or next month. They really shouldn't have said anything.

Your assumptions are as worthless as anybody elses, but going around claiming stuff like this doesn't help anybody.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@"La Venus.6598" said:I think everything that anet said is a joke. We waiting for 8 months but we only got some verbal updates officially.Honestly i am not believe in anet is still working on this system atm.Btw the 6th year anniversary video makes me feel more disappointed and confused about the alliance system,because they repeated a critical point few times,
"they gonna release some functions which planned for 3rd expansion."
So i confirmed and believe that anet has suspended their works on new expansion, i think they had seen the end-game of gw2 and trying to stop spending more effort on it.I think the alliance system would be a new content in the new expansion and they will have some beta test through the 3rd expansion.But now everything is gone, i think the WvW system of gw2 is a reference for them for developing the next generation of gw series.I believe that they would give us a primary picture of the alliance or beta test in gw2, but the core system or content would not be given in gw2.

They literally said it is FAR AWAY, it's your own kitten fault if you expect it next week or next month. They really shouldn't have said anything.

Some games have a lifecycle of less time than it's been coming

I know they said it's far away, but the glacial pace of WvW development is in itself cause for resentment.

@"Tiawal.2351" said:Too much living story, very slow work on everything WvW related...

I'd like to add.

a blank character which can change to any class and weapons sigils available at the spawn - 5 minutes setup with suggested setup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i think anet is overthinking this update...just go back to the roots...delete desertborder, stop linkin servers FOREVER (the population will be balanced by the community anyway, no matter how u want to control it, and btw that was the point i lost my motivation and wvw became senseless), give everyone a free ticket to choose a homeland again (there will always be high populated and low populated server...SO WHAT i liked to play in the low populated servers, u had ur archenemies u wanted to beat and that was fun af to play against), STOP ADDIN PVE CONTENT IN WVW.

AND DONT TRY TO CHANGE IT AGAIN

WVW just became an awsome thing in the early days because of the community itself, and it seems as more anet is tryin to control and changing things it's getting worse

that would make me happy,but u forgot about the wvw update anyway so who cares

peace out

(ps. my english sucks)

The alliance system will ruin wvw. I am shocked that many don't realize it's guilds that are destroying the wvw experience. It's a lot of guild runs now and closed guild tags, tiny groups. No more large open tag zergs. To be honest if they just wiped the guild system in wvw I think things would improve. IMHO, I honestly used to love eotm because it wasn't all guild tags and guild runs, then pips were introduced and boom no more eotm. I used to play wvw daily now ugh....tried switching servers many times it's all the same. WVW is literally guild vs guild now, it's ruined and alliance will ruin it further. Why not bring back an eotm like system with pips and bonuses but create a gvg system for guilds to gvg, I think this would help so much.

@SnowPumpkin.1809 said:The alliance system will ruin wvw. I am shocked that many don't realize it's guilds that are destroying the wvw experience. It's all guild runs now and guild tags, tiny groups. No more large open tag zergs. To be honest if they just wiped the guild system in wvw I think things would improve. IMHO

Is it ? o.O Vabbi and the Shiverpeak manage large zergs very frequently, same goes for the generally opposite servers. Guilds tend to constitute roamers and scouts Only. But that doesn't mean there isn't a zerg going around. Personally, I want the alliance system, because the megaserver setup means that I cant play with all my guildies in WvW, it makes no sense.