Basic E-Spec Idea- Monk

Swagger.1459

The basic gist so you get an idea of my idea...

MONKMonk is a melee to medium ranged "fighter/healer" that uses a staff. "Chi Energy" is the "magical stuff" used to explain the ranged projectile attacks and healing effects (ya know like how Mesmers can project illusion magic at 1,200 range with a greatsword?). I'm thinking of a fast paced and agile Monk that pumps out moderate damage and moderate healing.

PROFESSION MECHANICChi- Chi is a resource unique to the Monk. Its primary use is to fuel HEALING skills and effects ONLY. Not damage.

BURST ATTACKSThere will not be Burst Attacks for the Monk.

STAFFF SKILLS (still need names)Staff 1- Like this skill.. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dust_Strike. but 900 range “Chi Energy” attack that damages up to 3 enemies and heals up to 3 allies in the path.

Staff 2- Arc your staff in front of you and send multiple spinning "Chi Energy" projectile staves out to 900 range. Damages up to 3 enemies in the path.

Staff 3- Vault up to 900 range with your staff and deliver an 3 target AoE attack on enemies and AoE healing on self and 3 allies. Ground target skill.

Staff 4- "Stab" out in a flurry of strikes in front of you that projects "Chi Energy" to push back up to 3 enemies. 900 range moderate damage push back and also interrupt.

Staff 5- Charge 900 range while spinning the staff around you... Stability while using the skill. Removes all movement impairing effects and breaks through barriers that prevent or block movement. Want this to be more of a utility skill so make it light damage to 3 enemies and light healing to 3 allies in the path.

TECHNIQUESTechniques function like Revenant Facets, minus the energy cost. Only 1 Technique can be active at any time. 300 radius for passive effects. I’ll think more on the active effects...

Heal- Passive- "Crane Technique" regen healing on self and up to 3 party members while active. Active- Deliver a "Karate Kid" melee kick that deals damage to 3 enemies and strong heal to the Monk only.

Slot Skill- Passive- "Tiger Technique" reduces the Precision stat of up to 3 opponents by 20% due to "fright". Active- 300 radius roar that causes fear on up to 3 targets.

Slot Skill- Passive- "Leopard Technique" run and swim speed of 25% for self and 3 allies. Active- Block all incoming attacks while delivering a very quick series of "claw" attacks to opponents. Monk only Stealth and Superspeed at the end for X seconds.

Slot Skill- Passive- "Snake Technique" gives the Monk a 20% chance to evade all attacks. Active- Evade all attacks for X seconds and deliver a poisoning bite to 1 enemy.

Elite Skill- Passive- "Dragon Technique" provides the Monk and allies Stability. Active- Deliver a pbaoe stomp attack that knocks down up to 3 enemies and heals up to 3 allies. Moderate damage and healing.

TRAITSNo clue right now. Not really worried about it at this stage of the idea.

NOTEI'm using the 3 enemies and 3 allies "thing" because I would like to have stronger bonuses, attacks and healing than we find on various 5 target skills. Understandable?

Some resource material videos...

@derd.6413 said:i'm gonna go with no.

also why do all staff warrior suggestions boil down to daredevil but with chi and call it monk,why not use it like a quarterstaff or something.

also a guy in 60 lbs armor doing flips like the last vid would be absolutely stupid

Because it’s cool and fits the warrior profession well.

Well, in the fantasy world of magic and dragons and multiple realities... and a bunch of other crazy stuff... I’m thinking everything is possible... Also, I’m sure the devs can come out with some cool looking heavier monkish-warrior fighter type armor for theme and rping...

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"derd.6413" said:i'm gonna go with no.

also why do all staff warrior suggestions boil down to daredevil but with chi and call it monk,why not use it like a quarterstaff or something.

also a guy in 60 lbs armor doing flips like the last vid would be absolutely stupid

Well, in the fantasy world of magic and dragons and multiple realities... and a bunch of other crazy stuff... I’m thinking everything is possible... Also, I’m sure the devs can come out with some cool looking heavier monkish-warrior fighter type armor for theme and rping...

i have to heavily disagree, the martial arts aspect is just daredevil and the monk/chi aspect seems more like a canthen guard, nothing about this theme is anything close to a warrior. (sidenote: had a quick google and apparently chi (actually qi)is just Chinese equivalent of "life force" so technically they're taking from necro)

and ones again why do ppl only suggest eastern martial arts staff fighting? it's not like that was the only fighting done with staves.

@derd.6413 said:

i have to heavily disagree, the martial arts aspect is just daredevil and the monk/chi aspect seems more like a canthen guard, nothing about this theme is anything close to a warrior. (sidenote: had a quick google and apparently chi (actually qi)is just Chinese equivalent of "life force" so technically they're taking from necro)

and ones again why do ppl only suggest eastern martial arts staff fighting? it's not like that was the only fighting done with staves.

Maybe we are going back to Cantha in the next xpac? It's possible...

I don't care what the "energy" or "force" or "magic" is called. It's a term I'm using that's easily understandable to readers... Let's not get overly technical with names or hung up on real life comparisons here... This is all just a basic idea to create a framework for a warrior monk type e-spec inside of a make believe fantasy online video game...

@Swagger.1459 said:

I don't care what the "energy" or "force" or "magic" is called. It's a term I'm using that's easily understandable to readers... Let's not get overly technical with names or hung up on real life comparisons here... This is all just a basic idea to create a framework for a warrior monk type e-spec inside of a make believe fantasy online video game...

hence i put it as a side note and not as my actual criticism but if you wanna ignore what i have to say just say you're not interested in criticism

@derd.6413 said:

hence i put it as a side note and not as my actual criticism but if you wanna ignore what i have to say just say you're not interested in criticism

I addressed your input. If I wasn't interested then I'd just ignore you.

Point being is how strict we need to stick to real life when it come to a fantasy game? A game that has bunny mounts, mesmers shooting illusion magic from a greatsword, and a plethora of imaginary "stuff"... set in the pretend world of Tyria created by humans sitting in Seattle Washington...

You may not like the idea I have, and you are entitled to that, but your arguments fall flat when you try to inject "this isn't the case in real life" stuff. Edit- So when you make the comment of "also a guy in 60 lbs armor doing flips like the last vid would be absolutely stupid" … Then we can use that "it's stupid" measuring stick on all sorts of "stupid" things that Warriors, Revenants and Guardians (and every make believe profession) can do, in this fake online world, and change them because in real life it wouldn't be possible to do...

@Swagger.1459 said:

Point being is how strict we need to stick to real life when it come to a fantasy game? A game that has bunny mounts, mesmers shooting illusion magic from a greatsword, and a plethora of imaginary "stuff"... set in the pretend world of Tyria created by humans sitting in Seattle Washington...

You may not like the idea I have, and you are entitled to that, but your arguments fall flat when you try to inject "this isn't the case in real life" stuff.

i never said "this isn't the case in real life" therefore bad my argument is that daredevil but with eastern mysticism doesn't fit warr as a theme. stop with only looking at the parts of my argument you can counter while ignoring my main issues

@derd.6413 said:

You may not like the idea I have, and you are entitled to that, but your arguments fall flat when you try to inject "this isn't the case in real life" stuff.

i never said "this isn't the case in real life" therefore bad my argument is that daredevil but with eastern mysticism doesn't fit warr as a theme. stop with only looking at the parts of my argument you can counter while ignoring my main issues

We had monks in GW1 and are not getting a Monk Profession in GW2. Staff is an iconic weapon for Monks. Guardian has Staff, Warrior doesn't. War doesn't have a quality heal support spec. Guard Does.. Seems a monk with staff fits warrior. All signs point to a monk type spec for Warrior from the community by your original comment...……………….

Real life comparisons...

"also a guy in 60 lbs armor doing flips like the last vid would be absolutely stupid"

"(sidenote: had a quick google and apparently chi (actually qi)is just Chinese equivalent of "life force" so technically they're taking from necro)"

Are you seriously going to niggle about a very basic idea with very specific points? Like with a video of staff for reference and inspiration on how it's used from a martial art standpoint? How much do we need to search google for the perfect word that describes some type of mystical energy for an Asian themed character to use so we can avoid the word "Chi" and not step on necro toes in game?

You don't have to like the idea. However, it's kinda silly to bring up any real life counter points inside of a computer game... Once you start drawing the lines on real life stuff as an argument then we might as well shut down gw2.

This is a fantasy game of make believe to have fun... It’s unfortunate that you want to pull in some real life comments to counter an idea you don’t like... You’re entitled to oppose the idea, and may find other things that suit your taste, but be cautious with injecting the real world into an online world...

Edit- And I’ll comment on this...

“eastern mysticism doesn't fit warr as a theme”... Guess there weren’t any warriors in Cantha... Guess that a martial art monk isn’t considered a warrior/fighter type either... How about them Samurai?... Not really considered warrior types either? It’s totally out of the realm of possibility to have an “eastern” themed type warrior elite right?...

Oh and...

“Cantha is heavily based upon Eastern Asia and its cultures.

Cantha's name may have been derived from the name Canton, a country subdivision of China, or the word Cathay, an alternate name for China.”

If you don’t like the idea of an Asian themed warrior monk then create a thread so you can post your own version of a staff warrior elite.

You CAN do flips in plate armor.

If the daredevil can do it in light armor, I don't think why the warrior couldn't. And it's fantasy after all.

But overall, I don't like this idea. Chi, staff, and healing why not, but it's just not the right way. Warrior is primarly a fighter and a person of war, you can't erase it, it's the base of the profession every spec have to stand up to. Magical ranged attack with a staff do not suit the theme at all.

And yes, let's f**** clairfy this: aisians were not the only proficient ones with staves. We already have the dareddevil style. I think we can bring something new for a warrior staff (like, some powerful attack to neutralize your oponent and break is defense with the range advantage).

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Swagger.1459" said:If you don’t like the idea of an Asian themed warrior monk then create a thread so you can post your own version of a staff warrior elite.

Or they can disagree with your post and critique your idea directly in this thread, where the comments are on topic.

I clearly stated that they are entitled to their thoughts... My issue can be found in this quote “You may not like the idea I have, and you are entitled to that, but your arguments fall flat when you try to inject "this isn't the case in real life" stuff.“

That poster doesn’t like an Asian themed staff warrior, so they are free to create a thread on their vision to share with the community... That was my comment so let’s not spin it to something it’s not.

@Lametoile.7394 said:

If the daredevil can do it in light armor, I don't think why the warrior couldn't. And it's fantasy after all.

But overall, I don't like this idea. Chi, staff, and healing why not, but it's just not the right way. Warrior is primarly a fighter and a person of war, you can't erase it, it's the base of the profession every spec have to stand up to. Magical ranged attack with a staff do not suit the theme at all.

And yes, let's f**** clairfy this: aisians were not the only proficient ones with staves. We already have the dareddevil style. I think we can bring something new for a warrior staff (like, some powerful attack to neutralize your oponent and break is defense with the range advantage).

victorian english quarterstaff?

Id rather would want something similar to a scythe. Still staff but able to hit nultiple enemies arround you and the adrenaline enhances your staff with an "adrenal blade" or something like that.Burst should still exists but should change and buff allies depending on weapons and traits.Consecrations, spirit weapons, wells etc. Could all work.

Truthfully, the idea don't really excite me.

The warrior is more of a sturdy soldier class than an agile martial artist. As a support e-spec I'd see more something along the line of a commander or a capitain that direct it's allies accross the battlefield. Beside, the argument of cantha don't really fit with the idea of a "monk" because in GW1 they are more into spiritism (ritualist) when it come to support than anything else.

If I had to scrap a warrior support e-spec, I'd probably go with:

Name: CapitainLore: Charrs militiaMechanic: Burst skill now are dependant on your off-hand (new burst skill for 2 hand weapon) and fonction more like support shouts (Moral burst). (Moral bursts deal minor amount of damage to up to 5 foes)Weapon: pistol off-handUtility: Gadget (Charr technology!) Mainly armor pieces with selfish and/or offensive effects. (Drug filled belt (healing skill), Superspeed boots, Barbed gauntlet, ... etc.)Traitline:Minor:1- Replace bursts by moral burst and grant access to Pistol off-hand and gadgets2- Moral burst grant regeneration and vigor on allies affected.3- Heal around you whenever you use a Moral burst.Upper traitline: (support)1- Moral burst grant might based on how much adrenaline was spent.2- Moral burst grant x barrier on allies affected.3- Moral burst affect up to 10 allies.Mid traitline: (debuff/control)1- while you use a pistol gain x expertise. Pistol skills also slow ennemies affected.2- Apply cripple and vulnerability whenever you slow a foe.3- Moral burst daze foes around you. Whenever you control a foes slow down this foe.Down traitline: (Defense)1- Moral burst weaken foes around you.2- Gain toughness for each gadget equipped. Using a gadget grant you protection.3- Using a Moral burst break stun and grant you stability.

@derd.6413 said:

victorian english quarterstaff?

Exactly

@"Swagger.1459" said:

We had monks in GW1 and are not getting a Monk Profession in GW2. Staff is an iconic weapon for Monks. Guardian has Staff, Warrior doesn't. War doesn't have a quality heal support spec. Guard Does.. Seems a monk with staff fits warrior. All signs point to a monk type spec for Warrior from the community by your original comment...……………….

Real life comparisons...

"also a guy in 60 lbs armor doing flips like the last vid would be absolutely stupid"

"(sidenote: had a quick google and apparently chi (actually qi)is just Chinese equivalent of "life force" so technically they're taking from necro)"

Are you seriously going to niggle about a very basic idea with very specific points? Like with a video of staff for reference and inspiration on how it's used from a martial art standpoint? How much do we need to search google for the perfect word that describes some type of mystical energy for an Asian themed character to use so we can avoid the word "Chi" and not step on necro toes in game?

You don't have to like the idea. However, it's kinda silly to bring up any real life counter points inside of a computer game... Once you start drawing the lines on real life stuff as an argument then we might as well shut down gw2.

@"Swagger.1459" said:This is a fantasy game of make believe to have fun... It’s unfortunate that you want to pull in some real life comments to counter an idea you don’t like... You’re entitled to oppose the idea, and may find other things that suit your taste, but be cautious with injecting the real world into an online world...

“eastern mysticism doesn't fit warr as a theme”... Guess there weren’t any warriors in Cantha... Guess that a martial art monk isn’t considered a warrior/fighter type either... How about them Samurai?... Not really considered warrior types either? It’s totally out of the realm of possibility to have an “eastern” themed type warrior elite right?...

Oh and...

Cantha's name may have been derived from the name Canton, a country subdivision of China, or the word Cathay, an alternate name for China.”

If you don’t like the idea of an Asian themed warrior monk then create a thread so you can post your own version of a staff warrior elite.

Combined these are breaking your own argument. On the one hand, its fantasy, so the rules don't matter. Then on the other, "warrior doesn't have staff" is justifying some arbitrary requirement that Warrior should have a Staff weapon.

Thematically this would fit the Revenant much better in nearly all areas, because they're already themed around Mystical power, the Balance of energy, spiritual and mental focus, and channeling that power into unconventional combat styles. Staves in Guildwars, being a "fantasy setting" uses them to channel MAGIC, making qualities of that nature more important then physical sturdiness to withstand beating someone death with it. If you stop and think about it, Rev Staff already meets most of the intended requirements, including the "non-lethal" angle commonly associated with Monks. The only thing that really disconnects is Ventari being mechanically centered around the Tablet..... but nearly everything else already fits the bill.

The second runner up would, and by a wide margin from Warrior in 3rd, is Guardian. Guardian powers are the manifestation of their will, gained by learning to focus and control their own energy. The only reason Warriors are in third is how they focus will in a similar fashion, but mostly to create physical interactions with the world. They've long been considered the antithesis of conventional magic, with Spell Breaker even going as far as creating an entire fighting styles around the concept. But one of the biggest thematical break downs comes in the fact that Warriors don't operate on the idea of balanced energy, which is what the Monk themes always seem to push as the central concept...... Warriors, by intent, are an unbalancing force. Disciplined and Oppressive, choosing either to be Unstoppable or Unmovable in the face of their foe.

While they're open to the possibility of spiritual balance, the angle would have be approached from without simply trying to steal from the GW1 Monk, which itself is already manifest in the Guardian, Engineer and Druid.

And on the subject of Samurai..... how much of a mess are you really willing to decrypt to fix that analogy? Traditionally, Samurai's don't have magic; its practically to the point where this link created for them in RPG games is conceptually "the anti-ninja", because "Ninjas use magic". Even looking directly at GW1 Canthan characters, the Warriors don't follow any sort of "mystical" angle to their training.... Even the most arguably magically oriented faction in Cantha, the Kurzicks, don't display any unusual ideals or schools of thought that don't simply exist as a back drop to the faction as a whole.

In short, the argument being made is generic to the topic, and offers nothing new or interesting that would make people go "that sounds like something GW2 Writers would do for that idea". Regardless of the mechanics attached to them, the Specs at least try to be unique enough in theme, so direct comparisons to its predecessors (WoW, EQ, etc) aren't just 1:1. And even in the weakest themes, theres still a unique spin being put on them.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"Swagger.1459" said:

Real life comparisons...

@"Swagger.1459" said:This is a fantasy game of make believe to have fun... It’s unfortunate that you want to pull in some real life comments to counter an idea you don’t like... You’re entitled to oppose the idea, and may find other things that suit your taste, but be cautious with injecting the real world into an online world...

Oh and...

Combined these are breaking your own argument. On the one hand, its fantasy, so the rules don't matter. Then on the other, "warrior doesn't have staff" is justifying some arbitrary requirement that Warrior should have a Staff weapon.

Thematically this would fit the Revenant much better in nearly all areas, because they're already themed around Mystical power, the Balance of energy, spiritual and mental focus, and channeling that power into unconventional combat styles. Staves in Guildwars, being a "fantasy setting" uses them to channel MAGIC, making qualities of that nature more important then physical sturdiness to withstand beating someone death with it. If you stop and think about it, Rev Staff already meets most of the intended requirements, including the "non-lethal" angle commonly associated with Monks. The only thing that really disconnects is Ventari being mechanically centered around the Tablet..... but nearly everything else already fits the bill.

The second runner up would, and by a wide margin from Warrior in 3rd, is Guardian. Guardian powers are the manifestation of their will, gained by learning to focus and control their own energy. The only reason Warriors are in third is how they focus will in a similar fashion, but mostly to create physical interactions with the world. They've long been considered the antithesis of conventional magic, with Spell Breaker even going as far as creating an entire fighting styles around the concept. But one of the biggest thematical break downs comes in the fact that Warriors don't operate on the idea of balanced energy, which is what the Monk themes always seem to push as the central concept...... Warriors, by intent, are an unbalancing force. Disciplined and Oppressive, choosing either to be Unstoppable or Unmovable in the face of their foe.

While they're open to the possibility of spiritual balance, the angle would have be approached from without simply trying to steal from the GW1 Monk, which itself is already manifest in the Guardian, Engineer and Druid.

And on the subject of Samurai..... how much of a mess are you really willing to decrypt to fix that analogy? Traditionally, Samurai's don't have magic; its practically to the point where this link created for them in RPG games is conceptually "the anti-ninja", because "Ninjas use magic". Even looking directly at GW1 Canthan characters, the Warriors don't follow any sort of "mystical" angle to their training.... Even the most arguably magically oriented faction in Cantha, the Kurzicks, don't display any unusual ideals or schools of thought that don't simply exist as a back drop to the faction as a whole.

In short, the argument being made is generic to the topic, and offers nothing new or interesting that would make people go "that sounds like something GW2 Writers would do for that idea". Regardless of the mechanics attached to them, the Specs at least try to be unique enough in theme, so direct comparisons to its predecessors (WoW, EQ, etc) aren't just 1:1. And even in the weakest themes, theres still a unique spin being put on them.

How much do you really want to delve into rp stuff at this point? You are trying to make it sound as if a martial artist type elite doesn't fit warrior... You don't even know why I mentioned samurai, and I don't know why you would bring up some type of " Traditionally, Samurai's don't have magic" argument into the fold... If we get a Cantha xpac then a staff monkish fighter fills some pretty good gaps missing on warrior currently.

Also, exactly like PoF, things have changed over a couple hundred years, so we don't need to bring up what did or did not "exist" during those timelines.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-road-to-the-desert/

"But things have changed in the past 250 years"

I'm inclined to reiterate something that has already been said: Monk already has a specific meaning in the GW universe. They may not be currently playable in GW2, but 'monk', in Tyria, means someone who uses the same type of magic as a Guardian, but does so as a "scholar" (light armour, uses magic over martial training) rather than a "soldier" (heavy armour, high focus on martial techniques).

A monk in heavy armour, in GW terminology, is a guardian. That, in fact, is exactly where guardians came from. At the very least, the concept you're talking about should be called something else.

More broadly... as people have observed, the highly agile Asian-style martial artist is already represented in the daredevil. A similar approach could be taken with the warrior, although a warrior-based specialisation would naturally be less agile than a thief-based one. Mixing in a bit of magic would also be reasonable - berserker and spellbreaker already essentially do that, after all - but I would reiterate that a Warrior/Guardian-oriented specialisation does seem as if it might be a bit redundant. If you're looking for a warrior-as-party-healer specialisation, I'd probably be inclined to borrow from water and dervish themes rather than monk themes, and make an elite specialisation that behaves similarly to Wind Prayers healing dervishes.

• 10 months later...

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:@Knighthonor.4061 this is a better warrior staff and heal spec, and it doesn’t copy a guardian.

Thats a copy of Thief Daredevil

Nope. It’s a monk style character. Yours is a guardian though.

No thats Thief Daredevil. Physicals and all. its not even Heal support elite spec just like Thief Daredevil....