Character Log In Screen Suggestion - Fixed Character Positioning

As a player with 19 characters on my account, I feel like the current character log-in screen is disorderly. You know, where it always places the most recently logged in character as displayed on the left. Maybe I'm just a bit OCD about organization but it would be great to have an option in that character log-in screen, that allowed players to organize the positioning of their characters themselves and to set it so they don't move out of that set order when logged into.

This would be a great function to have, for those of us who have many characters.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:This would be a great function to have, for those of us who have many characters.

No. It would be a great function for those of you who want your characters to stay in the same order. The number of characters is totally irrelevant.

And for reference, I have beyond 40 characters, and I prefer it the way it is.

I only have 13 characters at the moment, but fixed positioning wouldn't work well for me. I tend to play with one character for an extended period of time before switching to a different character for an extended period of time. I do this as moving my gathering equipment and salvaging equipment requires multiple switches between characters. As such, fixed position would be really annoying for me.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:This would be a great function to have, for those of us who have many characters.

No. It would be a great function for those of you who want your characters to stay in the same order. The number of characters is totally irrelevant.

Examples of use:

• Keeping characters in birthday order
  • Organizing in terms of map completion
  • Organizing in terms of class/build played for the purposes of quick log-outs log-ins while running games in spvp
  • Organizing in terms of mains on left, alts on right, doesn't matter

Number of characters is definitely not irrelevant. The more characters I make, the more disorderly it gets when trying to sift through for whatever reason.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

OP is suggesting the OPTION to fix the order. If implemented, you could simply not opt to do so.

@"Ardid.7203" said:Character Selection Screen needs a TON of work. Just to be able to see the feet of my characters would make me happy...

Absolutely. With up to, what, 70 slots, the character select screen could certainly take a note or two from MOBAs, and add some sorting tools:ProfessionRaceLast PlayedCraftingCreation DateThe ability to "tag" them with certain game mode specs (WvW, Raid-tank, etc) would also be useful.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:This would be a great function to have, for those of us who have many characters.

OP is suggesting the OPTION to fix the order. If implemented, you could simply not opt to do so.

Correct, but OP's assertion was "for those of us who have many characters", almost as if everybody with many characters would of course want the feature, and I don't really care one way or another. Well, except when I want to go round all my characters (as I do every three weeks in SWTOR) and log in to each one of them, in which case the option to have them in most-recent-on-the-right (bottom in SWTOR) would be useful.

OK, never mind. Option it is. ;)

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:I want a grid on the left side of the log in screen that shows all my characters. Being able to directly click the character I want to use without having to scroll forever.

By the Six, praise Joko, for the Legions, YES. I've got 30+ and 3 blank spots. Desperately in need of a faster selection method. Even having keybinds for faster scrolling instead of having to boop the arrows would help a ton.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:As a player with 19 characters on my account, I feel like the current character log-in screen is disorderly. You know, where it always places the most recently logged in character as displayed on the left. Maybe I'm just a bit OCD about organization but it would be great to have an option in that character log-in screen, that allowed players to organize the positioning of their characters themselves and to set it so they don't move out of that set order when logged into.

This would be a great function to have, for those of us who have many characters.

The CSS needs many fixes, updates, and new QoL features. Doesn't look like the devs are interested in implementing any (or at least fix the current bugs, like the awful racial and gender-related size-scaling).

But hey, they updated the character icon's region backgrounds recently, so yay! <--sarcasm ;)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:As a player with 19 characters on my account, I feel like the current character log-in screen is disorderly. You know, where it always places the most recently logged in character as displayed on the left. Maybe I'm just a bit OCD about organization but it would be great to have an option in that character log-in screen, that allowed players to organize the positioning of their characters themselves and to set it so they don't move out of that set order when logged into.

The CSS needs
many
fixes, updates, and new QoL features. Doesn't look like the devs are interested in implementing any (or at least fix the current bugs, like the awful racial and gender-related size-scaling).

But hey, they updated the character icon's region backgrounds recently, so yay! <--sarcasm ;)

lol, I actually thought that background update looked pretty good :P

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:I wouldnt mind a grid with portraits to select from. The order has always been a bit finicky to me (since it doesnt always register which character you logged onto if its only for a minute or so) but last logged in always helped me whenever I wanted to check each character at least once.

Some form of a big square grid would be amazing. I could probably actually see ALL of my characters at once again with that.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know this is a conversation that has been going on for a very long time .... I too would love to have some way of organizing.  I would even be happy with a grid on the front screen so I can select which one I want, then sorted in some sort of fashion.  I just like them in a certain order, and when they don't stay in order because I was on one a longer time, then one a short time, then it throwing them out of order ...  it drives me crazy,.  My OCD takes over!  haha

It's been a complaint for almost 9 years.  I do hope they can somehow humor us some day.  It would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1