Decay rate differences

nativity.3057

Le'ts say we decay 1000 over the course of not playing PvP for approximately two weeks starting from high plat (2 or 3).Why do we lose 650~700 the first week, but then lose 300~350 the second week?Why do we lose more at higher ranks than at lower ranks during the same time interval?It's not like after a week of not playing we lose the ability to play 5v5 sPvP. The game mode hasn't changed enough to warrant such drastic differences.

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:You lose a maximum of 700 rating, 100 per day after the third day.

The games required increases by 15 per week up to 120 by the end of the season.

You're right.Just checked again and I did play one game of ranked a few days ago. Haven't decayed past 700 yet.

I do think the amount you drop is out of hand. 2 days of not playing isn't that long of a time, and 700 is 2+ tiers. Not playing pvp a week and then having a majority of my games during the weekend to fight decay is a bummer.

The second part is more of an ego thing haha. Not really a big issue since titles were removed anyways.

@"Exedore.6320" said:Ya, the net decay is pretty silly. One day you're in platinum. Take a break for a little over a week and you're in Bronze. How does that make any sense?

It makes sense because it doesn't really matter, from a gameplay standpoint. The matchmaker places you according to your "real" rating, which is what your rating is without decay. So you can decay from plat into silver, but in reality you'll still be queuing for plat matches. Decay is purely a cosmetic mechanism to keep people off the leaderboards when they don't play enough.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@"Exedore.6320" said:Ya, the net decay is pretty silly. One day you're in platinum. Take a break for a little over a week and you're in Bronze. How does that make any sense?

It makes sense because it doesn't really matter, from a gameplay standpoint. The matchmaker places you according to your "real" rating, which is what your rating is
without
decay. So you can decay from plat into silver, but in reality you'll still be queuing for plat matches. Decay is purely a cosmetic mechanism to keep people off the leaderboards when they don't play enough.

I'm well aware of how it works. Still doesn't excuse it being so extreme? If you're below platinum, you're off the leaderboard anyway. Why decay any further?

Yeah, the rate of decay is absolutely ludicrous if you ask me, I’m frequently out of town for work, so getting to plat ranking, then going out of town for work and coming back to be silver is just dumb.

I get that it’s cosmetic and all, but it’s still just irritating just endlessly having to yoyo the ranking because Anet is worried about the leaderboards. I’d say make it a 2 week period, or st the very least make the 700 Rank decay take 2 weeks to max out instead of 1. I can’t think of any other game off hand where decay is this extreme.

• 6 months later...

@"nativity.3057" said:Le'ts say we decay 1000 over the course of not playing PvP for approximately two weeks starting from high plat (2 or 3).Why do we lose 650~700 the first week, but then lose 300~350 the second week?Why do we lose more at higher ranks than at lower ranks during the same time interval?It's not like after a week of not playing we lose the ability to play 5v5 sPvP. The game mode hasn't changed enough to warrant such drastic differences.

because at higher ranks its more challenging, to get it back in lower elo is easier so they decay u moreI do agree the decay is a bit much either way, but its also ranked, and the system encourages you to stay active so you've "earned" said rank.Not many people in plat want to play with people who havent touched the game in half a month

@Exedore.6320 said:Ya, the net decay is pretty silly. One day you're in platinum. Take a break for a little over a week and you're in Bronze. How does that make any sense?

There are two things here. It does not impact match making. You are not really in “bronze” tier. The game match making puts you based on your rating before decay.

On another note, the purpose of the decay is to ensure a players remain active and not wait for a lucky streak and just sit on it. I think the decay should be limited to 1500 rating, since at that rating you are not on leader boards, but at the same time, you maintain the icon of being a platinum player. I find it really stupid that you are tagged bronze or silver if you have not played in a week.

@otto.5684 said:

@Exedore.6320 said:Ya, the net decay is pretty silly. One day you're in platinum. Take a break for a little over a week and you're in Bronze. How does that make any sense?

There are two things here. It does not impact match making. You are not really in “bronze” tier. The game match making puts you based on your rating before decay.

On another note, the purpose of the decay is to ensure a players remain active and not wait for a lucky streak and just sit on it. I think the decay should be limited to 1500 rating, since at that rating you are not on leader boards, but at the same time, you maintain the icon of being a platinum player. I find it really stupid that you are tagged bronze or silver if you have not played in a week.

my main gripe is the decay after 3 days.That's a short time and you really don't lose mechanics in 3 days. Should really decay after a week.

@nativity.3057 said:

my main gripe is the decay after 3 days.That's a short time and you really don't lose mechanics in 3 days. Should really decay after a week.

Seeing as most of my playtime is on weekends only, I support this suggestion.