Build Template System (and/or DPS metre): Get it here!

Lonecap.4105

Ok so after having what seems like more forum posts than ever concerning suggestions for a build template system, I decided to create this topic for the uninitiated.

There is already a way to get a working build template system.Some of you know this already, and some of you have concerns about the safety of the addon. I want to address these concerns.

Firstly, this is where you can download the most popular DPS metre, Arcdps: https://www.deltaconnected.com/arcdps/x64/

• Go to the link.
  • Click only the file titled "d3d9.dll" and it will download.
  • Right click and cut it.
  • Now go to your desktop, and right click your Guild Wars 2 shortcut, select "open file location".
  • Now that you're in the directory, go into "bin64".
  • Paste the .dll file into this folder.
  • You're done! The DPS metre will show up next time you start GW2.

Now, if you're only interested in the build templates, or you also want those, then here's how to get that:

• Go here: https://www.deltaconnected.com/arcdps/x64/buildtemplates/
  • Click only the file titled "d3d9_arcdps_buildtemplates.dll" and it will download.
  • Right click and cut it.
  • Now go to your desktop, and right click your Guild Wars 2 shortcut, select "open file location".
  • Now that you're in the directory, go into "bin64".
  • Paste the .dll file into this folder.
  • You're done! The build templates system will be ready for you to use next time you start the game. To open it, press Alt + Shift + D.

Now, as for the build template system... a video for explaining how this works (although it is very simple) will be more effective than a text explanation. I haven't prepared one, so instead I'll link to the video I watched when I installed:

This should be sufficient in getting an understanding of how it looks and works in-game - you type in a name to identify the build, and can then save the traits, skills and gear to it's database. It's also recently been updated to allow you to swap between legendary stat types.

Now. One of the biggest roadblocks for people when it comes to the build templates is, and if I recall, CommonTate mentions it in that video; is that there is a disclaimer the author of the tool puts which states he is not responsible and neither is ArenaNet for any bugs such as losses of gear. I want to re-assure you that this is more or less a myth and won't happen to you - it is said purely because it needs to be. Here's a Reddit thread from other users of arcbuilds who have similarly good faith in it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7wo5it/arcdpss_build_template/

Anyway that's all. Sometimes when a large patch (but not smaller ones) you will need to redownload and repaste the files for both tools you downloaded, as this can cause crashes. It won't do any harm however, and you can opt the delete the .dll files until the author makes an update (just a note here: if you remove either .dll files, it won't delete your saved builds, and they'll be right there again for you to use when you paste the file back). I hope this helped at least one player improve their in-game QoL!

ArcDPS and its features are unsupported 3rd party tools, created by a person not related to ArenaNet. Using these tools is putting your accounts at risk and ArenaNet already declared no help with any issues caused by these tools.

ArcDPS is not an excuse for Anet to not provide basic features like build templates players are asking for since before release in 2012.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:ArcDPS and its featured are unsupported 3rd party tools, created by a person not related to ArenaNet. Using these tools is putting your accounts on risk and ArenaNet already declared no help with any issues caused by these tools.

ArcDPS is not an excuse for Anet to not provide basic features like build templates players are asking for since before release in 2012.

This is not correct. Neither of these tools can collect personal account information or compromise your account. They are third-party but they have been approved by Anet.

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:ArcDPS and its featured are unsupported 3rd party tools, created by a person not related to ArenaNet. Using these tools is putting your accounts on risk and ArenaNet already declared no help with any issues caused by these tools.

This is not correct. Neither of these tools can collect personal account information or compromise your account. They are third-party but they have been approved by Anet.

I said nothing about collecting personal information. What I posted is FACT. All these tools are "use at your own risk" and Chris Cleary himself said that they won't help you solve any problems caused by these tools. Also, deltaconnected is not Anet employee. Clear facts, 0 opinions. Unless you want to try denying facts now.

If you claim otherwise, show me the proof of these tools being supported officially by ArenaNet.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I said nothing about collecting personal information. What I posted is FACT. All these tools are "use at your own risk" and Chris Cleary himself said that they won't help you solve any problems caused by these tools.

If you claim otherwise, show me the proof of these tools being supported officially by ArenaNet.

The point of my post was to combat "fear-mongering" such as what you're doing. The reality is many of us have been using arcbuilds quite safely and enjoying a better quality of life because of it. I personally have been using both tools since September and have never had a problem. So yes, they have to say "use at your own risk"... but those using it know that the risk is minimal/negligible.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I said nothing about collecting personal information. What I posted is FACT. All these tools are "use at your own risk" and Chris Cleary himself said that they won't help you solve any problems caused by these tools.

The point of my post was to combat "fear-mongering" such as what you're doing. The reality is many of us have been using arcbuilds quite safely and enjoying a better quality of life because of it. I personally have been using both tools since September and have never had a problem. So yes, they have to say "use at your own risk"... but those using it know that the risk is minimal/negligible.

What I'm doing is providing a disclaimer which you are trying to hide. Since you are trying to deny facts now, here's one quote from Chris Cleary as I have no time to look for more now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/704oem/build_templates_actual_release/dn0eys7/

This is officially unsupported, and ArenaNet will not be able to offer any support for this addon or issues that occur due to use of this addon.

So whoever uses these tools, never expect any help from Anet and never bother them with technical problems with these addons. They are tolerated, allowed but not supported by the dev team. Deltaconnected is not part of ArenaNet team.

Clear facts. Try to deny what I said.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

What I'm doing is providing a disclaimer which you are trying to hide.

Oh?In my opening post, please ctrl+f to locate " there is a disclaimer the author of the tool puts which states he is not responsible and neither is ArenaNet for any bugs ".

Another thing worth mentioning:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/704oem/build_templates_actual_release/dn0eys7/

In their current state, /u/DeltaConnected 's Build templates are green-lit and safe to use by users (in terms of violating the Terms of Service). I've asked him to run any functionality changes by me before releasing, so hopefully we don't need to worry about things changing in the future in terms of "safe to use".

Build Template feature was approved 4 months ago and only for the version they released at that time. And deltaconnected himself told us that Anet security team isn't checking if ArcDPS is still compliant with their policies with every update. Meaning that every new build creates a risk for your accounts.

While I keep communications open, there is no verification or approval for each build.

Everyone should judge on their own whether it's worth risking your years old account to use these tools. Always consider risks and never believe people who give you only half the truth like OP.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Another thing worth mentioning:

In their current state
, /u/DeltaConnected 's Build templates are green-lit and safe to use by users (in terms of violating the Terms of Service). I've asked him to run any functionality changes by me before releasing, so hopefully we don't need to worry about things changing in the future in terms of "safe to use".

Build Template feature was approved 4 months ago and only for the version they released at that time. And
Anet security team isn't checking if ArcDPS is still compliant with their policies with every update. Meaning that every new build creates a risk for your accounts

While I keep communications open, there is no verification or approval for each build.

Everyone should judge on their own whether it's worth risking your years old account to use these tools. Always consider risks and never believe people who give you only half the truth like OP.

I would say the EXACT same thing to you, except I would also say always consider the benefits such a tool might allow, and not listen to people like Kheldorn who notoriously crusade around the forum and speak out against Arc. I hope it is clear to anyone reading this that I made it completely clear it was a third party tool. I hope you also note that I said there was a disclaimer. I never suggested this wasn't a third-party addon.

That said, Kheldorn doesn't want me to post my positive and personal experience with the tool. He doesn't want anyone using it because he thinks then ArenaNet won't bother to make their own version - which could be monetised. This addon is free and lets you make as many builds as you like.

To keep it brief, the use of add-ons like ArcDPS and TacO are well within the terms of conditions, and the EULA, so they are 'greenlit' in the broad sense of the term.That said, they are third party tools, and every individual should consider for themselves whether they think its safe or. Because anet cannot and will not assist when there are issues caused by the third party tools.

In their current state
, /u/DeltaConnected 's Build templates are green-lit and safe to use by users (in terms of violating the Terms of Service). I've asked him to run any functionality changes by me before releasing, so hopefully we don't need to worry about things changing in the future in terms of "safe to use".

Build Template feature was approved 4 months ago and only for the version they released at that time. And
Anet security team isn't checking if ArcDPS is still compliant with their policies with every update. Meaning that every new build creates a risk for your accounts

I would say the EXACT same thing to you, except I would also say always consider the
benefits
such a tool might allow, and not listen to people like Kheldorn who notoriously crusade around the forum and speak out against Arc. I hope it is clear to anyone reading this that I made it completely clear it was a third party tool. I hope you also note that I said there was a disclaimer. I never suggested this wasn't a third-party addon.

That said, Kheldorn doesn't want me to post my positive and personal experience with the tool. He doesn't want anyone using it because he thinks then ArenaNet won't bother to make their own version - which could be monetised. This addon is free and lets you make as many builds as you like.

I'm very happy to see your positive posts about the tool. However I'm not here to post my opinions. I'm here to post facts. Your thread is created in a way of promotion for arcdps and risks are not properly explained there. Which is, again, very nice of you to show other players how they can deal with lack of built-in build templates. But all these nice tools are not created by ArenaNet, are not consistently evaluated by ArenaNet and may cause harm to players' accounts. Which is very important to explain so player can make a sane decision whether to use these tools or not. I feel like your OP is a bit too optimistic, but since it's all about sharing your personal experience and not facts, it's okay. I provided a factual disclaimer backed up with quote both from Anet stuff and ArcDPS creator proving that risks exist. So now players can make an informative choice if they want to use these tool or simply wait for Anet to implement build templates.

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with the great tool of ArcDPS and giving possibility for me to expand on your posts and provide some facts about this tool :)

I’m well aware of this third-party program. That’s still no excuse for anet to still not have their own build template system. Evan Lesh hinted that they were looking into this way back in 2014, and they’re always paying lip-service, acknowledging and sympathizing with fan requests for it. To still have nothing 4 years later is ridiculous when 1 non-anet guy can make one (albeit a non-supported one) by himself. I don’t remember all the details on gw1 but I’m pretty sure we had templates by the time Nightfall came out, which was only 1.5 yr after gw1 was released.

This feature positively boosts literally every game mode. Yea, maybe there are some complications with the way the game was coded (supposedly), but I don’t buy that this is more complex than trying to balance 27 professions/elite specs or building whole new maps.

The tools are approved by Anet, both the OP and Kheldorn have stated agreement on that point.

My concern is, and will always be, the statement of lack of support for issues arising from the use of the tools. When, not if, something goes wrong, not being able to get it fixed via customer support is too great a detraction for my taste.

These tools have (quite literally) made this game worth playing again. It is so extraordinarily convenient to have the ability to swap builds on the fly without manually clicking 16 pieces of gear from your inventory, and clicking 9 new traits/swapping elite specs.

Get them now.

@Blue.1207 said:These tools have (quite literally) made this game worth playing again. It is so extraordinarily convenient to have the ability to swap builds on the fly without manually clicking 16 pieces of gear from your inventory, and clicking 9 new traits/swapping elite specs.

Get them now.

Yeah, same for me. I feel bad for people who don't have this luxury and might feel unnecessarily scared off.

• 8 months later...

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

In their current state

I would say the EXACT same thing to you, except I would also say always consider the
benefits
such a tool might allow, and not listen to people like Kheldorn who notoriously crusade around the forum and speak out against Arc. I hope it is clear to anyone reading this that I made it completely clear it was a third party tool. I hope you also note that I said there was a disclaimer. I never suggested this wasn't a third-party addon.

I'm very happy to see your positive posts about the tool. However I'm not here to post my opinions. I'm here to post facts. Your thread is created in a way of promotion for arcdps and risks are not properly explained there. Which is, again, very nice of you to show other players how they can deal with lack of built-in build templates. But all
these nice tools are not created by ArenaNet, are not consistently evaluated by ArenaNet and may cause harm to players' accounts
. Which is very important to explain so player can make a sane decision whether to use these tools or not. I feel like your OP is a bit too optimistic, but since it's all about sharing your personal experience and not facts, it's okay. I provided a factual disclaimer backed up with quote both from Anet stuff and ArcDPS creator proving that risks exist. So now players can make an informative choice if they want to use these tool or simply wait for Anet to implement build templates.

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with the great tool of ArcDPS and giving possibility for me to expand on your posts and provide some facts about this tool :)

I agree on build template its beyond using combat data so it breaks due to 1button rule since it switches and we dont need templates switching is not that hard. Ppl asking for build templates ar just lazy in my opinion. Using build template gives you a clear advantage of being able to swap build faster than its meant to

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:Arcdps is green lighted but build templates can get you banned dont use it. Arcdps is only tool showing but build templates is altering so i warn it can get you banned

Not true. Chris Cleary has green lit the ArcDPS build templates.

While this is true, i still hope that anet introduces their own, so that i can have all this stuff as i refuse to use 3rd party tools in GW2 due to issues and problems ive ran into using 3rd party tools in other MMOs.

The problem for me and possibly others is that it is another program running while I am playing the game. I can't even run a browser while the game is running, or it stalls completely. No one in any post on this forums or reddit, that I have read, has actually addressed my problem. I have run supposed beneficial programs with anet's games and every time they lock my computer up in some fashion.And having to update another program just to be able to run my game is ridiculous to me. If it where in the game itself then I wouldn't have to worry that the next time I run my game I may not be able to get it to load, or half way through an event the game crashes. Not everyone has money to burn and get the most update gaming machine to play one game.I don't want to have to go to another web site to download and possibly have the program rune my fun. If you can get the thing to work for you, great for you, but for those of us that can't get them to work with the game it is useless.

@Sithis.3564 said:Why does this need advertisement? Plenty of topics about ArcDps around already. It's easy to Google.

Doesn't change the fact, and it probably never will, that people want an official ingame feature.

Just want to point out I made this almost a year ago, not sure why it was necro'd. When I got ArcDPS I was really happy with it and just wanted to make a guide with easy instructions on how to install it, that's all.