Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

@"spigatl.3687" said:HnrSd6C.pngAnyone know this error, Lutris + OpenSuSe + 64bits Version

Is this as far as it loads? Is there a text error of any kind or just never populates the login dialog?

have you tried armor's package here that is linked on the first post of this thread?

Are you using 'Leap' or 'tumbleweed'?

If Tumbleweed have you done an distribution update recently? If not you might try doing a "dup" on it and then try again and see if that works.

I would also try the package here and launch in CLI and see what errors it throws.

Others here know far more than I about this and Linux in general but i am using Tumbleweed (at this point I am using wine-staging-nine and gallium and launch in CLI or a icon that I made) and don't remember this happening at all when I was first setting it up. I have never used Lutris though really.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@Benjus Maximus.4932 said:Esync is causing me game to crash during the loading. If i turn it off, prevents it from crashing during loadings but performance is around 20 fps.Solus RX480 Mesa 18.2.1 LLVM 6.

Check the troubleshooting section in my first post, I wrote a guide how to fix that. :)

I followed the troubleshooting step by step, I edited /etc/systemd/system.conf and /etc/systemd/user.conf and reboot, but when i do ulimit -Hn and ulimit -Sn the numbers comes back like i never edited it but when i go to the text editors it does shows up as edited.

@Benjus Maximus.4932 said:

@Benjus Maximus.4932 said:Esync is causing me game to crash during the loading. If i turn it off, prevents it from crashing during loadings but performance is around 20 fps.Solus RX480 Mesa 18.2.1 LLVM 6.

Check the troubleshooting section in my first post, I wrote a guide how to fix that. :)

I followed the troubleshooting step by step, I edited /etc/systemd/system.conf and /etc/systemd/user.conf and reboot, but when i do ulimit -Hn and ulimit -Sn the numbers comes back like i never edited it but when i go to the text editors it does shows up as edited.

Did you also edit the "/etc/security/limits.conf" file? Can you upload screenshots of the files' contents please?

Did you also edit the "/etc/security/limits.conf" file? Can you upload screenshots of the files' contents please?

I figure out what was the issue and managed to edit the files. I forgot to remove the # at the beginning of the line and that was causing the edit not take place.Thanks for the help.

[3404:3455:1015/132325.720559:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process. [23392:23455:1015/133538.762692:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process. I got a weird error any idea what this means?

@Rikou.4720 said:[3404:3455:1015/132325.720559:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process. [23392:23455:1015/133538.762692:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process. I got a weird error any idea what this means?

Under what conditions are you getting this error? Trying to launch or taking an action in game like trying to open the Trading post of BL Store?

as VAN said the only thing that really seems to error in this way that people talk about is chrome/chromium?

You might try to reinstall your video drivers depending on what you are using and maybe a clean download of the package here if you are using it. If that doesn't work then maybe try a full wine reinstall?

Do you use chrome/chromium? If so does that error like this if you launch from CLI?

@jbrother.1340 said:

[3404:3455:1015/132325.720559:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process. [23392:23455:1015/133538.762692:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process.
I got a weird error any idea what this means?

Under what conditions are you getting this error? Trying to launch or taking an action in game like trying to open the Trading post of BL Store?

as VAN said the only thing that really seems to error in this way that people talk about is chrome/chromium?

You might try to reinstall your video drivers depending on what you are using and maybe a clean download of the package here if you are using it. If that doesn't work then maybe try a full wine reinstall?

Do you use chrome/chromium? If so does that error like this if you launch from CLI?

Yea I launched chrome from a terminal and got the same error. So I need to restall drivers then?

@Rikou.4720 said:

[3404:3455:1015/132325.720559:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process. [23392:23455:1015/133538.762692:ERROR:browser_gpu_channel_host_factory.cc(121)] Failed to launch GPU process.

Yea I launched chrome from a terminal and got the same error. So I need to restall drivers then?

I would try uninstalling chrome first and then launch GW2 and see if you still get those errors.

Could be a driver issue but I would try the most simple thing first.

@Rikou.4720 said:

The game's Trading Post uses technology based on Chromium/Chrome, which is why you get the same (or similar) message. If the Linux native Chrome throws that error, then most likely the problem is somewhere around your OS.

The game's Trading Post uses technology based on Chromium/Chrome, which is why you get the same (or similar) message. If the Linux native Chrome throws that error, then most likely the problem is somewhere around your OS.

Okay I removed google chrome and I don't see the error popping up even when messing around with the gemstore in-game. Guessing that was the issue then. e.e

Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine touse TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater thanor equal to 2.0.5.

edit: This error is what is causing the lack of any text or boxes on the login screen in the above screenshots from people. I looked around for a way to install what it wants but I couldn't get anything to work.

@Draknil.1860 said:Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine touse TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater thanor equal to 2.0.5.

edit: This error is what is causing the lack of any text or boxes on the login screen in the above screenshots from people. I looked around for a way to install what it wants but I couldn't get anything to work.

Which distro are you using? Ubuntu/Mint 16.04 or newer all include libfreetype 2.6.x. The package is called libfreetype6 and libfreetype6:i386 for the 32bit one. The 64bit one may already be installed but not the 32bit one and considering GW2 has some 32bit components that might be the reason why it causes issues.

In my latest package I added some Core Fonts to smoothen up the setup process.

@"Draknil.1860" said:Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine touse TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater thanor equal to 2.0.5.

Which distro are you using? Ubuntu/Mint 16.04 or newer all include libfreetype 2.6.x. The package is called libfreetype6 and libfreetype6:i386 for the 32bit one. The 64bit one may already be installed but not the 32bit one and considering GW2 has some 32bit components that might be the reason why it causes issues.

In my latest package I added some Core Fonts to smoothen up the setup process.

This is the thing as I am running 64 bit Linux Mint 19 Bionic and it has libfreetype6 installed and the 32bit version it will not allow to be installed it gave me all sorts of errors when I tried. I have been away from Linux for 10 years now and when I was in it for 10 years I was 100% CLI so I am not sure how to help this situation. Even when I reinstalled the libfreetype6 (verified it had really stayed installed after a reboot too) I fired up wine and BLAM, the same exact error.

edit: "In my latest package I added some Core Fonts to smoothen up the setup process."When I posted above I had just downloaded it no longer than 2 hours before.

edit #2: I do believe this is the culprit - https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28001 Almost two years ago but exactly the same issues.

edit #3: I got my fonts now as I had a bad ppa that left me with broken deps. sudo apt-get --fix-missing install fixed me right up and with the inclusion of the 32bit libfreetype (I only had the 64bit version listed) it came up properly.

@Draknil.1860 said:edit #3: I got my fonts now as I had a bad ppa that left me with broken deps. sudo apt-get --fix-missing install fixed me right up and with the inclusion of the 32bit libfreetype (I only had the 64bit version listed) it came up properly.

Thanks for confirming that this package actually solves the issue, I will add it to troubleshooting list :)

@Draknil.1860 said:I guess I will just use Windows to play the game, darn it, because 8-15fps in LA I can't handle that and that is with best performance selected. Normally I get 50-60fps (capped).

Can you please post your system specs? I'm finding it odd that you're getting such low fps. On one of my low systems with a G4560 and GT1030 the game is very playable with a mix of medium-high settings at 720p, in LA it's able to reach 35-50 depending on the area and 50+ in most other areas (outside of large group events).

@Draknil.1860 said:edit #3: I got my fonts now as I had a bad ppa that left me with broken deps. sudo apt-get --fix-missing install fixed me right up and with the inclusion of the 32bit libfreetype (I only had the 64bit version listed) it came up properly.

Thanks for confirming that this package actually solves the issue, I will add it to troubleshooting list :)

@Draknil.1860 said:I guess I will just use Windows to play the game, darn it, because 8-15fps in LA I can't handle that and that is with best performance selected. Normally I get 50-60fps (capped).

Can you please post your system specs? I'm finding it odd that you're getting such low fps. On one of my low systems with a G4560 and GT1030 the game is very playable with a mix of medium-high settings at 720p, in LA it's able to reach 35-50 depending on the area and 50+ in most other areas (outside of large group events).

I was at the bank in LA when I logged in then logged out and back in via Windows. I am on a Nvme+SSD, Ryzen 5 1600, 16 gigs of ram, 1060 GTX 6GB.

edit: Let me add this is 1920x1200 in Windows and Linux and on Windows I have a few settings cranked up but in Linux those 8-15fps was at max performance mode so Windows was actually way better in FPS and visual quality at those FPS.

@Draknil.1860 said:

I was at the bank in LA when I logged in then logged out and back in via Windows. I am on a Nvme+SSD, Ryzen 5 1600, 16 gigs of ram, 1060 GTX 6GB.

edit: Let me add this is 1920x1200 in Windows and Linux and on Windows I have a few settings cranked up but in Linux those 8-15fps was at max performance mode so Windows was actually way better in FPS and visual quality at those FPS.

Only scenario I can think of that would produce such results would be when using the open source Nvidia drivers.

Something I'd like to share which might help with performance:

For those who have lots of cores/threads it might help if you manage the workload a bit manually. On my Ryzen 1700X for example I set GW2 to run on threads 1-8 which provides better performance than if I let it run on all 16. Secondly I use a dual screen setup where on the second one I keep my browser open all the time, most of the time it doesn't affect game performance, however if I play a Youtube video or watch a movie, game performance would sometimes degrade because CPU power is being utilized for a different task, as such limiting the browser to 3 other threads unused by the game eliminated the problem.

You are of course not required to do this for every program, just the ones you think will use CPU power. To control how many or which cores a program can use you can do this by running the 'taskset' command, for example if you want a program to use only the first 2 cores it would be "taskset -c 0-1 name_of_program" (core count starts from 0 not 1).

:)