Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

LW4 Ep4. LEGACY is bugged after you defeat the branded riftstalker npcs start to talk then screen goes black (like its going to a cutscene) and then I get a dc message to character select and lose all credit. and have to redo the instance trying for a thrid time, but it will most likely fail.

2 hours later... on 4rth try made it past Legacy.

I would like to post an update about my account and the disconnects. I last posted a little under a month ago.I was recently in a dungeon on a DIFFERENT computer from my home computer, on different internet, and on a different router (all of which have been suspect for this), and I still encountered the issue.
This is not related to LW4. This has happened to me consistently from the personal story up through Path of Fire (which I have slowly meandered through) AND now group dungeons and fractals.

As for it not being 'replicable' I might suggest that Anet ought to send someone WITH a player in a story instance and merely wait for it to happen. Or several of these players. I, with some level of reliability, get disconnected if I spent over half an hour in an instance. @Jeffrey Vaughn.1793 I'm not sure why anet hasn't been open about what testing methods they've done, but this seems like a fairly persistent problem that warrants more effort than what we've been allowed to see.

I would eagerly volunteer my time as someone who disconnects more and more frequently towards solving this issue. I am certain that other people in this thread feel similarly.::Edit for tone and suggestion

• 2 weeks later...

This is sick. Ticket open for more then a week. No response.

• HoT : Hearts and minds, takes 40 mins waste of my time, again disconnected. For 3th time:Pffff
  • Living season 2: Echoes of the past (Hidden Arena instance), 35 mins, again for 5th time NOPE, disconnected.

So gdm, I finished the instance, disconnected, and repeat??? This aint funny at all.Make if you complete, then gdmn mark as complete and not disconnect.At least on a ticket: RESPOND please. This is lame:Pfffff

Today (October 1st) I have just completed "The Departing" twice. Each time i kill the eater of souls and listen to Joko and once Joko finishes i disconnect. Not sure i want to spend another hour doing it all over for it to happen again. Shame really as i was enjoying this story line.

Strange that it never happens during other game play only story lines.

Getting this on Ossuary of the Unquiet Dead. Right after the unskippable cutscene after destroying all the urns, I end up with the movie reel over my character's head and then booted to character selection. The first time I actually got past that and defeated the boss but then movie reel disconnected after the end conversation. After a third attempt I'm really sick of doing this mission again (takes about 20-30 minutes every time). I've had it before on some previous missions but got around it by skipping all conversation and basically speedrunning it. Now it's basically ruined the whole game for me since I wanted to complete the personal story before moving on. Definitely not spending another penny until this issue is resolved or a workaround is found.

Tried game content streaming to max, tried client port 443, tried spamming character abilities and movement during the cutscene, nada. When I build up the motivation to run this mission a fourth time I'll try a VPN.

UK, Virgin Media, 144hz monitor, fullscreen windowed. IP of the instance was 18.196.235.12.

Please add checkpoints or keep the instance alive for 5 mins so we can reconnect to it - this would help not only this case but any other case where someone might lose connection!

EditTried it again with a VPN setup to an AWS instance in frankfurt, where the game servers seem to be based. The connection was lossy as anything, lots of lag, but that's probably more likely due to the VPN than the game. In any case it seemed to do the trick, got past the cutscenes and completed the mission. Probably what I'll do in the future is play missions without the VPN then switch to it as soon as I get a disconnect issue on one of them. If anyone is desperate and wants to give this a go, hit me up and I'll send the VPN access details.

still happening in october still no work around... just add an option to continue where you left off shouldnt be that hard to code. it should just be a variable with container value for where you left off aka BASIC STUFF. I know this type of thing and I am FAILING my c# class. Again, no issues with anet, I love anet, I think anet is one of the best publishers in mmos, but this little issue is a serious flaw (that and legendary systems but ya know.... gw2 logic)

I’ve also been suffering the same symptoms as many others on this discussion. Repeated frustrating disconnects at the end of long storyline missions, but fine stable connection for general gameplay. For example always disconnecting at the end of the last mission of A Crack in the Ice at the end of the unskipable cutscene.

Sharing my results to add to the data set: UK, Virgin Media

Thanks to others for suggesting trying a VPN. I tried using Bitdefender VPN (comes bundled with Bitdefender Internet Security). I set the VPN location to “Automatic” and completed the mission on the first attempt – no disconnect.

Looks like VPN may be the way to go for us on Virgin Media!

This is killing me... 4 disconnects on very long personal missions. 6 hours of gameplay that should have been 3. It disconnects at the very end before doling out rewards and showing the exit option. This is ruining my will to play. I need to take a break; I just can't go back and do that last one again right now. It was an annoying encounter that took a long time to defeat... not one I'd want to do a 2nd time. I've really only been having this issue for the past couple of weeks, yet I see it has been a thing for a long time for others.

Addendum for Devs: it seems to me that this issue is more common after long gameplay sessions or travel through many zones before beginning the quest. So, it is possible that this is a memory issue as much as it is a connection issue. I don't think I've had this issue on the retry because I always rage quit after the disconnect and retry from a fresh login later.

• 2 weeks later...

@The Harl.4281 said:This happens to me on most storylines. Getting to the point when playing through it seems more of a chore than playing for entertainment. Would be nice if GW could comment that they are aware of this issue and if there is likely to be a fix.

The Devs have commented...in this very thread. You can use the 'Next ArenaNet post' to jump to it.

Good luck.

I have the same issue during story - random disconnect but always after video clips - at no other time do I get disconnected.
Have tried Cable connection rather than wireless have applied idea's people have suggested -clientport 80 at end of GW2 shortcut - restarting router.Constantly pining google Website at same time as playing and always around 15ms (So i'm quite sure my internet is ok) and "3 times in a row at different cut scenes Forging the pact Story" The game client lost connection to the server ... Code = 7:11:3:191:101 its painful.

Bought this game 2 days ago, got about 20 disconnects so far trying to finish the main story quests... as far as I can see the issues is almost a year old. I have no idea how this game got so many positive reviews if it's unplayable for like a year or so. Is there any chance I can get a refund?

You can submit a ticket for a refund. Keep in mind, this bug only affects a small percentage of players.

Some have success using a VPN.Some have success changing the client port.Some have success moving or using skills during cut-scenes.Some have success always minimizing cut-scenes.

The Devs have not been able to reliably reproduce the issue, so can not create a 'fix'.

Good luck.

This seems to be the 'megathread' on this particular issue so I'll just throw myself in as another player affected by these annoying story disconnects.

I'm wondering, what ISP is everyone using? I've had a similar problem in other games as well, and many of those also affected were with Virgin Media. So far it looks like at least a handful of people in this thread are with them also.