Tips for warrior in PvP/WvW?

Zexanima.7851

I just started playing sPvP/WvW with my warrior and I was wondering if the community wouldn't mind sharing some tips on how they deal with other professions. I'm wanting to hear all that you're willing to share but here are my specific problems;

(runing core warrior with shield/axe gs, I could go sb but I want to learn core first)

1. Condi; Other than weapon swap and berserker stance do we have any way to deal with it or should that be enough?
  2. Dragonhunter; with traps and longbow I get block/melted if I go in and pecked down from range if I don't
  3. Mesmer; I can never pin them down, but when I do they just evade-evade-evade-invis then we are back to square one or I'm dead cause they burst me down
  4. Ranger; I don't always have a problem with them but I've run into a couple that I just could not deal with. Invis/kiting were giving me grief and would bait out my reflect
  5. Necro; If they kite me hitting me constantly with cc and condi I just get kind of shut down.

TL;DR I seem to have trouble with condi and getting kited despite my gap closers.

Berserker stance is alright. If you feel like it's not enough you can look into using Shake it Off instead, it's better against condi pressure but obviously also easier to mess up by using it too early/late. You need to spam Break Entchantments on cooldown and hope your Fullcounter is enough to aoe mesmer clones and the like down. What you want to do is position yourself properly. Bait a shade from necro and just don't fight them while they pulse out the damage and conditions, then time your CC right. It's a lot of moving out of aoes. Just remember that you can't just 1v1 them down, you have to disengage since they'll be running super tanky builds + barrier spam, wait for cds + kite then go in again

Rangers I hate fighting honestly. Can't always count on a reflect to help you, the CD is simply too long. You definitely want to stay as close to them as possible. Usually Greatsword 5 into Bulls Charge does the trick, though you definitely want to cancel the GS 5 charge since it locks you into the animation later on and they can just run away during that.

Besides that I often bait them by running away, waiting for them to get close enough, then switch camera around (set a keybind for that) and bulls charge right into them for some free damage. Many players in WvW get caught off guard by that because it's a near instant turn around

And as a general tip: Don't panic, never piano all your spells because you only have one chance at surviving

@"Zexanima.7851" said:(runing core warrior with shield/axe gs, I could go sb but I want to learn core first)

Keep playing core. It has more sustain than Spellbreaker due to the Might Makes Right trait.

1. Condi; Other than weapon swap and berserker stance do we have any way to deal with it or should that be enough?

The Cleansing Ire trait from Defense is one of the best ways to cleanse conditions and the best part is that it has no cooldown. Three adrenaline bars result in cleansing three conditions.

Also the Burst Mastery trait from Discipline restores one adrenaline bar after you swap weapons meaning you can land your Eviscerate, deal a lot of damage, cleanse three conditions, swap to greatsword and cleanse another condition. It's better to swap to greatsword because axes' damage scales with adrenaline.

1. Dragonhunter; with traps and longbow I get block/melted if I go in and pecked down from range if I don't

Use cover to LoS (line of sight) ranged professions. It's the best way to avoid being shot to death from range. Shield Master reflects projectiles, grants you might when you block attacks, heals you and grants you endurance from the Might Makes Right trait. It also reduces the cooldown on shield skills which is always appreciated.

When it comes to fighting Dragonhunters on capture points, expect for their traps to go off. You can use Whirlwind Attack from greatsword to trigger the traps while evading them. The only way for a Dragonhunter to deal a lot of damage with traps is if they're running full trap Dragonhunter which even by todays' standards is ridiculous.

1. Mesmer; I can never pin them down, but when I do they just evade-evade-evade-invis then we are back to square one or I'm dead cause they burst me down

Ah yes, the classic burst shatter mesmer. I know that it can be quite infuriating fighting them or better said not fighting them because you can't fight them when they've stunned you and pretty much one shot you. The best advice I can give you if you're fighting shatter mesmers are as follows:

• Be aware of your surroundings. If you're defending a capture point and you see a mesmer from the distance like in Legacy of the Foefire and you see the mesmer enter stealth, expect them to burst you at any moment. Running away to waste their stealth isn't going to help much because they have teleport and overall better mobility than a warrior. Have the axe/shield weapon set prepared and be ready to dodge or block once the mesmer appears. Have some stun breakers that grant you stability like Dolyak Signet or Balanced Stance. I recommend Balanced Stance due to the critical hits immunity.

• Condi mesmer can also be annoying, but keep in mind that landing your Eviscerate or Arcing Slice on a clone/phantasm still cleanses conditions. Combine that with Berserker Stance and you shouldn't have a lot of problems with conditions.

• Keep pressure on the mesmer. What I mean by this is if you swapped to axe/shield, keep auto attacking and using Cyclone Axe to deal a lot of damage. Once the mesmer dodges, use Shield Bash just as they're about to end their dodge and follow it up with Eviscerate. Eviscerate deals a lot of damage to a mesmer, especially if they're not using something like Demolisher's Amulet.

1. Ranger; I don't always have a problem with them but I've run into a couple that I just could not deal with. Invis/kiting were giving me grief and would bait out my reflect

Reflecting their shots and LoSing them is the best way to fight a longbow ranger. Greatsword can help you close the gap and once you do that, expect for the ranger to switch to greatsword. You've got the advantage because rangers can't swap weapons as fast as a warrior and they don't have a shield which they can use to block attacks. If the ranger uses Signet of Stone, wait for two seconds and continue the pressure.

1. Necro; If they kite me hitting me constantly with cc and condi I just get kind of shut down.

If you're not running Berserker Stance with Cleansing Ire, you're not going to have an easy time fighting necromancers.

TL;DR I seem to have trouble with condi and getting kited despite my gap closers.

Warrior is by far the easiest profession to be kited. No matter what you do, you'll easily get kited especially if your opponent is good at kiting.

@Hoodie.1045 said:Warrior is by far the easiest profession to be kited. No matter what you do, you'll easily get kited especially if your opponent is good at kiting.

Thanks for all the tips! This part however is disheartening despite all that. I'm still trying to find my pvp class and maybe warrior isn't good for that if in the end I'll just be led around in circles and pecked to death. It seems being locked into melee for the most part, despite how fun it is, it won't be the most effective for pvp/wvw. Theif or ranger maybe a good alternative?

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@Hoodie.1045 said:Warrior is by far the easiest profession to be kited. No matter what you do, you'll easily get kited especially if your opponent is good at kiting.

Thanks for all the tips! This part however is disheartening despite all that. I'm still trying to find my pvp class and maybe warrior isn't good for that if in the end I'll just be led around in circles and pecked to death. It seems being locked into melee for the most part, despite how fun it is, it won't be the most effective for pvp/wvw. Theif or ranger maybe a good alternative?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't play warrior, far from it. In fact, it's one of the best profession for PvP/WvW, even core warrior. You don't have to worry about being kited. That part only comes from a core engineers' perspective. Ranger isn't exactly the best at kiting. All you can do is close the gap and force them to switch to greatsword.

Keep playing warrior. It's got good survivability, condition resistance and just about anything to fight against most professions. If you're a new player and if you're interested in playing multiple professions, ranger would be your next best step and leave thief for last.

Hello,

Maybe you could share your build? It'd be easier for us to give proper feedback. Or better, a video of your gameplay?

I mainly do WvW, playing as standard core warrior. I used to favor Might Makes Right and the Runes of Durability, but went back to Berserker's Power and Runes of Strength. Damage is always a good way to survive:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR3ejMdQZHWFCmhApIGICK9Lm+YwCgIYAwT4FWBA-jlCEQBtR3AEeAAR4CA4P1fewBBgJK9Sx+DYUJIAOCAZRZAZAqGDA-w

Against conditions: a warrior is not bad, especially with Berserker's Stance and Brawler's Recovery. However, a good condi player will tear you down, simply taking his/her time to wear your CDs out. A warrior is a very readable class in the end, and easily killable, as long as you take your time. Be aware of the condi burst combos a class can inflict, expect them during a fight and avoid them accordingly (dodge or blocks). This means getting knowledgeable about other class mechanics (scourge AoE, mesmer shatter combos, and so on). No panacea I'm afraid.

Against dragonhunter: it's a 50-50 fight. You need to reflect what you can reflect, dodge what you cannot (unblockable shots). You need to trigger traps without taking damage (dodge in then out, GS #3). You must not remain on symbols. Basically, be aggressive to force defensive CDs off the opponent, and a (short) window of opportunity will come eventually . When a DH uses their elite, you're half-way there (keep pressure, but don't be suicidal).

Against mesmer: the bane of the warrior. A mesmer has more mobility than you , more CC, more evade, more breakstun and more burst. You need to be aware of basic burst combos, and pay attention to illusions. If you can, kill illusions as much as possible - a lot of illusions means a shatter will come after a CC - but don't rush to melee at all time (although pressure is important, as in all fights). Condi mesmers: just refuse the fight, even if you can survive the condi pressure by paying attention, they have too many ways to kite you for you to kill them.

Against rangers: you should be able to win, as long as you can use terrain to mitigate longbow damage (don't fight on open fields), alongside with the reflect (just remember the LB burst usually comes after a CC, so keep a breakstun at hand). A ranger has more mobility than you, but you can still chase effectively. Once the ranger switches to melee weapon set, you should be alright (just pay attention to the GS block and stun if they use a GS, be careful of the double maul). Also, check the pet they use: this helps to anticipate/dodge a burst (gazelle...), predict/interrupt a defensive stance (a smoke field to give stealth...), and so on.

Necro: scourges can be hard because of the condi pressure: take your time, don't stay in the AoE, don't waste your CS's on barriers, and you should win (although barely). Core necro is a win, reaper depends on the opponent's skill (e.g. don't melee a shrouded necro).

There are other unfavorable matchups out there. There are two advices I can give:

• Know your own class. Do you weapon swap to take advantage of sigils? Do you use Reckless Dodge efficiently? Do you exhaust opponent's stability (or break stun) before bursting with Bull's Charge? Do you use skill retargetting as a fighting technique (GS #5, Bull's Charge, Eviscerate, Shield's Bash...)?
  • Know your enemy. Actually, very few players are advanced players, be it in PvP or WvW. I suggest you simply spend a couple of hours on each class to get familiar with them, especially after you get countered hard. You'll see first hand how an opponent kills you, that'll give you some ideas :)

I don't play PvP, expect for occasional dailies. I've found that core is a bit inferior to spellbreaker, and had to use an aggressive build to obtain decent results (berserker amulet). This is what I've been using:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR3ejMdQZH25BmhApIGICKLAigBQ/ipPGwT4FeeA-jpBHABts/AAXAADeAANfEAaqMwAHEAA

Happy gaming to you.

@"Elegie.3620" said:Hello,

Maybe you could share your build? It'd be easier for us to give proper feedback. Or better, a video of your gameplay?

I mainly do WvW, playing as standard core warrior. I used to favor Might Makes Right and the Runes of Durability, but went back to Berserker's Power and Runes of Strength. Damage is always a good way to survive:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR3ejMdQZHWFCmhApIGICK9Lm+YwCgIYAwT4FWBA-jlCEQBtR3AEeAAR4CA4P1fewBBgJK9Sx+DYUJIAOCAZRZAZAqGDA-w

Against conditions: a warrior is not bad, especially with Berserker's Stance and Brawler's Recovery. However, a good condi player will tear you down, simply taking his/her time to wear your CDs out. A warrior is a very readable class in the end, and easily killable, as long as you take your time. Be aware of the condi burst combos a class can inflict, expect them during a fight and avoid them accordingly (dodge or blocks). This means getting knowledgeable about other class mechanics (scourge AoE, mesmer shatter combos, and so on). No panacea I'm afraid.

Against dragonhunter: it's a 50-50 fight. You need to reflect what you can reflect, dodge what you cannot (unblockable shots). You need to trigger traps without taking damage (dodge in then out, GS #3). You must not remain on symbols. Basically, be aggressive to force defensive CDs off the opponent, and a (short) window of opportunity will come eventually . When a DH uses their elite, you're half-way there (keep pressure, but don't be suicidal).

Against mesmer: the bane of the warrior. A mesmer has more mobility than you , more CC, more evade, more breakstun and more burst. You need to be aware of basic burst combos, and pay attention to illusions. If you can, kill illusions as much as possible - a lot of illusions means a shatter will come after a CC - but don't rush to melee at all time (although pressure is important, as in all fights). Condi mesmers: just refuse the fight, even if you can survive the condi pressure by paying attention, they have too many ways to kite you for you to kill them.

Against rangers: you should be able to win, as long as you can use terrain to mitigate longbow damage (don't fight on open fields), alongside with the reflect (just remember the LB burst usually comes after a CC, so keep a breakstun at hand). A ranger has more mobility than you, but you can still chase effectively. Once the ranger switches to melee weapon set, you should be alright (just pay attention to the GS block and stun if they use a GS, be careful of the double maul). Also, check the pet they use: this helps to anticipate/dodge a burst (gazelle...), predict/interrupt a defensive stance (a smoke field to give stealth...), and so on.

Necro: scourges can be hard because of the condi pressure: take your time, don't stay in the AoE, don't waste your CS's on barriers, and you should win (although barely). Core necro is a win, reaper depends on the opponent's skill (e.g. don't melee a shrouded necro).

There are other unfavorable matchups out there. There are two advices I can give:

• Know your own class. Do you weapon swap to take advantage of sigils? Do you use Reckless Dodge efficiently? Do you exhaust opponent's stability (or break stun) before bursting with Bull's Charge? Do you use skill retargetting as a fighting technique (GS #5, Bull's Charge, Eviscerate, Shield's Bash...)?
  • Know your enemy. Actually, very few players are advanced players, be it in PvP or WvW. I suggest you simply spend a couple of hours on each class to get familiar with them, especially after you get countered hard. You'll see first hand how an opponent kills you, that'll give you some ideas :)

I don't play PvP, expect for occasional dailies. I've found that core is a bit inferior to spellbreaker, and had to use an aggressive build to obtain decent results (berserker amulet). This is what I've been using:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQNAR3ejMdQZH25BmhApIGICKLAigBQ/ipPGwT4FeeA-jpBHABts/AAXAADeAANfEAaqMwAHEAA

Happy gaming to you.

Thanks for all the detail info! If I decide to stick with warrior I defiantly upload some gameplay for critique. I'm kind of on the fence about it right now. On one had I did pretty well in WvW (killed more than I died) considering I was running without runes/food/only half my trinkets and crapy sigils (I haven't geared myself out yet cause I have no gold). On the other I feel like I might hit a wall with this profession. (e.g. I hit my personal skill cap and am doomed to forever get crapped on by some other profession because there is no way for me to overcome the gap).

I'm constantly torn whether to play spellbreaker or core in WvW. Core has more damage and CC, but SB has some great defensive abilities (Featherfoot grace, Full counter) and Magebane tether is nice to have. Sometimes I run dagger/shield + GS, sometimes I swap to axe. I haven't found a good all-purpose build for myself yet.

@Traveller.7496 said:I'm constantly torn whether to play spellbreaker or core in WvW. Core has more damage and CC, but SB has some great defensive abilities (Featherfoot grace, Full counter) and Magebane tether is nice to have. Sometimes I run dagger/shield + GS, sometimes I swap to axe. I haven't found a good all-purpose build for myself yet.

i feel you bro

@Hoodie.1045 said:

I'm not saying that you shouldn't play warrior, far from it. In fact, it's one of the best profession for PvP/WvW, even core warrior. You don't have to worry about being kited. That part only comes from a core engineers' perspective. Ranger isn't exactly the best at kiting. All you can do is close the gap and force them to switch to greatsword.

Keep playing warrior. It's got good survivability, condition resistance and just about anything to fight against most professions. If you're a new player and if you're interested in playing multiple professions, ranger would be your next best step and leave thief for last.

imo ranger especially druid is one of the best classes to kite, even soulbeast can do that quite efficient if done right

• 4 months later...

I to am relatively new to warrior and main DH and everytime i asked the question on how to get better the core of all the answers seem the same EVERYTHING has a weakness you must learn what you are fighting, be it maki g the toon or just taking your time with it. Ive just really started in WvW only a lvl 300 which isnt bad but when compared to others im still a newb, which is my point. Other ppl have been at this they've put there time in. When i swap characters and go against a DH i annihilate them ... Why? Because i know what all the animations look like and what the cool downs are. But since starting in wvw im, hands down, waaay better in pvp ranked and wvw. But thats not saying much cause i sucked b4 lol. The real importa t part find somthing you enjoy playing until you KNOW all aspects, ti you dont e en need to look at your cool down timers any more... you just know and be aware of what you can do and more importantly what you CAN'T do at the time or for the time being, due to positioning, skill ( theres and yours) and so on. In closing to this rant all aspects of waarior is beastly and menacing and they can use a rifles and a longbows for those pesky rangers

Only talk about WvW:Warrior is the only class that you can go fully glass but still as bunky as a real bunker ( e.g. FB).The major defense of warrior come from trait/utility but not gears, so you can go full offensive.Defense trait alone give u invul + stab, paired with featherfoot you are immune to everything for 5 seconds. Utility get EP + BS pair with healing signet, you get another 5 seconds god mode. so together you have 10 seconds god mode every 40 seconds. it's enough to output all your burst then leave safely, that's why you always see 1 single warrior dare to rush into a 20+ zerg trolling around then escape right away.Warrior is the frontline of the frontlines.

Playing warrior in PvP or WvW will make you rage most of the fights specially if you are playing core warrior.If you look at warrior skills, most of them were initially designed with the intention of 1v1 supremacy because that is what warrior excels at. However, over the years and with the introduction of new expansions and new skills which gave other professions lots of stun breaks, evades, and stability, the warrior stun skills that were designed to have 1vs1 supremacy were completely destroyed to the point that stuns are now a very rare occurrence.

• Fighting Mesmers with warrior is a NO; warrior cannot stun them at all because they can break stun on evade (really anet? even a 4 second cooldown on this trait is still too strong; it will require warrior to have stuns every 4 seconds for the entire fight just to cancel the trait. It is ridiculous!)

• Dragon hunter is not that hard to fight, but it requires you to have some experience with warrior skills. If the dragon hunter is standing on the traps you can dodge right at them to activate them and immediately use #3 skill on sword to evade all of them, then switch to shield 5 and block the range attacks and start closing the gap. If he is using blocks, then use the traits and sigils that grant you 6 seconds of unblockable attacks.

• ranger is another profession that is too strong against warrior because of stealth, evades, stunbreaks and unblockable attacks. The best way to fight these rangers at start is to dodge twice their initial snipe because they have unblockable attacks and if you block with the shield you are going to get wreck.

• necros are extremely OP against core warriors and there is not much you can do against them except play Spellbreaker or rifle builds.

Just as a thief, mesmer, ranger will dance all around and using stealth/mobility to kill you, you need to use your mobility and line of sight and the likes to outwit them.

Most Deadeyes, Rangers and Mesmers will kill you by keeping their distance and having a wide array of abilities you cant play around too well. Like unblockable attacks and greater mobility, stealth etc. Dont bother chasing them, make them greedy for you by taking a punch or two and run the other way, once their mobility actives are down you can turn and smack them.They win the game by playing on their toes and abusing their ability to fight on their terms. You win the game by managing to fight them in melee which is your home turf.

• 4 weeks later...

full zerker equips, ++ damage runes+sigils, food or no food, damage traits, some defense sigils and traits...

and precision and speed (from your fingers) in dealing damage.

with that on you, your spellbreaker can deal with 2 people of some classes easily. and most soulbeasts and other rangers (except pro druids and pro invis dragonhunters (w/ rune of the trapper) with heavy ranged and close ranged damage and some traps who can "teleport"/jump using the virtue like staff druids) are easy as potatoes, which, according to these forums, are bane of close-combat fighters.

with that said, (about the rangers), you must know what weapon(s) synergize(s) with GS 3 and GS 5 for your secondary.

• 1 year later...

I've been playing a warrior for about a year now, mostly on wvw. Avarage score of mine was 1:10 win/death in 1 on 1. Now it's about 3:10 and getting better. Never tried any other classes, cause warrior is a reall challenge for me. That's what i like about him. And yeah, spellbreakers are always wellcomed in any zerg.

@RUS.9265 said:I've been playing a warrior for about a year now, mostly on wvw. Avarage score of mine was 1:10 win/death in 1 on 1. Now it's about 3:10 and getting better. Never tried any other classes, cause warrior is a reall challenge for me. That's what i like about him. And yeah, spellbreakers are always wellcomed in any zerg.

Nice thread necro.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@RUS.9265 said:I've been playing a warrior for about a year now, mostly on wvw. Avarage score of mine was 1:10 win/death in 1 on 1. Now it's about 3:10 and getting better. Never tried any other classes, cause warrior is a reall challenge for me. That's what i like about him. And yeah, spellbreakers are always wellcomed in any zerg.

Nice thread necro.

He also posted the exact same lines in the other thread too.