Unable to purchase gems [Merged]

When I try to buy gems using either paypal or online banking (only options available to me), once I get to the confirmation screen and click confirm, I get taken back to the start with a vague error massage that shows for 1/2 second saying "an error has occurred."

I have been able to buy gems in the past just fine. This problem is here for at least 3 days (that is when I tried to buy gems), but it could be much longer.

I really want to gem some of the limited time stuff from the gem store, so I thought about those retail gem cards that can be redeemed, but they are unfortunately not available in my country. They are however for sale on some shady game key websites. Does anybody know if these are safe or if ANet will ban you for buying these?

Or can I expect the issue to be fixed soon? You would expect making sure people can give you their money would be top priority for most companies, right?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Capitol.3815 said:Also been unable to buy gems for almost a week now. I submitted a ticket in-game but nothing came of it and hasnt worked since they maintenance'd the gem store the other night either.

Submitting a 'ticket'(bug report) in-game will garner no response as indicated on the Bug Report window. You can contact the Billing CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below and 'Submit a Ticket' for assistance.

Good luck.

yeah the issue came again, support fixed it for me a few days ago but again not able to purchase gems with debit, credit or even paypal, not working on mine or wife's account either, tried fully resetting the connection and request a new ip address from my ISP and nothing :( had to go to support again so see if they can fix it

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey folks -- I talked to CS about this and they said a couple of useful things:

• This sort of issue can be caused by one (or more) of several different things, so submitting a ticket is essential.
  • Please use "PAYMENT" or "BILLING" as the issue. Don't use something like "in-game" or "technical" as the reason, because the latter will result in the ticket being routed to the wrong people.
  • Please don't submit a payment or purchase issue via an in-game report. Those reports go to bug testers and they cannot help you fix a payment issue. Bug reports are very helpful to us, and we appreciate them, but for payment or purchase issues, you are an individual, and your issue may be unique, so do toss us a ticket! :)

• 2 months later...

Message received: "Unfortunately an error has occurred. Please try again later!"

Hello, I've been trying to buy gems for over a week now. Prior to that, I would get this error occasionally but eventually I would be able to purchase gems. Now it seems I can never buy them, there's always an error pop-up. I've tried numerous times daily for over a week. The error pops up for less than a second.

My sister is able to purchase gems on her account with no issues. So I had her log into my account and try to purchase gems with both my card and her card. I wanted to see if it's any issue on my end with my firewall, download, or credit card. She got the error as well when she tried to purchase gems using both my credit card and hers. She's also still able to buy gems on her account just fine. So it really seems like it's an issue with my account. Can someone please help me?

Thank you in advance. :)

I am also in this situation. Logged a support ticket on Monday, got an additional request back from support, followed up with them and now I am waiting on a response back. If I hear back I will post anything they come up with. I made purchases a couple weeks with no problem, last 4 days I have not been able to, checked with CC companies and PayPal, not attempts have been made to deny, so it isn't get past their servers.

@Fawkes.3429 said:Hello, I've been trying to buy gems for over a week now. Prior to that, I would get this error occasionally but eventually I would be able to purchase gems. Now it seems I can never buy them, there's always an error pop-up. I've tried numerous times daily for over a week. The error pops up for less than a second.

My sister is able to purchase gems on her account with no issues. So I had her log into my account and try to purchase gems with both my card and her card. I wanted to see if it's any issue on my end with my firewall, download, or credit card. She got the error as well when she tried to purchase gems using both my credit card and hers. She's also still able to buy gems on her account just fine. So it really seems like it's an issue with my account. Can someone please help me?

Thank you in advance. :)

You can contact the Billing CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below and 'Submit a Ticket' for assistance. That's the best way for personalized response.

Good luck.

I've been trying to buy gems for the last week also. I have tried 4 credit cards and my debt card along with a PayPal account and have not been able to. If anyone gets help please let me know so that I'll be able to try the fix and get some gems. Thank you for all the help!

@Scooter.4819 said:I've been trying to buy gems for the last week also. I have tried 4 credit cards and my debt card along with a PayPal account and have not been able to. If anyone gets help please let me know so that I'll be able to try the fix and get some gems. Thank you for all the help!

You will need to contact the Billing CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below and 'Submit a Ticket' for assistance.

Good luck.

Same issue here. Opened a ticket 3 days ago, followed up yesterday, and did not get any reply whatsoever. Seeing as this is one of their source of revenue, I don't really understand why this isn't being treated with some sort of importance.

I just started playing about a week+ ago, bought both expansions, and have been really enjoying the game so far. I just hope this isn't a reflection of what their customer service would be like for all other issues as it does not give a very good first impression imo