[Question] Bikini Armour! when? :)

Liewec.2896

As an armor...no. As a cosmetic...I guess. As a guy I like a sexy looking woman but as a person in the game I am tired of female characters always oversexualized. Why does less clothing always have to be a woman's thing? Looking at Eir and seeing her (and others like her) wearing a very open (albeit revealing) outfit in an area that has year round winter weather? Or the desert areas? Why also does my female characters get equipment that says boots but they are actually high heels? Let alone the fact the terrain to walk through in high heels...seriously, I am not a role player in many ways but I am not trying to think about walking through the Maguuma Jungles with most of my characters legs uncovered. You see male warriors (tanks) with full plate covering but the female warriors can have the same gear but visually have less protection because someone decided that having T&A exposed is what makes the female characters in games. As a cosmetic to do for fun...I can let it go...but to go with "this is armor" is pushing it. I hope ArenaNet does not consider this.

@Blocki.4931 said:I'm not playing a game to be reminded what would or wouldn't work irl to be honest.

Leather armor didn't really exist either, at least not in the way games and movies taught us. While immersion sure is important, a few reminders that this is fantasy in terms of armor as well wouldn't hurt anybody.

@"Liewec.2896" said:this is a bit of a
hot
topic
(pun intended!)
, i know some people are totally against the idea,but i'm wondering when we will finally get some super awesome bikini armour!?it is pretty much a requirement in an RPG!

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

i was hoping that we'd get some during this summer! but i'm still hoping that we'll get some for christmas! :blush:i'm ready to throw lots of money at my screen! :smile:

is anyone else eagerly awaiting bikini armour? :grin:

. I'd rather

I mean hell, I'm still annoyed at how ugly the female Phalanx armor looks compared to the male variant.

And this is far better fashion wars anyway.

Opinions.

Also using and linking to resetera in any argument is an automatic loss lol

How far does one take fantasy though? You can sit there and say "well, it's a game" but the fact remains that the game starts to break from reality in more ways than it already has. One thing to have dragons, Asura, etc. But when you have the female armor set that leaves a lot exposed you're just being more perverted than fantasy. Example, you take a male warrior and shoot an arrow at him. Realistically it would bounce off the armor. Do the same with a female character and all the archer would have to do is aim and the female warrior is either dead or badly injured. The only defense to this is that fighting/injuries are determined by stats and RNG mechanics. So you can sit there and say "well the armor's visual doesn't matter as long as the stats stay similar to the male counter part." You going into a fight with very sharp objects...why would you go into it exposed?

Also to note, leather armor was the most prominent armor used unless one was rich. It was cheap and easy to make where as metal armor (in particular steel) was expensive and took time to make. To sit there and say leather armor did not really exist because of movies and games is just downright ignorant to say...let alone basing it off of movies and games...

@kapri.5918 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:I'm not playing a game to be reminded what would or wouldn't work irl to be honest.

Leather armor didn't really exist either, at least not in the way games and movies taught us. While immersion sure is important, a few reminders that this is fantasy in terms of armor as well wouldn't hurt anybody.

hot
topic
(pun intended!)
, i know some people are totally against the idea,but i'm wondering when we will finally get some super awesome bikini armour!?it is pretty much a requirement in an RPG!

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

i was hoping that we'd get some during this summer! but i'm still hoping that we'll get some for christmas! :blush:i'm ready to throw lots of money at my screen! :smile:

. I'd rather

I mean hell, I'm still annoyed at how ugly the female Phalanx armor looks compared to the male variant.

Opinions.

How far does one take fantasy though? You can sit there and say "well, it's a game" but the fact remains that the game starts to break from reality in more ways than it already has. One thing to have dragons, Asura, etc. But when you have the female armor set that leaves a lot exposed you're just being more perverted than fantasy. Example, you take a male warrior and shoot an arrow at him. Realistically it would bounce off the armor. Do the same with a female character and all the archer would have to do is aim and the female warrior is either dead or badly injured. The only defense to this is that fighting/injuries are determined by stats and RNG mechanics. So you can sit there and say "well the armor's visual doesn't matter as long as the stats stay similar to the male counter part." You going into a fight with very sharp objects...why would you go into it exposed?

chainmail/platemail armor great against arrows(unless they are from longbows as the English longbow could penetrate all mail except high quality steel plate...….. not so great for swimming(reality is you should sink), not great against lightning attacks

so are we going to apply reality across the board or be selective with where we apply reality? It's a fantasy game and if skimpy light armors composed of silk, cotton, etc. can afford protection in this game. I think a chainmail bikini has no problem fitting in.

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

hot
topic
(pun intended!)

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

. I'd rather

Opinions.

chainmail/platemail armor great against arrows(unless they are from longbows as the English longbow could penetrate all mail except high quality steel plate...….. not so great for swimming(reality is you should sink), not great against lightning attacks

so are we going to apply reality across the board or be selective with where we apply reality? It's a fantasy game and if skimpy light armors composed of silk, cotton, etc. can afford protection in this game. I think a chainmail bikini has no problem fitting in.

But this is where fantasy makes sense. And is backed up through characters throughout the genre. For one, just because it is cloth do we sit there and say that you can then run around in skimpy attire. No. Because for each armor goes the story of the class that wears it. Thieves, hunters, rangers, etc have always worn leather armor (mixed with mail) throughout the genre. Where as priests, mages, warlocks, etc have worn cloth. And (ignoring the visuals) despite the protection they garner they still did not afford the same protection as plate armor. And with it came a specific reason why they wore certain armors. Leather for a decent amount of protection but the the maneuverability. Plate for tanks. Cloth because...well I don't know the specific Guild Wars lore why cloth armor is used but to use old D&D logic it is because too much iron/metal effects spells in a negative way. But to go on further, not until the visual rise of fantasy did we start sexualizing women of the genre. In fantasy books you always had women either in dresses that worked with whatever environment they were in that did not over expose any part of the body or you had warrior women fully clad in armor. No matter what kind. Never in books did you see women of fantasy going forth into battle with her breasts hanging out. But yet, with the rise of visual fantasy (comics, tv, movies) you see most of the women with little armor. J.R. Tolkien would hate fantasy today. GRR Martin probably hates the genre in relation to women. And look at his most prominent female warrior. Brienne Tarth. Clad in full plate when entering a battle...not some skimpy outfit. She is a warrior through and through. The women of GoT who are warriors or become warriors are covered in some sort of protection and even the "mages" have full covering with some showing of skin but not the levels of exposure that a lot of the armor here in GW2 has.

@kapri.5918 said:Also to note, leather armor was the most prominent armor used unless one was rich. It was cheap and easy to make where as metal armor (in particular steel) was expensive and took time to make. To sit there and say leather armor did not really exist because of movies and games is just downright ignorant to say...let alone basing it off of movies and games...

You're telling me leather armor was very common and for the poor people when linen and wool exist and actually protect against swords cutting into you? Come on mate. I didn't say leather was never used, but full leather armors are mostly a creation of the movie and game industry, at least in the form that they are shown.

You're conflating movie fantasy with game and tabletop fantasy.

Edit: reading through your other replies I really don't want to argue about this. We don't even disagree, so I won't bother continuing here.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@"kapri.5918" said:Also to note, leather armor was the most prominent armor used unless one was rich. It was cheap and easy to make where as metal armor (in particular steel) was expensive and took time to make. To sit there and say leather armor did not really exist because of movies and games is just downright ignorant to say...let alone basing it off of movies and games...

You're telling me leather armor was very common and for the poor people when linen and wool exist and actually protect against swords cutting into you? Come on mate. I didn't say leather was never used, but full leather armors are mostly a creation of the movie and game industry, at least in the form that they are shown.

You're conflating movie fantasy with game and tabletop fantasy.

Edit: reading through your other replies I really don't want to argue about this. We don't even disagree, so I won't bother continuing here.

You're right. I stand corrected on Leather armor relevancy. Here is a video on it I watched on it.

@kapri.5918 said:

hot
topic
(pun intended!)

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

. I'd rather

Opinions.

But this is where fantasy makes sense. And is backed up through characters throughout the genre. For one, just because it is cloth do we sit there and say that you can then run around in skimpy attire. No. Because for each armor goes the story of the class that wears it. Thieves, hunters, rangers, etc have always worn leather armor (mixed with mail) throughout the genre. Where as priests, mages, warlocks, etc have worn cloth. And (ignoring the visuals) despite the protection they garner they still did not afford the same protection as plate armor. And with it came a specific reason why they wore certain armors. Leather for a decent amount of protection but the the maneuverability. Plate for tanks. Cloth because...well I don't know the specific Guild Wars lore why cloth armor is used but to use old D&D logic it is because too much iron/metal effects spells in a negative way. But to go on further, not until the visual rise of fantasy did we start sexualizing women of the genre. In fantasy books you always had women either in dresses that worked with whatever environment they were in that did not over expose any part of the body or you had warrior women fully clad in armor. No matter what kind. Never in books did you see women of fantasy going forth into battle with her breasts hanging out. But yet, with the rise of visual fantasy (comics, tv, movies) you see most of the women with little armor. J.R. Tolkien would hate fantasy today. GRR Martin probably hates the genre in relation to women. And look at his most prominent female warrior. Brienne Tarth. Clad in full plate when entering a battle...not some skimpy outfit. She is a warrior through and through. The women of GoT who are warriors or become warriors are covered in some sort of protection and even the "mages" have full covering with some showing of skin but not the levels of exposure that a lot of the armor here in GW2 has.

Are you familiar with Red Sonja?

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

hot
topic
(pun intended!)

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

. I'd rather

Opinions.

Very...I really did not like that movie.

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

hot
topic
(pun intended!)

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

. I'd rather

Opinions.

Are you familiar with Dejah Thoris…….. WAY before the Tolkien books and naked as a jaybird

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

hot
topic
(pun intended!)

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

. I'd rather

Opinions.

Are you familiar with Dejah Thoris…….. WAY before the Tolkien books and naked as a jaybird

Have to say I was not familiar with her. Had to look her up. Interesting concept though...to build a society where nudity is paramount to the system. Did armor have any relevance to them or did they fight naked as well? Do not know as that when I watched the movie it kind of turned me away from getting into the books.

@kapri.5918 said:

hot
topic
(pun intended!)

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

. I'd rather

Opinions.

Have to say I was not familiar with her. Had to look her up. Interesting concept though...to build a society where nudity is paramount to the system. Did armor have any relevance to them or did they fight naked as well? Do not know as that when I watched the movie it kind of turned me away from getting into the books.

all martians were naked fighting or otherwise.... they wore ornamental metals but it was not armor. They fought with swords and had pistols and rifles..... The book A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs was published in 1917

@AllNightPlayer.1286 said:

@Liewec.2896 said:it is pretty much a requirement in an RPG!Well, if we want to go full RPG I hope, every bearer of this “armour” get’s a debuff, that they only have 500 HP. Then, it is realistic.

and if we want realism I would hope every bearer of full metal armor would instantly sink and not be able to swim

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

hot
topic
(pun intended!)

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

. I'd rather

Opinions.

all martians were naked fighting or otherwise.... they wore ornamental metals but it was not armor. They fought with swords and had pistols and rifles..... The book A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs was published in 1917

I'm guessing the death count was pretty high as well. Nothing against the books but having armor seems like an intelligent decision. Funny thing though is in real life there have been actual societies who went into battle butt naked. Forget the name of the particular one I am thinking of (Celts?) but they also got so excited in battle that their weapons were not the only thing hard. Further in history on why armor of some sort is a smart idea but during the American Civil War, the only thing one wore was the uniform. A lot of deaths and, most importantly, loss of limbs did not happen when getting shot but after the matter when disease and infection set into the wound. Where if the soldiers had worn adequate protective armor they would have bounced the shots and protected themselves...history would be a lot different if the Confederacy used shields.

@kapri.5918 said:

hot
topic
(pun intended!)

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

. I'd rather

Opinions.

I'm guessing the death count was pretty high as well. Nothing against the books but having armor seems like an intelligent decision. Funny thing though is in real life there have been actual societies who went into battle butt naked. Forget the name of the particular one I am thinking of (Celts?) but they also got so excited in battle that their weapons were not the only thing hard. Further in history on why armor of some sort is a smart idea but during the American Civil War, the only thing one wore was the uniform. A lot of deaths and, most importantly, loss of limbs did not happen when getting shot but after the matter when disease and infection set into the wound. Where if the soldiers had worn adequate protective armor they would have bounced the shots and protected themselves...history would be a lot different if the Confederacy used shields.

Yeah, armor became ineffective after gunpowder..... I don't think shields would have done much good either considering that the soldier had to lug a rifle aroundmaking t the shield a burden and the bullets would have penetrated the shield

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

hot
topic
(pun intended!)

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

. I'd rather

Opinions.

Yeah, armor became ineffective after gunpowder..... I don't think shields would have done much good either considering that the soldier had to lug a rifle aroundmaking t the shield a burden and the bullets would have penetrated the shield

With Civil War Rifles the shield would have stood up. The innovations afterwards though. And yes, I doubt that a soldier would have carried a rifle and shield. I was thinking the front line carried shields only while the second, third, and fourth line had the rifles. Similar to the Spartan Phalanx but with Rifles instead of spears/javelins. Still used formation maneuvers in the Civil War...even though the Spanish American War directly after did not use such tactics at all...go figure...

@kapri.5918 said:

hot
topic
(pun intended!)

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

. I'd rather

Opinions.

With Civil War Rifles the shield would have stood up. The innovations afterwards though. And yes, I doubt that a soldier would have carried a rifle and shield. I was thinking the front line carried shields only while the second, third, and fourth line had the rifles. Similar to the Spartan Phalanx but with Rifles instead of spears/javelins. Still used formation maneuvers in the Civil War...even though the Spanish American War directly after did not use such tactics at all...go figure...

In gw2 wearing full metal armor would be terrible against a guy with a rifle if we were applying realism. First the bearer of full metal armor would be extremely slow making a great target and the armor would offer scant protection against bullets. This is only if we are looking at it realistically..... In fact the female in the chain mail bikini would have a greater chance than her fully armored female counterpart because of a greater ability to dodge, duck and run quickly

I refer you all, especially the ones suggesting a health debuff for wearing a chainmail bikini, to a reinterpreted version of a classic from Dragon magazine.

https://deviantart.com/thevaultsofmctavish/art/Fortunately-i-was-wearing-my-armor-404640933

EDIT: Sorry for the Devian Tart link, but it's the best version I could find quickly.

I've wanted swimsuit outfits for awhile. Nothing as audacious as a metal bikini, but I can still roll with it. I figure, the designs are already in the game, they're pretty easy to implement, and they're in high demand, too.

The way I see it, the point of fantasy is to be, well, fantastic. To stretch the imagination, to play fast and loose with physics, to create idealized people and put them in extravagant circumstances. At its core, GW2 is a power fantasy, where we run around fighting monsters and saving villagers. Sex appeal is power, to a certain extent, and vice versa. Because of this relationship, an idealized form expressed, while attractive, is not necessarily sexualized. While the goal always remains kicking butt and taking names, I also want to look good while doing it. A revealing out is an expression of ideals, in body, form, and spirit. To be unashamed expresses emotional confidence, and the muscular form reveals great strength.

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:

hot
topic
(pun intended!)

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

. I'd rather

Opinions.

In gw2 wearing full metal armor would be terrible against a guy with a rifle if we were applying realism. First the bearer of full metal armor would be extremely slow making a great target and the armor would offer scant protection against bullets. This is only if we are looking at it realistically..... In fact the female in the chain mail bikini would have a greater chance than her fully armored female counterpart because of a greater ability to dodge, duck and run quickly

If you applied any realism to some of the heavy armor of the game it would clash. With the armor of GW2 yes they would be slow, makes a great target, but the armor would be great protection against bullets tbh...just because there is so much of it. Real bullets of our world...don't know. But strictly in GW2 then heavy plated armor should be able to bounce most rifle shots. And to be honest, just cause you can move quicker in a chain mail bikini does not make you safer from a bullet traveling thousands of times faster than you. You cannot outrun a bullet nor would you stand a chance on dodging every shot coming from a rifle from a competent shooter.

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:I've wanted swimsuit outfits for awhile. Nothing as audacious as a metal bikini, but I can still roll with it. I figure, the designs are already in the game, they're pretty easy to implement, and they're in high demand, too.

The way I see it, the point of fantasy is to be, well, fantastic. To stretch the imagination, to play fast and loose with physics, to create idealized people and put them in extravagant circumstances. At its core, GW2 is a power fantasy, where we run around fighting monsters and saving villagers. Sex appeal is power, to a certain extent, and vice versa. Because of this relationship, an idealized form expressed, while attractive, is not necessarily sexualized. While the goal always remains kicking butt and taking names, I also want to look good while doing it. A revealing out is an expression of ideals, in body, form, and spirit. To be unashamed expresses emotional confidence, and the muscular form reveals great strength.

When do you take fantasy to far? When do you sit there and say "So, how does this protect my character?" You have a steel bikini that only covers a small portion of the female body and we are supposed to throw reality with it? Yet again, we are supposed to ignore the over exposure of vital spots of the body to satisfy fashion? No. Other games have gone down this path and have suffered for it. This throw out reality cause I want my female character to be over sexualized in a bikini. I do not want this game to go down the path that Scarlet Blade did.

@kapri.5918 said:

hot
topic
(pun intended!)

9HXy4nT.png

my Red Sonja is ready!

. I'd rather

Opinions.

If you applied any realism to some of the heavy armor of the game it would clash. With the armor of GW2 yes they would be slow, makes a great target, but the armor would be great protection against bullets tbh...just because there is so much of it. Real bullets of our world...don't know. But strictly in GW2 then heavy plated armor should be able to bounce most rifle shots. And to be honest, just cause you can move quicker in a chain mail bikini does not make you safer from a bullet traveling thousands of times faster than you. You cannot outrun a bullet nor would you stand a chance on dodging every shot coming from a rifle from a competent shooter.

Heavy plate armor would not stop bullets. There is a reason that plate armor stopped being used in the early 17th century. Even those crude firearms made in the 16th and 17th century were easily penetrating plate armor.

Plate armor capable of stopping a bullet would have to be incredibly thick and would be so heavy that nobody would be able to wear it.