Can't decide on a race!

Archivist.8109

I loved my little female Asura mesmer, with one exception...there's this one long wind up attack noise she makes (sounds like a GRAAAAAAUGH noise) that drives me nuts to hear. Since I am on of those weird Chrono who prefers scepter, I found my character uses that noise every third AA hit. My Illusions make this noise so hearing my character along with 3 illusions making the noise, it was getting bad so I swapped my gear over to a female Human. I can turn off the irritating out running a centaur nonsense but I cannot turn off that gods awful Asura noise.

@rabidsmiles.5926 said:I loved my little female Asura mesmer, with one exception...there's this one long wind up attack noise she makes (sounds like a GRAAAAAAUGH noise) that drives me nuts to hear. Since I am on of those weird Chrono who prefers scepter, I found my character uses that noise every third AA hit. My Illusions make this noise so hearing my character along with 3 illusions making the noise, it was getting bad so I swapped my gear over to a female Human. I can turn off the irritating out running a centaur nonsense but I cannot turn off that gods awful Asura noise.

I know exactly which sound you mean and yes I don't like it either - it sounds like over exertion on a class designed to be about looking effortless and elegant.

Interesting note - this "GRAAAAH" sound effect is also on blurred frenzy, although in the past it wasn't. Blurred frenzy for asura used to be silent, no vocal sounds, but I can't remember which patch added it or whether it is some bug but ever since that patch this sound effect has also been present on it. May have been before HoT, I can't remember.

I have become used to it whereas I used to hate it in the past, but it's still too crude and raw.

It's the only thing I don't like about my asura Mesmer.

@Curunen.8729 said:

@rabidsmiles.5926 said:I loved my little female Asura mesmer, with one exception...there's this one long wind up attack noise she makes (sounds like a GRAAAAAAUGH noise) that drives me nuts to hear. Since I am on of those weird Chrono who prefers scepter, I found my character uses that noise every third AA hit. My Illusions make this noise so hearing my character along with 3 illusions making the noise, it was getting bad so I swapped my gear over to a female Human. I can turn off the irritating out running a centaur nonsense but I cannot turn off that gods awful Asura noise.

I know exactly which sound you mean and yes I don't like it either - it sounds like over exertion on a class designed to be about looking effortless and elegant.

Interesting note - this "GRAAAAH" sound effect is also on blurred frenzy, although in the past it wasn't. Blurred frenzy for asura used to be silent, no vocal sounds, but I can't remember which patch added it or whether it is some bug but ever since that patch this sound effect has also been present on it. May have been before HoT, I can't remember.

I have become used to it whereas I used to hate it in the past, but it's still too crude and raw.

Do you mean this kind of battle cry the female asura does? I use female asura mesmer and if you mean this i like it.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

@Curunen.8729 said:

Do you mean this kind of battle cry the female asura does? I use female asura mesmer and if you mean this i like it.

Yes I suppose it does sound like a battle cry.

Fair enough I can understand some players might like it.

@Rennie.6750 said:Norn of course! It's probably the least fitting race lore-wise so it's rather funny. Also Norn mesmers are a rarity.

"Raven represents wisdom, cunning, trickery, and knowledge" - a pretty Mesmer-y spirit even with its association with the Underworld and death. Let's not forget Vilnia Shadowsong, the evil Raven shaman; Norn Mesmers may be comparatively uncommon in the player base, but their lore is very accommodating to it - moreso, in fact, than most other races.

• Like 1

When in doubt, go Norn. <3 Not only Raven but Snow Leopard also works so well as a totem! Mine is the latter and I actually really like the mirage addition from a theme standpoint, because mirages aren't just a desert thing, but found in the arctic in our world, for example. Also, I admit I just love Claudia Christian voicing her. Axe also suits norn very well if you go Mirage, they actually look very elegant with it which somehow contrasts well. :D

But really, I think you can make any race have reasons if you want an actual theme combo, but if you're just looking for gameplay I'd just select what looks and feels best to control.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@tinyreborn.1938 said:

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:Wait! Are there more races other than asura in game?

They called BOOKAH ,yes . Side note hooman female have best animations for GS combos ,for me .Rest can be w/e on asuraThat sidenote is irrelevant. You can have the cake and eat it too. Just be an Asura and use watchknight. If anyone disagree they can bite my golden metal kitten.

• 3 years later...
On 11/16/2021 at 10:22 PM, Andrew.2604 said:

Charr Mesmer because they are copycats. 

You jest, but I have a female charr mesmer called Triplicat 😄

In all seriousness though, don't pick Charr for a mesmer. They really aren't graceful at all.

The way my one holds her greatsword and waddles with it is ridiculous.