Rune and Sigil Changes - 13 November 2018 [Merged] — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Rune and Sigil Changes - 13 November 2018 [Merged]

Quite a few feedback threads have arisen today in relation to the major changes to runes and sigils. Here's a thread in which you could share your impressions of the changes. You can cite observations about individual changes, overall opinions, and so forth. Having a single thread on this subject will make it easier to see feedback in a large scale.

Please keep in mind:

• The changes are only a few hours old, and we understand that initial impressions may change. You can edit your post if you decide you'd like to add more details, explain your thoughts, or offer an updated impression.
  • Community members who do detailed research into changes of this kind will need some time to provide that data.
  • If you believe you have identified a bug with a rune or sigil, please post in the Bugs Subforum.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager: ArenaNet
Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

Tagged:
<13456710

Comments

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2018

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/november-13-salvage-runes-and-sigils/

Well well well what do we have here

Guess we know why they haven't done anything about a certain Sigil.

This is a lot of stuff to take in, but I'm really liking what I've seen so far. Ogre runes without randomness attached to it (might be viable for many more situations now, having an ally to deal a bit of damage and soak some is immensely useful, now even outside of dungeons?? :P)

Smugly chuckling forever.
    My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭

And i still cannot understand what was it all about- I mean why people were so angry with this sigil...

Seek, and you shall find.

@Arden.7480 said:
    And i still cannot understand what was it all about- I mean why people were so angry with this sigil...

I was very early on the crafting train, so I didn't have to experience prices over 3g mostly. I didn't really have an issue with it skyrocketing as much, I liked how exclusive the armor was because I'm a bit of a jerk.

__

Also note that there are only examples, not a full list of changed runes and sigils. The change to Sigil of Concentration is a big oof imo. from 33% after swap to 10% at all times. Depending on how acquisition has changed it might just drop really hard in price + more builds will struggle with 100% boon duration, which might not be a bad thing. Certainly simplifies it, as you now no longer have to swap before boon spamming.

My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

• And another hit to chronos. It seems anet hates chrono

• GDchiaScrub.3241GDchiaScrub.3241 Member ✭✭✭✭

Don't change my sigil of demon summoning.

D:

Holy Warriors of [Kazo] following Kazo doctrine guided by, Our Lord and Commander, Zudo in the holy Trinity of Him and his two firm glutes.

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:

D:

It will be Sigil of Reliable Demon Summoning! At least I'd hope so.

Rock Dog meta coming in hot though

• Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

As long as those components are tradeable. This mystic forge business seems like more trouble than its worth.

• mtpelion.4562mtpelion.4562 Member ✭✭✭

At a certain point I'm going to have to ask ArenaNet to start paying me a retainer fee for my suggestions since they keep using them lol.

• GDchiaScrub.3241GDchiaScrub.3241 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:

D:

It will be Sigil of Reliable Demon Summoning! At least I'd hope so.

Rock Dog meta coming in hot though

It'd be fine if such summons accept pet/minion traits more (Death Nova doesn't work while some others do for example). Also it's reliable in a garri fight during reset nights for WvW, since you can get ~5 or so per engagement. Otherwise it's for memes.

D:

Holy Warriors of [Kazo] following Kazo doctrine guided by, Our Lord and Commander, Zudo in the holy Trinity of Him and his two firm glutes.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Hope these salvage bits will be able to be sold via a vendor otherwise the problem will end up circular

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

@Randulf.7614 said:
    Hope these salvage bits will be able to be sold via a vendor otherwise the problem will end up circular

I'm thinking it will be some "rune/sigil dust" or something in multiple qualities, that you can refine like other materials via crafting. So it will be stored in material storage.

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

Sad they removed the weapon swap part from conc sigil, i would expect more gameplay enchancing aditions to sigils and runes and instead it looks like things are getting simpler.

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭

Looks interesting, thank you Arena.NET. Can't wait to get home and check things out.

"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

@phs.6089 said:
    Looks interesting, thank you Arena.NET. Can't wait to get home and check things out.

It's next week fyi

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

Prices are already jumping very high! I recommend not buying anything right now unless you really want to have a certain set in hopes it becomes great. It's a week of this, then it will normalize again, or very easy to simply craft it yourself! Personally, since I already have a set of most runes I've stocked up on some and now just wait for the patch to drop. Hopefully this will bring back some theory and build crafting, very exciting to me. Even if it only means that more runes are now more of the same, slightly different flavor. That would make me very happy already.

• Taelac.7036Taelac.7036 Member ✭✭✭

A guildmate asks: how will low-level characters obtain runes/sigils as they level up and change out their armor? Presumably they'll be able to craft them, but will new players find how to do that obvious? Will low level runes and sigils be craftable and tradeable, so that new characters/players can upgrade equipment through the trading post for a reasonable cost?

I'm pretty pleased with the notion overall, but I share the curiosity about how leveling gear will be addressed.

Good luck, have fun.

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭

November 13: Salvage Runes and Sigils.
    Runes and sigils are becoming salvageable. That’s right, no more minor runes and sigils clogging up your bag space!
    When runes and sigils are salvaged, they’ll yield a new material called a lucent mote. You’ll also have a chance to salvage rarer materials: symbols from sigils, and charms from runes. Lucent motes can be refined by all crafting disciplines and—along with symbols and charms—used in recipes to create sigils and runes.

Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/november-13-salvage-runes-and-sigils/
    Seriously, thank you for that great improvement! Can delete finishers without typing the name, and now that, thanks so much! <3 :D

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++NEW: AEP Asuran Expansion Project available on WIKI.
    +++New: GEM GW2 Exploration Map: Discover unusual places around tyria: Here (OSM map)

@Taelac.7036 said:
    A guildmate asks: how will low-level characters obtain runes/sigils as they level up and change out their armor? Presumably they'll be able to craft them, but will new players find how to do that obvious? Will low level runes and sigils be craftable and tradeable, so that new characters/players can upgrade equipment through the trading post for a reasonable cost?

I'm pretty pleased with the notion overall, but I share the curiosity about how leveling gear will be addressed.

They'll still be slotted in gear they drop. Low level runes only require 2 to 4 runes to get their effects anyway. Plus gear changes fast enough that you will rarely ever have any effect active. You don't have to buy a new gear set every 5 levels in this game either, so I don't see any issues coming up.

• Hesacon.8735Hesacon.8735 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Taelac.7036 said:

They'll still be slotted in gear they drop. Low level runes only require 2 to 4 runes to get their effects anyway. Plus gear changes fast enough that you will rarely ever have any effect active. You don't have to buy a new gear set every 5 levels in this game either, so I don't see any issues coming up.

Crests, medallions, etc are also available, and probably better for low level toons. They drop as level up rewards, so players should realize they exist their first time through.

• This sounds like the best news ever!

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Arden.7480 said:

I was very early on the crafting train, so I didn't have to experience prices over 3g mostly. I didn't really have an issue with it skyrocketing as much, I liked how exclusive the armor was because I'm a bit of a jerk.

__

Also note that there are only examples, not a full list of changed runes and sigils. The change to Sigil of Concentration is a big oof imo. from 33% after swap to 10% at all times. Depending on how acquisition has changed it might just drop really hard in price + more builds will struggle with 100% boon duration, which might not be a bad thing. Certainly simplifies it, as you now no longer have to swap before boon spamming.

Unless Rune of Leadership gets a +20% and all stats becoming all stats giving another ~3% resulting in a permanent +33% with less effort.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Arden.7480 said:

__

Unless Rune of Leadership gets a +20% and all stats becoming all stats giving another ~3% resulting in a permanent +33% with less effort.

Yeah, I already mentioned to a friend that the way it's written heavily suggests that it's simply less power on that single sigil, but that they will now just have to take the appropriate rune set alongside it.

• Taelac.7036Taelac.7036 Member ✭✭✭

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Taelac.7036 said:

Yes, but sometimes a rune or a sigil drops on gear that can't be used by that character, and if the upgrade is retained on salvaging the item, it can be slotted into existing gear to help it stretch until the next lucky drop or level reward. Veteran players know enough to work around being under-geared, but new players might struggle more if it hasn't been taken into account.

Good luck, have fun.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Arden.7480 said:

__

Yeah, I already mentioned to a friend that the way it's written heavily suggests that it's simply less power on that single sigil, but that they will now just have to take the appropriate rune set alongside it.

and Rune of Leadership's

when you use an elite skill, convert up to 2 conditions into boons of all nearby allies. (Cooldown: 45 seconds)

looks like a great candidate for being replaced based on the examples they have given.

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2018

NVM...

Well, lets hope it's for the best... I'm not happy about them changing craft recipes though. Let's see how ti goes though.

• glances at his 4 bank tabs packed with a stockpile of every single superior rune and sigil he's acquired since launch, starts rubbing hands together and laughing like Mr. Burns
    Cough That said this looks like it'll be a cool and interesting change, looking forward to it! Also looking forward to maybe salvaging something useful from some of the more plentiful runes, like Sunless.

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ExtraCosmic.9082 said:
    glances at his 4 bank tabs packed with a stockpile of every single superior rune and sigil he's acquired since launch, starts rubbing hands together and laughing like Mr. Burns
    Cough That said this looks like it'll be a cool and interesting change, looking forward to it! Also looking forward to maybe salvaging something useful from some of the more plentiful runes, like Sunless.

I have a entire guild bank on a personal guild (i'm old enough to have been able to do that when it was easy to get a guild bank through buying Influence) full of Runes and Sigils... Caching??

• perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2018

Hopefully while they're rebalancing things, they'll take the opportunity to rebalance crafting by putting these rune/sigil recipes on jeweler, which is otherwise pretty darn useless to anyone who isn't still working toward their first set of exotic gear.

Edit: Maybe add a recipe to Infuse runes/sigils so they give a little AR as well, for 500 jeweler.

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

Uh...a couple of those sigils might be slightly overtuned...

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

@ExtraCosmic.9082 said:
    glances at his 4 bank tabs packed with a stockpile of every single superior rune and sigil he's acquired since launch, starts rubbing hands together and laughing like Mr. Burns

It might not include superiors ...

That’s right, no more minor runes and sigils clogging up your bag space!

but maybe it will gain more interesting effects, depending on what they do with the #6 it could become a useful rune for WvW

The chance to extract runes and sigils from a salvaged item using a salvaging kit will change to a chance to salvage runes and sigils.

This is also not very clear.

• Here's what I'd like to know after reading the announcement -
    1) How am I supposed to get sigils/runes to salvage if they don't drop from salvaging gear anymore?
    2) Is salvaging sigils/runes the only way to acquire these new materials that will be needed for crafting them in reasonable quantities?

If the answer to 1) is "use upgrade extractors or BL Kits" and the answer to 2) is "Yes", then they're locking sigil/rune crafting behind a paywall which is not OK.

@Sieghilde.7632 said:

@DragonForHire.3621 said:
    Here's what I'd like to know after reading the announcement -
    1) How am I supposed to get sigils/runes to salvage if they don't drop from salvaging gear anymore?
    2) Is salvaging sigils/runes the only way to acquire these new materials that will be needed for crafting them in reasonable quantities?

If the answer to 1) is "use upgrade extractors or BL Kits" and the answer to 2) is "Yes", then they're locking sigil/rune crafting behind a paywall which is not OK.

They don't drop from salvaging gear anymore because when you salvage the gear there will be a chance the rune/sigil will also be salvaged and you'll get the mats. That's how I'm reading it, at least.

That is a reasonable interpretation of

The chance to extract runes and sigils from a salvaged item using a salvaging kit will change to a chance to salvage runes and sigils.

Especially when combined with https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/734483/#Comment_734483

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:
    Virtually all runes and sigils that were previously available from ONLY salvaging are receiving a recipe.

That does include Sigil of Nullification.

• @Sieghilde.7632 said:

They don't drop from salvaging gear anymore because when you salvage the gear there will be a chance the rune/sigil will also be salvaged and you'll get the mats. That's how I'm reading it, at least.

I figured I had to be missing something, and that would certainly be a reasonable answer. It also seems like the likely one now that I see it written down. For some reason it just didn't hit me that way when I first read the announcement.

• "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

edited November 6, 2018

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

This will likely get merged with https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/59770/runes-and-sigils-becoming-salvagable-plus-revamp#latest
    (referring to thread that is just "Runes and Sigils" in the title)

• Corrderio.5028Corrderio.5028 Member ✭✭
    edited November 6, 2018

I swear this has to be one of the best changes this game has done. Sigils/Runes/etc. from salvaging felt like a complete pain since they had no use/inventory clutter but now I can finally do something with them.

Now to invest in a salvage-o-matic...

EDIT: Wrong Thread. See below for my shame!

@Corrderio.5028 said:
    Sorry if it's been said already but...

How about an prompt message on the "The instance is full message" to let us queue into the instance when there is an opening instead of having to spam the Join option in the party/squad menu?

What has that got to do with runes and sigils?

• @Randulf.7614 said:

@Corrderio.5028 said:

How about an prompt message on the "The instance is full message" to let us queue into the instance when there is an opening instead of having to spam the Join option in the party/squad menu?

Wrong thread. Sorry... Let me edit that.

@Corrderio.5028 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Corrderio.5028 said:

Wrong thread. Sorry... Let me edit that.

No worries lol

• Kalendraf.9521Kalendraf.9521 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2018

Will this include new recipes to make Superior Rune of Snowfall and Superior Sigil of Mischief become more affordable? I never bought them back when they were so cheap, and just assumed they'd always be readily available. Also, my JP skills are so terrible that I never envisioned I'd ever have any shot at completing Winter's Presence. Yet I somehow managed to do finish the winter JP x3 last year (still shocked!), only to discover I'd completely missed the boat on the affordable runes and sigils. :s

Proud to be a member of the Charter Vanguard [CV] on the Henge of Denravi

• I'm excited about this!!

Just hoping that the change will also come with legendary weapon sigil swapping, since the reason they gave for not implementing it with legendary armor was messing with the in-game economy, and now that economy is going to be turned on its head, seems like a good time.

Unless they really think they're gonna make big money in the gem store with those upgrade extractors... :expressionless:

• I'm not happy that when i savalge an armor/weapon I automaticaly salvage the rune/sigil. nope. not happy at all.

@Destrumona.3794 said:
    I'm excited about this!!

Just hoping that the change will also come with legendary weapon sigil swapping, since the reason they gave for not implementing it with legendary armor was messing with the in-game economy, and now that economy is going to be turned on its head, seems like a good time.

Unless they really think they're gonna make big money in the gem store with those upgrade extractors... :expressionless:

Legendary sigil swapping is already in the game and was originally intended to ship with this change. Doesn't work on a couple of weapons though, so best to wait another week before trying.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.