Upgrade Extractor on Soulbound Equipment

I would imagine you are trying to extract a rune from karma-bought gear. @Khisanth.2948 is correct in that karma-bought gear cannot have extractions or salvage attempts done on it. However, karma-bought gear (in some cases) can be used as part of a 4x armor/weapon Mystic Forge recipe.You will have to buy and/or make new runes to replace what was lost.

@altermaven.7385 said:I would imagine you are trying to extract a rune from karma-bought gear. @Khisanth.2948 is correct in that karma-bought gear cannot have extractions or salvage attempts done on it. However, karma-bought gear (in some cases) can be used as part of a 4x armor/weapon Mystic Forge recipe.You will have to buy and/or make new runes to replace what was lost.

According to the wiki when I checked last time (two weeks back or so), karma-bought gear could be used with Upgrade Extractor but not Salvaged. The upgrade would be account bound.

I can imagine a change along with the latest update, but I don't recall anything in the patch notes...

This is one of the cases of ANet Consistency™ The game includes:

• Gear that can be salvaged, extracted, forged.
  • Gear that cannot be salvaged, extracted, or forged
  • Gear that can be salvaged, but not forged
  • Gear that can be forged, but not salvaged or extracted.
  • Gear that can be extracted, but not salvaged or forged.

I'm sure I've missed a permutation.Fortunately, this mostly only applies to a tiny fraction of rare & exotic gear (and all gear bought with karma).

I think rather than making a list of each individual situation, I'd rather ANet did a complete overhaul, where they started with a plan for how they want gear to work. Since that's unlikely to happen in our lifetime, I'd like them to simply include in the description if an item can't be salvaged or extracted or forged. (Yeah, those descriptions are getting long, aren't they? It's still the most efficient way to make sure people don't accidentally lose something.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:This is one of the cases of ANet Consistency™ The game includes:

• Gear that can be salvaged, extracted, forged.
  • Gear that cannot be salvaged, extracted, or forged
  • Gear that can be salvaged, but not forged
  • Gear that can be forged, but not salvaged or extracted.
  • Gear that can be extracted, but not salvaged or forged.

I'm sure I've missed a permutation.Fortunately, this mostly only applies to a tiny fraction of rare & exotic gear (and all gear bought with karma).

I think rather than making a list of each individual situation, I'd rather ANet did a complete overhaul, where they started with a plan for how they want gear to work. Since that's unlikely to happen in our lifetime, I'd like them to simply include in the description if an item can't be salvaged or extracted or forged. (Yeah, those descriptions are getting long, aren't they? It's still the most efficient way to make sure people don't accidentally lose something.)

Bottom line bad game design and it really needs to be addressed overhauled as suggested. One should be able to sell, breakdown and salvage everything and anything in their inventory.

• 1 year later...