What do you do for fun?

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:Raids: [...]

Want to know how i know its around 100 groups that do this? Because the LFG is always deserted in raids, I'd be surprised if it is even 100 active raiding groups at this point and more like 20-50. If it was like 1000+ groups the little singular LFG tab would be constantly loaded with people LFM 24/7, and yet thats not the case.

Considering that even my fairly short, mostly casual friend list has at least 12 people on it raiding weekly with different raid groups/communities (EU only) I challenge your assumption as wildly innacurate. I do however see that many of them semi-pug by asking around among friends (considering how often I as a person not regularly raiding get asked to fill in with this or that raid group) rather than putting their run on lfg if they are a few people short, so I'm definitely not convinced that few groups on lfg (which could also just mean that the groups that do go up on lfg are filled quickly) mean few people raiding.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:Dungeons are dead. Just because there are 2 groups a day, doesn't make them "active". Thousands of supporters on Reddit and countless threads on the forums/Reddit would prove that the dungeon system needs to be improved and brought back to life. It's supposed to be an MMO.Funny, I've been playing several of those dead dungeons lately with different friends, and everytime I asked around for people to join, there were more people expressing interest than room in the party.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:Why are you shifting semantics to defend ArenaNet when there have been underlining issues for
hardcore players
since the start?Did you ever consider that hardcore players may not be this game's target audience? I know I play GW2 instead of other games precisely because it lets me play the game rather than having to no-life it to be able to access most content, and many other people I know are here for the same reason.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:TL;DRStop lying, stop whiteknighting or these things won't get fixed.What exactly do you expect to be
fixed
? All the things you are complaining about in your post look to me as if they're done that way on purpose. We get a new map with lots of enjoyable bits and pieces to explore every few months, achievements and collections that you can complete if you enjoy them, or ignore with no further impact on your gameplay if you don't. The amount of "must do" content is very low, so you are free to choose what you would like to play, whether it's story, exploration, world bosses, meta events, dungeons, fractals, wvw, pvp, whatever. And best of all, you have that choice of what gameplay you enjoy even if you are fairly new, as the barrier to entry for most gameplay is very low.

The "price", if you want to call it that, is that there is not a lot of "high prestige" rewards, since the game is not built to primarily cater to the competitive type of player, but rather to the cooperative, casual one that plays games for the entertainment value. Optimizing game time and trying to be as efficient as possible is neither very rewarding nor in any way necessary in this game. That's what makes the game appealing to a wide target audience, and what sets the game apart from other, similar games. There's nothing to fix here, it's doing precisely what ANet set out to do.

Let's address several points here...

A gaming company needs to have a vast audience; this includes semi-hardcore and hardcore players. This game is extremely unrewarding for long-term players, and it's been made even more difficult over the years - this will hurt Guild Wars 2's longevity.

As mentioned previously; the only reason Guild Wars 2 stands out right now is because every other MMO goes P2W or is unstable. Bless, BDO, Revelation Online, Aion, BnS, etc... Once there is a game that offers slightly more than GW2 at a faster rate, people will swap and guild wars 2 will become a game that people won't quit because they've invested too much and new players will just avoid it. Much like WoW, Destiny 2, FFXIV, ESO and Tibia - these games are losing players, people only stay because of investments.

Guild Wars 2 has great art, potential and the team to pull this game to one of the new age defining MMOs, but sadly, they are stuck in this kitten phase of "we're comfortable right now, no change needed."

What needs "fixing"...
  1. A dungeon queue system with actual rewards, one daily reward, one actual repeater reward worth doing and no, not achievements.
  2. WvW needs a fix so it's actually profitable and not this boring train farmfest it currently is.
  3. Raids need actual rewards outside of legendary armors, converting raid currency to gold, fractal relics, no idea anything would work.
  4. Repeatable bi-weekly/weekly/monthly CMs for raids with reduced rewards, but enough to make worth doing.
  5. Moving away from this endless elite spec every expansion, create a new system, this is boring predictable and blasé at best.
  6. Map queue for meta maps so you're not forced to spam click and be forced an error message.
  7. New animations for each race, purchasable or toggle - not even WoW used any same animation twice for their races on launch, why do humans and sylvari share the same cast/idle stance?
  8. New armor skins, hello? Where the heck are all the armor skins - there are some EXCEPTIONALLY beautiful outfits on the gem store, a reformed outfit system is needed because this one is becoming archaic.
  9. New character selection screen display UI - I have 14~ or so characters, it's a mess. I can't even begin to imagine people with 69 characters.
  10. Reformed social system; it is so easy to harass / stalk / follow people, why was this system ever green-lighted? Why can I see people I blocked online?
  11. Precursor crafting is actually more expensive than the precursor themselves in some legendary cases - why is this not being addressed when it was supposed to be reversed?
  12. Why have daily and monthly reward system, then remove monthlies, then cap it all off?
  13. Battlegrounds PvP maps, move away from this dreadful 5v5 conquest that we've had for decades. Where are the 10v10 or 15v15 CtF / Domination / conquer modes?

These are some of the points; apart from "shiny items" there's literally nothing that stands out in GW2. Even WoW has a beautiful open world with its dated archaic engine because they have exceptionally talented artists. These points that I listed aren't just "niche things" they are critical systems that are now dead for the most part or just simply old / ignored.

On e spec part remove them all give classes their identy back. And dont give new stuff to them core game classes. They were perfect as they were in pre hot.

@Yargesh.4965 said:They have been incredibly clear that dungeons are not going to be worked on and that 5 player content is fractals. So you think they are wrong and will bang on about it until?

Well, they are correct, dungeon reworks are constantly being asked for, and a great many people agree with it, yes anet has said they wont do it, but that doesnt mean they are correct in their stance, a stance i do disagree with.

Well, last night I found I only needed two items for Garbage Collector, so I went and got them. It took me two hours to find a route into Fireheart Rise, which had me all over the place, only to log into another toon to check some of the drops I'd gotten against already equipped gear, and found that that character had already been there. /cry

• ArenaNet Staff

This is a merge of various threads made by the OP on the same topic. There doesn't appear to be anything new to say on the subject, and since no helpful advice from other players appears to have been found to be acceptable or actionable, there is no value in having repeats of the same opinion as thread starters every few months.

OP: Do not start a new thread on this topic again.

wvw!I like to skinny dip other maps 'bay' while they are there.the costume run, basically as far as you can get, qu-dos anyone that makes it to another bl's wp and gets one shotted by a legendary.the legendary attack, basically can you kill one, probably not but if you get close and in melee , the glitches teleport you out pretty randomly.the guild watches, we take bets.the naked dunk or the streaker dunk, basically run into the enemy zerg downs dunk one, live. very difficult now with all the red rings.shiney armour competitions, now replaced with aura stacking but same game.soloing towers, 2 for garris, 3 for sm.the list goes on...

• 1 year later...

Wow,I am playing casually 1 year now, almost everyday 2-4 hrs - reaching 4500 achs next week probably and i fkin wonder how can ppl get bored.Still have not touched WvW not a single time, raids being able to complete only w1,3,4, masteries 199.The only reason i have met the strong wish to quit, is because the game is so fucking beautiful and i do not have enough time to play relaxed, and i get bored of meeting this feeling all over again.Seeing ppl with 30k achievements and full legendaries, i guess that would mean i need 6 more years with no updates for me to catch up.If someone has not spent 15 usd for the expansions - well thats his problem.

Open World events, soloing champs and bounties, helping my guildmates with everything. And Fashion Wars 2. I wish Transmutation Charges were easily earnable outside gemstore.

@Vigio.4935 said:I am playing casually 1 year now, almost everyday 2-4 hrs - reaching 4500 achs next week probably and i kitten wonder how can ppl get bored.

Repeating the same content over and over again makes every game boring. Currently story chapters comes every 2 months. It takes 1 week to do everything about the new map, story and achievements. Raids and fractals are fun, but if you're doing it for 500th time it's not much fun anymore — more like routine.

Honestly I have the most fun in this game when I can forget about my goals and just go along with whatever's happening. Sometimes that's a meta-event or a legendary boss or a bounty train on the map I'm on, sometimes it's jumping into dungeons (or even raids) because someone in guild chat asked for an extra person, sometimes it's doing a mini dungeon I'd forgotten about because I happened to pass the entrance. Basically a combination of not being in any rush to get specific things done and open to saying yes to whatever's going on at the time and then just playing it because it's happening in my game rather than to check something off a list.

But it does help to have goals to get me out into different areas of the game so that's more likely to happen. Right now I'm working on picking up some mini pets I didn't get when their episodes were released, completing some collections I was part way through (and somehow ended up doing the whole Druid's Stone collection even though I hadn't started it) and collecting weapon and armour skins I didn't have. And amazingly between buying mini pets and skins I've actually run out of karma so I'm periodically doing things to speed up karma gain (mainly meta-events).

It's a lot of little things, but it's keeping me busy and means I'm currently using 4 or 5 of my level 80 characters for different things. As well as occasionally switching to a low level one to do some map completion and level up.

@Vigio.4935 said:Wow,I am playing casually 1 year now, almost everyday 2-4 hrs - reaching 4500 achs next week probably and i kitten wonder how can ppl get bored.Still have not touched WvW not a single time, raids being able to complete only w1,3,4, masteries 199.The only reason i have met the strong wish to quit, is because the game is so kitten beautiful and i do not have enough time to play relaxed, and i get bored of meeting this feeling all over again.Seeing ppl with 30k achievements and full legendaries, i guess that would mean i need 6 more years with no updates for me to catch up.If someone has not spent 15 usd for the expansions - well thats his problem.generally in these types of discussion (and yes you see this in every forum of any mmo pretty much) what people mean is not that there's nothing to do but nothing they enjoy doing left.

The issue with MMOs is that they tend to want to cater to different player groups as far as content is concerned but also with regards to difficulty or challenge. That has as issue that you have to split your development resources between different types of content and also balance difficulty of content constantly.

So for me this game has raids, strike missions, fractals and sPvP. I don't do them. At all. What I do is stories (once) and open world content and wvw (from time to time). So there's a lot of content that I don't do because the game caters to other types of players as well. And well some players find certain bits too hard and others find the exact same bits too easy.

And this all leads to different people getting bored, not because there's nothing to do, but because there's nothing left they enjoy doing. And well, if you don't buy the expansions you're gonna miss out on a lot as it is of course...

Despite the fact that I jump onto every chance to express my worry over where Anet is going, I am still having fun in the game. I am mostly playing Alt accounts now, as a sort of revival. Doing the storylines, LW episodes and unlocking the Masteries and such. This is still fun for me because I still enjoy the beautiful, detailed world, the DE's and yes, even the Hearts. :) Oh, and the Skyscale Quest off course, which is a lot of fun.

@Danikat.8537 said:Honestly I have the most fun in this game when I can forget about my goals and just go along with whatever's happening.

Yes, I've noticed that many times as well but so often I am goal-oriented which is not bad because it gets me what I want. But I did recently notice events that I've never seen before, hidden nooks and crannies of maps that I've been to many times, funny or immersive dialog between NPCs in random places, and the overall beauty of a rich world that was thoughtfully crafted.

I created a new toon recently (which I didn't need) and it was fun to zip around the world on my roller beetle simply to unlock different parts of the map. It was also fun to explore different aspects of the Engineer class which I sort of know but not in depth.

Whatever I feel like doing. I play it all, raids, fractals, open world, WvW, even a bit of PvP. Sometimes it's just standing in front of the BLTC playing the market or even a JP if I feel like just wasting my time. When I stop having fun I take a break and go play something else, the last break I took lasted 3 years, yet I am still here today having fun.