Help picking a Sword wielding bruiser profession

Kolzar.9567

Hello Gw2 players, I am having trouble picking a profession. I mostly want to pvp and I want to wield a sword in my mainhand to actually stab people with, that is I wanna stay melee or at most 600 range. I would ideally want to have a bruiser profession than a glass cannon (so prolonged fighting instead of either bursting people or getting bursted down, the meta builds of thief seem to be too glassy for me but I am willing to try non-meta ones). I have both expansions and I am currently thinking about revenant and elementalist but it seems like revenant is not that durable albeit the great burst and elementalist (weaver) is just overall in a bad state for pvp. Are there any other classes that I am missing? Does either Guard/mesmer/warrior have something that is melee-ish, that doesn't necessarily kill people, but doesn't die super fast that is reliable with a sword mainhand, (something like a SB but with sword/x using sword mainly for damage instead of greatsword/dagger)?

Mesmer is burst or blink away and burst later, guardi is necro baby sitter, war is bunker and counter burst. Other professions that use 1h sword are thief which is like mes ie burst or run, engi holo which is burst and bunker down to reburst, and ranger with sb which is burst with gs, swap to sword evade, then return to gs to burst again.EditForgot weaver, but I'm not sure if any1 plays then in pvp. I've met a few of them in wvw and they're just annoying to deal with to say the least. (Atleast the good ones are). They can heal back up to full almost instantly, while evading, if you don't 100-0 them, and they have a nasty combo that can kill you if caught off guard. Not sure if its possible to do that in pvp since certain stat combos and runes aren't there.

Warrior = excatly what you want if you want to skip all magic fluff with sword and use brutal strength.Guardian = Like warrior but with blue shiny fluff.Revenant = Like Guardian but with black shiny fluff and "assassinish" animations.Mesmer = Weird pink and butterflyish fluff.Engineer = Steamy fluffElementalist = fancy elemental fluffThief = slipperly fluff

• 2 weeks later...

For a sword using bruiser the best choices are Guardian (core, DH or even FB) and Ranger (mostly Soulbeast). The Guardian can be specced mostly in valkyrie+zerk stats and achieve high sustain, good cleansing and a variety of tools, and aside of the sword can use some nice weapon combinations. Sword is subpar for Warriors in roaming/pvp (can work, but is mostly hybrid damage and axe or dagger will perform better) and Revenant is not a bruiser: can evade, blind and disengage but is bad at tanking direct damage (plus extremely vulnerable to conditions). Trailblazer's Chronomancers and Mirages can also perform as a good sword wielding bruisers.

@Kolzar.9567 said:Hello Gw2 players, I am having trouble picking a profession. I mostly want to pvp and I want to wield a sword in my mainhand to actually stab people with, that is I wanna stay melee or at most 600 range. I would ideally want to have a bruiser profession than a glass cannon (so prolonged fighting instead of either bursting people or getting bursted down, the meta builds of thief seem to be too glassy for me but I am willing to try non-meta ones). I have both expansions and I am currently thinking about revenant and elementalist but it seems like revenant is not that durable albeit the great burst and elementalist (weaver) is just overall in a bad state for pvp. Are there any other classes that I am missing? Does either Guard/mesmer/warrior have something that is melee-ish, that doesn't necessarily kill people, but doesn't die super fast that is reliable with a sword mainhand, (something like a SB but with sword/x using sword mainly for damage instead of greatsword/dagger)?

Guardian uses sword in almost all dps builds. I have seen SB use sword but it is primarily a condi weapons (used for mobility here). weaver and engi can use sword as well and do well in PvP. Ranger does use sword, but no as dps weapon more for evasion and mobility. I think this summarizes all bruiser builds currently in PvP.

PS: In the post below, I am taking in consideration the ONE HANDED Sword. If you don't mind GreatSwords, than you more options. I will list then at end.Also, this post is 100% about SPvP.WvW usually grant more freedon tough most of the time follow close builds.

In are more technical aproach, as far as SPvP goes the Meta Classes that are Duelist/Bruisers and that are active at the moment, that use 1H Sword are "Condi Duelist" Mirage, SoulBeast "Boon Beast" and Power SpellBreaker (Tetherbreaker?) Sword/Shield;Following that, you can have a Holosmith using Sword/Shield instead of Rifle. Works Great, but not meta.Strugling a bit on SPvP at the moment, we have Sword Weavers that are actually good. But Ele is having trouble in PvP in a general way ATM so they get outshadowed by those builds listed above.

Now moving away from Bruisers and moving to your usual DPS/Roamer/Assassin role, we have a few classes that also use sword:

• Power Herald: DPS class with constant bursts and dual wield swords.
  • Core/DH Power Guardian: The build that people listed above me, usually carry a Sword on one hand and Greatsword/longbow as second set.
  • Core/DE/DD Sword / Dagger Thief: Roamer class. Pretty solid choices with tons of teleport's and dodges.

As optional, Support Fire Brands also pick Sword instead of Mace for extra mobility on some maps.

Now talking about GREATSWORD (GS):

• Pretty much any Power Mesmer build uses GS as main burst weapon.
  • Reapers can effectively use GS when not on Shroud.
  • Power Guardians (any build) and Power Warriors (any build as well) usually use GS as both damage and mobility choice.

Thank you so much for all the answers so far! I have used one of my boosts on a weaver but it does seem a little underwhelming. Can anyone point me toward the direction of one handed sword mesmer build that is a duelist, or is it just the metabattle build with sword instead of axe?

• 1 year later...

@Opopanax.1803 said:

@Hot Boy.7138 said:my mesmer is a sword bruiser. i love it

Would you mind sharing your talents and gear? Thanks!!

I commented that 2 years ago lol. It hurts my heart to say this, but my build died a long time ago. I don't even enjoy playing my mesmer anymore. I don't even know why I continue to log on. It's depressing. Play another class, friend. You'll have a better experience.