Marked debuff kills roaming

Babylonn.5027

@MUDse.7623 said:

@MUDse.7623 said:if i see an inc of 1-2 players i dont feel the need to call it on the map to trivialise the fight

like i said, i also dont see that bigger numbers of defenders which @sostronk.8167 mentioned.

i often see 10-15 people going after 2 people in north camp if they let themselves get marked on their way there.

tbf i dont think people will actually use the trap or trick much in the long run, maybe in the case of a
very
annoying individual from time to time but thats it. for me personally the direction this change goes altho i think i could easily play around it mostly made me change my ingame priorities and i will much less roam and the little bit i roam i might aswell do on a build my opponent can enjoy aswell. so yeah one less annoying deadeye on EU, guess that was a successfull change then ;)but stopping to play deadeye, i might give a little more information for the remaining ones (can also be used by other professions, especially holo):
  • did you know that exotic and rare energy sigils stack in effect? yes 1,5 dodges per weapon swap => 3x as much as in spvp.
  • transformations and bundle items count as weaponswap triggering all traits, sigils etc. related to it and some of them can be used in combat for example blueprints.

with the 2 above you can with just 1 rifle permastealth off only dodges while in combat, have fun.

You sir have been fighting Piken Square, Gandara or Kodash!!

I frequently see the same thing, you can really tell the people who roam from the people that just sit by the duel spot all day pretending to be roamers.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@displayname.8315 said:

@"sostronk.8167" said:
  • It's rare to have 4 maps queued, especially outside of reset.
  • "game ded"... is your opinion, which others don't agree with. It's also an ambiguous concept, which can be very toxic.
  • "Give up on that PPT play" You need to stop telling people how to play a video game they payed for. I come across this attitude among players quite frequently. It seems like narcissism to me. Another thing I come across quite frequently these days, not just in game.

Why do you think its rare to see maps queued if it's not because dead game? Sure they could make a new matchmaking system to get a single match up to par maybe but it's "dead" RN

If your actually good at PPT you should realize a server wins by coverage and stacking. You could not play all week and the result will be the same. Map hopping for PPT is not only an unfortunate side effect but it is not even possible in a well populated match.

Again using EB as an example there is no need for PPT "roamers" because people are actually playing together, pvping each other, maybe banging down a door for fun and fights. No need to map hop lets play together.

This attitude is a part of the reason there aren't map queues. Everyone's attitude is "Just stack EB". So you have a 10-80 man queue in EB and players not bothering to join because they only want to blob EB and claim they are all about the fights. I presume people are being ironic when they say this.

They tried to fix deadeye plague with this new Marked system, but they killed even those other professions with little stealth possibilities.

Stealth from daredevil was never a problem, it can be interrupted and if they play a perma stealth build too they are just trolls and can't oneshot people without any tell like deadeye does.

Instead of fixing the real problem which is deadeye they went for the easier and faster solution.

The gamemode is focused on zerg/blob big fights, but nobody can deny that roamers plays a vital role in wvw as well.90% of camps, sentries, runes and monuments, and even some tower is flipped by roamers and not by zergs/blobs.

But yeah roaming was already pretty much dead even before, sometimes you run an hour around the map flipping camps and you don't find a single enemy, the only one you find is a footman rank in green gear doing dailies, or groups of 2 to 10 players who immediately start chasing you like eager hungry chickens for half the map to get you killed.

@sostronk.8167 said:

• "game ded"... is your opinion, which others don't agree with. It's also an ambiguous concept, which can be very toxic.
  • "Give up on that PPT play" You need to stop telling people how to play a video game they payed for. I come across this attitude among players quite frequently. It seems like narcissism to me. Another thing I come across quite frequently these days, not just in game.

Why do you think its rare to see maps queued if it's not because dead game? Sure they could make a new matchmaking system to get a single match up to par maybe but it's "dead" RN

If your actually good at PPT you should realize a server wins by coverage and stacking. You could not play all week and the result will be the same. Map hopping for PPT is not only an unfortunate side effect but it is not even possible in a well populated match.

Again using EB as an example there is no need for PPT "roamers" because people are actually playing together, pvping each other, maybe banging down a door for fun and fights. No need to map hop lets play together.

This attitude is a part of the reason there aren't map queues. Everyone's attitude is "Just stack EB". So you have a 10-80 man queue in EB and players not bothering to join because they only want to blob EB and claim they are all about the fights. I presume people are being ironic when they say this.

You forgot the part where they fill all the other maps and only flip a camp every 10 mins while waiting afk at spawn for the queue.

Remember when all this was offloaded onto EotM? Happy days.

@apharma.3741 said:

You forgot the part where they fill all the other maps and only flip a camp every 10 mins while waiting afk at spawn for the queue.

Remember when all this was offloaded onto EotM? Happy days.

My.opinion on people gravitating to EB comes from the design. EB is more of a true 3-way map. People don't quite like the quasi 3 way of borderlands where the side keeps and South towers/camp s are the other teams "corner". When those maps are queued 3 ways it's actually very unfair for the home team.

EotM failed for its bad pvp design as well. Also they messed up the matchmaking, again, by linking the servers together by their colors. If you recall the instances were usually fully filled by green while red and blue sides were made up of the non bandwagon servers.

TLDR: Give up on the PPT "roaming".. PvP game mode or massive fights instead.

@sostronk.8167 said:

Roaming
until the new marked mechanic
was dominated by high mobility, stealth
classes (mesmer, ranger, thiefes). classes that are hard to catch and that are able to avoid every fight by not getting in "vision" of the opposites team.

as roamer you ever try to care for the smaller objects (camps, towers) on "your" map. since maps are really big for a single Person/small group it is absolutely necessary to
create Vision with sentries/watchtowers
on your map. vision = informations (about your opponents position and intentions). the
new marking traps add a 3rd Option for Vision
on the map by placing them on critical positions.

that mean you can get
MORE informations
About the opponents Position. so you can catch them in the objects you want to defend. that due to
MORE fights
. and this new counter against Stealth opens roaming for other classes that were simply in disadvantage against Stealth classes.

so you get
more class diversity there and more fights. seem very fine to me.

if you are as a roamer just on your map and your area, who is it you are going to fight then?

you dont understand. if i enter any area, i capture e.g. sentries and camps and create "my area" because i know1.) they see mee while i am doing it, so they maybe will come to fight2.) when they cap it back i see them so i can go to them to fight

Building up "your area" means taking it away from someone else ( so you are entering the opponents area). alone that already create opportunities to fight. but if i would just randomly walk around the map i would NEVER find any Opponent to fight. and also the 30 seconds delay unil the "under attack" event appeares in camps or anything else is too Long, so the objective is lost until you are there to defend it. and i see many enemies porting back to spawn directly after capping when they see me because they dont want to fight.

the more Options for creating Vision you have, the more fights you will get, because you see your Opponent earlier and than can catch them for example inside of the camps before they capt it.

this traps absolutely DOESNT kill roaming
. this traps only kill easy PPT.

i really enjoy the traps and possibilities they create for me.

I disagree. This makes it harder for smaller scale. Instead of having one or two players reacting to my movement whilst solo roaming, I am already seeing 5-10 players reacting to it. It promotes blobbing in small scale.

Now I don't have any experience in roaming (proper), but if you as a single player are occupying the attention of 5-10 players on the map, congrats, you have just delivered even more value as a roamer than you did before. Sure it might not feel that way with 5 people jumping on you or dropping siege on your corpse, but those 5-10 people aren't picking off people running back to tag, calling out zerg movement or pulling tactics.

It doesn't even kill stealth. You still get 2 seconds of stealth before it reveals you, so you can still get a bit of value from stealth in order to reposition + surprise your enemy. It's only a problem if you want to sit in stealth for longer than that.

It is pretty annoying when fighting near watchtower-upgraded towers though. I'd consider making that a different effect than marked so it still shows the dot, but doesn't reveal.

Sentries + traps should reveal though.

@coro.3176 said:It doesn't even kill stealth. You still get 2 seconds of stealth before it reveals you, so you can still get a bit of value from stealth in order to reposition + surprise your enemy. It's only a problem if you want to sit in stealth for longer than that.

It is pretty annoying when fighting near watchtower-upgraded towers though. I'd consider making that a different effect than marked so it still shows the dot, but doesn't reveal.

Sentries + traps should reveal though.

Nope three second intervals so its all screwed up.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Roaming
classes (mesmer, ranger, thiefes). classes that are hard to catch and that are able to avoid every fight by not getting in "vision" of the opposites team.

as roamer you ever try to care for the smaller objects (camps, towers) on "your" map. since maps are really big for a single Person/small group it is absolutely necessary to
on your map. vision = informations (about your opponents position and intentions). the

that mean you can get
MORE informations
About the opponents Position. so you can catch them in the objects you want to defend. that due to
MORE fights
. and this new counter against Stealth opens roaming for other classes that were simply in disadvantage against Stealth classes.

so you get

if you are as a roamer just on your map and your area, who is it you are going to fight then?

you dont understand. if i enter any area, i capture e.g. sentries and camps and create "my area" because i know1.) they see mee while i am doing it, so they maybe will come to fight2.) when they cap it back i see them so i can go to them to fight

Building up "your area" means taking it away from someone else ( so you are entering the opponents area). alone that already create opportunities to fight. but if i would just randomly walk around the map i would NEVER find any Opponent to fight. and also the 30 seconds delay unil the "under attack" event appeares in camps or anything else is too Long, so the objective is lost until you are there to defend it. and i see many enemies porting back to spawn directly after capping when they see me because they dont want to fight.

the more Options for creating Vision you have, the more fights you will get, because you see your Opponent earlier and than can catch them for example inside of the camps before they capt it.

I disagree. This makes it harder for smaller scale. Instead of having one or two players reacting to my movement whilst solo roaming, I am already seeing 5-10 players reacting to it. It promotes blobbing in small scale.

Now I don't have any experience in roaming (proper), but if you as a single player are occupying the attention of 5-10 players on the map, congrats, you have just delivered even more value as a roamer than you did before. Sure it might not feel that way with 5 people jumping on you or dropping siege on your corpse, but those 5-10 people aren't picking off people running back to tag, calling out zerg movement or pulling tactics.

this is sadly not the case. every time someone chases you across the map it's because they have nothing better to do. I've talked to them about it because I used to wonder why they bothered.

these types of players usually stand around in NC, passively gaining exp and participation by defending the camp with about 5-8 players. either they are semi afk, or they are waiting on queue. they either don't have anything to do, or they just don't wanna.

they are effectively "winning" over you in every sense of the word. you don't get to take their camp, you don't get participation, and you get to be frustrated trying to get away, and even more so when they jump on your corpse. meanwhile they found something fun to do, gained participation and prevented a tier 2 camp from getting capped.

this is one of the many reasons I hardly roam at all anymore and spend most of my time in pvp instead.

@bigo.9037 said:

Roaming

that mean you can get
MORE informations
MORE fights

so you get

this is sadly not the case. every time someone chases you across the map it's because they have nothing better to do. I've talked to them about it because I used to wonder why they bothered.

these types of players usually stand around in NC, passively gaining exp and participation by defending the camp with about 5-8 players. either they are semi afk, or they are waiting on queue. they either don't have anything to do, or they just don't wanna.

they are effectively "winning" over you in every sense of the word. you don't get to take their camp, you don't get participation, and you get to be frustrated trying to get away, and even more so when they jump on your corpse. meanwhile they found something fun to do, gained participation and prevented a tier 2 camp from getting capped.

this is one of the many reasons I hardly roam at all anymore and spend most of my time in pvp instead.

keeping that larger group of players occupied would only be worth it, if there was something in for you. like if every team had the same amount of people and by them chasing you, you would outnumber them elsewhere. add to that rewards on winning the match - then it would be good to be chased by a larger group. but considering the population inbalance in WvW and resulting lack of rewards for winning it is never good to be outnumbered aside from boosting your ego if you kill them maybe.

@bigo.9037 said:

Roaming

that mean you can get
MORE informations
MORE fights

so you get

this is one of the many reasons I hardly roam at all anymore and spend most of my time in pvp instead.The premise of WvW and
the
core aspect of entire GW2 is that when you cant do something solo... you bring friends. Roaming is an opportunity to surprise the enemy and many people like that true but its not the way to win a war.

If you wanted a game that always make it possible to go solo, you should have picked a singleplayer game, not GW2.

@MUDse.7623 said:

Roaming

that mean you can get
MORE informations
MORE fights

so you get

keeping that larger group of players occupied would only be worth it, if there was something in for you. like if every team had the same amount of people and by them chasing you, you would outnumber them elsewhere. add to that rewards on winning the match - then it would be good to be chased by a larger group. but considering the population inbalance in WvW and resulting lack of rewards for winning it is never good to be outnumbered aside from boosting your ego if you kill them maybe.

exactly. I used to love wvw. but over the years I've realized ( and this isn't necessarily even because of patches, changes etc. ) that it just isn't worth all the kitten. I'm a solo player mostly. I do outnumbered roaming and 1v1s. but 9/10 it just ends up with me dying anyway unless I'm fighting completely incompetent players but then it's not even fun in the first place.

dying 4-9 times vs decent players in 2v1 just to win one 2v1 isn't worth it. it's not good for my mood either. I can usually stay in a good mood for quite a while even when losing etc but over time roaming is just such a pain. there's so many things. players on winning servers can send 20 people to chase you across the map and troll you all day and they'd still win by 100 points. everything you do as roamer is useless. you can't cap anything unless you are on winning server and it isn't primetime. and players in wvw are much more toxic.

at least in pvp you are 20% of the team and you can win the game if you play exceptionally well. everything you do matters and being toxic isn't rewarded and it can't be abused.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Roaming

that mean you can get
MORE informations
MORE fights

so you get

this is one of the many reasons I hardly roam at all anymore and spend most of my time in pvp instead.The premise of WvW and
the
core aspect of entire GW2 is that when you cant do something solo... you bring friends. Roaming is an opportunity to surprise the enemy and many people like that true but its not the way to win a war.

If you wanted a game that always make it possible to go solo, you should have picked a singleplayer game, not GW2.

I agree with what you say, but you missed the point I was making.

it's not that solo players can't cap towers or be effective and make a large enough difference to win or lose the match. it's that as a solo player you are essentially completely useless most of the time.

even if someone like me who is better than about 95 or more than population, you can still hardly do anything at all. you don't need to make it possible for me to cap towers. but if 10 ( usually bad ) players chase me across the map or whatever, ideally I would at least have wasted their time as they could've spend their time elsewhere. but this isn't the case.

winning server players can usually do whatever they want and still win. both short term and long term. if roamer annoys 10 ppl and they chase him for 5 minutes, that's not a problem short term cus they have abundance of players anyway AND they will win matchup regardless.

so even the 1 thing skilled players could pull off solo like fighting and sometimes winning outnumbered still doesn't matter because well, the winners and losers are set in stone based on the matchup anyway.

I know the game isn't supposed to be solo, but there are a lot of players like that out there. wvw right now completely alienates all of them by making them 100% irrelevant.

but this would all be fixed if for example wvw was changed to a battleground pvp mode.

each team has 100 players, match lasts 3 hours. players can come and go and will be replaced by others so that the numbers are always even on all sides. this way everything you do that wastes other's time is useful.

but we all know this will never happen. most wvw players hate roamers and just want to have an easy time farming pips.

A lot of times people chase a guild tag rather than the person, uncheck it or check another one. If you have a stalker group, flip random targets and claim one every now and then to confuse them, then wp immediately. If you get marked, wait it out if no one is around or play with your mark and move towards the next objective or in the opposite direction of your next objective, then when it clears course correct or wp and go to another random target. When you're dealing with people that have nothing better to do, the fun is in confusing them while still keeping your participation up.

I like the mark system as it promotes more fights. A player can go into most camps without tripping marked. In EBG, Dane is the only camp that cannot be "snuck" into. Most towers have an attack location that doesn't trip marked until the wall is down. Aldons and Vel are the only ones that have no way to skip past a Scout. Langor and Bravo are tricky but doable.

@"Ganathar.4956" said:So is this thread implying that stealth is mandatory for roaming builds? If stealth is so essential for roaming then necro, ele, warrior, revenant and guardian need stealth access right now. It's a huge failure of balance when more than half of the professions cannot roam at all.

Heavies and most lights are utility or zerg focused. Mediums are built for scouting, roaming, etc. GW2 doesn't have a trinity system but they have gone out of their way to create a "job" system for classes. Most thieves call a roaming necro a bag.

@Caedmon.6798 said:

@Ezrael.6859 said:Play a profession that doesn't rely on cheesy stealth mechanics.

He's talking about roaming,never mentioning stealth once.Or you assume that every person that roams must be on a stealth spec ?In either way its irrelevant.Seen the same thing last night where people kept trying to come at our Nc at alpine,and every time they got marked from east/west entrance due to these traps,they were on Non stealth classes,and they got swarmed every time they tried.

This doesnt just hurt stealth classes as much as you want to make yourself believe it.Its hurts every roamer,but i reckon youl be too busy zerging to notice that.

Maybe the mechanic isn't the issue, but the groups on your server that look to blob down a group half their size because they don't want to fight a group that gives them a challenge? Sounds like the marked debuff isn't the issue, but groups that want easy fights to feel good about themselves being the issue.