Do raids need easy/normal/hard difficulty mode? [merged]

Lonami.2987

@STIHL.2489 said:

@runeblade.7514 said:I remember raiders saying that they don't want easy mode difficulty because Raids will take longer to release.

How is that new raid going so far?

Okay. And It's a literally fact that despite the new raid taking too long, adding easy mode would make it take even longer.

If it takes that, then I am all for it. I've been waiting years for raids that I can play. You guys merely waited for months for a new wing.

I call nonsense.

It's fine if you are in favor of an easy mode but don't bring this kitten argument here.

Lack of content has been an issue in the past in all areas of the game. It's always been very damaging. Adding debatable difficulties and thus prolonging the developement time for a niche game mode which is already on the brink of no content because YOU think it's worth it is plain idiotic.

It's a poor argument and if you were in any way interested in this game mode not one you would make.

There is easier and less demanding instanced content in the game. Play that instead of wishing harm to a game mode which is very obviously not for you.

has it ever dawned on you that it remains a niche game mode because it does not have an easy mode to attract a wider audience?

Hi STIHL, how nice of you to be back.

No it hasn't since I do not believe the barrier of entry to be that high to begin with, which is supported by new players and their occasional shared stories of how they entered raids.

I'm sure though that if I went by every unsuccessful story and the expectations and effort demonstrated in those (usually none) I might have a different view.

Which leads me to my next point, I'm not even sure I'd want raids to become mainstream. It would require a fundamental shift in this entire games design and focus, not something I'm sure would be necessary healthy.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@runeblade.7514 said:I remember raiders saying that they don't want easy mode difficulty because Raids will take longer to release.

Okay. And It's a literally fact that despite the new raid taking too long, adding easy mode would make it take even longer.

If it takes that, then I am all for it. I've been waiting years for raids that I can play. You guys merely waited for months for a new wing.

I call nonsense.

It's fine if you are in favor of an easy mode but don't bring this kitten argument here.

Lack of content has been an issue in the past in all areas of the game. It's always been very damaging. Adding debatable difficulties and thus prolonging the developement time for a niche game mode which is already on the brink of no content because YOU think it's worth it is plain idiotic.

It's a poor argument and if you were in any way interested in this game mode not one you would make.

There is easier and less demanding instanced content in the game. Play that instead of wishing harm to a game mode which is very obviously not for you.

has it ever dawned on you that it remains a niche game mode because it does not have an easy mode to attract a wider audience?

No it hasn't since I do not believe the barrier of entry to be that high to begin with, which is supported by new players and their occasional shared stories of how they entered raids.

I'm sure though that if I went by every unsuccessful story and the expectations and effort demonstrated in those (usually none) I might have a different view.

Which leads me to my next point, I'm not even sure I'd want raids to become mainstream. It would require a fundamental shift in this entire games design and focus, not something I'm sure would be necessary healthy.

I'd say it's nice to be back, but that would be a lie.. my internet went to crap, and now, since I can't really play anything, I am posting on the forums to kill time. Don't get too used to my presence. I'm just scratching an itch with this abomination of a topic.

Anyway.. yes.. a fundamental shift.. like how PoF was a Fundamental Shift from HoT. But lo, numbers are up, the game is doing better, and now it's just a matter of time before Anet realizes that trying to make Niche content for a small niche group of players, is not really profitable, and that the more inclusive they can make their content, the better the overall social and fiscal health of the game.

But then again, they may never revise raids, just like they never revised dungeons, they might just scrap them and put in something else to fill the void like they put in fractals to replace dungeons..

I mean, not being rude, and nothing personal at this point, because try as I might my apathy outweighs any real investment into feelings about this,, but they tried that catering to the Hardcore players, it just doesn't work.. and it's only going to get progressively harder for them to justify the budget for raids as time goes on when other content and demographics are what is making the money.

You really should have thought about it.. especially in lieu of the rebound after PoF, and realizing that the HoT Content direction, was a failure.

@STIHL.2489 said:

I call nonsense.

I'd say it's nice to be back, but that would be a lie.. my internet went to kitten, and now, since I can't really play anything, I am posting on the forums to kill time. Don't get too used to my presence. I'm just scratching an itch with this abomination of a topic.

Anyway.. yes.. a fundamental shift.. like how PoF was a Fundamental Shift from HoT. But lo, numbers are up, the game is doing better, and now it's just a matter of time before Anet realizes that trying to make Niche content for a small niche group of players, is not really profitable, and that the more inclusive they can make their content, the better the overall social and fiscal health of the game.

But then again, they may never revise raids, just like they never revised dungeons, they might just scrap them and put in something else to fill the void like they put in fractals to replace dungeons..

I mean, not being rude, and nothing personal at this point, because try as I might my apathy outweighs any real investment into feelings about this,, but they tried that catering to the Hardcore players, it just doesn't work.. and it's only going to get progressively harder for them to justify the budget for raids as time goes on when other content and demographics are what is making the money.

You really should have thought about it.. especially in lieu of the rebound after PoF, and realizing that the HoT Content direction, was a failure.

I hope your internet gets fixed soon!

@STIHL.2489 said:

I call nonsense.

I'd say it's nice to be back, but that would be a lie.. my internet went to kitten, and now, since I can't really play anything, I am posting on the forums to kill time. Don't get too used to my presence. I'm just scratching an itch with this abomination of a topic.

Are we ignoring the:

• introduction of mounts
  • way heavier and increasing monetization game wide
  • the spillover from competitors where the last expansions pretty much tanked?
  • the empty PoF maps and metas (compared to HoT)?
  • the huge gap in raid and fractal release times
  • the improvement in living world content delivery after the expansion (versus HoT long hiatus post expansion)

There is a ton of reasons as to why the game is in a better place. Many and/or almost all of them have hardly to do with raids.

@STIHL.2489 said:But then again, they may never revise raids, just like they never revised dungeons, they might just scrap them and put in something else to fill the void like they put in fractals to replace dungeons..

Sure, and if cost for this content outweighs its benefits I'm sure it will get cut. Right after spvp and wvw have been removed from the game and maybe even some Living World episodes given the completion rate and play time on many of those things.

None of these issues are a strong argument to add easy mode raids and even less to shift the game to a more raid centric design.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

I call nonsense.

There is a ton of reasons as to why the game is in a better place. Many and/or almost all of them have hardly to do with raids.

When I brought up that the fiscal reports were down after HoT, for a full year, until the Hype regarding PoF, came out, your niche group said something along the lines of The game is getting older this just happens trying to dismiss the downward trend, now, using that as a metric, and I'm really not being rude here, but, if I was looking for viable insight as to why this game was doing better or worse each quarter,, your niche group would not be on my list.

@STIHL.2489 said:But then again, they may never revise raids, just like they never revised dungeons, they might just scrap them and put in something else to fill the void like they put in fractals to replace dungeons..it's only going to get progressively harder for them to justify the budget for raids as time goes on when other content and demographics are what is making the money.

Sure, and if cost for this content outweighs its benefits I'm sure it will get cut. Right after spvp and wvw have been removed from the game and maybe even some Living World episodes given the completion rate and play time on many of those things.

You really think they would cut WvW which has gotten a grand total of 1 new map in 6 years, before they would cut raid production which requires entire new mechanics, mobs, loot systems, graphics, and testing and I might add, more testing.. Well.. again. no diss, but I think you are confused on what "Cost for Content" actually means.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:There is a ton of reasons as to why the game is in a better place. Many and/or almost all of them have hardly to do with raids.Isn't that the very point? If the game is indeed in a better place, it's not thanks to raids at all.

Sure, and how is this a reason to add or change raids?

I'm not arguing against the fact that they are niche content for few players developed by a very small team.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:There is a ton of reasons as to why the game is in a better place. Many and/or almost all of them have hardly to do with raids.Isn't that the very point? If the game is indeed in a better place, it's not thanks to raids at all.

It's more likely due to more aggressive monetization than anything else. Plus mount skins, those apparently are a real money earner.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Sure, and how is this a reason to add or change raids?It isn't. It may however be a reason for devs to drop their development unless they are changed somehow to make them more popular.

@"STIHL.2489" said:

and it's only going to get progressively harder for them to justify the budget for raids as time goes on when other content and demographics are what is making the money.

It's pretty funny to me how you talk about any aspect of the budget of this MMO like you (or any other player) has a even the slightest idea about how much raids cost to produce. The only thing we have had to go on has been the developers saying the Raid team is pretty small. Unfortunately, many players reject that assertion since they obviously know better than the employees who work at that company. I guess it's because it doesn't fit so neatly into this narrative of how raids are consuming the development time of everyone at ArenaNet.

There's many financial reasons to keep raids going. (I'd like to point out this isn't proof of anything; just things to consider) For example, if they had data about raiders and how much money they spend on average, a producer can use that to argue for the existence of their content. They can use statics like the amount of consumables, crafting materials (Legendary Armor) and gold sunk into raiding from the vendors or the activity generated on the Trading Post due to raids. Ever wonder why Big Ticket items like Ghostly Infusions or Dhuum's Throne can go up on the Trading Post? Sure, the raiders make money but it I bet it's because a transaction like that destroys quite a bit of gold from the economy due to the TP cost. (I wouldn't be surprised if people busted out their Credit Cards for them too) Finally, you can point to how "engaged" players are with raiding insofar that they continue to log on weekly and thus can be targeted by micro-transactions on the Gem Store more often than someone who logs on once every six months for an episode of Living World.

If you're really going to go on about what is truly economical, MMOs in general are a massive risk compared to the mobile market. You'd make way more money training 15 designers to product mobile games rather than having them craft any aspect of this MMO.

@Nokaru.7831 said:There's many financial reasons to keep raids going.

I can add one more important reason to keep raids going, that unlike almost any other type of content in the game, Raiders are gonna buy the next expansions if they contain Raids, because fundamentally the Heart of Thorns Raids are the same as Path of Fire Raids, and moving forward future Raids will also be like them. The original 3 wings do not have a CM version for their fights, so I guess Wing 4 introduced something new (CM) and they've been a success, given how all future Raid bosses have CM versions.

Meanwhile, open world maps aren't the same, there is a vast difference between Heart of Thorns open world maps and Path of Fire open world maps, some of their parts attract different kinds of players. For example, those that like big map wide meta events, compared to huge maps to explore on their mounts. I think Raiders are much easier to please than the open world crowd, which is more diverse and has vastly different desires, often conflicting ones.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

I call nonsense.

When I brought up that the fiscal reports were down after HoT, for a full year, until the Hype regarding PoF, came out, your niche group said something along the lines of
The game is getting older this just happens
trying to dismiss the downward trend, now, using that as a metric, and I'm really not being rude here, but, if I was looking for viable insight as to why this game was doing better or worse each quarter,, your niche group would not be on my list.

STIHL, you have been arguing the games demise ever since you joined the forums.

No I haven't .. and I would like it if you could refrain from lying about me.

@Nokaru.7831 said:If you're really going to go on about what is truly economical, MMOs in general are a massive risk compared to the mobile market. You'd make way more money training 15 designers to product mobile games rather than having them craft any aspect of this MMO.

Funny you say this.. I have since abandoned this game for a phone game.. how ironic.

Wonder how many others on here have also long since left the game, raiders included, as over half the people that used to send me hate mail about my stance against raids in game admitted they no longer play.

So.. yah.. keep dreaming that Raids are profitable.

I mean, I think one of the big money makers are the mount skins.

Speaking of the Dhuum throne, I was sitting in the PvP Lobby and saw the comparison of Dhuum’s throne to the new Awakened throne. Which is quite disappointing. One you get by raiding or getting by buying from the trading post. The other is bought with gems or RNG.

I already talked about a thing a game I used to play handled things to avoid development of new difficulty for raids and making it easier for everyone to go see the content and make their mind if they want to play it.They added Reviving Buff for first 5 clears, it cost some coins to use revives in instances and was limited to 3 per run, instances had 3 bosses there.Today buying my fractal portions it hit me. I feel kinda slow, lol.What if Arena.NET introduce such a self reviving portions that can be obtained for first 5 runs only? Sold by merchant lets say Maybe they can go as far as making Defencive/Mobility/Damage portions as well for first 5 runs?To avoid abuse of the Reviving it can be 1 Rev per boss, so people wont go facetank easy encounters ignoring rest and making sure they still have 'Rev Power' for the raid.

@"phs.6089" said:What if Arena.NET introduce such a self reviving portions that can be obtained for first 5 runs only? Sold by merchant lets say

How is that going to help anyone find a group for Raids?How is that going to help a Raid group that's missing players find players to join them?What counts as a "run"?

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"phs.6089" said:
What if Arena.NET introduce such a self reviving portions that can be obtained for first 5 runs only? Sold by merchant lets say

How is that going to help anyone find a group for Raids?How is that going to help a Raid group that's missing players find players to join them?What counts as a "run"?

It's going to help with people giving raids a try and learning mech.Run is full clear.

@phs.6089 said:It's going to help with people giving raids a try and learning mech.Run is full clear.

You haven't answered how a once per boss auto revive will help people find groups for Raids. You need a group anyway in order to try and learn the mechanics. Unless this potion will allow you to solo the Raid Wings, how exactly is having it going to help anyone learn mechanics?

Full clear of what? A specific wing only? Or all wings? So I can for example farm the first boss using these new potions forever, if I don't kill the last boss of a Wing?

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@phs.6089 said:It's going to help with people giving raids a try and learning mech.Run is full clear.

You haven't answered how a once per boss auto revive will help people find groups for Raids. You need a group anyway in order to try and learn the mechanics. Unless this potion will allow you to solo the Raid Wings, how exactly is having it going to help anyone learn mechanics?

Full clear of what? A specific wing only? Or all wings? So I can for example farm the first boss using these new potions forever, if I don't kill the last boss of a Wing?

Reviving will give you room for mistake while you learn. Game I was playing was seasonal, meaning every 4-6 mounts we will get 2-3 new dungeons to learn.Getting there with those reviving buffs was big help.No, you can't, you only get reviving for first 5 kills of a boss(1 rev per boss, you killed easy boss 5 times with rev or without even using then, that is it). After that game assumes you have learned enough to go do it without any help.

@"phs.6089" said:Reviving will give you room for mistake while you learn.

You still haven't answered how with these revives you will JOIN a group in the first place... In order to use these revives you must first join a group. How is this revive system going to help with joining groups? Do you think groups will see your buff and say "hey this guy has an extra revive, so let's take them for a ride" or that groups will see the buff and instantly kick the person that has it, as it's clear proof that they have no experience with the fight. And training groups work now without the buff so I'm not sure what's the aim here.

No, you can't, you only get reviving for first 5 kills of a boss(1 rev per boss, you killed easy boss 5 times with rev or without even using then, that is it). After that game assumes you have learned enough to go do it without any help.

So in other words if I fight Vale Guardian, kill it, then wipe at Gorseval and repeat 5 times (5 different days), I will be all out of revives when I finally beat Gorseval and then reach Sabetha.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"phs.6089" said:Reviving will give you room for mistake while you learn.

You still haven't answered how with these revives you will JOIN a group in the first place... In order to use these revives you must first join a group. How is this revive system going to help with joining groups? Do you think groups will see your buff and say "hey this guy has an extra revive, so let's take them for a ride" or that groups will see the buff and instantly kick the person that has it, as it's clear proof that they have no experience with the fight. And training groups work now without the buff so I'm not sure what's the aim here.

No, you can't, you only get reviving for first 5 kills of a boss(1 rev per boss, you killed easy boss 5 times with rev or without even using then, that is it). After that game assumes you have learned enough to go do it without any help.

So in other words if I fight Vale Guardian, kill it, then wipe at Gorseval and repeat 5 times (5 different days), I will be all out of revives when I finally beat Gorseval and then reach Sabetha.

That is obvious, join in LFG for training runs (with Rev) pots+food.No you have 1 rev per boss, per pull given you want to spend gold on it, you can use it if need or not, it will not transfer to the next boss.1 pull=1 rev, per boss, you wipe, you need to buy it again for second attempt. You can't use 2 on one pull. You can't transfer unused to next.Buy the time you are on Sabheta you will have 1 rev, per pull up until you get 5 kills. You give up after VG and try next week, you will have 4 kills on VG left.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"Nokaru.7831" said:If you're really going to go on about what is truly economical, MMOs in general are a massive risk compared to the mobile market. You'd make way more money training 15 designers to product mobile games rather than having them craft any aspect of this MMO.

Funny you say this.. I have since abandoned this game for a phone game.. how ironic.

Wonder how many others on here have also long since left the game, raiders included, as over half the people that used to send me hate mail about my stance against raids in game admitted they no longer play.

So.. yah.. keep dreaming that Raids are profitable.

Anet stopped having PvP tournaments with cash prizes real quick when it was clear PvP wasn't getting the traction to justify the investment.

If raids weren't meeting population expectations based on how much it costs to develop them they would have already dropped them by now. Heck developers have straight up said that the size of the raiding community surpassed their expectations.

Also having content that incentives grroups of people to organize into static groups so they can clear content reliably and with good company is good for player retention. That's how you make friends and build communities in MMORPGs.

Heck if you're talking profit, then literally nothing in game should be developed aside from gem store mount akins. Nothing in a free to play game is "profitable " on it's own.

Also lol at the idea that legions of people are sending you hate mail in game. If anyone actually thinks this is true I have a bridge to sell you.