About Balthazar's theme, Aurene interesting theme's journey and Aurene's vision sound effects — Guild Wars 2 Forums

About Balthazar's theme, Aurene interesting theme's journey and Aurene's vision sound effects

Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 27, 2018 in Nov/Dec: Audio
  1. Why didn't the main Composer compose the theme for Balthazar?
    Surely other composers would fight for the right to compose the main, complex and epic track of the expansion. And the Balthazar's theme is a very complex one, just like The Battle on the Breachmaker. And there are three different tracks, but none of them was composed by Maclaine Diemer- the main composer at Arenanet's. Instead they were composed by Brendon Williams and Wilbert Roget, II.
    Don't you like composing the epic battle music, Maclaine Diemer? Or do You want to give others a moment to shine?
    I gotta tell you, just in secret: Brendon Williams and Wilbert Roget, II blew my mind. Balthazar's theme is my favorite battle music so far, and I had the chills from the very beginning of the fight till the end. The longest chills I've ever had. :D
    How different would Balthazar's theme be if it was composed by Maclaine Diemer? I mean was it planned to be the theme composed by You only? Am I correct in thinking that you gave the co-composers some clippings and then they just completed them?

2. . I noticed a very interesting 'journey' of a certain music tracks in Season 4 that includes Aurene's theme and certain Kralkatorrik-related tracks like Assault on Amnoon (and because 3 episodes were more about Joko), I noticed that very oftenly Kralkatorrik is described by the drums of some kind. Of course the drums were used in various different tracks, and doesn't mean they were related to Kralkatorrik, but what I mean is that the drums in those tracks I'll soon name, those drums create some sort of disorder, some sort of 'something's not right' vibe.
    The first proof that it happened is the music in the trailer for A Star to Guide Us. It starts off with Aurene's theme- cute, sweet sounds that describes her sweetness. Then at some point the drums come in, and I feel kind of distressed.
    This drums describe Kralkatorrik's influence on Aurene, but also that Aurene tries so hard to stand against it, just like Canach or Caithe were trying to fight Mordremoth's voice in their minds.
    Aurene's no longer safe from Kralkatorrik, her mind, once full of the joy and a great time spent with the Commander, are slowly covered by this dreadful sound of drums, she is haunted by the Crystal Dragon.
    And the culmination point of the greatest confrontation between Aurene and Kralkatorrik YET was described in the track called: Aurene's Fate (during Aurene's vision). It starts off with the known Aurene's theme, but it's changed so dramatically, and it was because she stood against Kralkatorrik already, she fights, she fights and she fights, and the only thing that change is that the drums and the other instruments are getting stronger and stronger and stronger, the violins, the female choir and this dreaful sound of drums, and this silent leitmotif from Mordremoth's theme, that create even more distress, it all just covered Aurene entirety.
    The sound effects during this cinematic were just so mindblowing too! The roars of Kralkatorrik and this sound of broken glass that describes Aurene's death. The art, the music and the sound effects were just so perfect, the best aspects of this game (art, music, sound effects) created such a perfect cinematic, I can only give you all, that worked on this the longest standing ovation ever.

Thanks for your attention. ;)

The wound is the place where the Light enters you ~Stephane Lo Presti

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi again, Arden!

1. I don't actually enjoy writing combat music. I find it very time consuming and tedious, which is precisely the reason I asked Will Roget to help out with it for Path of Fire. He brought Brendon along with him, and I think the two of them did an absolutely marvelous job with the combat music for the expansion. For most of their combat pieces, I just gave them some light guidance on the direction and let them do their thing. For Balthazar's music, however, Brendon did use a motif that I wrote. He took it and stretched it far beyond what I had imagined. I think that's one of the things that makes collaboration so cool, allowing ideas to change in ways a single person couldn't imagine.

2. I must admit that there was no special intention with the drums in any of Season 4's music. There are definitely purposeful moments where Aurene's theme is used in various pieces, however. I like leaving those little bread crumbs for players to pick up on, and I love it when players get so deep into the music and find their own meaning in it. Whether it's planned or not doesn't matter, if you as a player find something that moves you or intrigues you in the music, I'm happy.

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2018

@Maclaine Diemer II.3475 said:
    Hi again, Arden!

1. I don't actually enjoy writing combat music. I find it very time consuming and tedious, which is precisely the reason I asked Will Roget to help out with it for Path of Fire. He brought Brendon along with him, and I think the two of them did an absolutely marvelous job with the combat music for the expansion. For most of their combat pieces, I just gave them some light guidance on the direction and let them do their thing. For Balthazar's music, however, Brendon did use a motif that I wrote. He took it and stretched it far beyond what I had imagined. I think that's one of the things that makes collaboration so cool, allowing ideas to change in ways a single person couldn't imagine.

2. I must admit that there was no special intention with the drums in any of Season 4's music. There are definitely purposeful moments where Aurene's theme is used in various pieces, however. I like leaving those little bread crumbs for players to pick up on, and I love it when players get so deep into the music and find their own meaning in it. Whether it's planned or not doesn't matter, if you as a player find something that moves you or intrigues you in the music, I'm happy.

I like the battle music in this game, but I'm all about the tracks that aren't just: make some noise. I am more connected to the ambient music, that sometimes makes me teary and takes my mind somewhere else.

When I hear a music piece that I feel I can play it on piano (I'm a pianist), I try to select the right notes from the ambient tracks, and then I improvise it, and how I would compose such a track, if I had some samples. For example Blish's Sorrow or Path of Fire's theme.

I love doing that, and maybe I'd somewhere in the future share with one of my improvisations. :)

I don't really believe that the music MUST be in order, like from A to Z, I believe that the music must be spontaneous if you want to send the right message that comes from your heart.

Do You plan the whole music track in your head, and then if it makes whole, you start to use the right instruments, that you already planned to use, or is it more like spontaneous composing- you have the motif in your head, and just go for it, wherever your strings or piano keys want you to go. Or is it mixed up?- that's the question about your usual composing process.

Thanks for your previous answers too!

The wound is the place where the Light enters you ~Stephane Lo Presti

• Do You plan the whole music track in your head, and then if it makes whole, you start to use the right instruments, that you already planned to use, or is it more like spontaneous composing- you have the motif in your head, and just go for it, wherever your strings or piano keys want you to go. Or is it mixed up?- that's the question about your usual composing process.

It happens a lot of different ways. Sometimes it will just start with me messing around on a piano between a couple chords. That was how Rebuilding Lion's Arch started. For others, the melody pops into my head first, like on Halloween in Tyria or The Gathering of The Pact. The initial idea is always the easiest part, honestly, but taking it and turning it into a full piece is where the sweat and hard work comes in. It can often be very challenging to take a 30 second idea to 2+ minutes.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.