Roller Beetle Racing is freaking awesome! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Roller Beetle Racing is freaking awesome!

Just wanted to post a deep thanks for adding Roller Beetle racing to the game! It's truly one of the best racing experiences I've gotten from a video game - in GW2, what?! The physics are there, the learning curve and gradual progression that you expect from spending time trying to master a track is there. And it's just plain fun. The only request that I have is to do away with the "play" button to start the races. A starting line (or circle) with a 3..2..1 countdown at the start of races would just seal the deal on this being one of the best things that Anet has ever released for the game.

Tagged:
<1

Comments

• It also needs a "reset" option on the time trial mode like the griffon adventures have. If I'm trying to get the gold chest and crash into a wall halfway around the course, currently I have to either pointlessly ride out the last minute of the course or F12 out to the character screen and waypoint back. Wouldn't eliminate the frustration but it would help.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I haven't had a chance to play it yet (the update hit sometime after I'd stopped playing last night) but I'm looking forward to it. I'd just started to get the hang of drifting during Halloween but I haven't had many opportunities to practice since, so these races seem like a great opportunity.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• Trevor Boyer.6524Trevor Boyer.6524 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yeah it is pretty fun once you get a handle on properly drifting. But now I want Mario Kart beetle courses where we can attack other players during the race.

The 10 Commandments Of Conquest
    Abide by the commandments or God shalt deliver unto thee a packet of salt as often as thou did break them
    -> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/38081/the-10-commandments-of-conquest#1

• Welcome everyone to the beetle racing community :D my guild is doing races like these since the release of the mount. We created 50+ tracks all around the world. I'm so happy Anet decided to release something like this. Hope more racing guilds will start to appear.

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2018

Agreed with everyone, we should have a section to suggest roller beetle tracks, the only limit is your creativity, and maybe obstacles on your path x)

Little suggestion: Add an option for visuals, "Hide everyone" I have enough of lagging and not seeing where I'm going just because everyone is enjoying the same thing at the same time! Can finish Jormag's fang, need 20 more seconds for silver, impossible to have more than bronze with lags.

+++Sandswept Isles: Advisory K-4: Don't be misled; with some effort, a charr CAN fit inside an asura-sized Inquest uniform.

• I liked all but Mount maelstrom. Maelstrom is like halloween track where there is really tiny turns and obstacles.

• notebene.3190notebene.3190 Member ✭✭✭✭

Just did a few time trials and an actual race (got interrupted irl so had a late start, but finished 3 laps with 1:20 to spare!) in Gendarran. It's really fun, and I like all the rewards and prices on things at the vendor.

Really nice surprise addition to the game!

In the event I don't get a chance, thank you all for the company and help when I needed it from time to time.

• dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭

It is a blast.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2018

I hope this isn't a one month and done thing. I want a lot of medallions for the guild hall race tracks, although I'm a tad disappointed. I was expecting long sweeping tracks across the entire map on them all, and not tight drifts on corners not really set up for them.

Still better than the Halloween disaster though and reasonably good fun

edited November 27, 2018

@Sirius.4510 said:
    It also needs a "reset" option on the time trial mode like the griffon adventures have. If I'm trying to get the gold chest and crash into a wall halfway around the course, currently I have to either pointlessly ride out the last minute of the course or F12 out to the character screen and waypoint back. Wouldn't eliminate the frustration but it would help.

There is a reset button.

Click on the x button on the "roller racing racing time trial" in the UI on the right hand side of your screen and close it. It'll pop up the reset window for you

• MokahTGS.7850MokahTGS.7850 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2018

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:
    Yeah it is pretty fun once you get a handle on properly drifting. But now I want Mario Kart beetle courses where we can attack other players during the race.

This is something that NEEDS to be added to the Super Adventure Box content. Some sort of coin battle arena like in mario cart would just be freaking awesome.

• Tails.9372Tails.9372 Member ✭✭✭✭

Pretty disappointed with this half-hearted implementation. They should have done it right or not at all. Puting the races in OW maps instead of making it a proper game mode with proper race tracks just emphasises the things many people didn't like about the halloween track. A-Net really is the king of wasted potential.

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭✭

Races are all fine except Brsiban one. Brisban race is hell!

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never be able to injure you!"
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

• @Shikaru.7618 said:
    There is one. Click the x in the top right where the timer is and it'll take you back.

Thanks - it's not very obvious but it'll do.

@Zaraki.5784 said:

I agree Brisban doesn't seem to have been a s well balanced for the medals, although I;d argue Snodwen is the worst. A whole map and they chose to ignore 90% of it for some silly, tight turns which don't work on a roller race.

Gendarren and Diessa were outstanding and I enjoyed most of Maelstrom too (except some turns after the lava pool seem to have snagging issues unsuited to a racetrack)

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

I agree Brisban doesn't seem to have been a s well balanced for the medals, although I;d argue Snodwen is the worst. A whole map and they chose to ignore 90% of it for some silly, tight turns which don't work on a roller race.

Gendarren and Diessa were outstanding and I enjoyed most of Maelstrom too (except some turns after the lava pool seem to have snagging issues unsuited to a racetrack)

I agree with Randulf on this, Brisbans not to bad, Snowden is..terribly small and the turns are so tight that if your drift action doesnt engage properly you are done unlike the rest of them where you can make one or two mistakes and still get gold. Overall though, well done!

Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

• cNd.1096cNd.1096 Member ✭✭✭

It was nightmare in Brisband and these low checkpoints, I was flying above them all the time, but besides that the race is pretty cool. Drifting through narrow caves in Mount of Maelstroom was enjoyable for me too.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light

• miraude.2107miraude.2107 Member ✭✭✭

@Tails.9372 said:
    Pretty disappointed with this half-hearted implementation. They should have done it right or not at all. Puting the races in OW maps instead of making it a proper game mode with proper race tracks just emphasises the things many people didn't like about the halloween track. A-Net really is the king of wasted potential.

From a business perspective, this was added to see if it generated enough interest to actually do a full implementation into the core game or relegate to an event for a festival. Because of how black and white people were with the Halloween track (hate it/love it), this is their second attempt on seeing what people wanted in terms of a track (which track gets played the most, which one gets the most complaints, etc). So instead of being a Negative Nancy, be glad they are giving it another poke and not doing a Blizzard 'fun was detected, fun nerfed' approach and we never see this attempted again outside of the festivals.

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2018

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

Brisban is worse that Snowden imho, having a strict timer on a 32 sec race is a thing, having a strict timer on a 2 min 35 sec race is another -.-
    The longer the race, the more forgiving the timer should be imho, which is not true enough in Brisban's case, but I'll have to deal with it and hope to get it in the next days, it's the last one I miss.

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never be able to injure you!"
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

• Like the races a lot but I have three suggestions for adventure mode: instead of the long countdown clock, could we have a large clock at the top of the screen counting up? And it would be even better if you could also provide two or three "checkpoints" during each lap so that it is easier to improve (as you can see where you lose ore gain time on each lap). Finally, after finishing the lap at the moment you get no feedback as to how fast you were unless you did beat your previous fastest time. Could we get that feedback for each lap as well? (I hope all of this isn't an oversight on my part and that stuff has already been provided but I didn't notice).

• Yeah, Brisbane is too unforgiving for it's lenght. Snowden is doable since it's a very short course(maybe 2 secs more so everyone has a chance to get it). The other ones are pretty easy, you even don't have to drift to get gold.
    The only thing I get annoyed of is the "replayability" by introducing a vendor which requires tons of medals for rewards... maybe there was a better way to make players play this event without making it a chore...

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Zaraki.5784 said:

Brisban is worse that Snowden imho, having a strict timer on a 32 sec race is a thing, having a strict timer on a 2 min 35 sec race is another -.-
    The longer the race, the more forgiving the timer should be imho, which is not true enough in Brisban's case, but I'll have to deal with it and hope to get it in the next days, it's the last one I miss.

I agree the timer is more of an issue on brisban than snowden

edited December 1, 2018

The real issue for me is lags, I can beat whatever record or timer you want if I'm alone doing the race, I think about all the poor players like me, which are at 4 fps during the race, don't seeing what they do, breaking out the turn which make you fail the trial just because 30 other players are trying to finish it in same time. Plz, for any race challenge, make the trial INSTANCED, for the race I don't care, the more we are the funnier it is, but for achievs it's hell. I clearly have no idea if the FPS fall is due to the number of players or another thing, but it only happens near adventure flags.
    BTW, for adventures flags concerning race, I've enough of pressing F to participate and seeing my toon speaking to the NPC, thing that dismount me. When mounted on beetle AND on the flag, the race should start instantly without showing times for rewards. I lose an important time to close the windows, mount on my beetle, return on flag, oopsie interacted with npc, so have to remount.....

To end on a positive note, I love the tracks especially mount maelstrom.

+++Sandswept Isles: Advisory K-4: Don't be misled; with some effort, a charr CAN fit inside an asura-sized Inquest uniform.

• Most races are great. The Brisban Wildlands track is a buggy, frustrating mess though.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

Is is just me or did thye fix the steering functionality? Stopping has also become a bit easier, no? Thanks for polishing this up, ANet! <3

However, I would like to say that the Mount Maelstrom racing track is awful. Whoever thought a slower pace and tight spaces were an excellent thing for beetle racing: just no.

My GW2 content charts: (1) LWS 4, (2) PoF , (3) Personal story (pre-Claw Island/Orr) , (4) LWS 2 , (5) HoT, (6) Orr campaign , (7) LWS 3

• Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

Brisban also has a few bugs too regarding the boost disappearing randomly on the track too, not just visually, also physically as well and randomly. Had the last boost near the flesh reaver disappear on me ruining a great run. Also happened to me halfway through the track too. I threw in a bug report.

• Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭

It's pretty brilliant. It's very nice that they provided a range of difficulties, but I would have liked to see some of the top end challenges be a little more difficult as well . . .

• Yeah, they're pretty good. Although I seriously question the Kessex Hills race, it's like they ran out of time on that one.

• @TwiceDead.1963 said:
    Yeah, they're pretty good. Although I seriously question the Kessex Hills race, it's like they ran out of time on that one.

I understood from the announcement, that the kessex hills track is just a practice track. It gives mount rental and requires doing one drift. I think it is good enough for that.

• @Willhart.8230 said:

@TwiceDead.1963 said:
    Yeah, they're pretty good. Although I seriously question the Kessex Hills race, it's like they ran out of time on that one.

I understood from the announcement, that the kessex hills track is just a practice track. It gives mount rental and requires doing one drift. I think it is good enough for that.

Oh. In that case, nevermind.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

So I've done the Snowden Drift one until I got gold, then tried Brisban for a bit before I realized it's 9 in the morning and my life is in shambles.

This is the type of content I live for. Well done, it's fun and it's nice to see all these people come together, raging in chat about the .5 seconds they were too slow! Haha

Logging out forever.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Shikaru.7618 said:

@Sirius.4510 said:
    It also needs a "reset" option on the time trial mode like the griffon adventures have. If I'm trying to get the gold chest and crash into a wall halfway around the course, currently I have to either pointlessly ride out the last minute of the course or F12 out to the character screen and waypoint back. Wouldn't eliminate the frustration but it would help.

There is one. Click the x in the top right where the timer is and it'll take you back.

Took me a bit to figure that out, so it's at least an option.
    But not the most elegant one. Adding an actual Reset command like HoT adventures have would be ideal.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• So glad you're having fun! :)

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• Indeed, the racing is incredibly fun! The tracks, each different and challenging in their own way. And the use of older landscapes for new systems and activites does make them more interesting and fresh. A good excuse to revisit and populate. Time just flew by as I tried to reach gold in each one (and eventually succeded in), or trying to improve upon a previous track record. Speaks for a good implementation, I dare say.

I do hope that the timers will remain as they are (and avoid sharing the same fate of the halloween track), since they're not impossible, just difficult; an obstacle to overcome.

Yeah it's a good addition, I'm also happy to see the return of the Holo-News krewe! Always on the breach as I see...
    I'm looking forward for future inter-maps events like that one.

• Omnicron.2467Omnicron.2467 Member ✭✭✭

Having a lot of fun, agree that Brisban is the hardest one, also becasue it seems to be the longest one with a few tight turns and many long stretches where you can easily hit a stump or some other debis, but I think it is something I can overcome eventually.

Gendarren fields was great, very easy learning curve, and enjoy Mt Maelstrom as well. Snowden drifts seems like a challenge, but it is short so it is a very different feel to the others which I can applaud.

Overall, very well done in terms of mapping the tracks, MUCH better than the Mad Drifter track ;)

• I tried out the track in the Gendarran Fields and had a lot of fun! I think this is a great idea! Thank you for making the rental affordable too.

I will try the other tracks another day though because this tired me a lot... because... the LAG. The lag was AWFUL.

Generally speaking, my computer has been having more lag problems ever since the mounts came out. The maps take time to load, the players are often all gray, the floor doesn't load, the enemies are invisible, and I can't preview equipment. After some time, the maps load and it's more or less okay. It usually happens mostly on the HoT and PoF maps, only sometimes in central Tyria.

Here... the Gendarran Fields, which is a map I usually have little to no problems with it, turned out awful. ALL THE BEETLES WERE PERFECTLY LOADED, even the ones with fancy effects, but all the players were gray, the enemies invisible, the map loading up around me as I moved (which meant I couldn't recognize my surrounderings until the buildings popped out of thin air). I did the track many times, and ended up frustratingly getting stuck against an invisible centaur catapult, missing turns because I couldn't see in front of me or didn't recognize where I was, throwing myself in the water because the bridge was invisible, and missing turns because suddenly the game would freeze trying to load stuff.

I had a lot of fun, because beetle races are amazing and I loved the one in the mad king's realm during Halloween, but here I feel a mix of wanting to throw my computer through the window and laughing because it's so cool to speed over hills and rivers (and I'm excited about the racing goggles and helmets, and the scarfs! New skins are always welcome and I love it when those are rewards you can gain or buy).

I don't know what could be done to improve this... you can't just expect the players to spend tons of money on superperforming computers! Mine is barely over 3 years old (though I suspect Windows 10 is making it worse) and I'd rather spend my money on the game itself. I wish there would be options to prioritize the loading of the background and enemies rather than the other players and their mounts, or maybe an option to deactivate all the fancy things? Or maybe this would be more suited in a special instance? While the race itself is super fun, playing meta and events in the maps while being rolled over by tons of racing players kinda ruins the game immersion...

• Will.9785Will.9785 Member ✭✭✭

I'm glad you like it. I personally hate it. I feel like the beetle is the worst implemented mount in the game by a wide margin and its completely unfun to use. Being forced to grind lap after lap with glitchy mechanics and a choppy framerate to unlock something I've wanted since the game has been released is not fun to me in the slightest.

• With the rental beetle, when you get dismounted (either from being in the water too long or by taking too much damage), is there a way to remount? When this happens to me I end up having to go back to the vendor and saying "hey! I still have time on my mount" and get remounted that way but that can take you totally out of the race.

<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.