Lack of album releases since the start of the game — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Lack of album releases since the start of the game

Hiya team,

I'm fortunate enough to have all of the original Guild Wars and the main Guild Wars 2 soundtracks on CD album and I absolutely adore them. They're forever being played on my soundsystem (yes, I still own a 3-CD changer Hi-Fi unit :smiley: ) but, sadly, there have not been any albums released since 2012. I know that the majority of the music is released on Soundcloud but I love having an album to own and play.

Any thoughts on releasing any albums in the future? I think it might be a great idea to release albums for Heart of Thorns, Path of Fire and the Guild Wars Holidays!

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for your time!

My Wiki Profile
Honorary Seraph Captain
Guardian Expert

Tagged:

Comments

• Thanks for the question, Donutdude. It's great to hear you've been enjoying the soundtracks. And more power to you for standing by your trusty sound system! We're big fans of archaic audio technology and techniques here. I'm afraid I don't have any news for you about any future soundtrack releases. There are no plans right now to release any soundtracks, but that does not mean it won't ever happen again.

Out of curiosity, what would your preferred format be for a soundtrack release? CD? Vinyl? High quality .wav or flac files? Let us know and we'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.

Jason Wolford
    Lead Sound Designer

• Whilst you obviously have a lot of the living world tracks on Soundcloud, I'd love to see them on Spotify

• @Jason Wolford II.4761 said:
    Thanks for the question, Donutdude. It's great to hear you've been enjoying the soundtracks. And more power to you for standing by your trusty sound system! We're big fans of archaic audio technology and techniques here. I'm afraid I don't have any news for you about any future soundtrack releases. There are no plans right now to release any soundtracks, but that does not mean it won't ever happen again.

Out of curiosity, what would your preferred format be for a soundtrack release? CD? Vinyl? High quality .wav or flac files? Let us know and we'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.

Hiya Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to come back to me and for being candid about the expectations.

Oho I am spoiled for choice now! CD would be preferable because I can put three CDs into my system and swap as I see fit! That being said, I love the idea of vinyl! Would give me a great excuse to whip out the ol' turntable, plus the case would make a fabulous collector's piece!

Finally, it is nice to see you all still appreciate the classic technologies and techniques! Sometimes the older ways are the best!

Great to hear from you!

My Wiki Profile
    Honorary Seraph Captain
    Guardian Expert

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

Count me in for wanting CD's. I was so happy when CD's replaced vinyl back in the day, I just don't see the attraction of dealing with huge scratch-sensitive things that require dexterity to set the needle down lest you ruin the record forever .... I'm not an audiophile, so long as the sound is reasonably balanced away from throbbing bass or tinny bleating I'm content. So whatever "purity of sound" you get with vinyl is wasted on me. CD's are so much easier. I'm still sad the HoT soundtrack only came on vinyl with a digital download copy. I'd have bought it if it were on CD.

CD's are also much less complex than dealing with individual sound files to shuffle around to various players. And I have a 6 CD changer in my car so until I get a new car that is how I hear non-radio music when driving. Please please please offer GW2 music compilations on CD. I will <3 you forever (even more than I do already).

• edited November 28, 2018

That being said, I love the idea of vinyl! Would give me a great excuse to whip out the ol' turntable, plus the case would make a fabulous collector's piece!

Both of the expansion soundtracks are currently available on vinyl from our friends at iam8bit.

https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/guildwars2

They also come with a download code for the digital files. The vinyl discs are actually missing a couple of tracks from the final soundtrack due to space limitations, so you get a few bonus tracks if you purchase it that way.

• @Maclaine Diemer.8271 said:
    Both of the expansion soundtracks are currently available on vinyl from our friends at iam8bit.

https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/guildwars2

They also come with a download code for the digital files. The vinyl discs are actually missing a couple of tracks from the final soundtrack due to space limitations, so you get a few bonus tracks if you purchase it that way.

Oh my goodness! I had absolutely no idea that these existed! Christmas wish list items! I may even treat myself to one of them!

Thank you for sharing Maclaine!

My Wiki Profile
    Honorary Seraph Captain
    Guardian Expert

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.