Engine Limitations and Design Changes — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Engine Limitations and Design Changes

Alimar.8760Alimar.8760 Member ✭✭✭
edited November 27, 2018 in Nov/Dec: Audio

We all know the engine limits what you can design and implement properly. Would there be any changes to the engine you would make if you had the opportunity?

What projects did you work on or wanted to work on that had to be drastically changed or stopped after problems integrating the idea with the Engine and the U.I.?

Tagged:

Comments

• The grass is always greener when it comes to game engines. The tools we use for GW2 put a lot of technical control in the sound designers' hands. But a lot has changed since our engine was built. Of course there are elements from other engines or middleware that might make life a little easier (I think this is true of any department in any studio reflecting on their toolset), but the team has learned how to leverage the unique strengths of the engine in order to overcome many of its downsides. One of the most significant advantages is the fact that we are incredibly autonomous when it comes to implementation and scripting, meaning we very rarely require engineering support. I'll see if I can get one of the other team members to chime in with specifics.

Jason Wolford
    Lead Sound Designer

• There are three things that I wish we could change:

1. Occlusion. In theory, we shouldn't hear things going on inside of buildings when standing outside of said building, but in practice the occlusion system doesn't work all of the time. I spent a lot of time when I first started my internship adjusting the falloffs of a certain loud wyvern/crazy conveyor belt system while standing on top of a building out of the hope of no longer hearing it!
    2. It would also be nice if we had a way of making zones in which you can't hear anything that's going outside of said zone, prop or creature or otherwise- would have been a neat thing to use for the bubbles in episode 4!
    3. The music system- we can start and stop music, but we don't have the ability to do anything more interesting, like interactive layering and such.
  • Alimar.8760Alimar.8760 Member ✭✭✭

Both of these are fascinating! Thanks for your input.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.