Musical Instrument Issues Since Nov. 26 Patch [Merged]

For some reason the instruments aren't able to play at the same speed they were before and this has broken almost every music macro.As someone who's spent a lot of time writing these songs this is rather depressing.Best I can describe it the button presses seem to get delayed or ignored, throwing off the rhythm and octave it's supposed to be playing.

• Thanks 1

After messing around with it for a bit, the problem seems to come from the speed octaves can change.If you try to go from the lowest octave to the highest or vice versa , two quick presses of '9' or '0' by default, only one of the inputs gets read.For some reason the minimum time needed between inputs of the same key has been increased.Nothing in the patch notes says anything about a change of this kind, which leads me to believe it was never intentional. At least that's what I'm hoping.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:I will let the Audio Team know about this bug.

Thanks for the report!

Hello, Gaile, this is Valdrimari, former member of gw2mb.

Can you also tell your Audio Team (the best in the business, as you said in another thread) to work on giving each instrument note their own cooldown, notably on Bass, Harp, and Minstrel vs. every instrument note on those instruments sharing a global cooldown? In other words, E major on octave 1 should not cause E major on octave 2 and 3 to also go on cooldown at the same time. It that way for all notes.

There is also a work-around players can currently use that involves using several Mesmers and 'Alacrity' to allow players who are playing instruments to suffer less from note cooldowns, yet that is a pain in the neck to have arranged.

With that said in mind, that is a bug that should not be fixed, but since that no-game-advantage exploit exists for the instruments, I do not understand why your Audio Team will not ease up on instrument note cooldowns so we can play more types of music. Even certain slow songs, yet with large-ish chords, go on cooldown as a result of the global cooldown issue shared between all notes across all octaves. That should not be happening.

P.S. For all you music lovers out there in the GW2 community, I want to let you know that a new music site has been in the making (projected to release before 2019) after a huge quarrel between me and the founder of gw2mb who displayed abuse of power and negligence by not taking administrative action against problematic users I reported, who then took it upon himself to remove all my work from the site. Luckily, I have all my music backed up to publish on the new music site.

I would appreciate it if this message gets forward to your Audio Team. Thank you, Gaile : )Valdrimari

Same with me, since the 26 nov patch, cannot play songs with script as the client misses some of the input from my script. Mostly when it tries to increase/decrease octaves.The musician guild must be pretty happy about it thought... Received ''warning'' mail from the Tyrian Musician Guild because i was playing in front of ''real'' musician and stealing their public ...

Thanks for the report!

Thanks for passing this on!Even if for some reason this problem can't be fixed. It would be nice to know what exactly changed to see if the problem could be resolved on the scripting end of this.

@Karlendor.9471 said:Same with me, since the 26 nov patch, cannot play songs with script as the client misses some of the input from my script. Mostly when it tries to increase/decrease octaves.The musician guild must be pretty happy about it thought... Received ''warning'' mail from the Tyrian Musician Guild because i was playing in front of ''real'' musician and stealing their public ...

There's always gonna be that one person... But I don't usually have problems with that. Just be upfront about the music being a macro, and try not to play over other people's music. Taking turns or picking something you can both play can be way more fun than just playing music on your own.

I have a lot of respect for the people who can play it manually, I sure can't :PBut I do like writing scripts, and people seem to enjoy them. I'm sure there's plenty of manual players that wouldn't know where to start writing a script.So I see them as two separate ways to get to the same end goal. Doing something you enjoy, and letting others enjoy it with you.

@Eidolonemesis.5640 said:

Thanks for the report!

Hello, Gaile, this is Valdrimari, former member of gw2mb.

Can you also tell your Audio Team (the best in the business, as you said in another thread) to work on giving each instrument note their own cooldown, notably on Bass, Harp, and Minstrel
vs.
every instrument note on those instruments sharing a global cooldown? In other words, E major on octave 1 should not cause E major on octave 2 and 3 to also go on cooldown at the same time. It that way for all notes.

There is also a work-around players can currently use that involves using several Mesmers and 'Alacrity' to allow players who are playing instruments to suffer less from note cooldowns, yet that is a pain in the neck to have arranged.

With that said in mind, that is a bug that should not be fixed, but since that no-game-advantage exploit exists for the instruments, I do not understand why your Audio Team will not ease up on instrument note cooldowns so we can play more types of music. Even certain slow songs, yet with large-ish chords, go on cooldown as a result of the global cooldown issue shared between all notes across all octaves. That should not be happening.

P.S.
For all you music lovers out there in the GW2 community, I want to let you know that a new music site has been in the making (projected to release before 2019) after a huge quarrel between me and the founder of gw2mb who displayed abuse of power and negligence by not taking administrative action against problematic users I reported, who then took it upon himself to remove all my work from the site. Luckily, I have all my music backed up to publish on the new music site.

I would appreciate it if this message gets forward to your Audio Team. Thank you, Gaile : )Valdrimari

Oh man, are you anonymous1 in the music box webpage? I was wondering why all the wonderful music you made was gone about 2 or 3 weeks ago.Glad to hear you guys have a project for more music and that you have backup of all of those music.

@Hitman.5829 said:Oh man, are you anonymous1 in the music box webpage? I was wondering why all the wonderful music you made was gone about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

No I think his/her name was still 'Valdrimari'

Just yeah, gw2mb went down the cahoots as of late since most of the scripts are not as melodious as before... >_>I haven't picked a single new script since like... probably 1-2 months... and I check daily...

Composing music for and performing music on the in-game instruments is one of the most social pastimes away from PvE and PvP gameplay for many of us in the musician community (and for those we entertain), and so far, it has taken over a week for your Sound Design Team to fix the instruments (since the Nov. 26th Game Update Notes), yet 5 other hotfixes were implemented almost right away after the Nov. 26th Patch released. And the issue is still an issue after the 27th Patch released.

There have been at least 5 other times (maybe even more) the instruments have been broken as a result of a new update, and the big question is of all things to break, why the instruments? What is it your Sound Design Team is working on and/or messing with that keep breaking the instruments? This recurring breaking of the instruments is beyond frustrating.

Some of you reading this thread may not care about something like this regarding the instruments that may be a trivial matter to you, yet for those of us in the musician community like myself who log in almost daily to perform newly-composed music to entertain others (notably because we got bored with other things), it is a very big deal.

P.S. While I am on the subject of the in-game instruments, can your Sound Design Team please give each instrument note across all octaves their own cooldown (notably on the most popular instruments being Harp, Bass, and Minstrel) vs. having each and every note share a global cooldown across all octaves? I have raised this suggestion more than several times over the years, and nothing has been done about to fix this issue.

In other words, if E Major goes on cooldown on the first octave (Blue), then E Major goes on cooldown on the second octave (Green) and the third octave (Red) at the same time. That should not be happening. Each note should have their own cooldown (notably on the most popular instruments being Harp, Bass, and Minstrel), which would greatly mitigate playability issues on the instruments, thereby increasing the amount of songs we can play in-game.

Currently, the only way for us in the musician community to work around the instrument cooldown issue is to have arranged 4 Mesmers and to have them use the skill 'Alacrity' that makes it so music notes do not suffer cooldown issues, yet that is very inconvenient and tough to have arranged when needed.

Please implement a hotfix for the instruments sooner. We will appreciate it greatly. Thank you.Valdrimari (former gw2mb member, because a new and better music site is in the making, projected to release before 2019)

I'm not sure why ANet would ever "hotfix" instruments unless they were causing people to disconnect. As fun as they might be, they aren't a blocking problem for people doing dailies, instanced content, stories, open world. Instrument bugs only affect that small subset of people who play them regularly.

Of course ANet should fix them, especially any that might have cost gems (or the two associated with legendary weapons). But hotfix? I'm not sure there's a convincing argument to be made that the game requires them to be treated at top priority.

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey folks,

I moved comments from the GW2 Discussion subforum to this Bugs subforum, and merged the threads. I have reached out to our QA and Audio Teams on this topic, after checking the Known Issue Tracker. However, as others have pointed out, there are key parameters for a hot fix to which an instrument issue would not conform. The teams are aware of your concerns, though, and thanks for sharing the details.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:Hey folks,

I moved comments from the GW2 Discussion subforum to this Bugs subforum, and merged the threads. I have reached out to our QA and Audio Teams on this topic, after checking the Known Issue Tracker. However, as others have pointed out, there are key parameters for a hot fix to which an instrument issue would not conform. The teams are aware of your concerns, though, and thanks for sharing the details.

Thanks for the update,I really appreciate that this is being taken seriously considering the problem doesn't directly affect most players.But by the nature of playing these instruments it really affects the atmosphere of the game. Not having them has made things rather dull at times.

Kinda figured this wasn't top priority, but I do hope this is fixed for the holidays.Just wouldn't be the same without the cheerful music :wink:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I'm not sure why ANet would ever "hotfix" instruments unless they were causing people to disconnect. As fun as they might be, they aren't a blocking problem for people doing dailies, instanced content, stories, open world. Instrument bugs only affect that small subset of people who play them regularly.

Of course ANet should fix them, especially any that might have cost gems (or the two associated with legendary weapons). But hotfix? I'm not sure there's a convincing argument to be made that the game requires them to be treated at top priority.

Only 2 instruments, the Choir Bell and the Magnanimous Choir Bell, cost no Gold, and they are not the most popular instruments by a long shot. Every other instrument costs Gems, except The Minstrel (Harp) and Verdarach (Warhorn), which most players who own those Legendaries end up using a credit card, anyway, to prevent having to farm the Gold and/or the Materials for them from scratch, just so they can play them.

Given the current Gold to Gems ratio at its cheapest rate, 1:5, keeping in mind the ratio is off by roughly -10% at higher values, here is an idea of what me and at least 100 of my Guildies between 2 Musician Guilds have spent on owning every Gem Store instrument (mind you, likelynot at the current 1:5 Gold to Gems ratio at the time, not for me, anyway):

6 instruments from the Gem Store x 800 Gems = 4,800 Gems / 5 = 960 Gold = $60 for 4,800 Gems (per member who owns every Gem Store instrument) x 100 Guildies who own every instrument (as a rough number, just between my 2 Musician Guilds alone) = 480,000 Gems / 5 = 96,000 Gold / 960 Gold = 100 Guildies who own every instrument x $60 = $6,000. And since the Gold to Gems ratio is not exact, you subtract -10% from $6,000 and you get $5,400

Now, each of my Musician Guilds consist of 400+ Members, and each and every Guildie who does not own every Gem Store instrument is required to have/own at least 1 main instrument from the Gem Store. Why? Because my Guilds are Musician Guilds, and the Harp, the Bass, the Flute, and the Horn are the main instruments we seek and need for most performances.

So let's round the number off to 700 Members between my 2 Musician Guilds (since at least 100 of my Guildies own every Gem Store instrument) x 800 Gems for each Member who has/owns at least 1 Gem Store instrument and that = 560,000 Gems / 5 = 112,000 Gold / 160 Gold for just 1 instrument = 700 Guildies who own only 1 instrument x $10 = $7,000. And since the Gold to Gems ratio is not exact, you subtract -10% from $7,000 and you get $6,300

Now add $5,400 + $6,300 and you get $11,700 just between my 2 Musician Guilds alone. Given those numbers, that money value runs into the many more thousands of dollars when you add into the equation other players throughout the game who own instruments outside of Musician Guilds.

Even if you slash $11,700 by 40% (assuming those who obtained their instruments bought them instead with Gold farmed from scratch), that is still $7,020 spent on instrument just to press between 16-24 keys (depending on the instrument being played and its Octave limit of 2 or 3 Octaves).

Therefore, given those numbers, not including the numbers from players who own instruments outside of Musician Guilds, and not including the fact a decent portion of instruments were likely not bought at the cheap Gold to Gems ratio of 1:5, the instruments should be treated as a priority.

@"Hitman.5829" said:Oh man, are you anonymous1 in the music box webpage? I was wondering why all the wonderful music you made was gone about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Glad to hear you guys have a project for more music and that you have backup of all of those music.

Absolutely not. anonymous1 was a new account name created by the problematic gw2mb user, The Ben Efits, who then also got his anonymous1 account banned.

anonymous1 is the same user I reported to the gw2mb founder (who chose to do nothing) for publicly insulting me and my Guild [boBd] (at the time), for spreading many false claims (notably accusing me of using macros just because I shared macros, which was disproved in a 1-hour+ live performance video I created), and for forging and spreading false information I disproved with recorded videos, PMs, and screenshots, a toxic, jealous gw2mb user who published fourth-rate tabs who ultimately sought out to outdo me and smear my reputation in the Guild Wars 2 musician community in the process (and failed to do so).

Furthermore, the only reason the gw2mb founder had no choice but to ban anonymous1/The Ben Efits (finally) is because I shared once more too much proof of his toxic behavior in the musician community to begin with, for had the gw2mb founder not banned him, he would have doubly validated my evidence made public against him that he was deliberately negligent toward the evidence I provided him regarding the toxicity of the user whom I had a problem with, and he would have doubly validated my evidence made public against him for utilized abuse of administrator power by banning me instead of said problematic user to avoid having to answer for his wrongs, to avoid having to try and right his wrongs that would have ultimately tangled him in a web of many lies, anyway.

And for those reasons, a new music site is being created, projected to release before 2019.

P.S. Here is the live performance video I spoke of in the above stated that proves I do not only know how to compose music, but I also know how to play it via through the use of a USB Midi keyboard. And here is a link that proves Midi Keyboard support for the GW2 in-game instruments exists: https://github.com/michaelhester07/gw2musician

The video starts at 7:43. Proof of no macros being run in my System Tray can be found at 1:23:05. I even demonstrate backtracking to previous parts of songs several times, instrument swapping in between songs more than several times, as well even going as far to hide the entire User Interface when playing a slow, chill version of the Booker T & the M G 's - Green Onions theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdbVxevLG7A

Thank you for looking into this, Anet. My Musician Guilds take music very seriously, and so do I.Valdrimari

@Eidolonemesis.5640 said:anonymous1 is the same user I reported to the gw2mb founder (who chose to do nothing) for publicly insulting me and my Guild [boBd] (at the time), for spreading many false claims (notably accusing me of using macros just because I shared macros, which was disproved in a 1-hour+ live performance video I created), and for forging and spreading false information I disproved with recorded videos, PMs, and screenshots, a toxic, jealous gw2mb user who published fourth-rate tabs who ultimately sought out to outdo me and smear my reputation in the Guild Wars 2 musician community in the process (and failed to do so).

Well, glad things are working fine for you. All we GW2 want is more music so we can enjoy playing it with musical instruments and macros.I am happy you are making a new page with music for 2019. Let us know when you launch that page.

Therefore, given those numbers, not including the numbers from players who own instruments outside of Musician Guilds, and not including the fact a decent portion of instruments were likely not bought at the cheap Gold to Gems ratio of 1:5, the instruments should be treated as a priority.

I think you underestimate the number of people who don't own any instruments and who are affected by other stuff.I agree with you that this is worth fixing. I just hope you can see how it's only blocking for a fraction of players, not enough to disrupt the development process.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

I think you underestimate the number of people who don't own any instruments and who are affected by other stuff.I agree with you that this is worth fixing. I just hope you can see how it's only blocking for a fraction of players, not enough to disrupt the development process.

This is absolutely true. I have some of the instruments, but i despise hearing them so much i dont allow any of them to be heard. The number of players this affects is a much smaller portion than the ones who dont care(like myself), or arent affected by this in any way. Hopefully its fixed for christmas, so you yall can go caroling, but if it a fix isnt found i wouldnt be to surprised.