How did you manage to get such phenomenal sound of the Scarabs? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

How did you manage to get such phenomenal sound of the Scarabs?

In this particular cutscene in the first chapter of the 3rd episode: Long Live the Lich.

This sound of the Scarabs is so dreadfully beautiful, if that makes sense.

What did you use to cause those sounds?

The wound is the place where the Light enters you ~Stephane Lo Presti

Tagged:

Comments

• I can answer this one! We covered this exact question on an episode of Guild Chat. Here's video with an explanation of how they did it and some footage of the guys creating the sound. (Remember: You asked. ;) )

• Thanks Rubi, that video definitely goes into more detail, but we created some props to mimic cicada like insect sounds and heavily leveraged recordings of actual cicadas Drew captured in Malaysia.

This cinematic itself came in pretty hot (late) and there was limited scope of what we could do visually because of the lack of time so we decided audio could sell the horror instead. We took the assets the in-game of the scarab plague and hyped them up a bit with gore sounds of scarabs consuming the characters on screen as well as driving up this wall of sound which was recorded binauraly to try and drive of the oppressive nature of these creatures burrowing into your head....Sounds so twisted, but thank you for the kind words!

Chris Burgess
    Sound Designer

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Chris Burgess.1863 said:
    Thanks Rubi, that video definitely goes into more detail, but we created some props to mimic cicada like insect sounds and heavily leveraged recordings of actual cicadas Drew captured in Malaysia.

This cinematic itself came in pretty hot (late) and there was limited scope of what we could do visually because of the lack of time so we decided audio could sell the horror instead. We took the assets the in-game of the scarab plague and hyped them up a bit with gore sounds of scarabs consuming the characters on screen as well as driving up this wall of sound which was recorded binauraly to try and drive of the oppressive nature of these creatures burrowing into your head....Sounds so twisted, but thank you for the kind words!

Definitely creepy- both idea and performance.

I'm jealous about Your job! It sounds and looks like a LOT of fun!

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Rubi Bayer.8493 said:
    I can answer this one! We covered this exact question on an episode of Guild Chat. Here's video with an explanation of how they did it and some footage of the guys creating the sound. (Remember: You asked. ;) )

Oh I missed it!!!! NOOO!
    As would Trahearne say: Mother Tree, Forgive me!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.