Do raids need easy/normal/hard difficulty mode? [merged]

Lonami.2987

@Tyson.5160 said:

@Yggdrasiln.5240 said:I don't think giving raiding a bit of wiggle room is a bad idea?

Maybe it shouldn’t be training for normal, but a place where all the people with the grocery list of reasons they don’t Raid, can go.

why should anet use there ressources to make raids for people who don´t like raids? wouldn´t that be better spent on LS updates? don´t get me wrong here, mmo´s are like a themepark with various attractions for various people. not everyone needs to like the same rides. you still have dungeons and t1-t2 fractals if you are more into a chill expierence. (and obviously the easy encounters, which are already in the raids and can be done be people without any clue in a reasonable amount of time)

@"STIHL.2489" said:

I don't see anything in there about marketing the game for hardcore players and raids. So try again.

I hope my My point is made... but even if I posted [other links]

No your point wasn't made, you posted links about the raid team talking about raids. Not proving that the game was MARKETED for hardcore raiders. So try again and post links that actually prove your point. I'll be waiting for your links that prove your point.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"mortrialus.3062" said:No one called mount skins P2W. They were called out for being too similar to lootboxes, which have been a hot topic since Overwatch's influence exploded them into more and more games; manipulative RNG pachinko machines. Especially since the specter of spending money on the gem store wanting a specific mount skin, and walking away without wanted felt like it went against everything the gem store stood for by being so much more fair than other F2P games.

This is so wrong it;s not even funny.. Not only did they call the Mount Skins P2W, you make it seem like this game didn't have BLC in the game since the start (Which are directly loot boxes, and that is just stating the obvious), Black Lion Weapon Skins, anyone? Not to mention that a vast number of other purely cosmetic stuff in the store is also sold in RNG Loot Box Style, which have been a staple since the Start like Dye Packs, Minis, etc. So, again the ridiculousness of Mount Gate, will never be lost on me, because mount skins were just like the other existing RNG of the Store... and yes.. they called it P2W, I think I i have seen them still cal it P2W.

For some one asking others to refrain from lying often, the amount of stretching you do here to fit your agenda is insane.

Mount skins were absolutely NOT called pay to win.

Again.. you seem to forget, that I was there, yes they were, and for quite some time after as well. Reilly showed me how worthless the like P2W had become. in fact Mount gate killed any P2W cries for me.

So it's your word against mine and most other peoples who have posted so far since we were "all there".

Well that and the logical fallacy that mounts skins have any bearing on any type of "winning" as well as that the, by now remedied, rng acquisition method actually would make sense logically to have aggravated people.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Mount skins were absolutely NOT called pay to win.

Again.. you seem to forget, that I was there, yes they were, and for quite some time after as well. Reilly showed me how worthless the like P2W had become. in fact Mount gate killed any P2W cries for me.

Pics or it didn't happen

There were indeed a few people saying that it was p2w. Like there are a few people crying about p2w for almost any change in the game. Most people however preferred to concentrate on the real issue.

The real issue which was never really addressed, by the way (new licenses do have non-rng options, but the original, problematic one was never changed).

Still, concentrating on few outliers and trying to claim that was the core of the issue people had then is definitely intentionally misleading.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"STIHL.2489" said:

I don't see anything in there about marketing the game for hardcore players and raids. So try again.

I hope my My point is made... but even if I posted [other links]

No your point wasn't made, you posted links about the raid team talking about raids. Not proving that the game was MARKETED for hardcore raiders. So try again and post links that actually prove your point. I'll be waiting for your links that prove your point.Oh, it was marketed. Unfortunately most of it is gone now, but if you dig deeper you will see things like their presence on pax east 2014, where all the devs were talking about were raids and PvP, and how hard and fabulous it's going to be (example:
).Seriously, things like the long and hard raid attunements were presented as a
positive
feature. And at the time, pretty much all you could hear about the game was about endgame content and how it was going to be harder than WoW.

And i do distinctly remember one of their marketing taglines, which happened to be "Get ready for hardcore MMO with Wildstar". They did change their tune later on, and started mentioning things like housing and marketing more for casuals, but it was only after their initial post-launch fail.

Seriously, it was a common knowledge before launch, it remained a common knowledge post launch, and it is a common knowledge now. You can keep ignoring that, but it won;t change the facts.

@"Astralporing.1957" said:Unfortunately most of it is gone now, but if you dig deeper you will see things like their presence on pax east 2014, where all the devs were talking about were raids and PvP, and how hard and fabulous it's going to be (example: http://www.onrpg.com/news/editorial/wildstar-pax-east-2014-re-cap/).

Bold for emphasis.

Take a look at what Wildstar is or rather was:

Reddit AMA on Wildstar:https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/v29wc/iama_18_year_mmo_industry_vet_and_executive/

A few reviews:https://www.polygon.com/2014/7/7/5879017/wildstar-review-pchttps://www.gamespot.com/reviews/wildstar-review/1900-6415807/https://www.gamerevolution.com/review/64693-wildstar-review

Nothing anywhere about this game created for Raids. This is the failed argument by those that hate raids that appeared after Wildstar failed. People that still keep on posting how a "game based on raids failed, so raids are bad" even though that's beyond a lie.

And the honest question: did you play Wildstar? Because if you didn't, posting random tidbits doesn't prove anything. I did and this "the game was focused solely on Raids" is a blatant lie by the anti-raid crowd, it makes them feel good that a supposedly raid focused game failed.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"STIHL.2489" said:

Just so we are clear.. You missed this under the first link: When I said "

"

You totally did not see the:

WildStarOnline Published on May 13, 2014Are you hardcore? WildStar raids are not for the faint of heart, and we're ready to prove that with this DevSpeak. Mega bosses and hostile environments are ready to destroy you in the most insane raids Nexus has ever known.

Well if you missed that, I don't see a point in trying again, since you turned a total blind eye to what you were given.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"mortrialus.3062" said:No one called mount skins P2W. They were called out for being too similar to lootboxes, which have been a hot topic since Overwatch's influence exploded them into more and more games; manipulative RNG pachinko machines. Especially since the specter of spending money on the gem store wanting a specific mount skin, and walking away without wanted felt like it went against everything the gem store stood for by being so much more fair than other F2P games.

This is so wrong it;s not even funny.. Not only did they call the Mount Skins P2W, you make it seem like this game didn't have BLC in the game since the start (Which are directly loot boxes, and that is just stating the obvious), Black Lion Weapon Skins, anyone? Not to mention that a vast number of other purely cosmetic stuff in the store is also sold in RNG Loot Box Style, which have been a staple since the Start like Dye Packs, Minis, etc. So, again the ridiculousness of Mount Gate, will never be lost on me, because mount skins were just like the other existing RNG of the Store... and yes.. they called it P2W, I think I i have seen them still cal it P2W.

For some one asking others to refrain from lying often, the amount of stretching you do here to fit your agenda is insane.

So it's your word against mine and most other peoples who have posted so far since we were "all there".

Well that and the logical fallacy that mounts skins have any bearing on any type of "winning" as well as that the, by now remedied, rng acquisition method actually would make sense logically to have aggravated people.

Given that some people have shown to have very tinted glasses in this discussion..

But just so we are clear, they did not change anything, they simply said, "We need to do this to make money,.. how would you like to be fleeced?" and after some consideration, they went with the High Dollar packs with Little to no RNG. Which is what Mount Skins are at now.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@mortrialus.3062 said:No one called mount skins P2W. They were called out for being too similar to lootboxes, which have been a hot topic since Overwatch's influence exploded them into more and more games; manipulative RNG pachinko machines. Especially since the specter of spending money on the gem store wanting a specific mount skin, and walking away without wanted felt like it went against everything the gem store stood for by being so much more fair than other F2P games.

Pics or it didn't happen

Given @maddoctor.2738 responses. pics don't work either.

@STIHL.2489 said:

Given that some people have shown to have very tinted glasses in this discussion..

But just so we are clear, they did not change anything, they simply said, "We need to do this to make money,.. how would you like to be fleeced?" and after some consideration, they went with the High Dollar packs with Little to no RNG. Which is what Mount Skins are at now.

and none of any of that is pay to win.

@"STIHL.2489" said:Well if you missed that, I don't see a point in trying again, since you turned a total blind eye to what you were given.

I guess you missed the release trailer and the developer ama that I posted and has nothing about Wildstar = hardcore Raids.You give me a video titled: "WildStar DevSpeak: Raids" I didn't miss it, I already know about that video.I wonder why in the world in a video that covers the subject of raids, they talk about raids.... did they say anything about Raids being the only thing in Wildstar? No. Did they say that Raids will be the FOCUS of Wildstar (as you claim)? No.Now I'm gonna make an honest question, did you actually watch the video you yourself posted? Did you at least read the title of the video you posted?

It's like watching the trailer for Raids of GW2 and calling the game "all about hardcore Raids". Here a video like the one you posted but this time for GW2:

As I said, try again by posting something, anything, that can prove your claims. You haven't done so yet.

Notice the similarities:"Are you hardcore? WildStar raids are not for the faint of heart""They are 10-player, instanced content that will introduce very challenging bosses, epic encounters, and more!"

@Cyninja.2954 said:

I agree totally.. didn't stop people from calling it such tho.

(Which was my whole point. in case you missed that)

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Notice the similarities:"Are you hardcore? WildStar raids are not for the faint of heart""They are 10-player, instanced content that will introduce very challenging bosses, epic encounters, and more!"

Yes.. I did notice that.. similarity between Wildstar and HoT.

I also noticed Anet going "Oh shit, we are sorry about that stupid Hardcore thing we tried, silly us,, here is a whole expansion of casual friendly stuff for you to enjoy called PoF, please forgive our stupid mistake"

@STIHL.2489 said:

Which you have no yet in any way proven, not even by basic logic which I had pointed out.

What did you say earlier?

@STIHL.2489 said:Given that some people have shown to have very tinted glasses in this discussion..

That's "the pot calling the kettle black" right there.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Which you have no yet in any way proven, not even by basic logic which I had pointed out.

What did you say earlier?

@STIHL.2489 said:Given that some people have shown to have very tinted glasses in this discussion..

That's "the pot calling the kettle black" right there.

This whole topic has been pots and kettles.. did you just get that now?

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Notice the similarities:"Are you hardcore? WildStar raids are not for the faint of heart""They are 10-player, instanced content that will introduce very challenging bosses, epic encounters, and more!"

I also noticed Anet going "Oh kitten, we are sorry about that stupid Hardcore thing we tried, silly us,, here is a whole expansion of casual friendly stuff for you to enjoy called PoF, please forgive our stupid mistake"

Cause they aren't developing pvp (2v2) new raids etc. And there where no negative reactions to pof absolutely.

It's easy to miss the things you don't want to see I guess.

@"yann.1946" said:I apparently lost it but how does 1 or 2 people calling mountadoption licenses p2w relate to this topic?

Glad you asked. See, the idea here is "Are Raids Profitable", which is a point regarding their access, and keeping them Niche content.

The thing here is that Anet uses a system where they sell unrelated cosmetic items and various consumables/bank space in the store and then use the sales money from those items to fund development of other parts of the game.

This making it so that is is very hard to track what retains players and keeps sales up. IE: It's near impossible to see what content is in fact profitable.

Now I argued that this is the worst way to fund game development, if they sold additional content individually they would know what sells among their population and could focus on that. To understand this, they already have several existing dungeons in the core game of GW2, all linked to the Personal Story. These would remain free and part of the core game, then they would then make additional Dungeons and sell them Individually. if they sold well enough (IE: Self funded their own development) they would make and sell more of them.

There was a bit of dissent on this topic and mu opponents brought up the outrage regarding Mount Skin, and the like (IE: Players don't like spending money. and wanty everything for free. imagine that).. but, if they sold content directly, they would not need to be as aggressive in how they sold cosmetics in the store, in fact, they could remove store cosmetics from the game overall, and just put them directly in the Content itself, so players could buy say a World Map, or a Dungeon, or Fractal Map, that unlocked a new skin for each mount, or a special custom weapon set, maybe a unique mask style, etc.. Thus making it so players had to play the game for their pretty items, and not just open their wallets.

But.. you know.. if I said anything there are a whole group of people on this forum that would argue and disagree with me no matter what.

@"STIHL.2489" said:I also noticed Anet going "Oh kitten, we are sorry about that stupid Hardcore thing we tried, silly us,, here is a whole expansion of casual friendly stuff for you to enjoy called PoF, please forgive our stupid mistake"

Cause they stopped developing Raids... PoF having more casual friend stuff to enjoy is arguable.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"STIHL.2489" said:I also noticed Anet going "Oh kitten, we are sorry about that stupid Hardcore thing we tried, silly us,, here is a whole expansion of casual friendly stuff for you to enjoy called PoF, please forgive our stupid mistake"

Cause they stopped developing Raids... PoF having more casual friend stuff to enjoy is arguable.

Given you think "Housing" is casual content, it's not a discussion I would have with you about what is casual friendly content.

@yann.1946 said:

I also noticed Anet going "Oh kitten, we are sorry about that stupid Hardcore thing we tried, silly us,, here is a whole expansion of casual friendly stuff for you to enjoy called PoF, please forgive our stupid mistake"

Cause they aren't developing pvp (2v2) new raids etc. And there where no negative reactions to pof absolutely.

It's easy to miss the things you don't want to see I guess.

Very true, I noticed a lot of people making complainants about PoF, in fact.. maybe more then fussed about HoT, but after HoT their numbers tanked like a lead balloon, and now after PoF the numbers are coming back, as such the people that loved HoT and hated PoF are not really their profit demographic. Sometimes you gotta pick your battles, and when it comes to MMO's, if you want to stay alive, you side with the people that are willing to pay for their hobby.

Keep in mind, Casuals are not going to come to the forms in mass to make demands, they are casual simply because they do not have that kind of time to waste on a game, they will simply quietly stop playing and move on. Anet and many other developers would do well to understand that.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"yann.1946" said:I apparently lost it but how does 1 or 2 people calling mountadoption licenses p2w relate to this topic?

Glad you asked. See, the idea here is "Are Raids Profitable", which is a point regarding their access, and keeping them Niche content.

The thing here is that Anet uses a system where they sell unrelated cosmetic items and various consumables/bank space in the store and then use the sales money from those items to fund development of other parts of the game.

This making it so that is is very hard to track what retains players and keeps sales up. IE: It's near impossible to see what content is in fact profitable.

Now I argued that this is the worst way to fund game development, if they sold additional content individually they would know what sells among their population and could focus on that. To understand this, they already have several existing dungeons in the core game of GW2, all linked to the Personal Story. These would remain free and part of the core game, then they would then make additional Dungeons and sell them Individually. if they sold well enough (IE: Self funded their own development) they would make and sell more of them.

There was a bit of dissent on this topic and mu opponents brought up the outrage regarding Mount Skin, and the like (IE: Players don't like spending money. and wanty everything for free. imagine that).. but, if they sold content directly, they would not need to be as aggressive in how they sold cosmetics in the store, in fact, they could remove store cosmetics from the game overall, and just put them directly in the Content itself, so players could buy say a World Map, or a Dungeon, or Fractal Map, that unlocked a new skin for each mount, or a special custom weapon set, maybe a unique mask style, etc.. Thus making it so players had to play the game for their pretty items, and not just open their wallets.

But.. you know.. if I said anything there are a whole group of people on this forum that would argue and disagree with me no matter what.

I find it interesting you look at people as opponents. I'm still not sure what the p2w argument of some person on mountgate is relevent to this tho?

On a sidenote do you really think people are arguing against you because they want to argue against you?

@STIHL.2489 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:I also noticed Anet going "Oh kitten, we are sorry about that stupid Hardcore thing we tried, silly us,, here is a whole expansion of casual friendly stuff for you to enjoy called PoF, please forgive our stupid mistake"

Given you think "Housing" is casual content, it's not a discussion I would have with you about what is casual friendly content.

Housing is by definition casual content since it doesn't take any amount of skill neither requires much effort (unless it's like GW2 guild halls maybe).

Now since Anet never stopped developing anything that was given in HoT and at the same time made things worse in PoF in other areas (meta events) the big question is which expansion is more successful. The "hardcore" one or the "casual" one. And note those are your definitions because anyone that calls the two expansions that, probably has no clue what those two words mean.

@STIHL.2489 said:Very true, I noticed a lot of people making complainants about PoF, in fact.. maybe more then fussed about HoT, but after HoT their numbers tanked like a lead balloon, and now after PoF the numbers are coming back, as such the people that loved HoT and hated PoF are not really their profit demographic. Sometimes you gotta pick your battles, and when it comes to MMO's, if you want to stay alive, you side with the people that are willing to pay for their hobby.

I wonder how much of the difference is made by Mount Skins.... those sell really well, HoT had nothing similar to sell and this has absolutely nothing to do with content or difficulty.

@yann.1946 said:On a sidenote do you really think people are arguing against you because they want to argue against you?

Absolutely.

@yann.1946 said:I'm still not sure what the p2w argument of some person on mountgate is relevent to this tho?

Oh .. yah.. that.. well a bit back.. during the idea selling DLC, I made a note that people calling Mountgate P2W made me laugh... and you know.. people just HAD to disagree with me. .. and lo here we are.

Which kinda answers your above question.

This was an interesting thread to read, and in all honesty I think the reason why fractals are so loved in the community is because they have a tier grouping. So people with low AR can't run with someone with high AR. I kind of like that because they have to work their way up the ladder. Kind of like how PvP doesn't allow people to do ranked matches until they reach rank 20. This is fair and it allows people to understand mechanics so we don't have people showing up with low stats and getting everyone to wipe. I would like to see stuff like a rating system for players. I have been in LFG raids where a newly boosted players will hop into raiding first thing they do and they have no idea how abilities, specs, or mechanics work. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum. These rankings will be like WvW in a way so if you are gone from the game for like a year the game will tick down slightly. Not a lot, but slightly. That way in matchmaking for raiding you will have people with high ratings and low ratings. Also, yes I see this can be a problem and can allow elitists single out players, which is why it would be nice if they had various versions of raiding. So you can have raiding separate into two groups Normal which is like what we have now, but has some slight instructional methods to it and Godhood or Legendary where people can do raiding, but without the easy boss events that occur which can frustrate players who want to be challenged.

For those who don't want raiding to change. Ok fine, lets have a special wing put in that can show people how to raid and mechanics of basic raiding. Kind of like a tutorial much like story missions can have when you are starting as a noob. When you do this it can have a 'fake' boss that can demonstrate various attacks and the importance of various positions and roles to take. You can specialize it by class too and have a fun story behind each invidividual class.

Though in all honesty other areas of the game need heavy improvement and they need to work there instead. This game has its issues like most games and everyone has their own opinion of how things should go. Honestly, I find raiding enjoyable, but only if I have a good krewe or team.